• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > General Discussion

Old 2007-04-01, 08:15 PM   #21
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Oh, and we'll never be completely safe from the return of Jackie, it is a time machine after all.
But he promised they were stuck there... surely he wouldn't go back on purpose?

With you on the screwdriver... no problems with it working as a simple tool and a lock-pick (cell scenes are dull), but when it gets to being something you can point at the baddies and disable them, it's inching towards being a weapon, aside from the narrative problems - there are times he's used the thing as a glorified laser pistol, but with some technobabble poured on...

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 08:22 PM   #22
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

They are stuck in Pete's World, it's just there's nothing to stop him running into her in 1997 or something. The danger remains...

I still don't know why the Doctor doesn't carry a few Tardis energy cells on him now we know they can explode 50 Cybermen.

I wonder how long the Doctor has to be dead for before he regenerates?

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 08:30 PM   #23
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

See, I always thought it happened to stop him dying - isn't he always (with the exception of the TV movie, though I'd say you could hammer together a reasonable fan theory as to him placing himself in a coma to stop the doctors doing any more damage to his insides and jeopardising the regeneration) still alive when it happens, albeit sometimes in the process of dying? Remember, regeneration isn't necessarily another life, but a way of continuing the one life The Doctor has - the Doctor can still die under certain circumstances, and regeneration isn't a certainty (cf. Caves a/o) - it'd be hard to regenerate if, for the sake of argument, he was crushed to death under a comedy 100 ton weight. So it seems pretty straightfforward to me - whatever the Plasmavore did to him was enough to kill him, decimating his ability to regenerate, and thus Martha's CPR saved his life and stopped him from dying... Again, he could have put himself into a trance to buy himself time.

Old 2007-04-01, 08:36 PM   #24
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
It'd perhaps be nice, like the TARDIS, if he didn't really know precisely how the thing worked.
Bit unlikely, though. The sonic screwdriver is quite basic compared to the whole TARDIS, or even things like modifying Earth equipment to be more powerful.

I like that the TARDIS itself isn't so much the get-out-of-jail-free card these days.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 11:06 PM   #25
Jetfire
Danny Cipriani > You

Hard traveling hero.

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
Bit unlikely, though. The sonic screwdriver is quite basic compared to the whole TARDIS, or even things like modifying Earth equipment to be more powerful.

I like that the TARDIS itself isn't so much the get-out-of-jail-free card these days.
For all his brilliance The Doctor's knowledge and genius when it comes to Gallifrean technology hasn't been superb has it?

I mean he took hundreds of years to master the TARDIS, has been shown to have nothing on the Time Lords abilities (They can make a hand head TARDIS summoner in the Two Doctors) and Romana casually fashioned a Sonic Scewdriver that was so much better than the Doctors he tried to nick it.

Heck at the start of "Genesis of the Daleks" the Time effortlessly highjacked The Doctor in mid teleportation, something The Doctor was surprised could be one so easily or safely.

Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 11:10 PM   #26
Jetfire
Danny Cipriani > You

Hard traveling hero.

As for the episode, I loved it. It wasn't a dead cert classic but it's was fun all the way through. Martha Jones looks like see will be a good companion.

The Judoon were quite good. However I perplexed as to why they are made to look so physically similar to the Sontarian's with their helmits on if they (apparently) are not related.

Old 2007-04-04, 03:33 PM   #27
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Of course, there's nothing to say the sonic screwdriver is Gallifreyan tech really, Captain Jack's sonic gun seemed to operate on similar principles...

How sweet is that bit in The War Games where the Doctor proves he's from the future by using the scredriver to UNSCREW A SCREW!!!!!WOOOTWOOTWOOT!!!! in retrospect?

Old 2007-04-04, 06:36 PM   #28
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

I love The War Games, it's just so bizarre and rambling. Gotta love The Security Chief. "No

Old 2007-04-04, 06:38 PM   #29
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

what

Old 2007-04-04, 06:39 PM   #30
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

a

Old 2007-04-04, 06:40 PM   #31
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

stupid

Old 2007-04-04, 06:41 PM   #32
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Talking

Awesome

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 06:41 PM   #33
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

fool

EDIT: You've ruined it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 2007-04-04, 07:03 PM   #34
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Talking

Brendocon 1
Cliffjumper 0

Spamfilter with the assist

2-0 if you count the other thread

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 08:43 AM   #35
Jetfire
Danny Cipriani > You

Hard traveling hero.

You're avoiding the real issue Brend:

http://tfarchive.com/community/showt...threadid=38536

Jetfire 1
Brendocon 0 (Full time)

Old 2007-04-05, 05:17 PM   #36
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
I love The War Games, it's just so bizarre and rambling. Gotta love The Security Chief. "No
James Bree does have a unique delivery doesn't he? It's a odd story in that you could easily cut out five episodes in the middle, but it's so fun and Zoe's so perky it still stands up well.

According to the interview with her in SFX, Frema has not only been to Star Trek conventions, but she's gone in costume (as DS9's Dax. Her sister was a Bajoran). She's one of us!

Old 2007-04-07, 06:49 PM   #37
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Episode 2 - the crap with Shakespeare

Good points:

- Arbitrary Taunton reference
- Fit witch

Bad Points:

- Just about everything else - standouts were the 10 budget (which seems to be 10 more than next week's, at any rate), the ongoing Shakespeare quotes thing, Martha being given absolutely nothing to do apart from being black, a very, very predictable plot, yet another ****ing disappeared race reappearing, etc.

1/10

All that said, it was very obviously some sort of belated April Fool's joke, and we've still got 12 episodes to go for the series, so that's a good thing.

Old 2007-04-07, 07:07 PM   #38
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Wink

Oh, and before anyone asks me whether I was rushing to the internet to post my disgust, check out this lot - http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...action=history

Related reading - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love%27s_Labour%27s_Won

Old 2007-04-07, 11:07 PM   #39
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

Have yet to see it. Not sure if I should be looking forward to it or not, now.....

Although I do have to admit, the episode trailer made me think more of "Shakespeare in Love" than Doctor Who.

Just tell me Ben Affleck's not in it.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 11:44 PM   #40
Jetfire
Danny Cipriani > You

Hard traveling hero.

Affleck was actually great in Shakespear in Love. He's great at comic roles I'll give him that.