Old 2008-02-06, 07:23 PM   #21
Vin Ghostal
Gave you a concussion

Making his summer residence in Alexandria, VA
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociopathic Autobot View Post
Then get out of the service industry.
You think everyone who's in the service industry chose to be there, or that they all have the potential to find a job elsewhere? Wanting to complain about your job doesn't mean you have the ability to quit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BARRAGE* View Post

SPEAK ENGLISH! **** YOUR THUG SPEAK! I DON'T KNOW WHAT "the haps on at thang rit thur, dat big ang thur, ya knawmain?" IS! IT"S NOT $%#@&! ENGLISH! AND THEN DON"T SAY THE EXACT SAME THING WHEN I SAY I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND YOU! AND TURN YOUR HAT FORWARD, PULL YOUR PANTS UP, AND TURN OFF YOUR CELLPHONES MUSIC PLAYER WHEN YOU'RE TALKING TO SOMEONE! BUY A SHIRT THAT FITS YOU!
Agreed. AGREED. A THOUSAND TIMES, AGREED!!!!

Vin Ghostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 07:52 PM   #22
Blitzwing
was here way before you.

British Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RID Scourge View Post
Hmmm . . . never did take my trash, since that was pretty much all the ushers got paid for at the theater I worked in, aside from the one or two who took tickets. Otherwise they'd just hide in a random theater and watch a movie until they were needed. That came straight from a bunch of my friends who were ushers. Sometimes they'd have to change the syrup for soda, but a lot of that was done by the concessionists.
See, that's kind of the reason I leave my garbage at movie theatres. Like what the hell else are you doing really? And, I'm not sure if you get the same perks, but I have a friend who used to work for the theatre, and he got free early screening tickets to movies all the time. That's a much better perk than what the people at fast food places get.

I don't know, maybe I'm just trying to justify my laziness, but whatever... I'm still leaving garbage under the seat. Also, I usually finish whatever I'm eating/drinking half way through the movie and have forgotten about it by the time its over anyways.

Blitzwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 08:13 PM   #23
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Equally, some of us aren't wankers.

Trust me, after a better part of a decade doing this shit I can assure you everyone is.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 08:22 PM   #24
Zeeks
is gettin got wif da gloc

Oa
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BARRAGE* View Post

"the haps on at thang rit thur, dat big ang thur, ya knawmain?"
Hey Bro Just out of curiosity, what does this translate to in "normspeak"? I tried sounding it out phonetically, and basically.........well, my dog's barks make more sense.

"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Zeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 08:29 PM   #25
Dinobot
I Am Leeds

Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeks View Post
Hey Bro Just out of curiosity, what does this translate to in "normspeak"? I tried sounding it out phonetically, and basically.........well, my dog's barks make more sense.

I'll take a a stab at it:

What's happening with that thing right there? That big thing right there, know what I mean?

Why someone would ask this I do not know

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Dinobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 08:45 PM   #26
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Dunno what "haps" are, but I assume it's just pointing and asking for something off the concessions stall -- "that thing right there, the big one there"...

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 09:14 PM   #27
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Smile

Quote:
Dunno what "haps" are...
In this context, it is the equivalent of saying "What's the deal...." or something to that effect.

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 09:16 PM   #28
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

I wish I could find that thread I made a few years ago about a shitty day at work that would top this one. Need to relearn the search function.

Sir Auros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 09:38 PM   #29
Sociopathic Autobot
I'm ****ing Matt Damon

I'm ****ing Ben Affleck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin Ghostal View Post
You think everyone who's in the service industry chose to be there, or that they all have the potential to find a job elsewhere? Wanting to complain about your job doesn't mean you have the ability to quit...

Almost everywhere in Canada has worker shortages right now, maybe I'm just used to being able to walk into just about anywhere and grabbing a job here. Fact is though if you don't like dealing with customers because they don't care, you should be actively trying to get out.

SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Sociopathic Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 10:01 PM   #30
ThePeacemkr2
One with the Matrix

Massachusetts

I work in a movie theater over the summer, so I can definitely understand what you mean (though I'm a concessionist, so I dont deal with cleaning theaters - though I've got plenty of 'What is wrong with these people?' stories from concessions).

I remember I was actually really surprised when I first started working there, and I found out that people often didn't take their trash out with them. I had always just sort of assumed everyone did, since you don't actually have to change your path at all to throw something away, just a slight arm movement as you pass the can.

I understand if someone just forgot about something under their seat, but drink cups I really don't understand, since you don't even need to bend down to pick it up or anything.

It is part of an Usher's job and all that, but when it's busy, it isn't like they just lounge about when there isn't a theater to clean - they'll get sent to help out behind concessions, or sell tickets, or whatnot. I look at it as a small courtesy on the lines of holding the door for a half second when there's someone a second or two behind you - it's not required, but it's the kind of thing most people do anyways.

He's alive. Go figure.
ThePeacemkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 12:48 AM   #31
Vin Ghostal
Gave you a concussion

Making his summer residence in Alexandria, VA
Smile

Quote:
Almost everywhere in Canada has worker shortages right now, maybe I'm just used to being able to walk into just about anywhere and grabbing a job here. Fact is though if you don't like dealing with customers because they don't care, you should be actively trying to get out.
Oh, I agree. You certainly shouldn't linger in a job you dislike...if alternatives are available and achievable. For many, particularly (but not exclusively) those with limited education, such alternatives are limited largely to moving between service-oriented occupations, and there's no guarantee that the next job dealing with the public will be any more satisfying than the last. Additionally, since there are certain benefits to building a relationship with an employer, even in the service industry, moving laterally looks even less attractive.

Vin Ghostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 12:49 AM   #32
Zeeks
is gettin got wif da gloc

Oa

Quote:
Dunno what "haps" are, but I assume it's just pointing and asking for something off the concessions stall -- "that thing right there, the big one there"...
Yes, Ziggy is right on that one. That's the only part of the phrase I understand. I.E. if I am asking you "What's the haps, paps?" (which is a phrase I use often), I'm basically asking (or saying) "Hey, what's going on, bro?" or "What's new, Denyer?"

Depending on tone and inflection, it can simultaneously be a question and statement.

"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Zeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 02:15 AM   #33
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.

Quote:
Almost everywhere in Canada has worker shortages right now, maybe I'm just used to being able to walk into just about anywhere and grabbing a job here.
This is true- but if you want a decent-paying job, you've really got to be looking. And be willing to travel a bit out of your way. I don't know how it is on your side of the country but here, if you're willing to settle for 9-10 bucks an hour, you can definitely just grab a job anywhere. If you're trying to support a family or live independently however, it's a bit more difficult.

Quote:
Fact is though if you don't like dealing with customers because they don't care, you should be actively trying to get out.
Yup. I spent a lot of time job-hopping and doing just that. It can get frustrating but it's ultimately worth it- if you have the resources to spend time doing so, anyway.

bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookblaghbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook
Sades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 02:45 AM   #34
Sociopathic Autobot
I'm ****ing Matt Damon

I'm ****ing Ben Affleck

Quote:
Originally Posted by saysadie View Post
This is true- but if you want a decent-paying job, you've really got to be looking. And be willing to travel a bit out of your way. I don't know how it is on your side of the country but here, if you're willing to settle for 9-10 bucks an hour, you can definitely just grab a job anywhere. If you're trying to support a family or live independently however, it's a bit more difficult.
It's unique in Vancouver right now because of the Olympics. There is a lot of work in Construction, paying upwards of $20-$30 an hour at entry level. Most service industry jobs are starting near $12 to keep competitive. I have seriously given thought to just passing over Law which is what I want to do for a Trade. Even though I won't enjoy it I will start making money a lot faster and be able to get on my feet and away from home (not that I can't do this now, but I'd need a roommate/girlfriend ready to move out herself)

edit- Actually if you're still where you were last time we spoke, Calgary is also starved for employees. Jobs in liquor retail start near $16 - 20 according to some liquor agents.

SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Sociopathic Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 02:51 AM   #35
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.
Red face

Quote:
I have seriously given thought to just passing over Law which is what I want to do for a Trade.
Word of advice- don't. I have a lot of friends who took jobs simply for that reason and they've had nothing but horrible things to say about it. Hell, I've done it myself on the advice of friends and family and it was basically crap the entire time through. Law will get you somewhere in the end, working a trade is definitely good money, but [usually- there's exceptions] only for the amount of time you remain able-bodied.

bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookblaghbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook
Sades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 03:14 AM   #36
*BARRAGE*
wait... he's still alive?

@SA: the bitch of it is that in my area at the moment- few jobs are available (that pay more than i make now, that is) i could easily walk into a local store/returaunt/etc... but i would probably begin the murder spree shortly there after... i just applied for a second job for year round (i do side jobs in the summer- cement and roofing mostly) at a movie store, as i love movies, but canada would be really interesting- if i had the consistent means to move out there, that is... also taking with a buddy of mine for a side job as a bouncer- just have to pass the physical, and i'm good...

@Denyer (about the english): my rage cannot be swayed by simple logic and factual evidence...

and as whole- leaving the trash behind doesn't bug me as much as when i walk in and hear some woman telling her kids that it's ok to be a slob in public because people will deal with it- these are the women i imagine going home and screeching at their kids to clean their rooms and wondering why their children don't care...

oh- and the "haps on thit thang rit thur" is some morons attempt to ask what the price on a large popcorn was- not being psychic/retarded enough to understand him- i had to ask three times what he said and then his girlfriend explained it to me...

but customers seem to have the conception that we have psychic powers- i had someone come in to "talk to his girlfriend" yesterday, he went in, and left with some girl- three hours later, the group th girl had come with came back to get one of the guys cell phones, and told me that the guy had punched his friend in the face and stole the girl... my reaction was "why the hell didn't anyone say anything?"... the response was a blank stare... next time someone has to come in and talk to their girlfriend- i will know whats really up (lol)... almost six years and i have never had such a thing happen till then, kinda makes me chuckle...

HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD
*BARRAGE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 04:06 AM   #37
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin Ghostal View Post
Well, it's definitely impossible if you don't try.

And, you see, it's hard for me to respect that. If you never try, by going to school, going to college, at least putting out your resume, etc, then of course you're not going to get anywhere. And, at the end of the day, it's not the government's fault, or the white man, or big business, or anyone else's fault but your own.

Sure, sometimes it doesn't pan out, or you discover your priorities take you in a different direction. I've gotten rejection letters. I've left a career behind for my children, etc. But, you know, I really don't regret having tried everything that I've done. I've accomplished a lot of things that - when I was younger - I was told by people were just impossible. All it took was the balls enough to make the effort.

But, for many people, the ease of making an excuse and comfort in the lie that it's 'someone else's fault' is more attractive than just taking some initiative in life.

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 04:24 AM   #38
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFVanguard View Post
for many people, the ease of making an excuse and comfort in the lie that it's 'someone else's fault' is more attractive
I think it's more than that -- if youngsters have never seen anyone they know and respect achieve things, if they don't have heroes / role models / etc., then they won't have aspirations or consider them realistic.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 04:48 AM   #39
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
I think it's more than that -- if youngsters have never seen anyone they know and respect achieve things, if they don't have heroes / role models / etc., then they won't have aspirations or consider them realistic.
There's some truth to that.. but, you know, anyone here should know better, nae?

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 04:51 AM   #40
*BARRAGE*
wait... he's still alive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFVanguard View Post
...All it took was the balls enough to make the effort.

But, for many people, the ease of making an excuse and comfort in the lie that it's 'someone else's fault' is more attractive than just taking some initiative in life.
i honestly like my job-monetary/social status be damned, i'm happy and thats what matters to me, happiness isn't the size of your wallet- it's not your f*ckin khakis- its if you can wake up and feel good about your self... which is not to say i haven't considered a new path ever... i plan to be more than this- i'm just working toward my fianl goals...

- i just wanted to shout about a few things that have been nagging me for a week or so... no job is perfect- unless there is a job that entails watching movies and tv, getting free toys and creating my artwork all day for a million dollars an hour- then i will not bitch ever again, i swear to god above...

as far as role models and "kids these days" goes- my biggest role model is my grandfather who hauled bricks at his first job- then went to a factory at night to support his family- he eventually became a union leader and was worth half a millon upon his death- he was the best example of what a "man" truly is, next to my father... and it sickens me to listen to the jagoffs i grew up with who's daddy and mommy got them their jobs and they have nothing to show except that they are moving back in because they can't make ends meet... but then again- beer, cable tv, and xboxes cost money...

i live at home- but i help take care of the house and pay rent, i bought my first car with my own money, my second car, and my current car- i bought the family a car and maintain it till this day- most of peoples issue come from a overt materialistic view... i'm proud not to be consumed with material want (outside of art supplies and toys obviously)... and when the time comes- i will take a new path, and my ambition to do art proffesionally will pay off, in one way or another...

"...all a man's got is his word and to keep himself free- do with your life what you will...what does it take to be a man? WORK! what does it take to be a man? GIVE!" "what does it take (to be a man)" by DevilDriver

HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD

Last edited by *BARRAGE*; 2008-02-07 at 04:53 AM. Reason: spelling and incorrect quote
*BARRAGE* is offline   Reply With Quote