• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2007-10-05, 02:41 PM   #41
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Oh, and didn't the Mick Gestalt claim everything posted by Matt Moylan was complete bollocks, including the timeline?

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 03:02 PM   #42
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
I assume"many" in that case just means that Ishin Okeydokey guy? Did anyone ever track him down to find out what he thought of the death of Dreamwave?
I'm fairly certain that more than one person bought Dreamwave's titles, even before they ever tackled the Transformers license.

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 03:04 PM   #43
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Wink

Ah, but how many defended them as "Manga, people, youdon't understand it bitches".

Old 2007-10-05, 03:45 PM   #44
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozz
DaRonin
=D He really was the most stereotypical otaku imaginable, wasn't he?

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 04:53 PM   #45
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
Very old ezBoard DW forum still online:
http://p201.ezboard.com/fdreamwave99389frm23
Wow. Mighty Maximal didn't change a bit in those years.

Okay, admittedly, he's writing less like Deathy these days, but he's still a tard.

Quote:
Feb 2003, Wizard talk inaccurately as usual:
http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=1051
Wasn't DW G1 vol. 2 originally supposed to be written by Sarracini? Didn't issue 1 have slightly different solicited cover artwork than what was ultimately released? Any chance this was the original plan for vol. 2?

Last edited by Nevermore; 2007-10-05 at 04:59 PM.
Old 2007-10-05, 05:06 PM   #46
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevermore
Wasn't DW G1 vol. 2 originally supposed to be written by Sarracini? Didn't issue 1 have slightly different solicited cover artwork than what was ultimately released? Any chance this was the original plan for vol. 2?
The covers were definitely rejigged... funny enough I somehow landed at a thread here mocking the originals just yesterday. The original had most of the same renderings as the used version - but in a canyon, and featuring some extra characters.

For Chris, his name was on the early advert and, of course, he wrote the preview that showed up in the Prime Directive trade.

A few relevant files here - http://counter-x.net/tfdb/comic/guid...poc/index.html

Old 2007-10-05, 05:19 PM   #47
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Featuring at least one respected mod ardently defending the thing
"Respected"?!!

That's ridiculous! You know perfectly well that none of the staff here is respectable. Except me, because I will ban you...

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 05:29 PM   #48
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Wasn't DW G1 vol. 2 originally supposed to be written by Sarracini?
Before the panning of V1 really took off, I think so. If nothing else, it emphasises that print magazines can't really keep information up-to-date (though DW bouncing all over the place certainly didn't help them...)

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 05:44 PM   #49
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

It might be my memory playing tricks, but IIRC general reaction only really turned against DW midway through Vol. 2 (especially as Lee's art really began to grow sloppy)... I do seem to remember a lot of reviews of Vol. 1 done in the same year were positive. I mean, there were a handful of us here unimpressed from the start, and I guess the situation would have been the same everywhere else, but overall reaction was pretty good. A lot of people tend to disown stuff they said at the time since, what with the whole Pat Lee = Hitler thing...

'Round about the middle of Vol. 2, a lot of people changed sides...

Old 2007-10-05, 06:10 PM   #50
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Pretty sure there was something related at the time that was the reason McMick got assigned. Could've been more internal fallings-out than feedback, but there was criticism of the ending.

Old 2007-10-05, 07:07 PM   #51
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Could've been more internal fallings-out than feedback
That's more my recollection of the mutterings clanking around - especially as Chris was unceremoniously shoved off Armada around the same time.

TBH, writers have taken bigger kickings than Chris ever did and remained on top-selling books. Can you really see DW removing someone due to criticism of their work when that work had given them big sales?

Old 2007-10-05, 07:46 PM   #52
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Full article on McDonough

Thanks for some of the links, Stu.

And spinning out of that, Adam Patyk.

Last edited by Nevermore; 2007-10-05 at 08:06 PM.
Old 2007-10-05, 07:51 PM   #53
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Quote:

No mention of the gestalt's claim that IDW are robbing the fans by not basing their new central series on their own convoluted, sales-killing storyline? Or about them sharing a chair to post on the internet? Or their recent promotion at McDonalds?

Old 2007-10-05, 08:09 PM   #54
secretcode
щ(゚Д゚щ)

Quote:
No mention of the gestalt's claim that IDW are robbing the fans by not basing their new central series on their own convoluted, sales-killing storyline? Or about them sharing a chair to post on the internet? Or their recent promotion at McDonalds?
Indeed.

Back on the subject though, I kinda dislike TFwiki because of too much humor. Not everything has to have a joke. But compared to the main Wiki, it has more insignificant data that is more geared toward the fanbase.

-Jared

Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
secretcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 08:20 PM   #55
DrSpengler
Primus

Quote:
Originally posted by Maju Garzett
But compared to the main Wiki, it has more insignificant data that is more geared toward the fanbase.

