• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Toys & Merch

Old 2007-03-19, 03:43 PM   #21
Target
Powermaster

The Midlands - Melton Mowbray home of the pork pie

hmmmm Surley Hasbro would like more than one line that sells, and everyone seems to be saying the classics are selling well, or even selling out!
This would make Hasbro more money, which is what they want and give us more to choose from which is what we want. A win win situation all round.

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably havenít grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 03:51 PM   #22
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Yeh, in a more serious way I think further redecos are more than likely... but it depends what you want from the line. Say, a Starscream repainted as Thundercracker, Ramjet as Dirge type of thing would be possible, but new moulds would be less feasible until after the Movie toys.

Main thing to bear in mind is that Hasbro's strategy for this will have been planned way in advance, so if Classics is selling all that well (we really have very little hard data beyond a few toys being shortpacked at this stage, and only a couple of waves or so have actually been made anyway) they won't be able to do much about it any time soon, but will come back to it - they like money.

Last edited by Cliffjumper; 2007-03-19 at 03:54 PM.
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 03:57 PM   #23
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

Hopefully, they'll be in need of filler sometime soon. I'd love to see a few other characters get the Classics treatment, and definitely am pulling for the other three seekers (very likely to eventually turn up as store exclusives, seeing as Thundercracker's just a Repaint of Starscream, and Dirge and Thrust could just be repaints of Ramjet).

If they do new molds, I'd want to see Slag, Sludge and Snarl as new molds (I got some of the BW repaints, but I'd love to see some mechanical Dino modes) and a repaint of Energon Swoop (I never got a chance to own him, and he looks like he'd go well with the others).

EDIT: A "Hidden Agenda" two-pack, with Nemesis Prime and Thrust! In the BT story for NP, Dr Archeville found an ancient, malevolent spark, which really sounds like the spark of Unicron (if it is, that'll be really cool), and in Armada, Thrust throws in his lot with Unicron. That would make a great theme for an exclusive set.

Last edited by RID Scourge; 2007-03-19 at 04:16 PM.
RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 04:09 PM   #24
Target
Powermaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
but new moulds would be less feasible until after the Movie toys.

You mean they can't magic new moulds out of thin air??? Dam them, dam them all to hell!!!!

Well at least there is a little hope we'll get some more.

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably havenít grasped the situation!!
Old 2007-03-19, 04:21 PM   #25
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Originally posted by Clogs
With the movie coming up, I will expect this line to fade away and we'll see just oodles of movie toys. I fear that this might make for toys that we will wince at, but there will be good surprises there, I'm sure, given some of the items we've already glommed. And there's still the MP line, Alternators etc.
I just hope Hasbro doesn't fall in love with the "realistic" aspect of the movie too much. I might see the movie, but I certainly do NOT like the way the robots look. I like my Transformers...cartoony.

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 04:29 PM   #26
RID Scourge
Lurking

Aye, I definitely know that as a kid, I identified more with transformers that had actual faces. Even the ones, who didn't have them, per se, at least had a few features, so it looked more like they were wearing a faceplate, or something.

Old 2007-03-19, 05:43 PM   #27
sid burn

canada

I emailed hasbro but got chewed up in the corporate machine, recieving only an automated response that they would be sending my query to the "appropriate" sources

either way, I like the idea that down the line we may see this series come back into play

Of course the movie line takes centre stage right now but I can be patient

I will just have to dream of my classic voyager BlitzWing for now...

it would be interesting to hear from everyone about who they would love to see as a classic and why

As I said before, Blitzwing is my pick.
Just something about a jet carrying the bulk of a tank makes me think bad ass decepticon, plus his robot mode was sweet with the cannon section as his backplate. I also loved the beige and purple colour scheme, military and decepticon all in one

sid burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 12:54 PM   #28
ColdBain
Powermaster

New Zealand

Galvatron, Ironhide/Ratchet. They are really my two picks. For one, I'm threw seeing all the repainted Megatrons as Galvatrons, I want a Galvatron that is just it's own character like the good 'ole days. And Ironhide/Rachet because those poor buggers never really got a chance back in the G1 days, I mean look at them! They have no faces! For shame.
Picking those two out of the hat seems like the most obvious choice for me, but at the same time there are just so many characters who I would love to see get the Classics treatment (is that becoming a legitimate phrase now or something?), so choosing two is quite hard.

ColdBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 02:37 PM   #29
Target
Powermaster

I would love to see Wheeljack getting the classic treatment, but as there is an Alternator version I guess that will never happen I would also like to see more Classic Triple changers, Springer or Sandstorm would be great!!!

Old 2007-03-20, 05:29 PM   #30
sid burn

canada

Galvatron would be sweet, he really never does get his due toy wise

Wheeljack would be great too, one of my favourites from G1, with the tinted clear plastic face wings that would glow with any lightsource

an obscure one that would never get made but I would love to see is cosmos, always loved that character

there really isnt anything wrong with his G1 incarnation but I would love to see him more articulated and preferably with a face

Old 2007-03-20, 05:54 PM   #31
RID Scourge
Lurking

Quote:
Originally posted by sid burn
an obscure one that would never get made but I would love to see is cosmos, always loved that character
http://tfarchive.com/community/showt...threadid=37839

About a third of the way down the page is a concept drawing of Cosmos. The design turned out to be a little too expensive to implement, but as you can see, if they had released it, it would've been sweet.

Hopefully, if they do more classics molds the next time they need filler, we'll see an affordable, simplified version of this design that still manages to look as good.

Old 2007-03-20, 10:38 PM   #32
ColdBain
Powermaster

New Zealand
Default Classic Frustration

Man, what a concept drawing! Cosmos looks freaking awesome! And I mean freaking awesome. I've made it my business to collect (or attempt to collect) the entire Classics line, just because I like the idea of having an entire line (maybe I'm cheating a little bit with such a small line here, but meh).

Considering all the quality that the Classics line has espoused there is one thing that I am incredibly disappointed in... and that's the minicon/micromasters of this line. Is it me or are all their robot modes incredibly pathetic and un-robot like? That being said, the best mini-cons I've seen in any line were the ones in the Cybertron line, they just looked awesome... never bought them though because I never watched the cartoon.

SO naturally, as a completist for the Classics line, I have a bit of a dilema. The only toys I am missing from the line is the Commerative Soundwave, (which seems to be really easy to get a hold of from New Zealand for some reason), The MP Optimus (the one thing that doesn't seem to sell in NZ stores for some bizarre reason, must be the ridiculous cost for it, and nobody likes to pay heaps for a toy that sounds nothing like their hero) and the Classics Devastator release (nigh on impossible to get over here unless one accesses it from ebay or somewhere like that).

Looking at those three things, everything is all peachy, but then there are those mini-cons, they are just ugly, and honestly, I don't like the idea that they exist. I liked the repainted legends though, but the mini-cons, ugh, they make me think about what's missing from this line which annoys me. Energon and Cybertron had many size classes, but my favourite size class (the only one that I feel is really missing from the Classics line) was the size class inbetween the deluxes and the legends, the Energon Arcee size class. Cosmos and perhaps some others would have fallen into such a size class perfectly.

For a filler line, Classics seems a little underbaked, looking at it from a New Zealand perspective. All the classic toys just disappear from the shelves quicker than you can see them, the only transformers left in the stores over here are the MP Optimus Primes and the dregs of the Cybertron line. With every DVD store over here stocking the original series, it seems that there are a lot of people (maybe kids as well ) who are interested in these characters, and they just want a toy of their favourite character.

A little side note story, I got my little 9 year old brother a 1980s Ultra Magnus for christmas, opening it he was very happy to receive it, but when he started playing with it, he litterally said;
"They should make a classics one, it would be better."

Last edited by ColdBain; 2007-03-20 at 11:13 PM.
Old 2007-03-20, 10:46 PM   #33
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally posted by ColdBain
I got my little 9 year old brother a 1980s Ultra Magnus for christmas
I think this falls under "cruel and unusual punishment."

And for the love of FSM, man, paragraphs!

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 10:52 PM   #34
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Well, they did make a Classics Ultra Magnus...

Hasbro has hinted, though, that we'll see more Classics late this fall, well after the movie merchandise has cycled through, and alongside the tentative 'Heroes' line - and act as an effective replacement for Universe (and Alternators, I guess, considering the target audience)

BotCon 2007 will be Classics based, of course.

Of course, there's no OFFICIAL word yet. But a subline that corrects Universe's key mistakes makes some sense.

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 11:12 PM   #35
ColdBain
Powermaster

New Zealand

Quote:
I think this falls under "cruel and unusual punishment."
I think for me as well!

My mother got pissed off with the new cartoons because they weren't the ones I watched when I was younger, so she bought the DVDs for my little brother, as if to educate him on what Transformers really are. So naturally, because of her incapability of using a computer, I have to do all the 'special ordering' of toys that aren't around anymore.

Quote:
And for the love of FSM, man, paragraphs!
I've been trying to for a long while now, but for some reason when I leave gaps in these reply boxes, they don't want to appear in the main message! And my school teachers had the nerve to suggest I structured my essays well!

Quote:
Well, they did make a Classics Ultra Magnus...
That is true, and he has seen my one, the little fella just shook his head disappointedly and said: "That's just a white Optimus". Honestly, it's hard to please this generation!

Quote:
Hasbro has hinted, though, that we'll see more Classics late this fall, well after the movie merchandise has cycled through, and alongside the tentative 'Heroes' line - and act as an effective replacement for Universe (and Alternators, I guess, considering the target audience)
That certainly sounds interesting, it is also interesting to note that the last wave of Alternators were released in Cybertron packaging, so to construct a mainstay line to replace Universe would seem a logical investment for Hasbro, the Universe line never really took off over here, Classics seems to have a big following.

Maybe all this debate has somehow been orchestrated by Hasbro so that when (or if) a new wave of Classics DO come out, people are even more feverishly excited about it... I have been surprized so many times before with Transformer releases, so I definitely wouldn't put it past them!

Last edited by ColdBain; 2007-03-20 at 11:19 PM.
Old 2007-03-21, 12:51 AM   #36
sid burn

canada

Thanks for the link Scourge

I would have never thought the often forgotten little cosmos would get his due, but the concepts were really great, far better than I would have imagined

I myself have collected the entire line save devastator(preordered) and Soundwave (out in may here in canada)

I havent bought any of the mini cons, I dont really consider them part of the classics lineup, they just dont appeal in my opinion

either way, I will jump at the oppourtunity to buy more if they are made

on a side note, I have to agree with Coldbain's little brother on the ultra magnus comment

I like the repaint but it doesnt translate as magnus like the screamer repaint does for skywarp

I cant see why we cannot have repaints for all the seekers

thundercracker, dirge, and thrust are all attainable without big changes to the molds

Old 2007-03-21, 01:37 AM   #37
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

These are the classics I bought:

2 x Bumblebee
2 x Cliffjumper
2 x Mirage
2 x Rodimus
2 x Ultra Magnus
2 x Starscream
2 x Skywarp
2 x Astrotrain
2 x Ramjet
2 x Optimus Prime
1 x Grimlock
1 x Megatron
1 x Optimus Prime vs. Megatron
1 x Jetfire
1 x Soundwave
4 x Perceptor

The reason for so many deluxe doubles is I like to open one and hang one on the wall. In the case of Grimlock I just got the one to hang up because the mould didn't look that good to me.

I tend to mostly buy deluxe size figures in any line. I like them the best and they are roughly the size of G1 toys.

The four Perceptors was a goof, I got two and my girl bought me two.

I wanna get the Legends Menasor and if Deluxe Megatron comes individual ( I saw a pre-production package online) I'll buy him too.

Everything else I am skipping, no mini-cons and no more of the Legends.

Come on and wind me up.
another tf fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 09:28 AM   #38
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Originally posted by ColdBain
That is true, and he has seen my one, the little fella just shook his head disappointedly and said: "That's just a white Optimus". Honestly, it's hard to please this generation!
I don't think he's the only one who sees the matter in such light...

Old 2007-03-21, 01:14 PM   #39
ColdBain
Powermaster

New Zealand

Quote:
I don't think he's the only one who sees the matter in such light...
Agreed, however one character that annoys me more is Galvatron. As is the case in RiD, Armada, Energon AND Cybertron Galvatron is just a repainted Megatron, not a seperate character. As far as I'm aware...

Old 2007-03-21, 02:05 PM   #40
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

Agreed there. It'd be a bit more acceptable too if Megatron would at least get a new layer of paint in MORE than nine episodes until the end of the series.