• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > General Discussion

Old 2007-08-30, 02:49 PM   #21
angloconvoy
Big Metal Person

Ichihara, Japan

Who I'm with isn't really so relevant, every private school is much of a much (except NOVA, they really abuse their staff). Public schools are a sweet deal, but you don't really need the TEFL or the experience. Japan doesn't have a great deal of concept of effective language teaching yet on the whole, in many public schools the native english speakers aren't allowed to disagree with the japanese english teacher (many of whom have an appalling level of spoken english).

Incidentally, someone from my CELTA course went to russia, and he had a great time. He said his company was good with him too.

angloconvoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-30, 02:53 PM   #22
*BARRAGE*
wait... he's still alive?

funny haha or funny- they're coming to take me away in a white coat sort of way (the kind with buckles in the back...)

now if i could speak anything other than english, bad english, and engrish... i'd be set...

HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD
*BARRAGE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-30, 02:58 PM   #23
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Xstarscreamx
funny haha or funny- they're coming to take me away in a white coat sort of way (the kind with buckles in the back...)
Well, I'm definately HaHa funny. Yourself on the other hand...

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-30, 03:03 PM   #24
*BARRAGE*
wait... he's still alive?

i'm funny- ish...

HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD
*BARRAGE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-30, 04:47 PM   #25
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

Quote:
yes scourge.. i kept the prime (i have been attempting to buy one for some time... screw that) and i had not thought of the shyster bit till you mentioned it...
Never underestimate some women's ability to pour on the charm when you've got something they want.

One girl I kept asking out kept giving me excuses, like "I have to study," etc, so I finally got a clue, but right when I realized that, she asked me to do a favor, and when I said I'd help, she was like "Oh, btw, we still haven't gone out yet." She pretty much pulled the same thing on me, all over again. I don't talk to her, anymore.

Glad you kept the Prime.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-30, 06:24 PM   #26
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

I had a geek girlfriend once. She used to buy me Car Brothers repaints for my birthday and we'd play Warcraft III most nights until I won and she cried.

It's because she only used Huntresses, you see. You can't just use huntresses. They are crap against magic.

Look on the bright side, xstarscreamx, at least you didn't have to sit through untold hours of Naruto with her.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-30, 10:06 PM   #27
Clogs
has retired, boo-yah!

Leicester, in the Heart of England

I watch kiddy cartoons, love TFs, adore Lord of the Rings, am avid about R E Howard and PTerry... I went and married someone who builds model kits, reads thrillers, likes crime dramas and hates everything he considers geeky ie my hobbies. He might have hoped to change me, but it's never worked, except I can now cook without causing a fire or widespead poisoning.

Um. Maybe some of the girls feel like the boys, really...

Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-30, 11:17 PM   #28
Sociopathic Autobot
I'm ****ing Matt Damon

I'm ****ing Ben Affleck

Quote:
and to Sociopathic Autobot: what would you suggest i alter in my strategy? or would like to post yet another humorous pic?
I'd suggest you spend less time looking for help on the internet. All women are different and I doubt the ones on here know why the women in your area who you deem "good" don't want you.

SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Sociopathic Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 04:21 AM   #29
Titus Andronicus
Drunkard philosopher

Australia

I will admit to some seriously deep-seated problems but...
My flee-the-country plan was only partially about the women (aside from 'all the good ones are taken', which is just me being overly picky, I do all right, it's just I have a penchant for 'exotic' women and they're easier to find in, say, India or Japan, for example, than in Australia) and the video games, toys, crazy stuff in general etc. I like the attention of being 'the foreigner' and love traveling. 'Sides, there's not much call for ESL in Perth, Australia, and I really want to get out of this backwater town. Want to see the world + good with English = be an ESL teacher.

In my experience EFL experience can be gotten by offering to tutor international college students or volunteering at migrant English classes. Hosting exchange students is also good, but as the expert notes it's not really necessary.

Come see the Titus Files

Their defences are broken, let the slaughter begin!
Titus Andronicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 12:07 PM   #30
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Sociopathic Autobot
I'd suggest you spend less time looking for help on the internet. All women are different and I doubt the ones on here know why the women in your area who you deem "good" don't want you.
Winner.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 04:57 PM   #31
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Titus Andronicus
I like the attention of being 'the foreigner' and love traveling.
You should come to the states. There are tons of American girls, who are obsessed with Australians.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 09:30 AM   #32
Titus Andronicus
Drunkard philosopher

Australia

Hey, and Americans are (comparatively) rich too... (we actually have a lot of American exchange students at my uni, they're usually fun to hang out with).
Doesn't really address the whole limited ESL job opportunities thing though. Think Japan's still number one...

Come see the Titus Files

Old 2007-09-01, 10:32 AM   #33
angloconvoy
Big Metal Person

Ichihara, Japan

Quote:
I have a penchant for 'exotic' women
"Exotic" meaning? Is that a bit racist?

