• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2008-02-08, 05:04 PM   #161
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Still, nice to see Tom Lenk in a big successful film, wasn't it? See SMG, it can be done...

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 05:40 PM   #162
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
You're basing an argument on someone being able to prove a negative? Hi Tramp, didn't recognise you in that suit.
Tis a low blow Sir. I'm basing my argument on the fact that what the interview actually said ("We cheated on animating the transformations") isn't the same thing everyone seems to be assuming he said ("The robot designs don't work").

Ironic that it's this part that's causing the most debate when it's the stuff about Michael bay and the script that probably resulted in the interview being pulled.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 05:47 PM   #163
Sonray
Transformer Customizer

UK

Tramp seems famous around every board i go to. lol

Sonray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 05:52 PM   #164
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonray View Post
He was actually calling me a tramp. Just because I live on a roundabout and dress (and smell) like johny the Cobbler. *sniff*.

Old 2008-02-08, 05:59 PM   #165
martyboy70
Chaos Bringer

Glasgow,Scotland

Quote:
I think the word you are looking for is "infamous" or banned would work too.

martyboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 06:03 PM   #166
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

I was thinking of that dog out of the film...
Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
what the interview actually said ("We cheated on animating the transformations") isn't the same thing everyone seems to be assuming he said ("The robot designs don't work").
I think it's very unlikely the animation can be made to work, whatever budget or time is thrown at it, but impossible for live props to do so. The biggest drawback is that the vehicles have interiors that consist of a lot of air or soft furnishing -- whilst the robots have solidly-packed interiors.

Make the fake panelling a bit less busy and credit the good guys with the intelligence to adopt less 'scary' heads and I'd be happy with the movie designs.

Quote:
it's the stuff about Michael bay and the script that probably resulted in the interview being pulled.
Ayup. Though I don't think they wanted any of it getting out and being matched up to early statements -- the school liason was undoubtedly made on the basis of a session being informal. People still forget that recording equipment is incredibly cheap and versatile these days, and that even without it many people still have functional memories that haven't been dulled by too much attention-span-sapping modern media.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 06:19 PM   #167
Sonray
Transformer Customizer

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyboy70 View Post
I think the word you are looking for is "infamous" or banned would work too.
Ouch...poor fella must have run out of sites to use by now. What does he get banned for?

Sonray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 06:26 PM   #168
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Quote:
What does he get banned for?
Here? Nothing, I believe, as he's still active here. And therefore it's probably not fair for everyone to talk about him like he isn't. Back to the on-topic off-topic, please, before anyone realises I have no powers in this forum and carries on.

Less scary Autobot heads? I thought consensus was Bumblebee looked like Gizmo...

Old 2008-02-08, 06:32 PM   #169
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Here? Nothing, I believe, as he's still active here. And therefore it's probably not fair for everyone to talk about him like he isn't.
I motion we ban Denyer for bringing it up in the first place. Or just do what you say. Whichever's more likely.

Quote:
Less scary Autobot heads? I thought consensus was Bumblebee looked like Gizmo...

I find Ironhide's big monkeyish head rather cute (ironic really as he's the one who should have a ****ed up evil face), and Ratchet's had the right quality of gruffness to it (if that makes sense). I guess Jazz hiding behind his sunglasses could be seen as a bit sinister...

Old 2008-02-08, 06:41 PM   #170
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Quote:
I motion we ban Denyer for bringing it up in the first place.
I dunno, he's the only one who ever makes anyone else a cup of tea. Everyone else is all "Oh, sorry, I made it in the cup, didn't think anyone else wanted one". And he's sent me a small platoon of Dozer knock-offs.

Old 2008-02-08, 06:46 PM   #171
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Here? Nothing, I believe, as he's still active here. And therefore it's probably not fair for everyone to talk about him like he isn't.
Mmm. One aside between two people about a specific point doesn't warrant half a dozen posts of meta...

...that'd be something TF-related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek
I find Ironhide's big monkeyish head rather cute (ironic really as he's the one who should have a ****ed up evil face), and Ratchet's had the right quality of gruffness to it (if that makes sense). I guess Jazz hiding behind his sunglasses could be seen as a bit sinister...
Whereas I rather suspect non-fans had difficulty telling them apart, save for the colours. We can (and frequently do to extremes) read things into a minimum of dialogue and screen-time.

Shame that Nightbeat doesn't have a wider head for the antennae.

Old 2008-02-08, 08:00 PM   #172
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Arrow

It may just be that I'm sitting here sick and woozy, but... what are we actually debating, anyway? Movie designs: yay or nay again?

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 08:07 PM   #173
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

"Rationalisations people have used in support of preferences. Discuss (500 words)."

Old 2008-02-08, 08:18 PM   #174
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY

Ah, that again...

In that case, remember that people like different things for different reasons, and that nobody's really right or wrong, unless you're that guy, in which case your opinions are erroneous no matter what.

Back to the original topic: Nightbeat looks awful. It's better than the original yellow version of the toy, but that mold is still crap.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 08:24 PM   #175
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
I dunno, he's the only one who ever makes anyone else a cup of tea.

Yes, but what of the coffee drinkers, won't anyone think of the coffee drinkers?

Quote:
Whereas I rather suspect non-fans had difficulty telling them apart, save for the colours. We can (and frequently do to extremes) read things into a minimum of dialogue and screen-time.
I don't know anyone who had trouble telling the Autobots apart (not always remembering the names though, the black one, the silver one ect), it was the Decepticons that seemed to cause people trouble (and there more colour variation might have helped).

Old 2008-02-09, 04:22 AM   #176
Ackula
Charnel House

CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Back to the original topic: Nightbeat looks awful. It's better than the original yellow version of the toy, but that mold is still crap.
Yeahhh. The toy looks bad to me too man, really bad. Sad thing is a lot of people will pay a lot of money for it anyway.

Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 07:05 AM   #177
Treadshot A1
Or just 'A1' for short...

That Nightbeat is so bad that it's worse than energon Hot Shot... Well, maybe not.

Minicon Nightbeat beats this one by far, and it's already a crap minicon.

Maybe they'll be some sort of "Powerlinx Nightbeat". Maybe with Inferno. It'll still look crap, though.

Treadshot A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 07:50 AM   #178
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

I kind of like it. Besides, it's the first actual Nightbeat figure since the first one. Although I can forgive the antenna thing, to an extent. The MD Bright design out of the Spotlight, post-reformatting, lacked the antenna.

Depending on how much Hasbro wants for it(and how much club membership is), I might get one, and make my own antenna/hood mounted auto-shotguns.

Or wait for them to pop up on ebay........

The figure, not the shotguns.

EDIT(mainly because I was going to include this and didn't):

If Hasbro's marketing department is on their toes, they could redo Inferno as Hosehead and some other Energon/Superlink(Downshift, maybe?) as Siren.

Last edited by Heinrad; 2008-02-09 at 07:53 AM.
Heinrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 12:09 PM   #179
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Erm, why? They're still deeply unpopular characters - a few hardcore Furmanites would be interested in Siren, and that'd be about it. Hosehead was always just sort of there with them (memorable Hosehead moment? anyone?) and reflected glory isn't going to be enough to shift a Siren toy... This is why Nightbeat has personal sites dedicated to him, got a Spotlight and a sizeable role in IDWG1 and so on, and the other two don't. On top of that, Hosehead at least is so generic there's no point reworking another toy to be him - just pick any red fire engine Transformer and simply call him 'Hosehead'.

Basically, there are much bigger fish to fry in terms of Classics... Nightbeat's probably on just big enough to justify something like this.

Old 2008-02-09, 06:13 PM   #180
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

He looks like a fun enough figure, Hot shot's limitations aside. I'll probably order him.

Ummm . . . are the transformersclub/botcon not showing up for anyone else?

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote