• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2008-01-25, 07:44 PM   #61
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Protectobots get my nod, just ahead of the Combaticons and Technobots. Nothing spectacular from any of 'em, IMO
The Technos were a decent enough bunch, and fairly unique. I just didn't like Scattershot being 9/10 of the height of Computron alone... You're right, though, they blew away the detail and effort of the Headmasters for that year.

Protectobots I would have liked more if it weren't for Groove, I think. Streetwise is probably one of the best of all the 'combiner limbs'.

Quote:
But the Seacons' robot modes just seemed all the more deformed than was usual for the teams - the half-decent (if horribly coloured) Snap Trap aside, did any of them muster anything approaching a decent-looking set of limbs?
Nope.. just chibi arms and legs for beast mode with hands that came out of them, or tucked along the 'body' with lower legs.

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-25, 07:50 PM   #62
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFVanguard
The Seacons, though, like the Terrorcons, were just ridiculous 'monster bot' figures that looked pathetic in either mode.
Hey, now. Bash the smaller Terrorcons all you want, but Hun-grrr is a top-notch Transformer. He's got more articulation and better proportions in robot mode than any other G1 figure I've ever seen, and he looks great on top of it. His minions deserve all the flak you can throw in their direction, but Hun-grrr is a genuinely good toy who deserves more regard than he gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RID Scourge
I don't see the Rodimus/BB comparison, myself, tbh.
I think that's more from the concept art than the club pic itself (which can be easily tracked down by anyone with Google and five minutes to spare, for anyone still wanting to see it). I'm assuming the toy in the pic is a bit mistransformed, but even then there's quite a bit of difference between the concept and the execution. I'd actually rather have a toy that looked like the concept art, but I figure Sideswipe will resemble it a lot more.

Just out of curiousity, is Classics Sunstreaker's alt mode based on the same car as Cybertron Hot Shot? It looks very similar (although, sadly, I think I actually like Hot Shot better so far :\).

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-25, 08:03 PM   #63
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
He's got more articulation and better proportions in robot mode than any other G1 figure I've ever seen, and he looks great on top of it.
Eh. Kind of a proto-RiD-Megatron... articulation but the alt-mode isn't anything to write home about...

I'm biased towards 'real' alt-modes though.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-25, 08:34 PM   #64
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Yeh, got to concur on Hun-Grr - as a poseable action figure, he's pretty good, but he's just got that look in alt mode of being a robot on his back, waving his legs in the air like he's doing the Dying Fly.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 07:37 PM   #65
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

I'd have to say Terrorcons are my favorite for purely nostalgic reasons. He was my first complete combiner. I was very excited to get him for my birthday. I opened the first package to see Hun-Gurr, then the next package had two limbs, and I remember thinking "Wow, I only need two more for the whole set," and then the third package had the other two. Sadly, I popped Ripper-Snapper's head off within a few minutes while trying to get the arms to move (Hun-Grrr's connection points were tight, on mine. They still don't turn, but my second set I got does, so that's all right).

I like Hot Spot from the Protectobots, since he's my first combiner part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
...a spokesman went on to add, "because it's entirely feasible to work out who did so, and we feel that a witch-hunt that results in the wrong person or persons getting booted will help PR hugely."
I suppose so. Generally I try to honor requests such as, "This is a special exclusive, and we kindly ask that you not leak this until such time as Hasbro makes these images public," but there are people who won't, and threatening their membership would be a bit more effective, I suppose.

Last edited by RID Scourge; 2008-01-26 at 07:42 PM.
RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 07:45 PM   #66
Springer007
Truth-bearer

Fort Smith, Arkansas

first combiner set i ever bought was Devastator from Amoktime.com . I think it is a knockoff or something because the green they used is not listed under the G2 line that they advertised (that or it was a g1 - g2 in between line). Poor Hook, his leg broke off within 5 minutes, such cheap, cheap plastic quality. Then came vintage g1 Superion with the shield/ramp and fist missing - bought him at an antique shop for a steal really! Then RID Bruticus who I adore because he just is so blocky and sturdy looking.

Springer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 05:35 AM   #67
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by RID Scourge View Post
I suppose so. Generally I try to honor requests such as, "This is a special exclusive, and we kindly ask that you not leak this until such time as Hasbro makes these images public," but there are people who won't, and threatening their membership would be a bit more effective, I suppose.
If I was a club member knee-jerk empty threats would only make me more likely to leak images, purely out of spite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
I'm biased towards 'real' alt-modes though.
If we were talking about a vehicle-based Transformer I'd definately agree with you. For beast modes, though..even as a Beast Wars fan, I have to admit that that rarely turns out well. 90% of the time either the beast mode is a statue or you end up with a shellformer. In the end, I'd much rather have a TF that turns into something obviously fake (like Hun-grrr) or heavily embellished (like Classics Grimlock) and does it well than one that tries to replicate a realistic animal and fails miserably (like BW Dinobot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Yeh, got to concur on Hun-Grr - as a poseable action figure, he's pretty good, but he's just got that look in alt mode of being a robot on his back, waving his legs in the air like he's doing the Dying Fly.
I can see where you're coming from, but considering the era he's from I don't think he does too bad for himself. He pulls off his beast mode better than most g1 beasts, and he's a much better toy than any of the other combiner team leaders (although the likes of Motormaster, Silverbolt or Onslaught don't put up much of a fight in that regard).

Frankly, just not being a total brick in robot mode automatically puts him in the top 10% of G1 releases in my books. He could turn into a Rubik's Cube and I'd still like him more than pieces of junk like Motormaster* or Kup.

Plus, you know...he's got a gigantic purple shield. That's gotta count for something, right?

* I really don't like Motormaster. I'm starting to think he might be even worse than Broadside. But finding out for sure would involve digging them both out of the Box of Shame and playing with them, and I'm not enough of a masochist to inflict that on myself.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 06:13 AM   #68
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I understand the gripe about the club, but what's wrong with the convention, aside from the non-optimal timing?
That's pretty much it. The fact that it's held outside of prime convention season because the company's GI Joe fans have a higher priority than us. I'd much rather someone handle it that can hold it during the summer.

Sir Auros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 04:11 PM   #69
Gareth Infinity
Ashamed

Northeast Ohio

Maybe it's just because I've never owned any of the other G1 combiners, but I really love my God Neptune (Seacons) set. Am I just too easily pleased? Or is there something wrong with me?

Gareth Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 07:57 PM   #70
Ackula
Charnel House

CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth_Infinity View Post
Maybe it's just because I've never owned any of the other G1 combiners, but I really love my God Neptune (Seacons) set. Am I just too easily pleased? Or is there something wrong with me?
I had all the combiner teams from US G1 growing up, and the seacons were my favorite. I'm not really sure why, I just liked the alt modes a lot. Terrorcons were another of my favorites. At any rate I've always wanted the BWII God Neptune set as well, I like the colors better than the original, plus the characters are just cool in the anime.

Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 08:04 PM   #71
Gareth Infinity
Ashamed

Northeast Ohio

Couple weeks ago I picked up Hun-Grrr and Rippersnapper off of eBay...haven't yet really tried to buy any of the others, but I will eventually.

All this here talk about Seacons is making me want to finish that huge review for the God Neptune set that I ALMOST completed but gave up on once school started again, and see if anybody will actually read it even though I claimed it all the way back in December...:\

Gareth Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 11:26 PM   #72
cooldeal99
Protoform

Default a little help here

first i want to say i'm new here so whats up to everyone.now when exactly is the classics 2.0 line coming out because i'm really looking forward to getting ahold of one of my absolute favs octane.any help would be helpful

cooldeal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 12:48 AM   #73
Railguard
Battalion Commander

NY
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldeal99 View Post
first i want to say i'm new here so whats up to everyone.now when exactly is the classics 2.0 line coming out because i'm really looking forward to getting ahold of one of my absolute favs octane.any help would be helpful
Hey Cooldeal99....I believe that the new Classic line 2.0 will be coming out this fall...unfortunatley. (sp)...but you can see some pics at tformers.com and scroll down a little to see Sunstreaker and Sideswipe. Hope that helps.

Railguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 01:36 AM   #74
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

I picked up the God Neptune set a while ago, sans GN parts. They're about what I would expect from G1 molds. I can't wait for the club exclusive, though.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 02:01 AM   #75
Tramp
Unicron

Buffalo, NY

The one I am really interested in seeing is this proposed Ultra-class Powerglide figure. Persoanlly, I'd rather he be Deluxe or smaller simply to better match up with my custom Moonracer, who's minicar sized. Failing that, I hope they also come out with an LoC class version.

Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 10:02 PM   #76
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Prototype photos depicted on Hasbro.com.

http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/u...649ACADFB6ADDC

Plus a nifty video...
http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/universe/

Last edited by Nevermore; 2008-01-29 at 10:06 PM.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 10:05 PM   #77
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Really like Prowl and Powerglide.

Old 2008-01-29, 10:11 PM   #78
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

All looking good except Onslaught IMO; Sunstreaker looks good like that, let's hope they somehow interesting up the colours for the final release, as something about the other pic just didn't spark.

EDIT: The text is surprisingly candid for something on the official site, isn't it?

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 10:14 PM   #79
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Quote:
EDIT: The text is surprisingly candid for something on the official site, isn't it?
Yeah. Like the overall open-ness of it.

Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 10:16 PM   #80
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Mmm. Plus integration with Digg... they're definitely going after the adult market a bit more actively these days. "They were always real to me" sounds like a viral marketing thing. Looks good.