Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > Other Toys, Cartoons & Comics

Old 2006-10-15, 01:54 PM   #21
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
he doesn't permanently emit a magnetic field, right?
If he did, you wouldn't even need a gun!

"In my plan... we are beltless!" [/Andrew]

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 03:12 PM   #22
Galvatron91
Has anger management issues

Keeping the world safe from crappy posts

Quote:
You wouldn't actually need a non-magnetic bullet for Magneto, surely? His powers aren't automatic, he doesn't permanently emit a magnetic field, right?
Course, if someone did shoot him, Marvel could use that as their lame "Magneto averts death part 1,549,769..."

Lame Marvel script as Magneto "Yes (insert random X-man name here), while you may have shot me in the face, my permanent magnetic field prevented the bullet from breeching my brain...while I was knocked out, my body expelled the bullet...and now you will all pay!"

Anyone ever wonder why if Magneto is so powerful, he just doesn't give all the X-Men an embalism while they are in the pool?

Galvatron91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 03:37 PM   #23
Hawkeye
One with the Matrix

Newfoundland, Canada.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hound
Bucky and Jason Todd are both back, where've you been?
surely I was being sarcastic.

. "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 04:54 PM   #24
CounterPunch
One with the Matrix

What?

As far as I'm aware Thunderbird hasnt been resurrected in the 616 universe.

none of the characters offed in the Weapon X series have returned have they? but then no one gave a sh*t bout them

CounterPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 05:02 PM   #25
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Galvatron91
Anyone ever wonder why if Magneto is so powerful, he just doesn't give all the X-Men an embalism while they are in the pool?
But if they were dead, how could he bend them to his will, show them the error of their ways and use them to usher in his brave new world?

[insert random NextWave plug here]

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 05:33 PM   #26
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally posted by Brendocon
I bought #8 today. Couldn't find #7 to plug the gap since the collected book, but fortunately the wonder of Nextwave means I have no need to read #7 to understand the plot.
True enough, though seven is quite a bit better.

"I have one hundred Earth dollars!"

Quote:
Originally posted by Galvatron91
That's certainly what I would have done. This is what you get when you write a character with some idiotic 'code of honor'.

Quote:
Originally posted by CounterPunch
none of the characters offed in the Weapon X series have returned have they? but then no one gave a sh*t bout them
Yeah, you're not going to see too many fans clamoring for the triumphant return of Maggot.

Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 05:44 PM   #27
Sixswitch
Rameses Niblik The Third, Kerplunk Kerplunk, Whoops, Where's My Thribble

Sent to outer space, to find another happy place.

Hmmm... Question about Magneto - do his powers work automatically or are they concious decisions?

I mean, if I shot him with a silenced sniper rifle from a mile away when his back is turned, and he wasn't aware of the bullet, would he cop it?

-Ss

I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Sixswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 06:16 PM   #28
Sociopathic Autobot
I'm ****ing Matt Damon

I'm ****ing Ben Affleck
Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Sixswitch
Hmmm... Question about Magneto - do his powers work automatically or are they concious decisions?
No, he has to activate them.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sixswitch
I mean, if I shot him with a silenced sniper rifle from a mile away when his back is turned, and he wasn't aware of the bullet, would he cop it?

-Ss
He would cause he's Magneto.

SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Sociopathic Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 06:41 PM   #29
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

At a guess, I'd say that once he became a world-class mutant terrorist, Magneto would have started keeping a magnetic shield up at all times. Just in case.

Old 2006-10-25, 07:05 PM   #30
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Ahhh, but not always - some of you must have read X-Men Unlimited #2, the one that's pretty much about that assassin who's out to kill him, and has him cold, but just can't do it in the end despite Magneto letting his guard down (he stalks Mags to Magda's grave, IIRC).

Plus something smart, like a ceramic or plastic bullet might give you a chance, if you went for the face and took him by surprise.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 07:08 PM   #31
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Ahhh, but not always - some of you must have read X-Men Unlimited #2, the one that's pretty much about that assassin who's out to kill him, and has him cold, but just can't do it in the end despite Magneto letting his guard down (he stalks Mags to Magda's grave, IIRC).
I actually kind of forgot about that. So, just amend 'at all times' to 'most of the time, when he's not standing over his dead wife's grave'.

Old 2006-10-25, 08:31 PM   #32
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

I've always thought of mutant powers as being always on. Something a mutant has to willfully choose to not be using at any time. Something they have to learn to hold at bay not something that has a switch.

That said, I imagine that Magneto always has a sense of anything metallic in his general area.

I don't think any writer has specifically said that that's how his power works but it's how I imagine it to be.

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 08:38 PM   #33
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Yeh, I'd agree with that as a general rule, but there are lots of instances where it's not that way (e.g. Kitty's struggle for the first 50 or so issues of Excalibur [yeh, I'm exaggerating, it took up valuable "Brian gets drunk and slaps someone around" time] would seem to show she doesn't have to put much effort in beforehand - thanks to Claremont Language, I think she even uses the phrase "default state" [referring to being solid] a few times)... Plus there are a few which it would seem a bit silly for - Gambit, for example.

