• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2007-03-13, 11:38 PM   #1
blastoff
Dinobot

BOSTON
Default Op and Megs in the Unicron Trilogy

I was watching episodes of Armada and Cybertron and I was wondering why Optimus and Megatron got a totally new form in each series including Energon
I liked Prime's forms in Armada and Cybertron. In Energon he was too hefty looking and I hated all those add ons, his super mode was way overused.

I liked all of Megatron's forms especially his Armada form. I only wished that his tank mode was used in the other series.

You've got the wrong bunch
blastoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 12:07 AM   #2
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

Energon Prime has been hated ever since he was first spotted. The whols gimmick system of A/E/C has been debated and mostly disliked. Energon's superlinking system confined the toys to mostly unwieldy robot designs.

Come on and wind me up.
another tf fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 12:22 AM   #3
tahukanuva
Human After All

Tennessee, US
Default Re: Op and Megs in the Unicron Trilogy

Quote:
Originally posted by blastoff
I was wondering why Optimus and Megatron got a totally new form in each series including Energon
To sell more toys.

Or, in story;
Optimus: for the Hell of it.
Megs: 'Cause he kept getting his old ones blowed up.

tahukanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 01:44 AM   #4
Civ
News-"breaker"-in-Training

Pennsylvania

If I remember correctly, all three were originally written for a Japanese audience and the equivalents of Armada and Energon were connected in the same continuity; however, Galaxy Force was written apart from it. Hasbro tried to get Armada, Energon, and Cybertron to flow as a trilogy.

As tahukanuva said, Optimus just got new bodies for the hell of it though in Armada, I seem to recall that Optimus got pretty beaten up at the end. Megatron/Galvatron at the end of Armada just got wrecked and he needed a new body.

Since Galaxy Force was its own series. The writers were just starting over from scratch.

Toy selling is a fictitious thing and who would ever watch a series based on toys?

Civ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 01:46 PM   #5
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Or, to look at it from another angle, why would it stay the same? When you think about it, in G1 there were constant upgrades, with things like binary bonding, Pretender shells, multi-changers, etc., in some ways it's a bit unrealistic that most of the G1 crew didn't jump on the upgrade bandwagon - one of the biggest problems with most G1 continuities is that somehow Prime/Megatron and their mobs aren't left completely outmoded by being dormant for four million years of vicious civil war (or, if you're mad and follow the cartoon, four million years of four insulting stereotypes nicking Panda Pops off a one-eyed fool)... That's just plain silly, when you think that in WW2 just about everything in service in 1939 was obsolete in 1945...

Or, yeh, toy-selling, whatever

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 07:08 PM   #6
the_escaflowne_2k
Gestalt

Under a cloud, no atlas though [Manchester].

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
one of the biggest problems with most G1 continuities is that somehow Prime/Megatron and their mobs aren't left completely outmoded by being dormant for four million years of vicious civil war
Or, yeh, toy-selling, whatever
Wasn't Liege Maximo, or Jihaxus (im quite poor on comic names/continiuty)/whoever more advanced cybetronians who then kicked the old bots arses?

"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
the_escaflowne_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 08:18 PM   #7
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by the_escaflowne_2k
Wasn't Liege Maximo, or Jihaxus (im quite poor on comic names/continiuty)/whoever more advanced cybetronians who then kicked the old bots arses?
Well, only Jhiaxus had that good a record (beating an overconfident Megatron, and messing up Prime's face but good, though Op wasn't actually fighting back). The "Cybertronians" (quite why they picked up that nickname when the whole point is they left Cybertron I don't know... it's like calling Americans "English" or something) successes largely came through massive weight of numbers - in most battles where they were more evenly matched, the Autobots/Decepticons won out (we just tend to remember Mirage/Red Alert/Smokescreen/the Combaticons etc. dying because they're characters). But yeh, Jhiaxus & co. did harp on at times about the other being outmoded, but didn't really back it up too well - a bit like the Nazi party banged on about Aryan superiority, but lost to a bunch of pasty-faced limeys and lard-arse Yanks

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 08:30 PM   #8
the_escaflowne_2k
Gestalt

Under a cloud, no atlas though [Manchester].

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Well, only Jhiaxus had that good a record (beating an overconfident Megatron, and messing up Prime's face but good, though Op wasn't actually fighting back). The "Cybertronians" (quite why they picked up that nickname when the whole point is they left Cybertron I don't know... it's like calling Americans "English" or something) successes largely came through massive weight of numbers - in most battles where they were more evenly matched, the Autobots/Decepticons won out (we just tend to remember Mirage/Red Alert/Smokescreen/the Combaticons etc. dying because they're characters). But yeh, Jhiaxus & co. did harp on at times about the other being outmoded, but didn't really back it up too well - a bit like the Nazi party banged on about Aryan superiority, but lost to a bunch of pasty-faced limeys and lard-arse Yanks
Well thats cleared that bit up in my head, though it was nice to know that i wasn't totally wide of the ball.

"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
the_escaflowne_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 06:31 AM   #9
Ackula
Charnel House

CA

The actual reason behind this according to Hasbro and the official storyline, is that when a Transfromer scans a new object and takes on a new form his overall body is reformatted, this is why they look different in each of the three series. Which actually makes sense if you think about it..I mean in the G1 cartoon it never made much sense that they looked like they turned into trucks and cars, but on Cybertron they turned into futuristic Cybertronian alt modes.

This explanation can be found on the DVD that comes with the Optimus vs Megs 2 pack from the recent Classics series, which is narrated by Optimus Prime (Gary Chalk). As well as it was one of the questions answered by "Vector Prime" on Hasbro's official website under the whole "Ask Vector Prime" section.

But to make it really simple, it was to sell toys.

Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote