• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > Other Toys, Cartoons & Comics

Old 2006-10-26, 12:48 PM   #41
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Red face

I suppose you could always say Magna To.

But then it sounds like he's got really big feet.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 12:50 PM   #42
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
if he was unaware the bullet was metal and went to deflect it,
I would have thought by this stage though everyone would have cottoned onto not using metal bullets to try and kill him (unless they were very stupid) so he'd just chuck something in the way as a matter of course.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 12:52 PM   #43
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Which, again, is why you'd just have a chance. Are chunks of my posts not making it to the board or something?

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 12:56 PM   #44
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Which, again, is why you'd just have a chance. Are chunks of my posts not making it to the board or something?
But I can't see Magneto ever traveling out of range of any useful metal anyway- considering that without it he's just an old guy and he's got lots of minions to send out to metalless places should he need to. I'd say that's such a small chance as to be nothing...

Old 2006-10-26, 01:12 PM   #45
Halfshell

Talking

Quote:
Are chunks of my posts not making it to the board or something?
Says the person who thinks Magmatron is a car...

Old 2006-10-26, 02:20 PM   #46
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
I can back you up on the Stan Lee interview thing, and it was for an interview preceding the 1990s series, never mind the films, so he wasn't just smoothing the way (IIRC, it was an extra feature on the 1989 one-shot video).
Thank you. I couldn't remember where I'd seen it.

Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 03:06 PM   #47
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Quote:
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
But I can't see Magneto ever traveling out of range of any useful metal anyway- considering that without it he's just an old guy and he's got lots of minions to send out to metalless places should he need to. I'd say that's such a small chance as to be nothing...
But there's nothing to say he actually wouldn't. The fact it's happened on at least one occasion (and this is just what I can remember of what I read... though there was his sojourn in the Savage Land where he spent most of his time in the jungle...) means it's not so much a chance as an actuality, the assassin just decided against killing him.

I haven't said "All you need is a bullet and Magento's easy", have I? Magneto could theoretically be killed by a bullet. There are a billion ways he could stop it. But a theoretical chance that he couldn't. End of.

Old 2006-10-26, 09:18 PM   #48
LKW
Gestalt

fray-adjacent

Firstly, about the bullet - I don't think the absence of metal would make any difference: as Magneto, at least the comic book version, has a force field which can stop lasers, I doubt plastic bullets would make much headway. The key would be catching him unawares, in which case any attack would have an equal chance of success.

As far as the name - didn't intended my little off-hand gripe to cause such a hubbub. I didn't see enough of that last X-cartoon to ever see Magneto in it, I don't think; vaguely recall the early '90s one using "Mag-NEATO". Several months ago, I saw the episode of "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends" in which Magneto holds an entire prison hostage; I'm pretty certain that show used "Mag-NET-o" (emphasis is on the second syllable, unlike in "magnet", in case that's not clear). That's very likely where I got the pronunciation from; it's probably the first place I encountered the character, in the early 1980s, and NBC reran the show for so long - at least a year after the last new episode was produced - that I would have seen that episode a LOT as a kid.

Which is just to explain where I'm coming from, not to try to change how anyone else thinks of the name. I concede, whatever debate there may have been in the '80s, "neato!!" has become the more prevalent usage; and if Stan the Man uses it... well, yeah, he created Mags. Trying to connect it to the dictionary definintions does make it seem a LITTLE less silly-sounding, at least. (As far as names making the UN or whoever tremble: if one just thinks about the early Marvel names as words, without the attachments of the characters we know, a lot of them seem a little silly - like Doctor Doom.) Can't guarantee that I won't still read it as "MagNETo", though....

LKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 12:17 AM   #49
Hawkeye
One with the Matrix

Newfoundland, Canada.

what is doctor doom the doctor of anyway? gravy?*

*stolen from an issue of toyfair.

. "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 01:06 AM   #50
CounterPunch
One with the Matrix

What?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye
what is doctor doom the doctor of anyway? gravy?*

*stolen from an issue of toyfair.
Haha I always wondered what he was a doctor of, until i found out that he was a scientist, and most scientists are considered doctors of something.

In terms of the powers, sorry if I'm covering other peoples posts but hey may aswell have back up!

As far as I'm concerned it depends on the powers in question. People like Colossus, Cyclops, Iceman, Havok etc can switch their powers on and off (or cant in Cyclops' case)

But things like Wolverines healing, and the new guy from Uncanny X-Men (can adapt to any surroundings/environments) are obviously natural reflexes, Wolverines not going to think to himself "Oh crap the whole of my left arms been melted, maybe I should heal this"

CounterPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 02:47 AM   #51
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally posted by CounterPunch
Haha I always wondered what he was a doctor of, until i found out that he was a scientist, and most scientists are considered doctors of something.
Actually, since Doom was expelled from college due to the accident that scarred him, he's A.B.D. at most. That is, unless he finished his degree at Central Latveria U.

