Chaos Bringer

Glasgow,Scotland

I have to ask Cliffy what is flood posting I dont think im that bad

martyboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 12:56 AM   #22
Aardvark

Wales? O___o
Red face

I believe he was talking about himself -- the governor had a bit too much to drink:

http://tfarchive.com/community/showt...threadid=39563
http://tfarchive.com/community/showt...threadid=39561

Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 03:25 PM   #23
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

i am Bellof, the board is Brundle, holding me back...

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 04:02 PM   #24
Aardvark

Wales? O___o
Smile

On the subject of IDW's poor approach to reprinting the Marvel stuff -- IIRC, the next arc they're reprinting after "Target: 2006" in the Generations series is Time Wars. Anyone else fin that a bit ridiculous -- I mean, I know they can't use any of the Death's Head stories but seriously, without the build up to it, you miss so much back-story and really, it takes a lot away from the arc. :\

Even though I no longer can afford the comics, I still think the main continuity books (I.e. "'Tion" titles, Stormbringer (Well the last issue was a bit rubbish), Spotlights) have been generally been good to excellent -- however, IMO, they've made a right mess of reprints (Nothing in the Dreamwave books informing newcomers that they're not in-continuity, compounded by confusing blurbs - random, often terrible issues of the Marvel series reprinted, the silly Generations faux-Cybertron Redux TPB, that rather baffling Transformers Magazine thing, the escalator that leads to nowhere, etc.)

Meh, I just hope they keep producing good comics (Though, that whole Megatron thing sounds a bit iffy) -- w00t! ~~~~

Last edited by Aardvark; 2007-07-08 at 04:06 PM.
Old 2007-07-08, 08:41 PM   #25
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

"Twainformers", the ointless animated adaptation and BW aside, what I've bothered reading of IDW's own stuff hasn't been bad... however, the reprint series are an absolute car crash - very bad, widely avaliable material (when there's stuff that still hasn't been reprinted since 1985...), dressed up with hip colours, and some ego fellatio for the two Fs.. The whole approach seems to be to just make money with minimal effort (I'd be more for Generations if it included bonus material) - the DW trades appear to simply have switched logos, for example - and it's not doing much but devalue their brand. It's quite idiotic not to wait for their own continuity to be more established before slinging out DW stuff.

Generations should be a mixture of rarer material and decent and/or interesting standalones (not necessarily drawing on Marvel - a 2D, coloured version of the Blackthorne material would be interesting, for one), not a retread of Titan masters... there's really no point in doing sequential issues if they're just going to jump around.

Old 2007-07-08, 09:15 PM   #26
Aardvark

Wales? O___o
Smile

I think the biggest mistake they could make (Well, not in terms of $$$) is reprinting the MTMTE profiles. Ryall has stated numerous times that if they reprint it, they shall remain the same. They're outdated, not exactly thrilling reads to begin with, and furthermore, make reference to a dead, convoluted continuity (Issue 8 would just be ****ing pointless) -- no doubt there won't be an introduction explaining any of this, which will confuse the **** out of newcomers.

I mean, believe it or not, there does seem to be a large group of people experiencing Transformers in comic form for the first time -- not to mention the peeps that don't frequent Transformers message boards or who don't have access to the Internet period. WTH are they meant to make out of this -- like, they're gonna have enough trouble getting to grips with IDW's own continuity, especially those who are unfamiliar with comics in general.

The numbering on the comic would confuse the hell out of 'em -- yeah if you look really close you can see the "actual" number of the issue, but only peeps who are aware of this will notice, which doesn't help in the slightest. And similarly, I'm sure they'd have a swell time figuring out the order of the Spotlights. . .

Last edited by Aardvark; 2007-07-08 at 09:19 PM.
Old 2007-07-09, 03:03 PM   #27
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

If they want to do a profile book, I don't see why they don't redraw and expand TFU... aside from it's curtailment, that thing's still the benchmark...

I've heard the financial rationale for all the different minis (retailers not wanting to commit to another ongoing, #1s = sales), but sooner or later the downside will bite - factoring in the myriad covers, it's probably possible to walk into a shop and find 20 'different' copies of Transformers #1 (and, as I've pointed out, the rather generic banner titles are pretty meaningless to someone without good woprking knowledge of the current comics). Things like this, and the absurdity of having the "master" number hidden in a barcode (why not just do two numbers, like Marvel didwith things like The Avengers?). Sooner or later they're going to have to stop just planning short term and go for it, or they're going to be faced with an ever-dwindling readership... I'd do the cover format as, for, say, Escalation #1: -

Granted, for something 'sideways' like Stormbringer, problems remain (adding "Part 1 of a 4 Part Limited Series" or somesuch would help, though). Maybe it'll settle down a bit once IDW realise the new movie won't launch their comics to global domination?

Continuity-wise I agree they're really muddying the waters... BW was a sound idea, getting the fans on board quickly, but I think they've got too much that doesn't mesh out at the same time - things like HoS were a needless complication, as was making Generations look so much like their current output (I do think a less vague, simpler title would help here - why not Classic Transformers/Transformers Classic? The term's already pretty much accepted as meaning "reprints" in comics).

Old 2007-07-09, 05:18 PM   #28
Aardvark

Wales? O___o
Thumbs up Edit: I just kept typing and typing till the tangents digressed into a white hole

See -- that looks fine, and makes things much more easier to follow . Might be going a bit too far with this, but adding volume #1, #2, etc. would also be nice (Though that might be cluttering it up a bit too much)

Your mock-up wouldn't cost them any money and doesn't detract from the covers -- I mean if an angry, alcoholic Minibot can come up with something like that with ease, I'm fairly certain a bloody comic company should be able to to.

