• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2007-03-07, 05:26 PM   #21
Civ
News-"breaker"-in-Training

Pennsylvania

I won't be buying MP Megs from BBTS unless I completely strike out trying to get a non-capped one on e-bay. Why non-capped? Mainly for aesthetic reasons. It's not the worst thing in the world by a longshot and I understand why BBTS as well as a bunch of other sites are doing it but it would be personally preferrable to get the figure without the cap.

Civ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-07, 08:24 PM   #22
Prime07
Seeker

Earth

Quote:
Originally posted by Target
Are you going to get one Prime? or wait and see about that orange thing?
Since you guys are talking absout a possible US hasbro release I may wait to see how this pans out. However, I'm not a big fan of the orange tip either and I'm sure they will make it impossible to remove without destroying the figure.

I am interested either way, tip or not, because I have 20th Prime and, being there really is no good G1 megatron, will probably get one eventually.

Transformers Generation 1 fan
Prime07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-07, 08:47 PM   #23
LKW
Gestalt

fray-adjacent

Is Captured Prey still planning to offer the unaltered version, or have they been forced to back off of that?

And, I really do want to get one. I may have to wait to see how feasible getting a non-oranged one is (or at least how bad it looks), but, one way or another, Masterpiece Megatron - shall be mine! Hu-hu-ha ha ha ha!

LKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 07:19 AM   #24
Target
Powermaster

The Midlands - Melton Mowbray home of the pork pie

Dose anyone know if/when it will be released in the UK? And dare I asj how much it might cost??

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 10:17 AM   #25
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

The only official release we know for sure right now is the Takara version. If he appears in UK, US or any other part of the world, it'll be done by some import store.

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 04:08 PM   #26
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

I don't plan on getting him UNLESS I see him on clearance for a low price. He's really nice-looking, but the price is quite a deterrent.

Said the same thing about MPOP, and I never saw one for quite low enough (heard reports near and far of them going for $20, but the lowest I saw was $40, and I was broke enough at the time, seeing as I didn't have a job yet, where the $20 made a big difference). Would like to pick up the Classics OP, since he looks quite sharp, but that, once again, depends on pricing.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 01:19 PM   #27
Prime07
Seeker

Earth

Classics OP is 20 bucks. I just got him a short time ago. He's a really cool toy.

Has a sharp look in both modes.

Transformers Generation 1 fan
Prime07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 02:06 PM   #28
RID Scourge
Lurking

Thumbs down

Depends on where you look. In my area, only TRU had them in stock, and they were full price.

Old 2007-03-09, 03:48 PM   #29
Ackula
Charnel House

CA

I would like to have Megs, but the price is a major wall for me. Also I would definatly not want the red/orange cap on it if I did purchase one. But for me there are other TF figures I'd rather have for the price at this time..I still need the MP Starscream for my collection, and I'd opt to buy him before I would Megs at this point.

Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 04:40 PM   #30
RID Scourge
Lurking

Ah. I really don't find the orange cap so much a deterrent.

To me, it's like saying "I know this girl, and we have a great time together. She's drop dead gorgeous. The one thing about her, though, is that she lost a finger when she was younger, so I could never be with her," in that you're ignoring all the great points about this figure, while focussing on a minor negative that can't be changed.

Old 2007-03-09, 05:33 PM   #31
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

I think odds are it'll be easy to remove or paint, TBH. People just consider it quite a lot to spend on a figure that isn't exactly how they want it...

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-10, 05:56 PM   #32
Civ

Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally posted by RID Scourge
Ah. I really don't find the orange cap so much a deterrent.

To me, it's like saying "I know this girl, and we have a great time together. She's drop dead gorgeous. The one thing about her, though, is that she lost a finger when she was younger, so I could never be with her," in that you're ignoring all the great points about this figure, while focussing on a minor negative that can't be changed.
I see where you're coming from and to a point, I agree; however, the difference between MP Megatron and a girl is that one is a toy and the other is a living, breathing, assumably thinking, and feeling person. Now with your example of a girl, if she has a finger missing, there's not a whole lot she can do about it if anything and it would be really shallow to dump solely because of that. I could stand up G1 or MP Megs and shout insults at it all day and I wouldn't hurt its feelings. I'd feel like a total fool for doing so and wonder if I need to check into an insane asylum but I wouldn't hurt its feelings because all it is a piece of metal, plastic, and paint shaped into a figure reminiscient of an 80's character.

With the MP Megs toy, I liken it to buying a car, stereo system, cell phone, or some other piece of hardware. Let's take a cell phone for instance. You're out shopping for one and you see a model that you really like and it just so happens to come in multiple color variations. Now, all of the phones are identical in functions, features, warranties, and calling plans, the only difference is what color do you choose? It's just a matter of personal preference.

With MP Megs, there's just a slight color variation -- one has an orange cap and the other does not. Both function exactly the same, it's just a personal preference with color.

The real problem is that the one without the orange cap is illegal in the United States, so there's a risk factor as well. If I had children or a relative that wasn't too bright and would run up to a cop holding Megs while screaming something along the lines of "bang, bang, you're dead!" then there would be no question about which one I would get -- the one with the orange cap; however, that's not my situation. I don't have to worry about a kid or a relative and I've already owned a non-orange G1 Megs reissue now for three years with no consequences (mainly due to not flaunting or showing it off outside), so I don't see much of a risk for me since I'm not going to point it at a cop.

Quote:
originally posted by Denyer
I think odds are it'll be easy to remove or paint, TBH. People just consider it quite a lot to spend on a figure that isn't exactly how they want it...
As much as I'd like to agree with you, I don't think I can. According to the BBTS site, they will definitely put a plug in and they'd be smart to follow the letter of the law precisely if they want to avoid any potential lawsuits. From my understanding, BBTS didn't sell the reissue Megatron just so they wouldn't have to deal with the toy gun law; however, they missed out on a ton of sales.

