• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2007-03-24, 11:54 PM   #21
Reflector
Official Energon Bitch

Lost in the supermarket
Thumbs up *prays. sorta.*

I still think this is the greatest idea Bay's ever had/entertained. Weaving's perfect for the part, and Welker would just ruin it. They'd need to do way too much vocal processing to make Welker sound legitimately evil, especially in his Megatron voice. Weaving's much more natural at spewing venom.

Can't wait.

Reflector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 11:57 PM   #22
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by Target
But according to imdb
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418279/
Frank is listed as doing Megatrons voice...
Serves to prove that IMDB entries for movies that aren't out yet are worth ****.

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 12:03 AM   #23
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

Still waiting for Steve Buscemi to get cast in this thing. Him and Bay have a symbiotic relationship

Come on and wind me up.
another tf fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 05:03 PM   #24
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Yeh, I've never been a fan of Welker's Megatron... too much of a reminder of a character totally unable to pose any sort odd danger - not just his fault as the writers put the words in his mouth, but at the same time Megatron always sounded so slow and thick. Cullen I'm down with, Chalk always sounded a bit too 'young' for me. Of the past Megatrons I'd throw my hat in with Kaye, because he sounded so menacing and charming at the same time - never really knew what sort of mood he was in...

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 08:04 PM   #25
Pun-3X
Clinically dead since 1996

Nevada

Agreed, I was never a fan of Welker being this Megs.

Really, I wasn't too picky about Megatron's voice in this. Hugo would definitely fit the bill if this is true.

Pun-3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 10:41 PM   #26
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally posted by another tf fan
That has been up for a while...
Since about 2004, IIRC...

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 11:42 PM   #27
TSFC
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by another tf fan
Still waiting for Steve Buscemi to get cast in this thing. Him and Bay have a symbiotic relationship
I had forgotten about that, good point. If he does get added to the cast...I wonder who he'd be?

TSFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 11:43 PM   #28
The Wild One
Get 'em Kitty!

Trapped at the anal sphyncter of the world.

They seem to have made it official on superherohype.com

It's time to get wild!!!!!
The Wild One
The Wild One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 01:14 PM   #29
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Of the past Megatrons I'd throw my hat in with Kaye, because he sounded so menacing and charming at the same time - never really knew what sort of mood he was in...
Certainly in the Prequel comic it's easier to hear Kaye (and indeed Weaving) saying the lines than Welker.

[That sentence is to be taken at face value].

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 01:18 PM   #30
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Personally, I 'hear' Kaye most of the time for Megatron, especially when there's anything approaching menace coming from the bloke - G2, for example. Imagine Welker saying any of that... no, somehow two years before he was cast, that's Kaye voicing the lines. I can see Megaclone being Kaye as well - the normal Megatron (i.e. the one who's in most of the US series, and is thick) sounds like Welker.

If Megatron was just going to make animal noises, be filtered into next week or be an annoying cock with an omlette on his stupid, deformed face I'd be all for Welker. If the intentions are anything else, he's not the man for the job.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 01:26 PM   #31
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Talking

Well, Movie Megs does have the stupid deformed face part down pat.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 07:35 PM   #32
Osku
One with the Matrix

Finland

Not a bad choice.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Personally, I 'hear' Kaye most of the time for Megatron, especially when there's anything approaching menace coming from the bloke - G2, for example. Imagine Welker saying any of that... no, somehow two years before he was cast, that's Kaye voicing the lines. I can see Megaclone being Kaye as well - the normal Megatron (i.e. the one who's in most of the US series, and is thick) sounds like Welker.
About the same. Assuming you're talking about Kaye's performance from BW/BM. Not familiar with his work on Armada/Energon/Cybertron.

Now that I think about it, I don't even remember how Megatron from original series sounds like.

Osku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 08:25 PM   #33
Megatimus
Headmaster

Very raspy. Deeper than Starscream though. But Kaye is the Megatron which the film has qualities of.

Megatimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 08:43 PM   #34
Sixswitch
Rameses Niblik The Third, Kerplunk Kerplunk, Whoops, Where's My Thribble

Sent to outer space, to find another happy place.

The problem for me is that Welker's Megatron is very obviously a 'cartoon' voice. A very good cartoon voice (in my opinion), but this is supposed to be a live action film, so I think we need something a little more 'realistic' (yes I know we're talking about giant 40 foot robots). Kaye would be my choice between the two cartoon actors, but Hugo Weaving would also be excellent.

-Ss

Sixswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 11:52 PM   #35
LKW
Gestalt

fray-adjacent

Just for the record, in my personal opinion, Frank Welker's Megatron is the second greatest villain voice of all time, behind only James Earl Jones' Darth Vader.

But, that voice may not belong with the razor-toothed character of the Bay film... and Peter Cullen could well be out of place, too.

LKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 01:04 AM   #36
Markus

behind you with a chainsaw

steve buschimi would be a great bumblebee, imo.

Markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 03:55 AM   #37
TURBO CHARGER
DAMN I'M GOOD!

Aurora, Colorado

Quote:
Originally posted by Markus
steve buschimi would be a great bumblebee, imo.
HAHA, I could hear that.

ATTENTION: THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT FROM YOUR FRIEND, TURBO CHARGER
TURBO CHARGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 08:48 AM   #38
SenahBirdR
Headmaster

Underneath a rainy tree, Oregon

I always found Cullen's voice to have a paternal comfort to it. There is some sternness and some sadness to his Prime voice at times, especially the movie. If they go with the classic prime characterization, a working stiff doing his duty, then I think he fits the movie. The flame paint makes me wonder if this Prime is going with a more standard action hero characterization, but I'll wait for the movie.

Welker's Megatron I always found fascinating. A great villian voice in my opinion, yet I do agree that it is a cartoon villian's voice and would fail a bit on the big screen. Kaye's is another great one too. Very different and more suave. However, I think he lacks a certain power to his voice that would be needed to this role. Almost too human. My imagination places the Megatron as very coldly evil. Hugo Weaving can do different voices. My hope is that he does a deeper crisp and terse mode of speech. The almost drawl of Agent Smith is unnecessary in my mind, but certainly pull forth some of the calculating hatred that he used in that role. I want Megatron to come across as cold inevitability (heh), the voice of an uncaring Tyrant that barely recognizes the existence of others.

I am going to trust that the right decisions were made and wait for the movie. Actors can heavily surprise us.

SenahBirdR is offline   Reply With Quote