A little checklist of the main continuity titles on the inside cover would be dandy too -- I remember when I was regular on the old IDW message board (Don't even have an account on the new one) before they made the switch, when Denyer was advocating this -- but Ryall seemed really reluctant.

I do like Mr. Ryall -- he's great for spending so much time interacting with the fans, doing Q&A threads, and he does listens -- he [i]is[/] most definitely an excellent PR man, and certainly has a PHD in spinning, he does come across as a cool, down-to-earth guy, regardless of the excruciating letters page.

But I really think his mindset is too immersed in the fandom, specifically the IDW board-- the members of his board do not give a fair representation of his readership -- IMHO, he often seems to give the impression that he thinks his readers are all in the loop in the same way that MB posters are.

It's also unfortunate that most peeps are afraid to voice concerns such as the ones seen in this thread, as they don't want to offend the governor -- this problem is further compounded by the fact that those who are overly critical tend to be trolls.

Hell, I'd sign up myself, but I don't really do the Transformers thing anymore (Still like to discuss things), and really, I never want to post on the IDW boards again -- one of the additions to staff and the fact that the board became cluttered in spam, both sign-up bots and off-topic banter drove away the likes of myself.

I'm also with you on the TFU profiles -- hell I'd rather a straight reprint of 'em than a straight reprint of MTMTE -- regardless what generation Photoshop thinks, I would say that overall, the artwork is of a better quality (They're at least much more clearer and I prefer the simple poses). Moreover, the profiles don't have "From the Databanks of" *Shudder*. Yeah, some of the TFU profiles are a bit dodgy, most notably the horrid, purple, mouth-era Soundwave, but at least the art style would give a good enough indication to newcomers that they're from an older generation.

Edit: Whoa! Mega-post!

Last edited by Aardvark; 2007-07-09 at 05:25 PM.
Old 2007-07-09, 06:57 PM   #29
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Yeah, I'd go for a straightforward Universe reprint as well. The characters are broadly the same as in the IDWverse, but unlike the MTMTE there's nothing story specific in the profiles to confuse things. The only advantage the DW stuff has is that it does more characters.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-09, 07:11 PM   #30
Aardvark

Wales? O___o
Smile

Well a fair bit of the "extra" profiles were rubbish anyway -- Micromaster #57 likes to fight. Micromaster #98 is a pacifist. Strengths: Subject has above average strength - "Subject is really strong" - "Subject is really, really strong."

Weaknesses: "His inability to work with others. . ." - "Has no significant weaknesses" - "Subject is a brash, hotheaded warrior blah, blah, blah."

Though, TBF, there is story-specific stuff in the likes of the Headmaster's profiles such as "Working with Brainstorm, Arcana made Fortress Maximus' vision of the Headmasters a reality."

Last edited by Aardvark; 2007-07-09 at 07:13 PM.
Old 2007-07-09, 07:13 PM   #31
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

The Headmasters weren't in the original trade though were they? Because I'd bet that even if they did reprint it they'd just scan the original four issues rather than doing the latter updates...

Sod it, lets have a A-Z trade. It'd be like a Universe trade, but with a cooler background design.

Old 2007-07-09, 09:03 PM   #32
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

See, way I see it with TFU is they have Bob on staff. Get him to do a quick rewrite (much better than having him breaking somone else's script down into frames, yes?), tweak anything story-specific or (in the case of the TF:TM ones, beef up the more lightweight ones) maybe rewrite any that totally fly in the face of their IDW/established counterparts, and knock up additional profiles for the latter half of the line, perhaps using the tech specs as a base. For artwork, well, there seem to be line-art originals avaliable, so just colour them digitally. Hey presto, definitive G1 profiles series. I mean, that wouldn't cost much, and it'd be something a lot of people would want. Maybe split it in half - as Dalek says, patch up the original mini as TPB #1 with a nice juicy print run, with the second volume aimed more at the fans smaller print run and so on). As said, MTMTE's only real strength was that it covered more characters... While a lot of the artwork (in fact, we're probably talking 99%, to give DW their due) was very good, the lack of a constant pose was a bit of a pain.

And I agree that IDW seem to have far too many yes-men around. I remember Denyer saying about laying out his arguments for some sort of simple timeline, and IIRC IDW didn't have a single good reason not to do so, but just didn't want to do it. I dunno, I think they're kidding themselves a lot... I dunno, I mean that we have to have a roadmap for the series on the site says a fair bit. Can't fault what they're doing story-wise (from what I've read), and from a fan point of view there's no such thing as too many TF series, but from a marketing point of view... I dunno, they seem to have gone for a lot in a very short space of time... Again, say what you like about DW, but initially they paced themselves pretty well - G1, current show, War Within (and that usually ran between G1 series to start off with, didn't it?).

Old 2007-07-10, 02:41 PM   #33
Aardvark

Wales? O___o
Smile

Thinking about it, a collection of the pre-G2 box-art profile pics and their respective tech specs would also make a pretty damn good profile book. I have to say, I absolutely adore their style -- IMO, many of them represent the best renditions of the characters to date. Like the TFU profiles, the fact that they're online wouldn't affect my willingness to purchase them -- but that's just me.

Old 2007-07-10, 04:14 PM   #34
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
For artwork, well, there seem to be line-art originals avaliable, so just colour them digitally.
Now there's the bugger- Now they've published the original animation models (which are near as dammit the same things) would they really want to do another book of essentialy the same material so soon?

As for skiping straight to Time Wars, I really can't see why they can't reprint most of the non-Death's Head Galvatron issues. Only Enemy Action would be slightly confusing for the loss, but that's what that opening recap page is for...

On the more positive side, sales do seem to be consistant so perhaps it's not all that confusing to the layman after all.