Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > General Discussion

Old 2007-11-20, 09:18 PM   #21
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Davison managed to be fairly subtle in Dimensions... besides which, pointing out that returning Doctors have always been wankers hardly excuses the latest appearance following the model...
Davison was 14 years younger in Dimensions, a lot easier to channel youth when you're only 42 as opposed to 56. And I said charicatured, not wankers. Throughton's return appearences were completely lacking in the slightly machavallian side and any sort of subtlety but he was still bloody good in them.

Quote:
TBH, it's hard to fault the team for doing a special episode for a charity
Despite enjoying the special CIN didn't get any money off me I'm afraid, and won't until they realise that News Readers dressing up and singing show tunes every year lost its amusement value just after Morcomb and Wise did it. Actually, did the product placement this year strike anyone as much worse as usual? I know everyone usually has something to plug, but I don't recall it being so heavy handed before as Terry's forced "So, do you have a tour/album coming up?" every single time.

Quote:
Do something that's meant to be pants, like Dimensions, and leave it to the fans to work out the details.
I don't think Dimensions was meant to be pants though was it? It just turned out that way. They did something more silly with the concert last year, but considering they're all fully aware of DIT's reputation I can't see the production team ever daring to do a comedy skit again.

Quote:
Davison's second only to McCoy in my affections too, but it doesn't really excuse the thing from being bad. It's pretty sad that the first time the guy didn't put in an excellent performance was for that one - it wouldn't surprise me if Davison was just embarrassed by the script. I mean, you would be, wouldn't you?
I don't know if it's because I'm more used to how he is now from the audio's, but I still thought he was very good in it. He played the comedy straight (he's the best thing to happen to Love and Monsters) and played the farewell with just the right hint of sadness.

Quote:
EDIT: And OPG are sheep who'll gobble down whatever garbage is shovelled into their trough. Fan opinion seems to be inverse to what it was in the 1980s - now everything current is lauded, and only later do people go back and say "Hang on..." (cf. the amount of people worshipping at Cakebastard's Northern feet on transmission who keep quiet about that whole fiasco now).
You really need to get the new Completely Useless... book. that's near enough the exact same point they make in the introduction (though they add "We're sticking to the old way as it allows more piss taking").

And as for how people who don't know anything about old Who took it- I watched it with two who like the new show a lot but don't know Nyssa from a Nissan (one on seeing the new DWM cover even asked me if "That vet bloke is the new Doctor Who then?") and they not only enjoyed it but Wig even got a bit misty eyed at the end...

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 12:46 PM   #22
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

I ummed and arred about starting a seperate thread on this as her carea went far beyond Who, but it probably fits best here:

Verity Lambert- the shows original producer and one of the two or three people who probably deserves a "Created by" credit on it has died aged 71. As well as running and overseeing the program for its first three years her biggest contributions include the casting of William Hartnell and lobbying for the making of The Daleks against the "No bug eyed Monsters" rule the show was originally supposed to follow. She was also the first female producer employed by the BBC and worked on all sorts of stuff afterward including Adam Addamant Lives! and Jonathan Creek (but lets draw a shroud over Elderado).

Old 2007-11-23, 05:24 PM   #23
Jetfire
Danny Cipriani > You

Hard traveling hero.

Amazing for not only being one of the few who can receave a creit for creating the show and character but prehaps she is the most important person in regard of it becomming a success.

Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 07:58 PM   #24
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

And of the show's producers (only three still alive now from the original run) she enjoyed the most success outside of it- On the BFI's Top 100 British TV Shows she got two into the top five (Who and The Naked Civil Servant). Apparently she was still working in TV at the time of her death as well, which at 71 isn't bad going.

Old 2007-11-24, 01:54 AM   #25
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

She had a good run. We'll miss you, Verity. Thanks for everything.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 11:49 AM   #26
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

I find it difficult to mourn for someone at least partially responsible for The Sensorites, Planet of Giants, The Rescue, The Web Planet and The Space Museum, not to mention the ITV Quatermass.

Nah, I'm just kidding. Nice one, love.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 03:16 PM   #27
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Exclamation

I like The Rescue.

Watching Runaway Bride today Tate came over much better, I suspect as a result of Martha being so bland in comparison...

Old 2007-11-25, 06:49 PM   #28
Jetfire
Danny Cipriani > You

Hard traveling hero.

I saw a film on BBC2 (possible C4) some night ago called 'Scenes of a sexual nature. It was essentially couples and ex-couples of all ages and backgrounds chatting in Hampstead heath. Good film by the way.

It has Ewen McGreggor and on topic Catherine Tate in it. Tate stunned me simeply because she was good. Acted like a perfectly normal human being, projecting a character with the full scale of realistic emotions and no traces of her comedy characters or the **** RTD wrote for her.

Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 08:50 PM   #29
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

The beeb have had to put out a press statement about a returning character at the end of next year after lots of photos being taken of them on location. So anyone trying to avoid long term spoilers should avoid the papers for the next couple of days...

SPOILER! (select to read)
Billie is returning as Rose for at least three episodes. My first thought was that a Rutan would impersonate her in the Sontaran two parter, but I can't see them doing that for three weeks. John Barrowman has already let slip that Jack is going to be in season 4 as well which means we only need Sarah Jane to make those "Everyone teams up to fight Davros" Sun stories true...

Old 2007-11-27, 09:52 PM   #30
takara_destron

Wales, UK

Don't know how new this news is, but a photo of the new Sontaran(s) is out

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ntaran2008.jpg

Interesting....doesn't really look that different, but I am sort of missing the black suit.

Recent Aquistions: Movie Voyager Autobot Ratchet, BW Transmetal II Megatron
takara_destron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 10:45 PM   #31
Transfannabeel
Matrix Keeper

in the corner losing my religion

Quote:
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
The beeb have had to put out a press statement about a returning character at the end of next year after lots of photos being taken of them on location. So anyone trying to avoid long term spoilers should avoid the papers for the next couple of days...

Billie is returning as Rose for at least three episodes. My first thought was that a Rutan would impersonate her in the Sontaran two parter, but I can't see them doing that for three weeks. John Barrowman has already let slip that Jack is going to be in season 4 as well which means we only need Sarah Jane to make those "Everyone teams up to fight Davros" Sun stories true...
Over at the Bendis Board a someone was speculating that The Doctor and crew will go back to when the Cybermen invaded and that's how Rose will reappear. Personally I like that idea, that way there's no messing with the ending of season 2.

Transfannabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 06:36 AM   #32
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Well, I hope anyone avoiding spoilers avoided all newsagents yesterday as at least the Mirror chucked it on the front.

Old 2007-11-28, 02:21 PM   #33
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.

I ****ing hate the media's approach to television in this country.

Seriously, you don't even need to watch half the soaps to know exactly what's going on.

"HEY! WE IZ GOING TO COMPLETELY RUIN ONE OF THE BEST MOMENTS OF NEXT YEER'5 TEEVEE FOR U, JUST SO WE CAN SELL MORE UNITS"

****s.

But, yeah, time travel back to a time before she crossed dimensions is the sensible and obvious way of doing it.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 02:55 PM   #34
angloconvoy
Big Metal Person

Ichihara, Japan

And therefore likely not the option they'll take. But come on, is anyone even remotely surprised? I'll bet the conversation went something like "Who should we bring back next?" "Well, who does everyone know that isn't the Daleks or the cybermen" "How about Rose?" "Ooh, genius piece of TV, we can bring Martha back in around the same time for some real sexual tension, and heavily imply that jack made four in some steamy Queer As Timefolk romp".

angloconvoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 03:14 PM   #35
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.

Nope. Not surprised in the slightest.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 04:41 PM   #36
martyboy70
Chaos Bringer

Glasgow,Scotland

Quote:
Originally posted by Halfshell
I ****ing hate the media's approach to television in this country.

Seriously, you don't even need to watch half the soaps to know exactly what's going on.

"HEY! WE IZ GOING TO COMPLETELY RUIN ONE OF THE BEST MOMENTS OF NEXT YEER'5 TEEVEE FOR U, JUST SO WE CAN SELL MORE UNITS"

****s.

But, yeah, time travel back to a time before she crossed dimensions is the sensible and obvious way of doing it.
Yep drives me mad as well got a TV guide in one of the Saturday papers??
Good you dont need a TV then as its all there in all its murder/other crimes/incest/adoption/affairs/dodgy deals/who got who pregnant etc etc glory
Oh you actually wanted to watch the show and be surprised by at least one scene/storyline you say ah bollocks to that

Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
martyboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 06:31 PM   #37
Heinrad
Ironmod

If it wasn't for the location shoot stuff, one could almost hope that RTD is messing with the media's collective heads.

RTD: -points to the left- "Great Scott! Chelonians!"

Media Hounds: -pivot to the left- "Where? Where?"

Phil Collinson: -beats feet off to the right with scripts, film reels, etc-

On a Sontaranian note.... well, to paraphrase Princess Leia, "Aren't you a little short to be a Sontaran?" I kind of like the new armor, but as I remember, the Sontarans from Time Warrior, The Sontaran Experiment, and the Two Doctors were all around 6 feet tall. This one's shorter than Martha. Not by much, mind you, but I figure Martha's got thick-soled shoes on........

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

Old 2007-11-28, 07:30 PM   #38
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

I just think it'd be fantastic if they'd come up with at least one original idea that wasn't **** on a plate. That said, while the production team are mentally challenged, what exactly are they meant to do when faced with a bunch of masturbating fanboys declaring Ropey Old Monster should be brought back. Next stop: Attack of the cocking Cybermen.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 08:00 PM   #39
Heinrad
Ironmod

They'd have to redo the costumes again.......

Old 2007-11-28, 08:17 PM   #40
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Heinrad

On a Sontaranian note.... well, to paraphrase Princess Leia, "Aren't you a little short to be a Sontaran?" I kind of like the new armor, but as I remember, the Sontarans from Time Warrior, The Sontaran Experiment, and the Two Doctors were all around 6 feet tall.
You misremember- The Two Doctors ones were very tall but that got fans backs up because they're supposed to be short what with coming from a high gravity planet.

The main thing that makes me think it isn't a "They gom back to before she left" story is that on location she's meet Donna. So before Doomsday she knew she was leaving and would be replaced? Unless they do a "Let us never talk of this again" thing I can't see it. I'm in the "The Pete's world version of a major Who villain escapes from there and Rose comes after it" camp.

Oh the best thing about the location pics is that they're all blurry meaning the guy who took them was hugely abused online for faking them till the beeb made the anouncement.