andersonh1
Headmaster

SC, USA

andersonh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 03:32 AM   #22
Pun-3X
Clinically dead since 1996

Nevada

Even seeing SOME of the little tricks you used to make the images, I still love the cityscapes. Everything blends so nicely. It's funny, but your technique seems to have gotten a bit better from the very first page. Granted, that had most everything spliced from different sources where most of the latter stuff is actually on-set.

Pun-3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 11:28 AM   #23
andersonh1
Headmaster

SC, USA

I think I did manage to figure out what worked best more and more as I went along. I had no idea how I was going to do any of the backgrounds when I started. It's definately been a learning curve making this.

Old 2007-04-02, 02:21 PM   #24
Pun-3X
Clinically dead since 1996

Nevada

That tends to be when making some kind of visual story. Webcomic artists tend to get better as they go along, and you can see the difference between their first and most recent strip.

Pun-3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 11:19 AM   #25
Osku
One with the Matrix

Finland
Smile

I've been reading your story few pages at the time. I'm now at Cheetor's "you have much to offer to Cybertron" speech.

Otherwise I really like what you've done so far, technically and story telling wise, but Silverbolt's character doesn't seem right to me.

Silverbolt in the cartoon was ashamed of his role as Jetstorm, and hated himself for what he had done as Vehicon general. In you story he is more like his BW personality self-righteous and pompous. I do realise he was sort of... what's the word... double-faced already in BW (helping Blackarachnia enter Ark etc.), but this "if it was up to me you'd be excecuted as war criminals" seems odd behaviour for his character. For all he knows Megatron could have tampered with their spark as well (without Strika and Obsidian knowing or realising it).

Or is "your" Silverbolt projecting his hate and self loathing to other bots, in this case Obsidian and Strika?

I could see Rattrap in Silverbolt's role easily though.

Osku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 11:39 AM   #26
andersonh1
Headmaster

SC, USA

Quote:
Silverbolt in the cartoon was ashamed of his role as Jetstorm, and hated himself for what he had done as Vehicon general. In you story he is more like his BW personality self-righteous and pompous. I do realise he was sort of... what's the word... double-faced already in BW (helping Blackarachnia enter Ark etc.), but this "if it was up to me you'd be excecuted as war criminals" seems odd behaviour for his character. For all he knows Megatron could have tampered with their spark as well (without Strika and Obsidian knowing or realising it).

Or is "your" Silverbolt projecting his hate and self loathing to other bots, in this case Obsidian and Strika?
There is a little of that, though I think Silverbolt was largely over his self-loathing by the end of Beast Machines, or at least had learned to deal with it.

I wrote the "you deserve to be executed" scene with a couple of things in mind. The sentiment Silverbolt expressed came from a mix of his old idealism mixed with his more vengeful attitude during Beast Machines. I think he would hold a grudge towards Obsidian and Strika for freely serving Megatron (apparently), and that's how I've written him.

Look at how he reacts to Blackarachnia's apparent death at the hands of Tarantulus in Beast Wars. His attempt to kill Tarantulus was motivated by revenge, certainly, but the idea that Silverbolt would believe that Obsidian and Strika's crimes were capital offenses is not a stretch in my view.

And in another sense, I knew Cheetor would offer to forgive and forget, and I needed a character to express the opposite sentiment, who felt that absolute justice was warranted rather than mercy, and Silverbolt fit that better than any of the other Maximals.

Old 2007-04-04, 01:54 PM   #27
Osku
One with the Matrix

Finland
Smile

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally posted by andersonh1
I wrote the "you deserve to be executed" scene with a couple of things in mind. The sentiment Silverbolt expressed came from a mix of his old idealism mixed with his more vengeful attitude during Beast Machines. I think he would hold a grudge towards Obsidian and Strika for freely serving Megatron (apparently), and that's how I've written him.

Look at how he reacts to Blackarachnia's apparent death at the hands of Tarantulus in Beast Wars. His attempt to kill Tarantulus was motivated by revenge, certainly, but the idea that Silverbolt would believe that Obsidian and Strika's crimes were capital offenses is not a stretch in my view.

