Old 2006-09-14, 08:44 PM   #1
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany
Default [MOVIE SPOILER] **** possibily NOT to make a movie appearance

The Ark.

http://www.d13satellite.com/donmurph...054#post731054

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Roberto Orci[i]One of the questions we always had about the ark:

Why would aliens who moonlight as vehicles need other vehicles to travel inside?
Why do humans who can walk with their legs need a car to travel inside?

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 08:48 PM   #2
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Default Re: [MOVIE SPOILER] **** possibily NOT to make a movie appearance

The Ark.

Who.... who said that? I don't mind not showing the Ark.. but that as the REASON?!

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 08:50 PM   #3
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Red face

He gets that it's an interplanetary vessel, right?

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 08:53 PM   #4
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Yeh, I have no problem with no showing/mention of the Ark... Just as long as they don't give a crap explanation - I hope the quote's a bit out of context...

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 08:58 PM   #5
Halfshell

Smile

Aye, it's by no means integral to the story.

"Why would they need a spaceship seeing as they have compatriots who can turn into spaceships?" is a valid query. "Why would they need a spaceship when they can turn into vehicles" is a slight oversimplification which misses the point massively.

Old 2006-09-14, 09:22 PM   #6
T.V.

Quote:
Originally posted by Brendocon
He gets that it's an interplanetary vessel, right?
Isn't Megatron as wel?

Putting my own spin on it, humans advance by building increasingly complex tools, like cars, tanks, hammers, etc.
Transformers on the other hand, become tools.
The don't build a car or a hammer, they transform into one.
If they want to travel interstellar distances, they design alt modes capable of such feats.

That's IMO also the underlying philosophy why the movie bots don't have firearms, but rather have parts of their body transform into weapons, much like T-X from Terminator III is able to.

Furthermore, why would a TF use a giant spaceship to travel such a distance, if a Space Bridge is available?
Seems to me that TFs travel much like Jodi Foster's character ultimately does in the climax of Contact.
They exit the Space Bridge just shy of the atmosphere, entering it in heat resisant pods they function much like the Gemini, Apollo and Sojoez pods, and the future Space Shuttle replacement.

Ah...forget it!

Last edited by T.V.; 2006-09-14 at 09:25 PM.
T.V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 09:24 PM   #7
Halfshell

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by T.V.
Isn't Megatron as wel?
Yes. And I'm sure he's more than amenable to the Autobots hitching a lift in him whenever they need to get about a bit.

Old 2006-09-14, 09:55 PM   #8
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Yeah, Prowl can just.. ya know.. completely rebuild himself at any time for any purpose.. just like we can convert a tank into a space shuttle while on the battlefield.

Old 2006-09-14, 09:57 PM   #9
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

I just had this idea for a premature April Fool's joke:

"We were thinking: Why would alien robots that disguise as Earth vehicles need to transform into humanoid robots anyways? So ultimately we had no reason to have them transform anymore. Which was kind of convenient, because Bay was afraid that using a name such as 'Transformers' would tie the movie to old stuff, which would drive people off from watching it. So we decided to get rid of the robots transfoming thing and renamed the project 'SPACEBOTS'."

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 11:35 PM   #10
jhlucas

Mississippi, USA
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevermore
I just had this idea for a premature April Fool's joke:

"We were thinking: Why would alien robots that disguise as Earth vehicles need to transform into humanoid robots anyways? So ultimately we had no reason to have them transform anymore. Which was kind of convenient, because Bay was afraid that using a name such as 'Transformers' would tie the movie to old stuff, which would drive people off from watching it. So we decided to get rid of the robots transfoming thing and renamed the project 'SPACEBOTS'."

Oh, that's good!

The Ark was what it was: a means of high-capacity transportation. How many bots could turn into something that big (not counting Unicron and Primus)? Fort-Max, maybe?

jhlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 04:14 PM   #11
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
The Ark was what it was: a means of high-capacity transportation. How many bots could turn into something that big (not counting Unicron and Primus)? Fort-Max, maybe?
Not many. Astrotrain (in shuttle mode), Sky Lynx, Broadside (in some episodes), Fort Max, Scorponok, Trypticon, Metroplex (as a guess, we never see him doing it), Brave Max, Grand Max, Tidal Wave (manga), and Omega Supreme (G1 cartoon only).

I was SO hoping that the script had ditched the magic 'nano-ball' concept.. doesn't sound like it's changed much at all from the last leaked script, really.

And, you know, human-like metallic faces are unrealistic and impossible! Except for the holloween statuary I saw in Target yesterday which did JUST THAT.

Is it safe to say that the creative staff on this movie are morons yet?

Old 2006-09-15, 06:09 PM   #12
Notabot
Lutheran

Lowden, IA

Don't forget Cosmos. I distinctly remember a G1 episode of several autobots riding through space in the cavernous innards of wee little Cosmos.

Notabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 10:04 PM   #13
AutobotJazz
Dinobot

Unsure

Ah then you must have missed the episode where Cosmos gets his Tardis circuit added...big celebration had by all!

Thanks to StoneCold Skywarp for the Sig
AutobotJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 04:34 PM   #14
jhlucas

Mississippi, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Notabot
Don't forget Cosmos. I distinctly remember a G1 episode of several autobots riding through space in the cavernous innards of wee little Cosmos.
Ahhh...the joys of plot holes wiped away by mass-shifting.

Not that I have a problem with mass-shifting in general. I mean, come on, if we can accept sentient-transforming-alien-robots, laser rifles, the whole quasi-mystical matrix, and the planet-eating demon Unicron...is mass-shifting really THAT big an issue?

Back to the thread topic...I totally agree with Nevermore's reasoning. TFs would use huge spacecraft for multiple reasons, but namely one: in the absence of a gigantic bot (i.e. Fortress Maximus, etc) or a space-bridge, huge ships are efficient for mass-transportation.

jhlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 04:52 PM   #15
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Ah, yes, the bug spray episode. Wonder why I blocked THAT from my mind. (Actually, it was executed pretty well, just a really stupid premise, though...)

Old 2006-09-16, 09:05 PM   #16
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Originally posted by TFVanguard
Ah, yes, the bug spray episode. Wonder why I blocked THAT from my mind. (Actually, it was executed pretty well, just a really stupid premise, though...)
And even then it was only Bumblebee and Spike. And don't forget Hoist driving Huffer in one episode.

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 10:55 PM   #17
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Tetsuro
And don't forget Hoist driving Huffer in one episode.
That has to be one of the biggest "WTF?" moments in the kids' show, just because it was meant to look like that and someone really thought it made sense...

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-17, 06:51 PM   #18
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Brendocon
Yes. And I'm sure he's more than amenable to the Autobots hitching a lift in him whenever they need to get about a bit.
Well, considering how stupid Megatron usually is, it'd probably all be part of some cunning plan.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-18, 12:33 PM   #19
Clogs
has retired, boo-yah!

Leicester, in the Heart of England

Don't forget that the Ark (allegedly, errm) carried non-active TFs on the voyage that ended with the crash on Earth. So, we're looking at more of a complex spaceship a la Enterprise than a Transforming spaceship; we have a lot of tales showing that non-sentient etc vehicles were built and used on and off Cybertron.

And now have an image of assorted 'bots thumbing a lift as Megs goes by. Cheers for that!

Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote