Ackula
Charnel House

CA

Quote:
Originally posted by trilobitepictures
Mutemath's TRANSFORMERS theme...

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5817

Au-to-bots are watching you...

Kind of reminds me of T-U-R-T-L-E POWER by Partners in Kryme.

[edit:]
and the run-down of the Autobots' names is just the pinnacle of cheese.
I thought this song was cool as hell until the name off and the rapping bit...that just ruined it for me. I think I'm too old to appreciate this or anything else on the soundtrack honestly. I liked HIM pretty good back about 4 years or so ago..but I haven't kept up with them since the began putting out music in America so I don't know if I'd care for their new stuff or not.

Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 07:23 AM   #22
Brimstone
Unicron

Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally posted by trilobitepictures
and the run-down of the Autobots' names is just the pinnacle of cheese.
It wasn't a complete run-down.... That's ominous.

Well, odd omition aside, it's still a pretty crappy song. And yeah, "T-U-R-T-L-E Power" is the perfect analogy for this song. (it sucked too)

Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 12:09 PM   #23
trilobitepictures
Dinobot

In a house. With walls even. I'M NORMAL!

And Amazon.com has the image of the soundtrack's cover.
Anyone who guesses that it's the Prime poster that we've seen a billion times already wins a hearty thumbs-up.

trilobitepictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 12:29 PM   #24
Clogs
has retired, boo-yah!

Leicester, in the Heart of England

Um, so who are those bands? I know Linkin Park, of course, because they're good (I'm listening to a track right now on the mp3)...

What the film needs is, indeed, really heavy metal, the kind I remember from days of yore. Hell, it needs 'Instruments of Destruction'

(I'm dating myself here, neh?)

Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 01:37 PM   #25
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

I just wish the thing had no ****ing pop music (because that's what it all is, basically) on it at all. What exactly would be so ****ing wrong with just having a score for the film, and no half-arsed skater ****s wearing ironic hoodies involved whatsoever? A score worked for Pirates, so why it can't for this I don't know. ****ty, shouty nu-metal and the like has ruined many a popcorn flick of late (Daredevil would have been almost amiable if it didn't keep turning into MTV) - same way Vince di Cola's stuff shat all over the bands imitating other bands the studio couldn't afford in 1986. Wankers, the lot of them. I hope they all die in freak yachting accidents. I couldn't give a **** if they get Maiden on it, or some Canadian one-shot wonders pretending to be Maiden, it's all bull**** that doesn't belong in films...

On the plus side, "Doomsday Clock" is just one letter away from being an excellent description of SP frontman Billy "The ****" Corgan. Yeh, that placates me.

EDIT: Mmmm, sweary

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 01:52 PM   #26
trilobitepictures
Dinobot

In a house. With walls even. I'M NORMAL!

We'll probably be seeing two CDs from this- the score and the soundtrack.

The term "soundtrack" can have a double meaning as far as music is concerned. It can, and frequently does, mean the music used in the film, orchestral and all (Any of the LORD OF THE RINGS CDs, for example. Orchestral music with the song for the credits)... or it can mean "songs used in the movie" (GODZILLA... tons of songs with two orchestrals).

If a CD is labeled "score", then that'll just be the orchestral music.

trilobitepictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 02:56 PM   #27
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.

Is this an actual soundtrack, or the oft seen and utterly pointless "Music From and Inspired By" which usually equates to whatever guff they play over the end credits, plus a load of radio friendly unit shifters by whatever bands iTunes thinks the target audience might like?

And I don't doubt for a minute that they would have tried to squeeze some MOR dadrock into Pirates if not for the fact that even an idiot could see how anachronistic it would be. I mean they're hardly going to crank up their 8-tracks as they sail the seas, are they?

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 03:10 PM   #28
Ackula
Charnel House

CA

I'm hoping this is one of the "music inspired by" albums and not the actual soundtrack. Like Brend said those are pretty common, hopefully the movie was just have a good score to go along with it and not all this nu-metal.

However I have a bad feeling that this is the actual soundtrack :\

Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 03:22 PM   #29
Apriorion

The Formitron

Quote:
Originally posted by TFVanguard
Completely different. The classic theme doesn't make an 'appearance' at all - even, apparently, as an homaged cord (like what ST:TMP did with the original Trek theme)

Too bad, really...
Did you post this before you listened to the song in question? Look, I agree for reasons already posted by others above that the song is cheezy, but it clearly has an homage in the way of chords. It just seems like you're making stuff up. Perhaps you are referring to the classical score that will be in the actual film (let's face it, for good or ill, these "soundtracks" hardly show up in the film at all anymore--I was so looking forward to hearing some Flaming Lips in Spiderman 3, but was disappointed on that score, let alone a few others). If you are referring to the orchestral arrangements, I have to ask you how you know there is no classic theme reference there either.

Apriorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 04:58 PM   #30
Notabot
Lutheran

Lowden, IA

Most "soundtracks" lately are filled up with songs which might appear for all of 2 seconds in the film. It's a cheaterish way to pad out the soundtrack. Given the fact that Bumblebee has a radio which apparently plays a big part in the movie, I'd imagine many of these songs might be involved in a "Shia flipping through stations to find something good" scene.

Notabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 07:26 PM   #31
AutobotJazz
Dinobot

Unsure

Mostly it seems like a decent array of artists without being too heavy (which would put off a lot of people...you know parents taking kids.) Seems very similar in style to the Spiderman OST's...you know nu-metal, guitar pop...inoffensive to the ear and in keeping with a heavily set piece orientated movie....oooo robot fight - chuck in some guitars. Dont get me wrong I'll end up buying it (I have the first one)...but dear god the Transformers theme but Mutemath is the bastard child of Kraftwerk and Limp Bizkit...utter...well...rubbish really. I hope that this song plays over the end credits by which time I will have ceased caring about the music, and started planning when to see it again.

AutobotJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 10:43 PM   #32
Springer007
Truth-bearer

Fort Smith, Arkansas

I would rather see a lot of Rammstein or the ilk in this film. They have transformer fanboys all the time if anyone checks out youtube and other areas. also, it seems more mechanical than what songs seem to be on this soundtrack. but i can't complain since i am not buying this soundtrack, but it would have been nice to give other top notch bands that, as others have stated, are not nu-metal (please explain that definition, i have only ran into it once and that was back in 2003, and the definition may have changed a bit) or pop. how can there be "pop" in transformers? maybe michael jackson's thriller or something is understandable, but some of this gah. it burns thine eyes!

((edit: i just listened to the mutemath song... it burned my ears! must.. listen to Lion's version of it, so much damned better by hundreds of percentile points!))

Last edited by Springer007; 2007-06-08 at 10:51 PM.
Springer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 11:11 PM   #33
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Springer007
nu-metal (please explain that definition
Technically, crossover stuff -- metal with added DJ or genre elements.

In the sense most people use the term: generic MTV-friendly rock aimed at kids who buy muted off-the-shelf rebellion in the form of band logo hoodies. Generally without much (if any) heavy material, leaning more towards harmonies, with lyrical pretension but frequent swings towards "nobody-understands-me" stuff.

eg, System of a Down started off as new metal and veered off towards nu-metal territory sometime thereafter.

See also: Korn, Coal Chamber, Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach, Mudvayne, Puddle of Mudd, and most of what passed for heavy rock in the late 90s.

(IMO, bearable in small doses.)

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 12:55 AM   #34
dotCommunism
Seeker

I'd much prefer the movie soundtrack to be all crunk or hyphy or some other form of hedonistic rap.

Then again i'm not sure how you'd ghostride a car that's alive.

dotCommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 03:59 AM   #35
Apriorion

The Formitron
Default The REAL mute math theme

brought to my attention by tfw2005: http://myspace.com/mutemath

Not bad at all. No cheezy rapping or roll-call. Pretty decent drumming.

Old 2007-06-09, 04:52 AM   #36
Springer007
Truth-bearer

Fort Smith, Arkansas

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
Technically, crossover stuff -- metal with added DJ or genre elements.

In the sense most people use the term: generic MTV-friendly rock aimed at kids who buy muted off-the-shelf rebellion in the form of band logo hoodies. Generally without much (if any) heavy material, leaning more towards harmonies, with lyrical pretension but frequent swings towards "nobody-understands-me" stuff.

eg, System of a Down started off as new metal and veered off towards nu-metal territory sometime thereafter.

See also: Korn, Coal Chamber, Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach, Mudvayne, Puddle of Mudd, and most of what passed for heavy rock in the late 90s.

(IMO, bearable in small doses.)
alright, our definitions differ. i look as nu-metal as thus: People who claim to know their roots, but instead go for the cultural norm instead of being unique (i.e. Manowar being true to their own works for almost twenty odd years, and a few other bands.). I haven't listened to the new SOD album so I cannot say one way or another. The only two new Korn songs I like are "Alone I Seem To Break" and "Undone". I can't really consider Korn nu-metal because since they came out, they always had an emo vibe. Of course these are my opinions. I do thankyou for the other definition Denyer I copy and pasted the definition for future reference . Anyways, on Mutemath, it seems like they are trying to emulate Greenday (with the monotonous (is that correct spelling?) tone of the voice and the chord play), and a few other bands before that are hard to come to mind, but the sound is old.
I would have much preferred Lion's version of the Transformer theme to be redone even better myself, and maybe included a lot of the older songs (except Weird Al's "Dare to be Stupid", unless the situation applied. Why can I see Bonecrusher skating towards Prime with that song in the background O.o?).

Springer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 02:23 PM   #37
CounterPunch
One with the Matrix

What?

This soundtrack is awful.

I know most of the bands on there and aside from Disturbed and Smashing Pumpkins they range from "meh to oh my god thats bloody awful"

Of all the songs theyve used from Linkin Parks new album I think they could have used a better one to be honest.

Eh I dont mind, I wont be buying it, and I dont usually pay attention to soundtrack songs in films, only ever do when its a score.

CounterPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 02:32 PM   #38
AutobotJazz
Dinobot

Unsure
Default Re: The REAL mute math theme

Quote:
Originally posted by Apriorion
brought to my attention by tfw2005: http://myspace.com/mutemath

Not bad at all. No cheezy rapping or roll-call. Pretty decent drumming.
Thats a hell of a lot better, not fantastic (will never beat the Lion version hahaha) but better than the original link I followed.

I'm thinking I'm going to buy the soundtrack but thats mainly to be a completist and because I'm a Transformers brand-whore.

AutobotJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 08:33 PM   #39
Clogs
has retired, boo-yah!

Leicester, in the Heart of England

So, I listened to the newer link and, guess what, it sucx. It's so sllooooowwww and completely bland; it lacks dynamism. What're we going to watch on screen? Giant robots in slow mo? I think not...

Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 08:45 PM   #40
Apriorion

The Formitron

Quote:
Originally posted by Clogs
What're we going to watch on screen? Giant robots in slow mo? I think not...
So far, that is what we in fact *have* seen (Bonecrusher vs. Prime; Scorponok emerging from the sand). But I guess you mean to refer to the entire movie, not just choice snippets. Well, you should remind yourself that this music will probably not occur throughout the entire movie, as that would be stupid. It will more than likely come up during the final credits. So what's the basis for your complaint?

That said, I don't even understand what you mean by "slow" here. That percusion is pretty seriously intense. Do you want some high-distortion guitar power-chords? Come on.