I could understand Silverbolt wanting revenge, but for what actually? The death of Optimus, serving Megatron? Arguably they weren't part of the genocide Megatron planned.

Cold bloodidly to kill them doesn't sit well with the character, IMHO of course. Maybe in the heat of battle, but not after several days.

Quote:
And in another sense, I knew Cheetor would offer to forgive and forget, and I needed a character to express the opposite sentiment, who felt that absolute justice was warranted rather than mercy, and Silverbolt fit that better than any of the other Maximals.
Maybe it's Silverbolt's willingness, even eagerness to execute Obsidian and Strika that bothers me. Something like "If there were any spark extractors left working, I wouldn't hesitate to use those on you two, permanently." wouldn't seem that out of character. Again IMHO of course.

Old 2007-04-04, 02:48 PM   #28
tahukanuva
Human After All

Tennessee, US
Talking

Awesome. I really enjoy the characterization you've given everyone. Looking forward to seeing some more of Bolt/Rattrap.

I can't tell though, is Spy Streak the toy of Lazorbeak, Hydra, or the KO that they sell at Big Lots?

tahukanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 09:35 PM   #29
andersonh1
Headmaster

SC, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Osku
Thanks for the reply.

I could understand Silverbolt wanting revenge, but for what actually? The death of Optimus, serving Megatron? Arguably they weren't part of the genocide Megatron planned.
Despite what I said about his generally vengeful attitude in Beast Machines and his holding a grudge, I don't really see him as looking for revenge per se when he said what he said to Obsidian. It's more a case of justice in his mind, with the "treason as capital punishment" mindset.

Quote:
Cold bloodidly to kill them doesn't sit well with the character, IMHO of course. Maybe in the heat of battle, but not after several days.
It's not cold-blooded, it's just the punishment Silverbolt considers appropriate for the crime according to his convictions.

Quote:
Maybe it's Silverbolt's willingness, even eagerness to execute Obsidian and Strika that bothers me. Something like "If there were any spark extractors left working, I wouldn't hesitate to use those on you two, permanently." wouldn't seem that out of character. Again IMHO of course.
I wrote what he said to be deliberately harsh. It may arguably have gone a bit farther than Silverbolt might go, but I wanted to get the idea across that Silverbolt believed that Obsidian and Strika's crime in collaborating with Megatron was worthy of the harshest possible penalty. Think of them as Benedict Arnold, or some other famous traitor from history.

It's tough sometimes to capture the character exactly as it was in BW and BMac, but hopefully I've generally managed to be more successful than not. Thanks for your character thoughts, and I hope you'll give more as the story progresses, and more here if you want. This is the type of feedback that I really enjoy.

Last edited by andersonh1; 2007-04-04 at 09:48 PM.
Old 2007-04-04, 09:44 PM   #30
andersonh1
Headmaster

SC, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by tahukanuva
Awesome. I really enjoy the characterization you've given everyone. Looking forward to seeing some more of Bolt/Rattrap.

I can't tell though, is Spy Streak the toy of Lazorbeak, Hydra, or the KO that they sell at Big Lots?
That is the Big Lots KO. Cheap and easy way to build up the cast.

Old 2007-04-04, 10:30 PM   #31
tahukanuva
Human After All

Tennessee, US

Yeah, I picked me one up too. Pretty fun.

Lost his gun though

tahukanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 12:49 AM   #32
andersonh1
Headmaster

SC, USA

Last edited by andersonh1; 2008-12-31 at 02:55 AM.
Old 2007-04-09, 05:25 PM   #33
Osku
One with the Matrix

Finland

Strika has interesting view on organics (disgusting). One would think that she'd be familiar with the concept of Cybertronians using organic issue as "building material" for their bodies. Nightscream had a built in DNA scanner in the series and he didn't seem to be any kind of special case (like for example Primal's and/or Botanica's explorer crew).

More tampering on her/their sparks by Megatron, or just a case of "normal" intolerance?

I really like the first picture of Scarem.

