• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2007-08-11, 08:19 PM   #21
Clogs
has retired, boo-yah!

Leicester, in the Heart of England

onslaughtforever: Let it go before someone really, really flames you. The tart replies so far should have warned you by now.

I'm witholding the majority of my comments, because I do not normally breathe fire, but I easily could on this subject and that alone should show you how far you've taken it...

I will just say that IMO Gary Chalk is a brilliant voice actor and you are missing a lot of his talent by missing BW. Mr Cullen's OP makes me shiver with the sheer pleasure of hearing him speak (I love Tom Baker's voice and does anyone remember Donny McCloud?). And I am, as I have said elsewhere, holding a candle for Frank Welker as Megatron, but it didn't put me off the movie, or BW, in the least (oohhhh, David Kaye's articulate, smooth, evil MegsII!).

Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-11, 09:33 PM   #22
Ackula
Charnel House

CA

Quote:
Originally posted by onslaughtforever
Besides, they did something they have never done. SHOW WHAT THEY LOOKED LIKE BEFORE THEY CAME TO EARTH.
OK. Here is where I point out your most obvious idiocy by explaining to you that they did in fact show what they looked like before they came to earth... in BEAST WARS!! It showed them about their ship before they ever crashed on earth, and before they ever scanned anything. It also showed the other new characters as they were introduced into the series in their protoform modes...which is what they looked like before they came to earth and scanned anything.

It helps a great deal if you actually know what you are talking about when trying to make arguments. It also helps your credibility if you are not a hypocritical git. You see...you are bashing people for thinking the movie should have been like G1, yet you are bashing Beast Wars for not being like G1

As I'm sure you will not understand my post, I will try to put it in words you may be able to cognitively associate with meaningful things.......

Beats Wars good, Prime cullan voiice not real, gary chalk been real longer amnt of yearS!?

Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-11, 09:33 PM   #23
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Peter Cullen is the only "real" voice of Prime.
Any Prime in particular? The one in the new movie isn't the same character as the 80s show, 80s comics, Convoy, RiD, Armada-thru-Cybertron, etc. Different continuity and timeline.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-11, 09:38 PM   #24
Clogs
has retired, boo-yah!

Leicester, in the Heart of England

see? flames... :\

Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-12, 12:23 AM   #25
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.

People are treading on thin ice here. onslaughtforever, you have a PM. Read it before you post anything else.

This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Sades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-12, 07:35 PM   #26
onslaughtforever

Parts unknown.

Any Prime in particular? The one in the new movie isn't the same character as the 80s show, 80s comics, Convoy, RiD, Armada-thru-Cybertron, etc. Different continuity and timeline.

Prime in the 80's show is the exact same character in the 2007 movie. he has just changed his look.

onslaughtforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-12, 07:51 PM   #27
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY

Quote:
Prime in the 80's show is the exact same character in the 2007 movie. he has just changed his look.
No he's not. The movie is completely seperate entity unto itself. The characters and storyline have nothing to do with any of the previous series except that they're all under the "Transformers" franchise umbrella.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-12, 07:55 PM   #28
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Red face

... you... you genuinely think the new movie is in-continuity with the original cartoon?

Wow.

Just... wow.

You're crazier than "I can say whatever I want, so long as it's a film quote" guy.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-12, 09:14 PM   #29
Ackula
Charnel House

CA

You know, he is not he same character. And to be perfectly honest, his mannerisms and personality in the 2007 movie are really much more closer to Optimus Primal.

Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 05:25 PM   #30
onslaughtforever

Parts unknown.

Well, I went on youtube and watched as many episdodes of Beast Wars as I could. I will say it was not as bad as I thought it was, however, I am still not sold on it. I do not like the idea of Megatron as a dinasour. Yes, Grimlock was a T-REX, but he is classic.

I went back and watched many episodes of the orginal G1 series. The animation was not as good as today's standards but I have to still go with G1. I am not sold on the mid 1990's CG.

2007 Movie, Semi, Optimus Prime, Peter Cullen.
1980's G1 series and 86 movie, semi, Optimus Prime, Peter Cullen.=The 2007 movie is more like the G1 series.

I read an interview with peter cullen and he has gotten credit for creating the personality of Optimus Prime. Michael Bay would ask Cullen if Prime would say this or do that in some scenes. Peter Cullen would add is two cents.

I digress, you guys like Beast Wars, great, then hopefully they make a live action Beats Wars Movie and have Peter Jackson direct it. All they have to do is use his King Kong and Optimus Primal is alive in the flesh.

Old 2007-08-13, 08:48 PM   #31
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
I do not like the idea of Megatron as a dinasour.
You get that it isn't the same Megatron as in any earlier series, right?

I don't like Beast Wars, but the writing (and more specifically, the editing / continuity / keeping stuff consistent) on the original cartoon was generally poor. It isn't as if there weren't high-quality animated features in the 80s, TFs just belongs to a range of shows that owe their existence to the relaxation of laws preventing direct-marketing toys to kids via tie-ins. It was less patronising than MOTU and had some sterling voice-acting... shame about the execution, really.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 08:57 PM   #32
Halfshell

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
I don't like Beast Wars
Tangential question (not meant in a judgemental way, don't worry) - you got round to watching it yet? Or are you still in the "can't say I like it as I haven't got round to sitting through it all yet" camp?

Old 2007-08-13, 11:11 PM   #33
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.
Thumbs up

Early on, I'll admit that BW had "growing pains", to put it nicely. But it gets so much better later on in my opinion. Good on you for having a go at it at the very least, onslaughtforever.

This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Sades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 11:48 PM   #34
chiasaur11
Dinobot

Just had to say:
Takara says the movie is in G1 continuity.
And RID.
Which they say is the same as car robots.
So...

Takara's the one who's REALLY crazy now. Onslaughtforever's just hanging out with a bad crowd.

chiasaur11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 11:59 PM   #35
onslaughtforever

Parts unknown.

BW in of itself seems like an OKAY show. One problem I have is that the Megatron in it is not the same Megatron in G1. Why did they call the leader of the bad guys Megatron if he is a different dude? I do not understand that.

Old 2007-08-14, 12:16 AM   #36
onslaughtforever

Parts unknown.

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
You get that it isn't the same Megatron as in any earlier series, right?

I don't like Beast Wars, but the writing (and more specifically, the editing / continuity / keeping stuff consistent) on the original cartoon was generally poor. It isn't as if there weren't high-quality animated features in the 80s, TFs just belongs to a range of shows that owe their existence to the relaxation of laws preventing direct-marketing toys to kids via tie-ins. It was less patronising than MOTU and had some sterling voice-acting... shame about the execution, really.
Yes the continuity was not as consistent but that is what made the orginal fun. One should not be so serious about this stuff. It is all fun. If someone like BW better, then fine. I like orginal better. I also heard that Optimus Primal was not the same character as Optimus Prime. Is that true and why did they not use another name?

Old 2007-08-14, 07:46 AM   #37
Halfshell

Smile

Same reason the current Pope is called Benedict XVI despite it not being his name.

He took the name to honour the previous incumbent.

Old 2007-08-14, 10:07 AM   #38
verytired
Vegan, and...

Leicester

Quote:
BW in of itself seems like an OKAY show. One problem I have is that the Megatron in it is not the same Megatron in G1. Why did they call the leader of the bad guys Megatron if he is a different dude? I do not understand that.
In the show Megatron (BW) says that he took the name from the Covenant of Primus, a Transformer equivalent (rip off) of the Book of Revelations. This might mean that Megatron (G1) either took the name himself in the same manner, or was considered so bad that he was added to the book, or (my own theory) he edited the two last copies of the book, inserting himself and making him seem more bad ass than he was.

Or, Takara / Hasbro released the toys with the names, and Mainframe did something a little different with what they got.

verytired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 05:47 PM   #39
onslaughtforever

Parts unknown.

I see. So basicly the BW Megatron ripped off the orginal Megatron. I never liked the idea of the popes using other names. I say they should use their own name because then their name will become as famous as the names they would have used. Not like I care anyway. I'm not catholic.

Old 2007-08-14, 05:50 PM   #40
onslaughtforever

Parts unknown.

I forgot to add. The BW transformer that took the name Megatron is like a new wrestler using the name Hulk Hogan and saying he is using the name to honor the orginal Hogan. There is only one Hogan, or Flair, or Pipper.