If anything, I think the owner smells money and wants to try and cash-in on this figure and he's doing it as legally as he can, which I don't blame him for and makes perfect sense to me. If some kid got blown away by a cop because he was playing with an MP Megs where the cap could be easily removed, BBTS would be in a load of **** (despite bad parental supervision and the figure being oversized) because they didn't follow that law precisely and any good lawyer would jump all over that. This is especially true since BBTS is perfectly aware of the law, which is evident since they posted it on their site.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/p...68&mode=retail

Last edited by Civ; 2007-03-10 at 06:49 PM.
Old 2007-03-10, 08:22 PM   #33
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Unless it's part of the mould, it'll be removable one way or another.

Plus there's always importing via Europe if people are that bothered; either a non-US import version or just getting the Japanese one via an intermediary.

Assuming you don't mind flouting US postal regulations, but it's fair to say most people don't respect laws with little merit.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-11, 01:02 AM   #34
Ackula
Charnel House

CA

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
People just consider it quite a lot to spend on a figure that isn't exactly how they want it...
I think this sums it up pefectly for myself. I'm not really taking some stance with this whole law and everything..I'm simply saying that for me if I was going to spend that much money on an action figure, I would want it to be unaltered and exactly the way it was supposed to be.

This is just me on a personal level..I have two kids and not alot of money flowing in..so if I were going to spend that kind of money it would be on something I wanted 100%..not something that would be flawed in my eyes. Chances are that I'd not be able to afford it anyway...as much as I'd love to have one.

And at any rate..I'd rather have the MP Starscream anyways

Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 09:34 AM   #35
Civ

Pennsylvania

Apologies for bumping this up but I do have a question related to BBTS and non-BBTS Masterpiece Megs -- anyone know when he's supposed to be released? According to BBTS, he's due out in March 2007 (no specific day), well as of this post, there aren't too many days left in March. Yeah, there's still time but it's kinda making me wonder when this thing is going to be released.

Now watch, as soon as I post this, they'll announce his release today knowing my luck.

Old 2007-03-26, 07:02 PM   #36
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Some say 28th, some 29th, some even say 30. For BBTS, add one or two weeks.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 08:09 PM   #37
Civ

Pennsylvania

I just got an e-mail from my supplier, and he says that the figure release has been delayed till April 2.

Old 2007-03-26, 10:32 PM   #38
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Originally posted by Civ
I just got an e-mail from my supplier, and he says that the figure release has been delayed till April 2.
Considering the original released date was March 29th, that sounds more like a supplier-based delay.

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 11:22 PM   #39
ColdBain
Powermaster

New Zealand

I've always found the 'toy gun law' in America a very interesting one. When was it made a law, and what were the reasons for this law? If memory serves, the law came out in the mid-eighties some time. Are toys in the likeness of real model guns banned altogether, or do the ones that 'look real' have orange or other bright coloured caps on the end of them?

This might be an ignorant view of America (coming from a person as far away as New Zealand) but aren't gun laws themselves rather loose? Loose in the means it takes a person to acquire/own a gun? Over here I don't even know a single person who is allowed to even keep a gun in their house, I've only seen a real gun a couple of times, and even then I was on an army base that time I did.

Is the law that it is simply illegal to own a toy gun in the likeness of a real gun (unless it is signified as being a toy by an orange cap or something)? If one wanted an unmodified Megatron, surely it's just a matter of ordering the toy from a different source, outside of America.

ColdBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 01:54 AM   #40
LKW
Gestalt

fray-adjacent
Talking

I’m not on expert on our gun laws here, but I think I can answer some of that.

Yeah, I think the law/regulations did start in the mid 80s. I think there was at least one instance of police shooting a kid who turned out to have only a toy gun. They’re no longer allowed to manufacture realistic toy guns – they can have an accurate shape/detailing, but must have at least a brightly colored end – often, the whole gun’ll be mostly blue or green. I don’t believe there’s any actual law against a person having a realistic-looking toy gun (unless they use it to commit a crime); certainly, they’ve never tried to take away the ones people already had from before the new standards.

And gun laws are… apparently looser than in a lot of other countries, but tighter than they once were. In the eighties (or early nineties?), all foreign assault weapons were banned – Uzis, AK-47s, etc. A background check and mandatory waiting period has been instituted (three days, I think?) – for handguns; I don’t think there’s a waiting period for hunting rifles.

Meanwhile, the gun lobby, personified by the National Rifle Association, rails against pretty much any restriction of “our Constitutional right to bear arms”. One of the early Amendments, in the initial group of ten known as “the Bill of Rights”, does guarantee the right of citizens to possess guns, but may have been more about the right to maintain a civilian militia. The NRA, meanwhile, fights restrictions on automatic weapons and armor-piercing bullets. (Years ago, Saturday Night Live did a skit depicting then-NRA president Charlton Heston [played by Phil Hartman] and a few friends showing that they really did need these guns, as they claimed, for hunting – shooting up a forest with auto fire and rocket launchers.) (To be fair, the NRA also claims self-defense needs for these weapons.) There’s famous non-parody footage of the actual Heston addressing the NRA at a podium, holding a rifle over his head and proclaiming “From my cold, dead hands!”

But really, actual guns (if not all toy guns) are pretty readily available to U.S citizens. (I believe I’ve heard that there’s more than one gun per person in Texas.) And, I learned recently, an ordinarly citizen can legally possess a bazooka or even a tank. You have to pass a much more thorough investigation than for a handgun purchase, conducted, I believe, by the FBI, but…

Last edited by LKW; 2007-03-27 at 01:57 AM.
LKW is offline   Reply With Quote