Off topic. I've always disliked the official transformation for robot mode. IMHO the chest should be upper.
http://bwkuvat.bravehost.com/bwpictu...#beastmachines

Old 2007-04-09, 10:10 PM   #34
andersonh1
Headmaster

SC, USA

Quote:
Strika has interesting view on organics (disgusting). One would think that she'd be familiar with the concept of Cybertronians using organic issue as "building material" for their bodies. Nightscream had a built in DNA scanner in the series and he didn't seem to be any kind of special case (like for example Primal's and/or Botanica's explorer crew).

More tampering on her/their sparks by Megatron, or just a case of "normal" intolerance?
It's just Strika being intolerant, though her and Obsidian's attitudes have certainly been affected by their time serving Megatron. They are both essentially still 'the bad guys' even though they are protagonists, so I felt they should express negative traits. And it makes sense given they spent a good amount of time fighting against the idea of organics on Cybertron.

I got the impression from Beast Wars that Transformers go out, acquire a beast mode, and then normally shed it when returning to Cybertronian society. Rattrap talks about 'their own kind' not recognizing them in their 'fur coats'. It's nothing that was explicitly stated in the series, just an inference that I took and ran with.

And Strika's expressing disgust specifically with ingesting organic material as much as she's discussing organics in general. Presumably she thinks that Energon is the only 'proper' fuel for Transformers.

Last edited by andersonh1; 2007-04-09 at 10:14 PM.
Old 2007-04-12, 06:37 PM   #35
superquad7
Headmaster

NC

Shane, I gave you props at TFW2005, and I must do the same here! This is such a great story! Nice work man!

Check out my "Transformers: Alterations" by clicking above! (But don't click my homepage!)
superquad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 05:08 AM   #36
andersonh1
Headmaster

SC, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by superquad7
Shane, I gave you props at TFW2005, and I must do the same here! This is such a great story! Nice work man!
Nice to see another familiar face over here. Thanks!

Old 2007-04-18, 12:25 AM   #37
andersonh1
Headmaster

SC, USA

next: The Council of Elders

Old 2007-04-18, 10:30 AM   #38
Osku
One with the Matrix

Finland
Thumbs up

I wasn't sure if you were going to include Waspinator/Thrust to your story, but I'm glad you did.

Techno-organic Cybertron seems to be getting more convincing with every new patch you've posted. You've learnt new tricks by doing/experimenting?

Obsidian's and Strika's contempt of Maximals seems odd to me. If these two were in charge of defending Cybertron, they most propably should have been Maximals themselves. Maximals ruled Cybertron in BW timeframe (before Megatron's virus) and they wouldn't have gicen such position for Predacon/Decepticon or neutralists. Unless... were they Autobots in your mind?

Old 2007-04-18, 11:27 AM   #39
andersonh1
Headmaster

SC, USA

Quote:
I wasn't sure if you were going to include Waspinator/Thrust to your story, but I'm glad you did.
I had to include Waspinator.

Quote:
Techno-organic Cybertron seems to be getting more convincing with every new patch you've posted. You've learnt new tricks by doing/experimenting?
Very much so. I started out not knowing how I was going to make the comic, and learned quite a bit as I went on as I tried new things.

Quote:
Obsidian's and Strika's contempt of Maximals seems odd to me. If these two were in charge of defending Cybertron, they most propably should have been Maximals themselves. Maximals ruled Cybertron in BW timeframe (before Megatron's virus) and they wouldn't have gicen such position for Predacon/Decepticon or neutralists. Unless... were they Autobots in your mind?
I don't think the series ever confirmed that they were Maximals, but I wrote them with the idea that they had been, something which comes out much more as they meet the council next time. Strika is the one who mainly shows contempt for Maximals, and that comes straight from the TV show. In "Spark of Darkness" it's Obsidian who mainly seems to make the decision to join up with them, while Strika protests "You don't mean to join the Maximals!" or some such line.

I tend to write Obsidian as the more reasonable of the two, and Strika as the belligerent one. You could also consider her attitude another effect of her time spent serving Megatron.

Old 2007-04-23, 08:31 PM   #40
andersonh1
Headmaster

SC, USA