• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2006-08-24, 03:38 PM   #121
Brimstone
Unicron

Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosalie
Also, please stop pretending. You would not have thought of this until you saw the new movie designs. It's a defense in Retrospect and please at least admit that.
Wow....

I really don't know how to respond to that. I guess Cliffy did it just fine though.

There's no pretending. I think I've stated from the beginning that this has all just been speculation on my part for why they designed these things the way they did. But the that the more I think about it, the more it makes sense, to me at least.

I mean...Transformers with toes, I have to admire that kind of attention to detail. Whether you accept that I do or not.

-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-24, 04:30 PM   #122
trilobitepictures
Dinobot

In a house. With walls even. I'M NORMAL!

Quote:
Originally posted by trilobitepictures
That's the magic of CGI... it doesn't have to REALLY function. It just has to look like it does.
Is it possible to take a blocky design like, oh... this...

And give it more of an ability for movement other than what the toy was designed for? Kinda, yes...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bsw6LzWbpFQ

Is there cheating involved with the animation? Oh, hell yes. Animation is nothing but cheating. So is making a film, for that matter. But they CAN get believable movement from the old designs. And yes, polys do intersect from time-to-time, but so do the pro's animations. With tinkering that would all be fixed long before picture plock. Point is, the drastic changes are because they want to make the changes, not for "believability".

"It goes 'bing' when there's stuff."

Last edited by trilobitepictures; 2006-08-24 at 04:37 PM.
trilobitepictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-24, 04:35 PM   #123
Mikotron

Edinboro,Pennsylvania usa

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevermore
"Of" is not a verb.
Remind me to proofread my own statements before submitting them.

"would have just shot" and "would have not died" is that better.

Damn, I did it twice.

I guess I should not post anything at 2:45 in the morning anymore. Too tired. Can't think straight.

Ba weep granna weep ninni - BONG

Last edited by Mikotron; 2006-08-24 at 04:40 PM.
Mikotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-24, 05:29 PM   #124
Brimstone
Unicron

Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally posted by trilobitepictures
And give it more of an ability for movement other than what the toy was designed for? Kinda, yes...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bsw6LzWbpFQ

Is there cheating involved with the animation? Oh, hell yes. Animation is nothing but cheating.
I guess I just disagree. This is worse than the car comercial (as far as believability...but as an upgraded Soundwave clip, it's awesome!)

Would this make for an awesome Transformers animated show? Hell yes! But I don't think it would work as a "live action" show. They just wouldn't hold any weight next to real live actors in live shots. All the more so because you have to cheat to make these examples work.

-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 01:53 PM   #125
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Seeing as how everyone else is, thought I'd just give my two cents on the whole movie design thing...

I understand many people are a bit peeved at the designs, and I can get that.

I, personally, think they a brilliant, though.

The film was never gonna be a live action representation of G1 robots (or any other series, for that matter). It is it's own entity, and it's totally understandable that they've gone for their own look, aside from any technical considerations.

Besides, I'd guess a lot of people would be complaining if the designs were just identical to some previous TF series!

I do think that alternator-style robots would just not have worked, for the whole articulation thing. Also, we've already got Alternators and Binaltech - personally, I want something new from the movie.

The designs are quite radical, considering past TF incarnations, but the TF designs have been moving on of late anyway - Alternators were a step in this direction (certainly with those, such as Tracks, where the car is almost a shell hiding a robot 'skeleton' within).

For the whole motion thing, they really do need to have a far more flexible frame than any other past design could possible provide, and the skeletons they have look to provide for this.

Also, TFs are aliens that turn into things as a disguise - the more defined robot modes here enforce the alien nature, and you could easily imagine the same forms being able to transform into different alternate modes in different circumstances with minimal alteration to the appearance of the robot mode, which I think is pretty cool!

(Although - I still reserve judgement on 'Starscream'... A name change could help the life of the design [would make an excellent Dreadwing - but those legs are shockingly bad!)

Also, as to joints and armour, I really think that thsi makes no difference to a movie design. I'm happy to accept that for whatever reason, these alien robots stand up pretty well with the joints they've got.

And the toys? By God they better be able to Transform!

numbat is offline   Reply With Quote