• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2007-10-20, 01:17 PM   #21
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Hmmm. I hope this sudden epiphany on how to do fembots hasn't forced a better character out of getting a spotlight...

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 03:28 PM   #22
Aardvark

Wales? O___o
Smile

Right, I'm still pretty hungover and groggy, so this may be a little incoherent.

Well, I'm a bit disappointed with this news, but I understand that it could be great. Nothing to do with the whole Fembot thing really, more that I just don't don't get why people like Arcee as a character.

She was so bland and never did anything remotely interesting in the cartoon or the comics. Never liked the look -- a Barbiebot with a Star Wars haircut. There are so many characters out there that not only had toys, but interesting tech specs that were never explored -- most of which don't cause ridiculous debates in the same vein as 'Should there be "female" Transformers?'

So we've got a radically retooled character, in terms of appearance and personality. Great. So why use a controversial (Not the best way of phrasing it, but y'get me), character Arcee? Well, I suppose one of the reasons is that she is "controversial".

Quote:
Do you honestly think I�d miss an opportunity to try and explain away what I always felt was one of the most difficult concepts to wrap your head around in relation to Transformers, ie. gender? No way. Expect an IDW-verse answer here. It�s provocative to say the least.
Does this kind of stuff really need to be answered? Is it possible that explaining the "female robots" will enrich the IDW-verse? Yeah sure, why not. But really, instead of spending time explaining this, Simon could give more time on the story, character development, etc. It just seems like a needless complication and as I said, I feel that there are more deserving Transformers.

But that's just me -- and I really hope it'll be good. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Aardvark; 2007-10-20 at 03:38 PM.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 03:31 PM   #23
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Halfshell
no third-person gender-specific impersonal pronouns!
Yeah, grammar isn't popular any more...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/04...k_xp_security/
Quote:
--All right, I'm only going to say this once: 'He' is the singular indefinite pronoun in English ("if a person drinks too much, he will likely experience a hangover"). 'He' also happens to be the masculine personal pronoun.

'She' is the singular pronoun of personification in English ("if England fails to advance America's foreign-policy ambitions, she will suffer terrible consequences"). 'She' also happens to be the feminine personal pronoun.

Confusing the two exhibits not a warm-and-fuzzy concern for the inclusion of women so much as a writer's or speaker's ignorance. Using the feminine personal pronoun as an indefinite article is as moronic as using the masculine personal pronoun for personification. Thus the captain greets us: "Welcome to my ship. Isn't he splendid?"

Give it up, people. It's not thoughtful; it's just illiterate.
TFs don't require personification -- they already have personalities, walk, talk, are sentient, etc.

English traditionally uses "it" in dialogue when seeking to remove humanising qualities.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 03:39 PM   #24
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

I do like the "Jhiaxus made her as a pisstake" idea. Though the Fembots as a product of evil could be veering close to what Dreamwave was doing with them...

Old 2007-10-20, 04:16 PM   #25
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
She was so bland and never did anything remotely interesting in the cartoon or the comics.
This is why I'm interested. He (awesome link, Mr D) may actually get some characterisation beyond "pink and useless". I don't think anybody can honestly say they like it as a character, being as he never had one.

The reinvention point doesn't really work... you can't reinvent something that wasn't there to start with. And besides, the entire series is about reinvention.

Though I'm more concerned about the story. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the issue would advance the plot in the same way regardless of who the central characer was... the fact that it's addressing the engendered notion and also might give a cipher some actual characterisation is just a bonus in my eyes.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 04:37 PM   #26
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

How many other deserving characters are there that'll cause a bit of fuss and attention and grab a few sales? This Spotlight will ensure IDW's comic becomes discussed much more than it generally has been, and also bring in all those girls who write fanfic about Femmebots who are basically existing Transformers but with tits and a slightly gothic name (Starshadow, Venusrazor, etc.), and all the FallenOne types who haven't had anything really good to bash the bishop about since that The Biz chap put his crayons away. It's a cunning stunt from a bunch of

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 05:24 PM   #27
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Quote:
no plans currently for the other fembots. Not quite sure how I can explain away their presence in Megatron Origin but Ill work on it. Youll see why its tricky once you read Spotlight Arcee.
Positive cat is positive.

Old 2007-10-20, 05:25 PM   #28
Aardvark

Wales? O___o
Smile

@Cliffjumper:
Despite making a similar point to yours, I wouldn't say it was the deciding factor or anything.

Quote:
This is why I'm interested. He (awesome link, Mr D) may actually get some characterisation beyond "pink and useless".
Oh, I'd much rather characters like that than characters such as Grimlock, Galvatron, etc. It's just that out of all the pointless characters eligible for a Spotlight, I'm disappointed that IDW picked Arcee. As I said, I think there are better and more deserving characters.

Quote:
Though I'm more concerned about the story. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the issue would advance the plot in the same way regardless of who the central characer was...
Probably, but I have some minor reservations about the story anyway, concerning the Dead Universe stuff -- but I won't get into that now. Having said that, the Spotlights have generally been good or excellent with one or two exceptions. Whatever I think of the character, a well written comic is a well written comic.

Quote:
the fact that it's addressing the engendered notion and also might give a cipher some actual characterisation is just a bonus in my eyes.
I can understand this, but for me I just don't really care (Well for now. Furman may end up making me care). I feel the same way about stuff like who or what created the Transformers. As I said I'm only mildly disappointed about the choice of character -- and to be honest, despite being my favourite line of IDW-verse comics, nearly every time I've read who the next Spotlight character is I've felt a little "meh" about it. But that's strictly a personal thing, as even though I understand the commercial rationale, it doesn't stop me from wanting to see more obscure characters. I just don't go for the famous guys.

Nevertheless, it could turn out to be Furman's best comic yet.

Last edited by Aardvark; 2007-10-20 at 05:30 PM.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 10:27 PM   #29
Halfshell

Smile

Yeah, it's one of those things that could be either absolute genius or fall flat on its face.

Which means it'll probably be decidedly mediocre, but dems da breakz.

My rough guess is that "she"'s a Jhiaxus experiment tailored after he observed feminine traits on other planets... "she" finds out he's also been mucking about with Bristleback, etc... and decides to go all REVENGEY on whoever's nearby.

Old 2007-10-20, 10:31 PM   #30
Springer007
Truth-bearer

Fort Smith, Arkansas

with all these comments on more deserving characters to be used, I wouldn't mind seeing a totality spotlight on the Predacons, or an origin of them. I always wondered how they became one of the more powerful teams of combiners, even in their combined form of Predaking (who was grossly powerful and unified perfectly by instincts alone by all six members comprising him).

Springer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 10:45 PM   #31
Halfshell

Smile

The Predacons aren't combiners in the IDWverse yet.

The only gestalt so far is Monstructor. I think that combiners are due to show up in the arc after Devastation (entitled Revelation). The Predacons, Terrorcons and Technobots have all appeared already and seem to operate as a group...

SPOILER! (select to read)
and seeing as Monstructor is in the hands of Jetfire, whose science team includes the Technobots, I think we can hazard a guess as to who's going to be introduced first.

Old 2007-10-21, 04:19 AM   #32
Springer007
Truth-bearer

Fort Smith, Arkansas

That's awesome, so it is a possibility then. Thanks for the info !

Springer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 07:38 PM   #33
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
The Predacons aren't combiners in the IDWverse yet.

The only gestalt so far is Monstructor. I think that combiners are due to show up in the arc after Devastation (entitled Revelation). The Predacons, Terrorcons and Technobots have all appeared already and seem to operate as a group...
We've also had Stunticons and Constructicons in the Origin comic I(I know, I know, we're all hoopinh it's uncanon. Just for reference...). Though to be honest every other combiner and Lord Lucan could be in there as well and it'd be hard to tell.

Old 2007-10-25, 10:28 AM   #34
Halfshell

Quote:
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Hmmm, I wonder if the girls in Origin were deliberate foreshadowing or if it's a case of Furman seeing that and going "Oh ****, we'd better do something to explain Fembots then..."
Well, the official Furman word is...

Quote:
Lets make it clear, no one (least of all me) is saying Megatron: Origin is outside continuity. Its new IDW/TF-verse canon. But the presence of the, um, fembots is problematic and something I didnt realise was going to be in there. Not sure if Eric stipulated they were in there or Alex dropped them in. But then again, they didnt know I had my own plans in motion. I think the best way to look at things is that theyre there/exsist, but not necessarily as fembots at that particular moment in time (appearances aside).
Sounds honest.

Old 2007-10-25, 11:04 AM   #35
snavej
Poisoned by modern life

London, U.K.

The Decepticons may have tried to wipe out the fembots, if those fembots are seen as weak or degenerate - too much like the 'pathetic fleshlings'. Also, the Decepticons would probably see it as great fun to torment and exterminate such 'weaklings', much as evil humans do on Earth. Arcee, on the other hand, is probably tough enough to survive (or at least lucky to have sufficient protection from the other Autobots).

snavej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 11:07 AM   #36
Halfshell

Or we could just say they're robots who happen to have physical traits that we're conditioned to regard as feminine.

Old 2007-10-25, 02:58 PM   #37
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Milne and the art editor(s) have cocked things up a bit, haven't they?

Old 2007-10-25, 03:06 PM   #38
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Nonsense! The meat of Transformers is in the unwitting conflicts between the authors. Like Skywarp swapping colours with Thundercracker, it is good to see this autumn tradition continued with IDW.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 03:09 PM   #39
Halfshell

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Terome
Nonsense! The meat of Transformers is in the unwitting conflicts between the authors. Like Skywarp swapping colours with Thundercracker, it is good to see this autumn tradition continued with IDW.
When was Thundercracker black? Or purple for that matter?

My favourite art gaff is still the random creation of a brand new character model in the Avengers preview art...

Old 2007-10-25, 03:23 PM   #40
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

EDIT: Skywarp was all blue and pretty for an issue of Escalation.

EDIT 2: Thundercracker was cool with it.

I nominate Not-Thundercracker as the IDW version of Krunix!

Last edited by Terome; 2007-10-25 at 03:37 PM.
Terome is offline   Reply With Quote