• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > General Discussion

Old 2008-02-07, 05:19 AM   #41
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

And when did I say 'money's what matters'.

I'm just more annoyed by those who say 'I can't do something' when, in truth, they've never even tried.

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 02:30 PM   #42
Chromia
Loving my Doctor Who

Gallifrey

I worked fast food for almost 3 years in my late teens. *shudders at the memories*

I personally think that EVERYONE should work that job for at least 6 months once. You'll never get pissy with anyone who works with the public again.

Chromia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 05:40 PM   #43
Vin Ghostal
Gave you a concussion

Making his summer residence in Alexandria, VA
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFVanguard View Post
There's some truth to that.. but, you know, anyone here should know better, nae?
Do you know Japanese? Do you know how to reconstruct a catalytic converter?

Why not?

Is it because no one ever taught you or served as an example?

Vin Ghostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 06:23 PM   #44
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin Ghostal View Post
Why not?

Is it because no one ever taught you or served as an example?
No, yes.

In the former case, I have actually begun to study on my own. In the latter, I learned on my own. Resources today are so easy to get that there's literally no excuse not to be able to learn.

Like I said, it's easier to live with the lies and excuses than risk failure for many people. And what you're doing is proving that example.

Old 2008-02-07, 06:59 PM   #45
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Resources today are so easy to get that there's literally no excuse not to be able to learn.
There's also no incentive if people don't see it work for other people they know.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 07:55 PM   #46
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
There's also no incentive if people don't see it work for other people they know.
And again, it's always someone else's fault. The excuse is made for failure... "why bother". There's 'no incentive' to live better than those around you? I'm not buying it, and I'm never going to buy it. I know better.

And again, I have no sympathy.

Old 2008-02-07, 08:12 PM   #47
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
There's 'no incentive' to live better than those around you?
There's no incentive to get out if you have to do it by small incremental stages in isolation from what little community exists around you. Particularly when those who do, for example, try within many education systems get systematically bullied (including physical abuse) for doing so.

People need support networks and realistic examples of success, and the few who succeed entirely without them are very, very rare.

You can have no sympathy, but you're not doing anything other than becoming part of the problem.

Old 2008-02-07, 09:37 PM   #48
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

You may think you know better, but you really don't know shit.

When shiftless losers have kids, and the kids are raised by people who never should have had kids in the first place, that's not on them. Don't fly that right-wing-pull-yourself-up-by-the-bootstraps line here. There are situations where people get stuck, and blame can truly be placed on other people (usually their parents).

Sir Auros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 10:03 PM   #49
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

No-one has a right to breed, although my favoured "universal sterilisation at birth" option is neither very feasible at the moment nor without aspects that wouldn't be quibbled with -- mostly as to who decides who gets the ability back and on what criteria.

Old 2008-02-07, 10:30 PM   #50
Zeeks
is gettin got wif da gloc

Oa
Smile

*Time to post a funny*

I've always maintained that leash laws should only apply to children under the age of 18; letting dogs and cats run FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keeping kids in the basement until 18 helps, too.

"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Zeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 06:03 AM   #51
*BARRAGE*
wait... he's still alive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Auros View Post
You may think you know better, but you really don't know shit...

Don't fly that right-wing-pull-yourself-up-by-the-bootstraps line here. There are situations where people get stuck...
i know some people that are straight up screwed by the environments they attempt to succeed in... but they chose similar to me- to use the money they have to help their families and pray that they made the right choice- but i am a firm believer that far too many people use such things as an excuse... "mommy yelled at me, daddy was too strict- so now i'm crazy"... if you recognize the source, the symptoms, and the end result (your asanine behaviour) then you can change...

i have no sympathy for those who don't try- the ones that do and get shat on by the universe- have my admiration for still trying- remain diehard!

HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD
*BARRAGE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 08:12 AM   #52
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BARRAGE* View Post
if you recognize the source, the symptoms, and the end result (your asanine behaviour) then you can change...
Not necessarily. Recognizing a problem and being competent enough/giving enough of a crap to do something about it are two completely different things.

I've been stuck, myself, for a while. It's not a matter of excuses so much as really not knowing what direction to take. A lot of that is lack of interest in everything that I see,* but there's also the nagging doubt in the back of my head that says "You've never been wanted anywhere you've gone.** What makes you think anyone will want to hire you?"

*Lets face it--for all the crap I put up with, I'll probably not make as much money someplace else (at least not for a while--unskilled labor's not really conducive to competitive wages), and I have benefits here. If I don't feel interested in a certain field, then there's absolutely no motivation to leave my current job. I really need to figure out what I enjoy and try to break into that.

**Pretty much true. My dad loves me, but he's incapable of showing it, and he would yell at me a lot when I was younger. He's gotten better, but that was only after I blew up at him over it. Most of the kids in elementary school treated me as an outsider before even so much as talking to me. A lot of the people who did become friends either screwed me or just stopped coming around. The only girlfriend I've ever had was only capable of loving herself. Every girl who will even speak to me has one excuse or another as to why I'm their friend. I made one mistake and my boss has treated me like a morlock, ever since.

It's kind of the reason I've become a lot more antisocial in recent years. Not to sound like a whinefest, but there's no much there that builds self-esteem or motivates me to actually change things.

That being said, I've felt things beginning to change, in the last few days. I'm a lot less frustrated, even in the face of my laptop getting hit with a huge trojan of unknown origin (I haven't been to any sites that I don't usually frequent . . . ). That may not sound like much, but it's a BIG step. I'm hoping the trend keeps up.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 06:26 PM   #53
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Could be almost anywhere right now if you haven't been updating browser plugins such as Adobe's PDF reader --

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/09/1656256

Old 2008-02-09, 06:33 PM   #54
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

Ah. That's probably what it was. I haven't been keeping up with that particular program, since I don't view all that many pdfs on my lappy. Thanks.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 01:31 AM   #55
slartibartfast
what's in the box ?

paris.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RID Scourge View Post
Recognizing a problem and being competent enough/giving enough of a crap to do something about it are two completely different things.
I'd like to add that, in a more abstract sense, there are core, founding aspects of our personality that are unchangable, in the sense of 'old habits die hard', the experiences we use as building blocks for defining who we are become foundations for our reactions in future situations. If you take the bottom brick out, everything that you built on that comes down with it.

Take me for example, I'm currently typing this post at home when I should be at work because I overslept... now I can present a whole lot of excuses such as my phone was out of batteries and my flat-mate took the charger with him on holiday, or that I'm working myself up with this drawing competition and leading an un-healthy lifestyle, etc. but the truth of the matter is I'm always late. anywhere, for anything, I'm late.

Now it really ****s me up when I see all the bother and panic I cause, everyone was worried sick that I might have had an accident or something, and I feel like a totally ****ing stupid egocentrical twat, but nonetheless I will still continue being late because it is un unfortunate by-product of principles that are central to my personality <- read as 'hippy', basically I feel caged by little pointing hands perfectly cutting up my life for me. I've been marching to the beat of the unseen drum ever since I was born, personally I hate and ignore it, it goes too fast for me. Nothing to do with disrespect or not caring, which is what I get criticised for and hurts because I know that's not true, and not something that is going to change by giving me more watches. It's become a case of suiting my lifestyle to me, rather than suiting me to my lifestyle.

There, not much to do with throwing litter in the bin, but I felt it had relevence.

Quote:
I'll probably not make as much money someplace else (at least not for a while--unskilled labor's not really conducive to competitive wages), and I have benefits here. If I don't feel interested in a certain field, then there's absolutely no motivation to leave my current job. I really need to figure out what I enjoy and try to break into that.
myeh, money is another one of mankinds' inventions that I feel needs a re-think.

Quote:
It's kind of the reason I've become a lot more antisocial in recent years. Not to sound like a whinefest, but there's no much there that builds self-esteem or motivates me to actually change things.
see above, suiting-your-lifestyle-to-you thing. Or failing that, I say destroy something, therapeutically
Quote:
I'm hoping the trend keeps up.

Quote:
No-one has a right to breed
You mean legally, or like, religously, for lack a better word ? One solution could be to give everyone money, as it seems to replace having children :\

Last edited by slartibartfast; 2008-02-10 at 01:35 AM.
slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 02:28 AM   #56
rattrap23
Who knows?

ont,canada

[QUOTE=*BARRAGE*;593920
PICK THE **** UP AFTER YOURSELF! DON"T LEAVE YOUR SHIT AND TELL YOUR KIDS "that's what they get paid for, just leave it" AND WALK AWAY! DON"T HAND ME YOUR ****IN TRASH! TAKE THE $#%@ CARE OF IT!

[/QUOTE]

hay for what we pay in consession prices, when i go to the theater and finish my insanely overpriced popcorn i take the bag, hold it to the side and
drop

1/2

Grew up, mellowed out.
rattrap23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 03:00 AM   #57
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
You mean legally, or like, religously, for lack a better word
Both. Legal reality and (IMO) morally -- far too many who can aren't competent, far too many who can't consider genetic offspring more important than parenting and rule out adoption.

Old 2008-02-10, 03:20 AM   #58
slartibartfast
what's in the box ?

paris.

true. Personally I believe the problem arises when people have children out of boredom, frustration and loneliness, rather than out of an actual desire to create life.

For me, the solution lies in a less constrictive society, rather than a more constrictive one.

Old 2008-06-18, 03:29 PM   #59
slartibartfast
what's in the box ?

paris.
Angry - **** this! **** it with something big and spikey.

The whole bloody point of doing this nightporter skit I've been doing for these last two years was that I'm supposed to get paid for doing sod all. I'm supposed to be drawing dammit, not wasting my life folding ****ing towels and ironing ****ing pillowcases, how anyone can get any sense of satisfaction from ironing is beyond me, utterly futile balls crap shit wankstain arse dammit!

We've been dropping like flies at work from lack of staff while the boss sits back and reaps in a ****ing mint off of our backs, all I've done these last two months is work, sleep like rip van winkle and eat like galactus, and I'm still losing weight and in a constant state of exhaustion. I wouldn't be surprised if I start losing teeth if this shit keeps up. It's killing me, literally.

The only thing stopping me from calling in sick is that it would mean that my collegues would have to pick up the slack, and they're just as ****ing overworked as I am... if I had realised what was happening earlier I would have ****ing gone on strike. boss didn't even turn up today so I'm venting my frustration in a satisfyingly pathetic and pointless way instead. I'd scream into a pillow only it's got a pillowcase I nicked from work on it and I can't stand the sight or smell of the bloody things anymore.

All I want to do is get this damn comic done, sometimes I think I'd be better off skyving off the taxpayer, or kicking someone in the balls... you know I actually started randomly punching bits of the hotel last night, I hadn't realised how bad things had got up 'till then.

Last edited by slartibartfast; 2008-06-18 at 04:24 PM. Reason: proofreading
Old 2008-06-18, 06:20 PM   #60
electro girl
Tall child, holding a beer.

Robot Republic of Yorkshire.

Quote:
There's no incentive to get out if you have to do it by small incremental stages in isolation from what little community exists around you. Particularly when those who do, for example, try within many education systems get systematically bullied (including physical abuse) for doing so.
agreed! i studied this in sociology (an inportant and eye opening subject, check my profile its listed as a hobby)

in britain in the 1960s and 70s studies of working class boys schools (usually in poor areas) showed that they developed an anti-school subculture and a more conformist attitude accepting the values of the school this second group was bullied for not accepting the the delinquent values of the first group (who refered to the second group as 'ear oles')

later studies in the 80s and 90s that focused on mixed sex comprehensive schools found similar results but discovered a third group which were niether pro or anti school but just wanted to 'get on' those who wanted to 'get in' still had delinquent values and still bullied those with the aim of 'getting out' (swots/nerds)

these studies show that if there is no reason to get out (or if it is not easily seen or atainable) then people will not get out and the cycle of delinquency will continue (a self fullfiling prophecy) especially true in traditionaly working class areas were a working class job and a part in the surrounding working class culture are easy to obtain without a need for qualifications (why work hard for a job when i can get one easily)

-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
electro girl is offline   Reply With Quote