Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2006-09-25, 07:23 PM   #21
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Okay, shouty boy, tell me how this isn't 'real' Transformers (most awesome idiot fanboy criticism ever, btw...
Aye. The only criteria something needs in order to qualify as "real" Transformers is to have a Hasbro endorsement. Or a Takara one. Or, in times past, a Kenner one. Who were... sort of Hasbro anyway, so my point still stands.

Machine Wars wasn't real Transformers, yo.

I want a movie based on the Ladybird books. Specifically the one where Hot Rod gets new hubcaps, or whatever it was.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-25, 08:08 PM   #22
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

Doesn't look too bad, I guess. Some of the design cues are there, although the Pontiac emblem on his chest is a bit of a distractor.......

But then, all I've seen so far is the Prime on the poster pic, the "Mogwai" Bumblebee face, this, and the Megatron/potential lawsuit from whatever company owns the Boomer design copyright from the original Bubblegum Crisis, so I may not be the best judge......

Now, if they could just throw in the Matrini Porsche racing stripes......

Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-25, 09:34 PM   #23
Mabus
Headmaster

S. L'derry, N. Ireland, U.K.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ford DeceptiFocus
I hate it immensely. About the only redeeming thing about it is the visor. Can someone please explain to me how THAT is supposed to turn into a Pontiac Soltice without MASSIVE amounts of morphing and prayer? And how in the hell are they going to turn THAT into a toy that transforms?

HUGE THUMBS DOWN.

How is that suppossed to transform into a Pontiac? Just the same as how THIS suppossedly transforms into something

Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-25, 10:15 PM   #24
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Mabus
How is that suppossed to transform into a Pontiac? Just the same as how THIS suppossedly transforms into something
Pronged Megatron! He transforms into...A PRONGED...SOMETHING!

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-25, 10:29 PM   #25
Brimstone
Unicron

Houston, TX

That's pretty slick.

Now, the question is...what are we looking at exactly? I mean, this is the first we've seen of this art style (this matches the design styles we've seen all along, but the art style is different). Didn't they say they were going to do a comic book adaptation of the movie? Because to me, that's what this looks like. A comic book design adaptation based on the movie designs. Which I like (but also probably accounts for why it looks slightly less complicated than the others we've seen).

Anyway, I like it...although I was kind of diggin' the big pointy ears from the other design we've seen. I'm glad they stayed with the visor, though.

I am curious, though, how they're going to make Jazz (a Solstice) not be smaller than Bumblebee, a Camero. And they are both going to be absolutely dwarfed by Starscream, Bonecrusher, and Brawl. (and I suppose Megatron, too)

-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-25, 10:42 PM   #26
CounterPunch
One with the Matrix

What?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Okay, shouty boy, tell me how this isn't 'real' Transformers (most awesome idiot fanboy criticism ever, btw... the only REAL Transformer we've yet seen was that maniac who cut up that Mini). Cover that and I'll be mighty impressed.

Not liking the designs is one thing. Not liking the movie that's still filming and none of us have seen is merely idiotic. But the crap that's spewing out of you? The anti-movie fanboys would probably start disowning you as an utter liability to their cause.

What? I had a "try not to be a tit" disclaimer...
My point exactly, I'm all for people complaining about stuff that theyve seen, flames on op, crap alt modes, crap robot modes, but what is the point of complaining bout stuff that isnt known?

Yes maybe Ford DeceptiFocus has read A script, but not THE script, unless he is insanely closesly tied in to the project, and to be honest, I dont think you should be comment about what the final script is like unless you have read it. Complaining bout an early/earlier draft is fine, but not the finalised one.

CounterPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-25, 10:53 PM   #27
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Brendocon
I want a movie based on the Ladybird books. Specifically the one where Hot Rod gets new hubcaps, or whatever it was.
Decepticon Hideout.

Also the period during which Galvy / Mags were city commanders, as per their tech specs, because that's all the info Hasbro had seen fit to provide...