Old 2006-10-25, 09:42 PM   #34
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

To me that just makes Gambit interesting (he certainly needs something). That he manages to touch things without causing them to blow up would then be a testament to his willpower and control.

There was a time right after "Mutant Massacre" that neither Colossus or Shadowcat could turn off their mutant powers and they had to relearn their control, or in Peter's case have them taken away for a bit. Iceman just recently went through a stage where he couldn't turn off his power.

The idea that a mutant power is only supressed through an act of will has been demonstrated through countless other mutants also, just about any telepath, Havok, Cyclops...

It's not far fetched, it's just not widely demonstrated. With most of the writers of the X-Men it would just have been one more bit of angst in a book that usually overflows with it. Imagine them focusing on Gambit needing to willfully control his power along with him trying to reconcile that he was a bad guy once and now a hero along with that he really loves Rogue but she can't touch him because he'll die. Yeah...

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 10:02 PM   #35
LKW
Gestalt

fray-adjacent

Quote:
Originally posted by Hound
I've always thought of mutant powers as being always on. Something a mutant has to willfully choose to not be using at any time. Something they have to learn to hold at bay not something that has a switch.
That's interesting, Hound. As Storm's emotions can affect the weather around her, Rouge can't touch anyone without absorbing their psyche and powers, several telepaths have been shown having trouble blocking out thoughts in crowds... For a time, Kitty was stuck immaterial unless she concentrated, Peter as Colossus, both after severe injuries, I believe. And of course, Cyclops... except... have you read Astonishing X-Men?

As far as Magneto - remember he has (last I knew, anyway; when he's empowered) a straight-up force field, not just magnetic-repulsion. Which would mean he must have it off sometimes, come to think, or nothing'd ever touch him. (I don't blame the movies for staying away from Magneto's manipulation of other energies - though I do blame them for calling him "Mag-NEATO!" insead of "Mag-NET-o" :rolleyes: - though really, they could do the flying, as he's supposed to ride Earth's magnetic field lines.)

EDIT - oops, as I intermittently wrote this, you were already mentioning Kitty and Peter. Oh well.

Last edited by LKW; 2006-10-25 at 10:10 PM.
LKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 10:15 PM   #36
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally posted by LKW
though I do blame them for calling him "Mag-NEATO!" insead of "Mag-NET-o" :rolleyes:
That's how it's always been pronounced.

Old 2006-10-25, 11:27 PM   #37
LKW
Gestalt

fray-adjacent

Quote:
Originally posted by Dead Man Wade
That's how it's always been pronounced.
Well, yes, and no. In an early to mid 80's Bullpen Bulletins page, they tried to answer the question, posed by a reader, of how the name was pronounced. After asking various Marvel people, they concluded... that there was no consensus and that either pronunciation was valid. Personally, I just would have preferred that the filmmakers not choose the version which makes their villain sound so "neato!"

LKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 01:02 AM   #38
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally posted by LKW
Well, yes, and no.
Let me clarify.

Both cartoon series used that pronunciation. All three movies have used it. I seem to recall an interview with Stan Lee where he used it.

Every time I've heard it pronounced in any sort of official capacity, that was the one they used.

Old 2006-10-26, 11:46 AM   #39
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Evenb if you did use a plastic bullet on MAGNetOOOOOOO if he had evenb the slightest incling of it he could just do what he does when shot at with plastic guns in X-3 and throw a few cars in the way.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 12:43 PM   #40
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Hence why it would only be a chance... he'd still have no innate defence, and would need to think quickly - if he was unaware the bullet was metal and went to deflect it, by the time he got around to flinging a car in the way it could be working its' way out of the back of his skull. There'd also have to be something metal he could use to deflect it with as well...

They use MagNEATo because Magneto is a word, not a word with a random vowel bunged on the end.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Magneto

Surely un-hyphenated, that's how it's pronounced?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dead Man Wade
Let me clarify.

Both cartoon series used that pronunciation. All three movies have used it. I seem to recall an interview with Stan Lee where he used it.

Every time I've heard it pronounced in any sort of official capacity, that was the one they used.
I can back you up on the Stan Lee interview thing, and it was for an interview preceding the 1990s series, never mind the films, so he wasn't just smoothing the way (IIRC, it was an extra feature on the 1989 one-shot video). And let's be blunt, whatever your views on Stan, he sorta created Magneto, and his word stands, regardless of what he let those ker-azy guys at the Bullpen do...

I've got to say this is the first time I've ever heard anyone claim it's Magnet-O. Sorry, but saying it out loud it sounds more akin to The Incredibles... I just can't picture the X-Men/UN/Toad cowering to a guy named Magnet-O...