Quote:
I like the attention of being 'the foreigner' and love traveling.
It wears thin fast, does that. Some days you realy don't want people staring at you for being different, or avoiding you, or just plain being rude. Sure, the flipside is some girls think its cool to have a "gaijin" boyfriend, but do you really want to be with someone just because its a bit of a status symbol for them? Sure, you could take advantage, but that's just being a dick.

Its not so bad in Tokyo, what with there being more foreigners, and the degree does differ depending on where you live.

Also, if you don't speak Japanese, even everyday tasks can be a real chore.

Don't get me wrong, I love it here and don't have any plans to leave, but to actually move to another country with a completely alien culture isn't something you should jump into without thinking through carefully first. Sounds like you've got some good reasons though, and if anyone else feels the same you should definitely research it more carefully. I'm always happy to answer any questions too (which is why I'm well suited to teaching).

angloconvoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 12:48 PM   #34
Titus Andronicus
Drunkard philosopher

Australia

Quote:
Originally posted by angloconvoy
"Exotic" meaning? Is that a bit racist?
Exotic meaning 'different from me' (white, middle-class, heterosexual, male, "the unmarked signifier" etc etc), though there are more specifics within that that I can't be bothered going into. And of course it's racist, same as any other distinction made even partially on the basis of race/ethnicity is by definition going to be racist, but since we're discussing personal aesthetic/sexual preferences I don't think it's really that much of a big deal. I've considered this same point at length and after much soul-searching am quite comfortable with it, and since no-one's being hurt and/or disadvantaged I don't really feel the need to apologise for a sexual preference I don't have a lot of control over.
'Sides, this isn't Carbomya you know...

Quote:
Originally posted by angloconvoy
It wears thin fast, does that. Some days you realy don't want people staring at you for being different, or avoiding you, or just plain being rude. Sure, the flipside is some girls think its cool to have a "gaijin" boyfriend, but do you really want to be with someone just because its a bit of a status symbol for them? Sure, you could take advantage, but that's just being a dick.

Its not so bad in Tokyo, what with there being more foreigners, and the degree does differ depending on where you live.

Also, if you don't speak Japanese, even everyday tasks can be a real chore.

Don't get me wrong, I love it here and don't have any plans to leave, but to actually move to another country with a completely alien culture isn't something you should jump into without thinking through carefully first. Sounds like you've got some good reasons though, and if anyone else feels the same you should definitely research it more carefully. I'm always happy to answer any questions too (which is why I'm well suited to teaching).
I usually get a lot of attention anyway, it's kinda nice to get it for actually being 'different' instead of for being, well, merely 'eccentric'. Brazil was great fun for that, nothing like looking like Jesus (aside from being blonde and blue-eyed etc) in a heavily Catholic country. It was only for a month or so, but as someone who doesn't 'fit in' anyway I found it better to stand out because of being 'exotic' myself.

I can live with being a status symbol (hell, they can stamp "Prada" on my butt for all I care), though I'd like to think the whole 'personality' thing might be a factor there as well. My artistic tastes can be a little ...confronting... so I don't know how long a 'prestige' relationship would realistically survive (on that topic, I heard there was a Fantomas album that only got released in Japan, would you know anything about that? Ta).

I've been researching/thinking about this one for about ten years now, though I do have to get to work on learning Japanese before I take off (which given I'm living on about 80% of the poverty line here and have recently spent most of my airfare funds on an emergency replacement computer isn't likely to be for a while ). That said, if you're another like-minded teacher type who's actually there now I'm sure I'll pick your brains on multiple occasions before leaving myself, many thanks in advance for any and all help you can provide.

Come see the Titus Files

Old 2007-09-01, 01:02 PM   #35
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Talking

Quote:
Exotic meaning 'different from me' (white, middle-class, heterosexual, male, "the unmarked signifier" etc etc)

Ohhhhhh, I know this orange sewer-class bi-curious three nippled midget that'll be right up your alley. Quite literally in fact.

Old 2007-09-01, 01:46 PM   #36
Titus Andronicus
Drunkard philosopher

Australia

Midgets rock!

Was she that one in Total Recall?

Come see the Titus Files

Old 2007-09-01, 01:50 PM   #37
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Cool

Quote:
Midgets rock!

Was she that one in Total Recall?
Her beaten with the ugly stick sister.

Old 2007-09-01, 02:35 PM   #38
Titus Andronicus
Drunkard philosopher

Australia

In that case sorry, she could never live up to the dream...

Come see the Titus Files

Old 2007-09-01, 02:37 PM   #39
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
In that case sorry, she could never live up to the dream...
That's no way to talk about my Mother.

BOOM BOOM!

Old 2007-09-01, 02:39 PM   #40
Titus Andronicus
Drunkard philosopher

Australia
Default Correction...

Your mother and your aunt...

Come see the Titus Files