-Jared
"Insignificant data" is right. We even include fiction sections for events from toy commercials and pack-in comic strips. I recently got in an arguement with some unknown IP address who thought the information about the Scramble City Toys OVA should be removed because it was too obscure.

Nothing is too obscure for the Teletraan-1 wiki, which is one of the things I like best about it. I find all the nook and cranny trivia to be the most fun.

DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 08:36 PM   #56
secretcode
щ(゚Д゚щ)

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpengler
Nothing is too obscure for the Teletraan-1 wiki, which is one of the things I like best about it. I find all the nook and cranny trivia to be the most fun.
And that is why I continue to go there despite the over-use of humor. It's stuff like that, that really helps people gain more understanding over a certain subject. Even the smallest details help out.

Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
secretcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 08:51 PM   #57
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
That's more my recollection of the mutterings clanking around - especially as Chris was unceremoniously shoved off Armada around the same time.

TBH, writers have taken bigger kickings than Chris ever did and remained on top-selling books. Can you really see DW removing someone due to criticism of their work when that work had given them big sales?
Of course, if it was a falling out, what on Earth persuaded him to sign back up just as everyone else was jumping ship?

Old 2007-10-05, 09:46 PM   #58
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Oh, and didn't the Mick Gestalt claim everything posted by Matt Moylan was complete bollocks, including the timeline?
Mmm, but it's word-against-word. Plus it's possible there were several irons in the fire as far as overall direction went anyway... and the tying together of BW and G1 makes sense, with the coda to MTMTE #8.

Quote:
if it was a falling out, what on Earth persuaded him to sign back up just as everyone else was jumping ship?
If he got ditched as a result of McDonough's internal influence, being promised the stars by Lee after McDonough was ousted would probably do it.

Quote:

Nifty. No worries, stuff I dug up ages ago for Steve Bax when he was on about writing a timeline of DW operations.

Might do one myself one day... nothing indicts the company like simply reporting the facts...

Old 2007-10-05, 09:53 PM   #59
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Quote:
The covers were definitely rejigged... funny enough I somehow landed at a thread here mocking the originals just yesterday. The original had most of the same renderings as the used version - but in a canyon, and featuring some extra characters.
Hmm, almost. Dug out the old files from my hard drive and did some comparisons:

The "canyon" is still there, just some color alterations to make it look more like a winter landscape. And the "extra characters" were added for the final versions, not removed.

Note, however, that the canyon background for the early versions directly synchs up, while the added stuff for the final versions require that exclusive Shockwave cover thing as a middle piece.
EDIT: Or does it? Looks like it works either way.

Quote:
It might be my memory playing tricks, but IIRC general reaction only really turned against DW midway through Vol. 2 (especially as Lee's art really began to grow sloppy)...
I'd say the first sign of Pat Lee Really Sucks Syndrome were the covers for vol. 2. I mean, I remember you saying that Lee was okay for covers back in the day, and I agree that most of the early covers do look halfway decent (although there's the occasional oddity such as Prime's giraffe neck on the Autobot cover for G1 vol. 1 #1). But compare Bluestreak from the interior of vol. 2 #1 to the cover of G1 vol. 2 #2. Seriously, WTF?

Also, the covers to #1 linked above. I mean, seriously? Bumblebee with those GIANT feet? Bizarre titty Prime? Megatron's mini-gun of doom? Bombshell about to shoot Shrapnel?

Last edited by Nevermore; 2007-10-05 at 10:04 PM.
Old 2007-10-05, 10:08 PM   #60
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Yeh, Pat's art really does go go down the pan... re-reading Vol. 1 recently, with the exception of the notorious Prime character model (I mean, if there was one G1 TF whose character model you don't need to mess with) a lot of it's passable poster art - just lacking in dyanmics, motion and clarity (i.e. useless for telling a story)... by Vol. 2 it doesn't even have that, everything goes round and inflated (though, in very slight mitigation, the inks and colours on Vol. 2 are a big drop from Vol. 1). I still think using the toys as a rough starting point for character models was a damn fine move (Prowl, Hound, Bluestreak, Trailbreaker & co have never looked better than they did in G1 V1... the first series Autobot cars especially suffered with the Marvel models loping off so many of the details that make the toys so great), it's just the exceptions (Prime, Megatron) got the biggest exposure, and then the quality dropped off...

Original topic on the first (desert, I suppose) set of covers: -
http://tfarchive.com/community/showt...threadid=13053
Notable mainly for Bombshell's troubles with the laws of physics, and then changing his mind about how good they were when it became clear no-one was siding with him. Heh. I am such a bitch...

Quote:
The "canyon" is still there, just some color alterations to make it look more like a winter landscape. And the "extra characters" were added for the final versions, not removed.
Yay for my dodgy memory :s In fairness, I didn't really want to look at them again...