• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > Other Toys, Cartoons & Comics

Old 2007-01-10, 09:10 PM   #21
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
I'm also slightly annoyed they put out an annual set after it ends...
I don't see why. The majority of the arc is finished. All that's left is the wrap-up issue, so it's not like it's a great surprise that Cap and Falcon survived or anything.

Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 11:26 PM   #22
Transfannabeel
Matrix Keeper

in the corner losing my religion

Marvel:
X-Factor
Nextwave
Astonishing X-Men
She-Hulk
Civil War
Immortal Iron Fist
Daredevil
Cable and Deadpool
Uncanny X-Men
Runaways
Civil War

DC:
Detective Comics
Batman
Teen Titans
Justice League of America
Justice Society of America

Trades:
Y: The Last Man
Fables
Captain America
Ex Machina

Transfannabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 09:09 AM   #23
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Smile Re: Re: So, kids, what're you reading?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hound [re Nextwave]
[B] Don't read it, remarkable because it's got to be one of like 2 or 3 comics I don't read...
I'd definitely recommend it to anybody who likes superhero stuff and has a sense of humour over the genre.

Quote:
[re YTLM]
Isn't this comic the best? Like ever? Ok, I exaggerate but it's up there. I loved it so much I couldn't wait for the TPBs once I got them all I started buying the single issues.
I wouldn't necessarily go so far as to say best ever, but it's absolutely wonderful on levels I can't express. The only reason I've not hit the single issues is because comic supply in my area is pretty much limited to a branch of Forbidden Planet... and their back-issue stock got downsized to make room for Doctor Who audio cassettes or some other guff that nobody cares about.

I'm currently resisting the urge to buy the newest TPB because I can only find it on low-grade paper... yes, I'm slightly OCD, but it means the book's thicker than the others and looks wrong on the shelf.

Quote:
I currently read the Ultimates monthly, or y'know whenever but I don't read Loeb comics, not anymore. I do read Ultimate Spider-Man, X-men, Powers and FF but only by the TPB.
I really don't understand the point of Jeph Loeb. At all. I know in theory it's them giving him a high profile book to show he's got what it takes, but it just feels like they can't find an actual writer willing to take over.

Gotta be said, though, the only Ultimate Verse stuff I've really been disappointed with was the Galactus trilogy. Mainly because it was... well... boring. Nothing wrong with the plot or concept, it just got dragged out far longer than it needed to be. The first TPB probably could have been boiled down to two issues.

Quote:
I read Sandman and Preacher years ago and have been trying to get anyone who will listen to read Sandman since. My roommate has now read the series and she loves it. Now if Cliffy would just cave...

Would be most interested to hear any thoughts you have on it.
I'm about midway through the third TPB of Sandman. Thought the first book was patchy, but still thoroughly enjoyable, though the art was pretty dodgy in places. Definitely picked up at the end with the little Death standalone. Loved the whole Doll's House story in the second book. Adored the kitten story in the third collection, though the whole "this won lots of awards!" Midsummer Night's Dream tale left me a little underwhelmed. Nice in principle but... eh.

Read Nextwave!

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 10:29 AM   #24
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

I have this strange urge to read NextWave...

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 11:24 AM   #25
Ozz
One with the Matrix

I'm on the roof and I'm staring at the stars...
Red face

There's a trade with first six issues of Nextwave coming out in February. Get it or Dirk Anger will get you and then you'll all be sorry.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 11:25 AM   #26
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozz
There's a trade with first six issues of Nextwave coming out in February. Get it or Dirk Anger will get you and then you'll all be sorry.
He's hardly Dirk Benedickt though is he?

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 11:37 AM   #27
Halfshell

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozz
There's a shiny hardcover out already...

Old 2007-01-11, 12:35 PM   #28
Ozz
One with the Matrix

I'm on the roof and I'm staring at the stars...
Smile

Yeah, I know. However I don't know others people preferences and I, for example, buy only softcovers (though I might go different route for Runaways, those digest mini-things sound like crap; anyone have those?) and am going to get that one.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 04:06 PM   #29
Osku
One with the Matrix

Finland
Default Re: Re: Re: So, kids, what're you reading?

I've been lately searching for Finnish comics, in which Peyo's "Smurf" comics were published. A bit frustrating as even short stories were divided in many issues. Not to mention those were released in the 70's...

Newer stuff?

IDW's Transformers comics, most but not all.

I mostly try to buy the comic book albums* released in Finnish, to support the publishers. Mainly comics originally published in French as I can't read those in original language.

* Um, comic book album = 'graphic novel'? The size of this format similar to UK comic books, but quality and binding closer to books than comics sold in news stands.

Finnish edition of X-Men (printing four issues in one Finnish issue), mostly because they published Astonishing X-Men issues. In the latest issues there were Claremont's new material, and it seemed... mediocre. No idea how much we're behind US releases at the moment.

Slowly buying Finnish edition of Takahashi's 'Ranma '. The series is almost finished now. Can't honestly recommend if you don't have some kind of nostalgic attachment to the series.