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-25, 11:54 PM   #28
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

Forget the naysayers ths design rocks. He looks g1 and new at the same time, there is a solstice front on his chest and he looks like he is capable of serious damage.

remember what I told you all:

THIS MOVIE WILL KICK YOUR ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on and wind me up.
another tf fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-26, 01:12 AM   #29
Mikotron

Edinboro,Pennsylvania usa

Other than Primes head, Bumblebee being yellow and Jazz'z visor, I don't see any resemblence what so ever to the 80's characters. Especially the Decepticons.

What if I made X-men and wolverine was part wolf, the professor look like Einstein, and cyclops literally had one eye.
People would hate me.(more than they do now)

Ba weep granna weep ninni - BONG
Mikotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-26, 04:03 AM   #30
redman prime
underwhelmed

St Louis mo. happy times

This looks the best of all we've seen so far, so attaboys should be given for that.
The hands are kinda strange, but then we've seen megs face, too..

I read an 8.5 earlier, and i agree completely.

life is great. then you die and leave everything to your wife.
redman prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-26, 09:25 AM   #31
CounterPunch
One with the Matrix

What?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikotron
Other than Primes head, Bumblebee being yellow and Jazz'z visor, I don't see any resemblence what so ever to the 80's characters. Especially the Decepticons.
This discusssion has already been had, has it ever been said that this is a G1 movie? If so can I be provided with some evidence? I'm not talking bout Don Murphy postin on his boards or whatever cos he spouts alot of sh*t, but press statements etc. I havent seen one that says this will be a G1 movie, all I've heard said is it will be a throwback to G1 and stuff like that.

If it has never been said that its a G1 movie then people shouldnt complain about this not resembling the "80's characters" anymore they should complain bout characters from new series' not looking like originals.

If its never been said its G1 officially then it shouldnt be treated as such, its a separate entity, not a continuation, even saying "modern day reimagining of G1" (which is what I've heard paraded around) isn't saying "G1 exactly" which is what we're getting, a reimagining in modern day.

So please, I'd be more than happy to accept I'm wrong if I can be provided with official confirmation of this being a G1 movie.

Old 2006-09-26, 10:01 AM   #32
Halfshell

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
Decepticon Hideout.
That's the bugger. I want a movie version of that. NOW. If this movie turns out to be in any way different from that story, then it's not REAL Transformers.

Old 2006-09-26, 12:25 PM   #33
Mikotron

Remember the first news of a movie being made. They specifically said it would be based on the 80's cartoon and comic books.
Seems people have forgot that with everything else going on.

I will watch and probably love this movie, but they need to do something better with the Decepticon designs, especially Megatron (which I hope that is just his cybertron form)

Last edited by Mikotron; 2006-09-26 at 12:29 PM.
Old 2006-09-26, 12:42 PM   #34
Halfshell

Lightbulb

Quote:
Remember the first news of a movie being made. They specifically said it would be based on the 80's cartoon and comic books.
Seems people have forgot that with everything else going on.
Supporting evidence, please.

http://www.tfarchive.com/community/s...threadid=36448

Quote:
feature-length, live-action movie based on the popular brand.
Key word: brand.

Old 2006-09-26, 01:29 PM   #35
Mikotron

http://www.transformerland.com/trans...the-movie.html

scroll down to sept. 1, 2003 news

Old 2006-09-26, 01:54 PM   #36
CounterPunch
One with the Matrix

What?

Again "based on" doesnt mean it is, no one has said "This will be a G1 movie"

I see it as being based on the G1 yeah. In that a bunch of Autobots (with many if not all having names of those in G1) and Decepticons battle on Earth over energon (as far as I'm aware the storyline is) they have alternate modes, many things are based on or a throwback of the cartoon.

No other series (bar RiD poss, cant remember what the story to RiD was) has merely dealt with Autobots vs Decepticons fighting over Energon on earth, with earth based alt modes.

Based isnt G1, if I remember correctly Texas Chainsaw Massacre is "based" on the story of Ed Gein, but the film bared very little resemblance to the story of that man, there were probably 2 reasons why it was said to be based on him -

1. The writers took various bits from the story of Ed Gein, such as him making bits of clothing from peoples skin (this was also supposedly a basis for Buffallo Bill in Silence of the Lambs), basing parts of the story off what they heard about him.