Quote:
But things like Wolverines healing, and the new guy from Uncanny X-Men (can adapt to any surroundings/environments) are obviously natural reflexes, Wolverines not going to think to himself "Oh crap the whole of my left arms been melted, maybe I should heal this"
Depends. Deadpool's been shown 'willing' parts to regenerate, so there might be some conscious aspect to it.

Last edited by Dead Man Wade; 2006-10-27 at 02:49 AM.
Old 2006-10-27, 07:37 AM   #52
Halfshell

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Dead Man Wade
Depends. Deadpool's been shown 'willing' parts to regenerate, so there might be some conscious aspect to it.
In the way that he actually tells the parts to regenerate, or in the way that we will a late bus to turn up?

And Doctor Doom is the doctor of doom. Silly people.

Old 2006-10-27, 02:28 PM   #53
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Dead Man Wade
Actually, since Doom was expelled from college due to the accident that scarred him, he's A.B.D. at most. That is, unless he finished his degree at Central Latveria U.
Though as dictator he could probably arrange for the Latverian University to give him a honary Doctorate in sheep shearing or somesuch.

Old 2006-10-27, 04:58 PM   #54
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally posted by Brendocon
In the way that he actually tells the parts to regenerate, or in the way that we will a late bus to turn up?
In the way that, while it happens whether he thinks about it or not, early issues seem to indicate that concentration makes it happen faster.

Old 2006-11-03, 01:45 PM   #55
Hawkeye
One with the Matrix

Newfoundland, Canada.

forgive me for my ignorance as my x-men knowledge stops around 1994 but this secondary mutation stuff thats morrison material right? would emmas diamond form come from that then? because I was seriously confused when i played x-men legends and emma could do that.

I thought to myself "self, do you remember comming across this in your 70's/80's x-men collection? nope" . now I know. although as much as I like Weadon i dont think anything by morrison should be ret-conned (although marvel started that with house of M didnt they?)

. "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 02:16 PM   #56
Halfshell

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye
forgive me for my ignorance as my x-men knowledge stops around 1994 but this secondary mutation stuff thats morrison material right?
Circa Morisson.

I think the first one was Hank devolving into feline form... which was an Xtreme storyline, making it the work of Claremont. Was shortly before Morisson took over, so he probably riffed the notion for Emma.

Archangel then developed one over in Uncanny... I can't remember who was writing at the time.

But yes, Emma's diamond form was a Morisson invention.

There's a theory that the whole secondary mutation is just a development of existing powers... though telepathy to diamond skin doesn't really compute.

Quote:
although as much as I like Weadon i dont think anything by morrison should be ret-conned (although marvel started that with house of M didnt they?)
Oh, it's not a retcon as such... well, okay, technically it is. He's expanding on it rather than changing it.

In Morisson's story, Emma survived the attack on Genosha because her skin had turned to diamond. It was the first time it happened and nobody could explain it. Joss has inserted an explanation for how it came to pass. Whether it was what Morisson originally intended, I don't know... but Morisson ****ed his own continuity with the Planet X twist anyway... which then had to be retconned away by somebody else.

Old 2006-11-03, 03:11 PM   #57
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Quote:

Archangel then developed one over in Uncanny... I can't remember who was writing at the time.
Chuck Aus-Many-Characters-As-You-Can-in.

Old 2006-11-03, 03:16 PM   #58
Halfshell

Smile

That's what I reckoned, but I seem to recall Uncanny going through a rotation of writers at about that time, all intent on writing a worse story than their predecessor... it all blurred into one after a while.

Why am I incapable of spelling Morrison properly?

Old 2006-11-03, 03:26 PM   #59
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
That's what I reckoned, but I seem to recall Uncanny going through a rotation of writers at about that time, all intent on writing a worse story than their predecessor... it all blurred into one after a while.
Aye, I've still got the issue, and I stopped buying after two of Claremont's issues. One of the latter was that old stand-by, the baseball game, and the second one had the Fury in it, and I'd had enough of character-rape for a while, and certainyl wasn't going to be party to Claremont ****ing up the only scary Marvel villain of all time.

Old 2006-11-03, 03:35 PM   #60
Halfshell

Smile

I jacked it in before Claremont came on board. There was that godawful Draco thing, followed by some bollocks with Juggernaut doing She Hulk, followed by me saying "sod it".

I picked up a Claremont issue a while back just to see what was going on and was confronted by awful exposition thought bubbles from Kurt about having fuzzy feelings for Rachel Summers and worrying about what she thought of him or some other faux-teen angst bull****. I put the bloody thing straight back on the shelf.