Quote:
Originally posted by Brendocon
I'm about midway through the third TPB of Sandman. Thought the first book was patchy, but still thoroughly enjoyable, though the art was pretty dodgy in places. Definitely picked up at the end with the little Death standalone. Loved the whole Doll's House story in the second book. Adored the kitten story in the third collection, though the whole "this won lots of awards!" Midsummer Night's Dream tale left me a little underwhelmed. Nice in principle but... eh.
"Dream Country" is propably the weakest patch of stories. Or at least I wasn't impressed with the one issue short stories. After the next collection "Season of Mists" you should have a hunch if you're going to like the series or not.

Osku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 05:48 PM   #30
Fireflight
Dinobot

Burnley,UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozz
Yeah, I know. However I don't know others people preferences and I, for example, buy only softcovers (though I might go different route for Runaways, those digest mini-things sound like crap; anyone have those?) and am going to get that one.
Most of the digests I've got are fine to read, though the paper quality isn't always the best and the third Runaways one suffers a bit because of this and the darker colours in it. Would strongly recommend getting the Hardcover for Runaways, it's great value and makes the art look gorgeous.

I'm getting in single issues:
Marvel:
Astonishing X-men
Cable/Deadpool
Criminal
Daredevil
Moon Knight
Runaways
Spider-man Loves Mary Jane
X-Factor
X-Men
Young Avengers (in theory, anyway)

DC:
Birds of Prey
DMZ
The Other Side

Other:
Fell
The Killer
Transformers Escalation and the Spotlights

In trades:
Bone (the coloured ones)
Desolation Jones
Ultimate Spider-Man
Ultimates
Y the Last Man

Fireflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 07:11 PM   #31
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!
Default Re: Re: Re: So, kids, what're you reading?

Quote:
There is some really good stuff in that first story arc but , yeah the Death standalone is when the series gets really good. I really thought the Calliope story was brilliant. The cat story too, if enough people dream it, it becomes reality, that's awesome! The Shakespear stories are good, not the best of the series though. Have you read the story about the guy whom refuses to die yet?
Quote:
Read Nextwave!
Eventually...

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 07:27 PM   #32
DrSpengler
Primus

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: So, kids, what're you reading?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hound
Have you read the story about the guy whom refuses to die yet?
That one was one of my favorites. If only it really worked that way...

I've only read the first three volumes, myself, and I don't think I'll pursue them any further. At least, not in the forseeable future. Not that I wasn't digging the story, but because eleven volumes is a bit pricey and I have a few other priorities.

In what volume does Morpheus take Matt Cable from Swamp Thing? I might be willing to skip ahead to that book out of my undying wuv for Swamp Thing.

DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 07:28 PM   #33
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally posted by Fireflight
Bone (the coloured ones)
Yeah, I don't recall who does the color for those, but it's absolutely beautiful. I bought the Complete Bone over a year ago, but I still pick up the Scholastic trades based just on the color.

Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 07:47 PM   #34
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So, kids, what're you reading?

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpengler
In what volume does Morpheus take Matt Cable from Swamp Thing? I might be willing to skip ahead to that book out of my undying wuv for Swamp Thing.
I'm not sure that Swamp Thing ever appears in the series...

Old 2007-01-11, 08:05 PM   #35
DrSpengler
Primus

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So, kids, what're you reading?

Quote:
I'm not sure that Swamp Thing ever appears in the series...
Oh, I know. But Matt Cable, a prominant character FROM Swamp Thing appears, and that's all that matters.

I've read the story in the Swamp Thing issues up through when Morpheus comes and takes the comatose Matt Cable away. However, the rest of Matt's story is told in the pages of Sandman, which I haven't read. So I've been curious.

DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 10:29 PM   #36
Halfshell

Smile Re: Re: Re: Re: So, kids, what're you reading?

Quote:
Have you read the story about the guy whom refuses to die yet?
Aye, that was really good. I especially liked that the conversations in the pubs were essentially the same.

I was pretty unsure of the series when I started it. Obviously I knew all the hype around it, but little else. Thought the concept for the initial arc was nifty, but obviously had my reservations about the direction after the resolution... Def like it, though. It's like a little clothesline for hanging stories on. Great notion for a book.

Like Spengs I'm pacing myself, though. I tend to overdose on a book once I get into it and make myself skint.

Anybody got any recommendations for a starting point with Hellblazer?

Old 2007-01-11, 10:46 PM   #37
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Start at the beginning, the Delano TPB is good stuff.

Old 2007-01-11, 10:51 PM   #38
Halfshell

Red face

Well that makes sense.

*does a quick Wiki*

Aha. Right. Know what I'm looking for now... FP's current filing system consists of "we'll put all the Grant Morrison books together, all the Ellis books together, all the Moore stuff together"... which makes finding where a title like that starts to be bloody hard.

Old 2007-01-31, 06:29 AM   #39
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So, kids, what're you reading?

Quote:
Anybody got any recommendations for a starting point with Hellblazer?
Haunted.

Though some people disagree:

http://community.livejournal.com/sca....html#comments

I like it because it covers all of the bases, without spoiling the earlier story arcs if you want to go back and read them. Plus you're not as likely to be bothered by the occasional fairly realistic corpse as some.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-24, 06:19 PM   #40
Halfshell

Talking

I finished Preacher.

Hellz yesz.

God's a ****, eh?

"This is about mankind's salvation."
"This is about my genitals."