2. Tehy wanted the publicity that would come with promoting a film that is "based" on such a person.

Old 2006-09-26, 02:00 PM   #37
Transfan

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Quote:
http://www.transformerland.com/trans...the-movie.html

scroll down to sept. 1, 2003 news
Quote from the article

Quote:
"There's no better mythology to bring to the big screen than Transformers. Transformers has got great characters and created an iconic world, and the mythology still resonates with people 20 years after it was launched. Even though they're robots the characters have a lot of personality and a lot of heart and people still care about them. That's a great thing. The the film will combine live-action with CGI. I think it's going to be something the audience has never seen before. In all the years of movie-making, I don't think the image of a truck transforming into a 20-foot tall robot has ever been captured on screen. I also want to make a film that's a homage to 1980s movies and gets back to the sense of wonder that Hollywood has lost over the years. It will have those Spielberg-ian moments where you have the push-in on the wide-eyed kid and you feel like you're 10 years old even if you're 35. That's the energy I want to go for. We want to get to the core of what makes Transformers great. We're going to get back to the heart of what Transformers is and distill that into a movie. The live-action version will be based on Generation One and set on Earth. I am rewatching all the cartoons and reading all the comics."
Well let's examine

1)Bumblebee
2)Sam "Spike" Witwicky
3)Autobots and Decepticons
4)Jazz, Ratchet and Ironhide
5)Journeyed from another planet to earth

This movie's based on G1 like all the shows are based on G1. And BTW that article is 3 years old. Maybe that was the ORIGINAL plan, and when did actual filming and casting start? Oh yeah this year. So many things could've changed during the many meetings. And I say maybe because it's just as possible that some of the fanbase misinterpreted what was said

There are PLENTY of good things about this movie IF you choose to see them. If you plan to have this closeminded "Well it's not G1" attitude. Then I feel sorry for you

Last edited by Transfan; 2006-09-26 at 02:03 PM.
Transfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-26, 02:05 PM   #38
CounterPunch
One with the Matrix

What?

Quote:
Originally posted by Transfan
Quote from the article

Well let's examine

1)Bumblebee
2)Sam "Spike" Witwicky
3)Autobots and Decepticons
4)Jazz, Ratchet and Ironhide
5)Journeyed from another planet to earth

This movie's based on G1 like all the shows are based on G1. And BTW that article is 3 years old. Maybe that was the ORIGINAL plan, and when did actual filming and casting start? Oh yeah this year. So many things could've changed during the many meetings. And I say maybe because it's just as possible that some of the fanbase misinterpreted what was said

There are PLENTY of good things about this movie IF you choose to see them. If you plan to have this closeminded "Well it's not G1" attitude. Then I feel sorry for you
Exactly my thoughts, if people are going to shy away from this cos of the wrong reasons (because its not g1) theyre just as bad as those who decided to not even consider Beast Wars in any way shape or form, or even acknowledge it, because it changed things.

Old 2006-09-26, 02:15 PM   #39
Halfshell

Smile

Ooh. Other people have covered the key points. Awesome. But just to get back to the original statement...

Quote:
Right. So, in support of this statement, you linked an article which says...

Quote:
The live-action version will be based on Generation One and set on Earth. I am rewatching all the cartoons and reading all the comics
It's a shame we have to spell this out, buuuut...

"Based on Generation One" DNE "based on the 80s cartoon."

It could be based on the eHobby exclusives, and still be based on Generation One. As some awesome and handsome chap earlier in the thread alluded to, it could be based on the Ladybird books and still be Generation One.

Maybe Tom rewatching all the old cartoons is why we're now so far away from it. Because... whisper it kiddies... the original cartoon... wasn't actually that good?

But, yeah, back to my point - nobody specifically stated that the film would be based on the 80s cartoon and comic books (which were contradictory of each other anyway). Solely that it would be based on the TF brand, and that Tom De Santo was off to watch some dodgy animation.

Old 2006-09-26, 02:20 PM   #40
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Damn, I'd be embarrassed to Hell if I linked to an article as supporting evidence and it turned out to be something different. I'd feel incredibly stupid. Not quite as stupid as if I'd declared something "not REAL Transformers", but still pretty damn stupid.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote