• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Toys & Merch

Old 2007-03-22, 12:50 PM   #41
Target
Powermaster

The Midlands - Melton Mowbray home of the pork pie

Quote:
Originally posted by TFVanguard
Well, they did Hasbro has hinted, though, that we'll see more Classics late this fall, well after the movie merchandise has cycled through, and alongside the tentative 'Heroes' line - and act as an effective replacement for Universe (and Alternators, I guess, considering the target audience)

BotCon 2007 will be Classics based, of course.

Of course, there's no OFFICIAL word yet. But a subline that corrects Universe's key mistakes makes some sense.
That's good news,
OK, now for a few daft question, what is BotCon? and what is the Heroes line?

And just to be different I really like Classics Ultra Magnus

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably havenít grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 02:56 PM   #42
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botcon

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 02:58 PM   #43
Prime07
Seeker

Earth

I hope they do continue classics. Honestly I'd say if they re-did every original character there would be a BIG market. Especially rare ones like A GOOD Ironhide/Rachet, Jazz, and Wheeljack. At least your post gives us hope Vangaurd!

Transformers Generation 1 fan
Prime07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 04:20 PM   #44
sid burn

canada

Quote:
Originally posted by Prime07
I hope they do continue classics. Honestly I'd say if they re-did every original character there would be a BIG market!
The idea of Hasbro re releasing the entire g1 line remolded for the classics line would be a beautiful thing

I think I am getting dizzy thinking about it

ironhide, ratchet, prowl, warpath, seaspray, hound, wheeljack, cosmos, tracks, jazz, kup

galvatron and his whole crew, the junkions, the dinobots,
Blitzwing and the rest of the seekers

the list is huge and so many of them would benefit from the classics remoldel

sid burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 05:25 PM   #45
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Quote:
Honestly I'd say if they re-did every original character there would be a BIG market.
What, there's a big market for Skyhammer, Cement Head, Mainframe, Ransack, Finback, Treadshot etc.?

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 05:32 PM   #46
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Red face

Shhh... most of them don't know Transformers carried on after 1986... tread softly for you tread on their dreams, etc...

Or grab a chair leg of truth.

Old 2007-03-23, 01:55 AM   #47
sid burn

canada

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
Shhh... most of them don't know Transformers carried on after 1986... tread softly for you tread on their dreams, etc...

Or grab a chair leg of truth.
it's interesting to me that there are people on this forum that seem so quick to drag everyone down with a heaping dose of reality

this IS after all a forum about transformers, perhaps some of us can see that the reality of hasbro's logistics department isnt really the main concern

If I want to indulge in a speculative conversation about how great a classics remodel of the entire G1 toyline would be, I dont need anyone over my shoulder telling me that it will never happen

if you dont have something to contribute, why dont you just keep off this thread

sid burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 02:37 AM   #48
Prime07
Seeker

Earth

Well put Sid Burn.

We know they(Hasbro) would never redo the entire G1 line. It would be nice, but then again what is nice and reality rarely ever meet.

And I do know TF carried on after 1986. I just didn't like any of the other series.

Transformers Generation 1 fan
Prime07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 03:26 AM   #49
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally posted by sid burn
the reality of hasbro's logistics department isnt really the main concern
Quote:
if they re-did every original character there would be a BIG market.
The original series ran until 1992 (then got a slight rebranding and used a majority of the same characters until it died off in the West in 1995.)

Most people can't name many of the later characters, so the likelihood of them beating down the doors of Wal-Mart in search of Classics Krok is pretty slim.

We're fine with opinion, even the barking weird ones. Opinion presented as fait accompli tends to go down a little less well.
Quote:
Originally posted by sid burn
if you dont have something to contribute, why dont you just keep off this thread
Cigarette? Or other last request before this goes downhill?

Old 2007-03-23, 03:59 AM   #50
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

Quote:
Most people can't name many of the later characters, so the likelihood of them beating down the doors of Wal-Mart in search of Classics Krok is pretty slim.
You know, I'm laughing over that, but I would definitely buy it, if they were going to make him . . . but that's just because he's probably the most random figure that would get the classics treatment, and I just love randomness.

EDIT: I can totally see a Botcon Exclusive, where they remold Mirage's head, and maybe divide the "window"ish portion into tinier sections. I don't honestly expect them to do that, per se, seeing as it would be a really bad idea, unless they put him in the big set, but if I were to design him for a convention, that's probably the figure I'd use. Maybe I'd slightly modify the car mode a bit, adding guns to the sides, so that they became like the ones on Krok's shoulders, but otherwise, it's quite a match, and probably a unique take, seeing as most people would probably assume he was a jet . . .

Last edited by RID Scourge; 2007-03-23 at 04:05 AM.
RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 04:20 AM   #51
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Could probably get a Treadshot out of the Megatron mould with a new head, although it'd have to be some lurid bright colour. Maybe with a VS pack Megatron head and some way of folding the "wings" back...

Old 2007-03-23, 05:44 AM   #52
Gouki
Not a robot.

Australia.

A few waves every so often, after the movie, similar to Universe would be a very good thing. Maybe we'd see some less loved characters (in terms of toys), would be released.

Wreck-Gar, for example. Springer. Iron Hide. Hun-Gurr...

A continuation is not something I'm expecting to see, but it would make me happy.

"Give into the Demon inside... Shun Goku Sattsu!"
Gouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 10:37 AM   #53
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Honestly I'd say if they re-did every original character there would be a BIG market.
No, there wouldn't be a BIG market. There would be a NON-EXISTANT market.

Unless, of course, by "original", you mean most of the 1984 line-up. The Headless Duo (ie. Ironhide and Ratchet) could use an upgrade for certain. Though a lot of my personal favorite characters are post-movie...

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 10:52 AM   #54
tahukanuva
Human After All

Tennessee, US
Lightbulb

Quote:
And I do know TF carried on after 1986. I just didn't like any of the other series.
Ignoring the fact that the original series carried on past 1986, which was Denyer's point in the first place.

I probably wouldn't buy Classics versions of many 'formers past the '85 lineup personally, having a general disliking of the majority of post-movie character designs with the exception of a few like Bludgeon, Octane, Cyclonus, maybe Galvatron.

Now, a Classics Deathsaurus, that's where the money is.

tahukanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 11:11 AM   #55
ColdBain
Powermaster

New Zealand

I think the reason why Classics had such a profound affect on me is because of the new designs of older characters, you know? It's not so much about the 'older toys getting an upgrade' for me, rather the classic characters getting newer designs.

Surely with the re-release of the '85 there would be a benefit in constructing new designs for those classics. That's what I love about the Classics line, they're a little more character conscious that most of the G1 releases past the third series of Transformers.

While having an upgraded version of every toy released in the G1 line would be amazing, the point I feel I must express is most names and character designs have been re-used and re-mashed into different designs for different lines anyway. I would be more interested in seeing specific characters who were identifiable get remade, rather than 'toys' that were made to bulster the line.

ColdBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 12:14 PM   #56
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Thumbs up

Quote:

We're fine with opinion, even the barking weird ones. Opinion presented as fait accompli tends to go down a little less well.
Couldn't have put it better myself. "I'd love to see a Classics Skyfall" is an opinion you can't really argue with... "if they re-did every original character there would be a BIG market" is a fallacy.

Now, where's this rule about everyone who isn't mindlessly optimistic not being allowed to post?

Classics as it is has worked so well due to discretion - picking a character, crafting a fitting figure for that character, putting some real effort in. If it went to a 30-figure a year methodical plod through old characters, quality would drop - just like it did for Alternators - and fanboy bile would rise - just like it did for Alternators. One of the reasons Classics has gone down so well it's because it's a small, tight, generally turkey-free line, and that's one of the reasons it's sold so well - it's feasible for many people to collect the lot, for stores to have the entire range on show (and order them, as well). Start doing Topspin*, Groove* and Roadhugger* and that'd change, in all likelihood. Bumblebee, Starscream, Hot Rod, Optimus Prime and Megatron are all names people remember - Grapple* and Dirge* less so (Hasbro's faith in the likes of Astrotrain and Ramjet seems to have been demonstrated by these figures shipping in smaller numbers).

Sure, there's a lot more they could do with Classics, no-one's denying that. But the whole original line would be commercial suicide...

* = Incidentally, a fistful of people saying "I'd buy a Classics ____" on a Transformers board in response to this does not indicate a giant potential market Hasbro are ignoring out of pure spite... People who go to Transformers boards buy all kinds of stuff... There's a reason BotCon exclusives are exclusive to BotCon...

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 02:13 PM   #57
RID Scourge
Lurking

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by tahukanuva
Cyclonus
Ooh! That would be pretty awesome.

Old 2007-03-23, 02:43 PM   #58
tahukanuva
Human After All

Tennessee, US

The thing with Cyclonus was that he had such a great vehicle mode, and character model, and his original toy didn't do it any justice. (movie toys were designed from animation, right?)

tahukanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 04:02 PM   #59
RID Scourge
Lurking

Fo' sure. His jet mode was right on. If they gave him the classics treatment, I think he'd look great.

If they didn't want to dedicate a new mold to him, they could even get a nice voyager with a slight retool of the smaller Energon Megs.

Old 2007-03-23, 08:22 PM   #60
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

You have to admit, with some exceptions, once you're past the movie, there just AIN'T a lot of 'fan favorites' left for G1. And, even pre-movie, there's quite a few that aren't exactly calling out a lot of attention.

"Hey, remember Steeljaw!"

There's a lot more that they CAN do in classics, but I do prefer a careful 'pick and choose' approach than just throwing the 1984-1986 guys en masse again.

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote