Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > Other Toys, Cartoons & Comics

Old 2008-05-09, 07:42 PM   #41
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Convoy View Post

Oops... My mouse slipped...
Thank goodness I've already seen all of those films...

I like that picture. I think I'll send it to my brother...

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 08:01 PM   #42
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

I don't recognise two of those from the pic. What movies do the "Keyser Soze" and "The villagers sacrifice the policeman" spoilers come from?

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 08:03 PM   #43
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RID Scourge View Post
I don't recognise two of those from the pic. What movies do the "Keyser Soze" and "The villagers sacrifice the policeman" spoilers come from?
SPOILER! (select to read)
"Keyser Soze" is from "The Usual Suspects", and the villagers thing is from "The Wicker Man".

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 09:34 PM   #44
Blitzwing
was here way before you.

British Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman prime View Post
and beer is ****ing expensive at the theater, but when it's there, you have to drink it, right?
So true... we don't get beer at the movie theatres, but this reminds me of pretty much any proffessional sporting event I've ever been to.

Blitzwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 11:02 PM   #45
Blaster
This used to mean something.

Vancouver.
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwing View Post
So true... we don't get beer at the movie theatres, but this reminds me of pretty much any proffessional sporting event I've ever been to.
Oh lord. If they saw the price we pay for beer here, they'd shit themselves. No one down in the states - no one in the rest of Canada even knows what BC suffers through when it comes to alcohol.

Wake up son of mine. Momma got something to tell you. Change has come; life will have its way.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 02:11 AM   #46
RID Scourge
Lurking

Thumbs up

Ah. Thanks, Rack!

Old 2008-05-10, 07:37 AM   #47
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.

I'm going to ask a stupid question- How exactly does Stark survive the final blast at the end?

This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Sades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 09:32 AM   #48
Ozz
One with the Matrix

I'm on the roof and I'm staring at the stars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sades View Post
I'm going to ask a stupid question- How exactly does Stark survive the final blast at the end?
He wasn't hit by it, IIRC. Didn't he roll over on the side when the beam went up and hit Iron Monger?

-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 04:18 PM   #49
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Fantastic, you could have cut Mrs. Martin out of it completely and if I were being completely objective Jr. is probably to old for the role, but it doesn't really matter because he completely owned it in every way. And it's nice to see the always slightly underrated Jeff Bridges get a big meaty role.

The odd thing about Pepper was that when Bridges took out Stark's heart device thingey I assumed the bit earlier in the film had set her up to come along and save him. But she didn't and as he could have just had a spare in the lab she was completely irrelevant. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to put up with a rant from my Mother about token female characters afterwards.

Also, when Bridges used to sonic device on evilterroristman it killed him over 15 minuets, but Stark just winds up temporally paralysed. OK, perhaps it has lethal and non lethal settings, but why wouldn't he just kill Stark? Especially as his little gloat could have been got in with the 25 minuets.

All small oddities though, the rest was a charm. I really liked how they had Bridges pop his head out of the suit at the end of the fight as well, made sure we still associated him with the character we'd been booing for two hours and avoided the Hellboy mistake where it's hard to care about Rasputin once he turns into a big phallic monster...

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 06:35 PM   #50
Blaster

Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post

Also, when Bridges used to sonic device on evilterroristman it killed him over 15 minuets, but Stark just winds up temporally paralysed. .
It doesn't kill him. He even says he'll be fine in about 15 minutes. The bullets afterwards kill him.

Wake up son of mine. Momma got something to tell you. Change has come; life will have its way.
Old 2008-05-10, 06:38 PM   #51
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Thumbs up

Cool, must have misheard that bit, I thought he said "You'll be finished in 15 minuets".

Old 2008-05-10, 06:45 PM   #52
Blaster

Vancouver.

Quote:
Cool, must have misheard that bit, I thought he said "You'll be finished in 15 minuets".
He says something to the effect of "this paralysis will only last 15 minutes, but you have bigger problems worry about now." And then Stane's guards open fire.

Old 2008-05-11, 02:25 AM   #53
RID Scourge
Lurking

I really liked it a lot.

One thing that's not clear to me is why they couldn't remove the shrapnel after the electromagnet was installed. Presumably it would draw the shrapnel towards the magnet, making it easier to extract? I understand they they did it because of the comic origin involving his inability to survive without an iron lung, but it seemed a little flimsy. Otherwise it satisfied my minimum requirement of guys in robotic suits, blowing shit up.

Last edited by RID Scourge; 2008-05-11 at 02:28 AM.
Old 2008-05-11, 03:28 AM   #54
Blaster

Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RID Scourge View Post
I really liked it a lot.

One thing that's not clear to me is why they couldn't remove the shrapnel after the electromagnet was installed. Presumably it would draw the shrapnel towards the magnet, making it easier to extract? I understand they they did it because of the comic origin involving his inability to survive without an iron lung, but it seemed a little flimsy. Otherwise it satisfied my minimum requirement of guys in robotic suits, blowing shit up.
They would have to take the electro magnet out to operate. If they take it out, they can't operate since the metal isn't being held in place by the electro magnet.

Old 2008-05-11, 04:02 AM   #55
RID Scourge
Lurking

Ah. I didn't think of that, but it makes sense since the electromagnet would interfere with using metal surgical implements.

Old 2008-05-11, 04:08 AM   #56
Zeeks
is gettin got wif da gloc

Oa

I think the thing I liked most about this movie was how they built up Stane- It was common knowledge he would be the villain, but you totally didn't see the switch coming because that was what I expected- some kind of dramatic breakdown that turned him into the bad guy; but Favreau played him really cool, especially when you find out halfway through that he set up the initial attack that opened the movie.
Best movie of the year yet.
Now, if only Favreau could take over the Fantastic Four films...

"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Zeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 08:00 AM   #57
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Smile

Quote:
The odd thing about Pepper was that when Bridges took out Stark's heart device thingey I assumed the bit earlier in the film had set her up to come along and save him. But she didn't and as he could have just had a spare in the lab she was completely irrelevant.
Er, surely the point is that Stark wanted to throw it away because it didn't occur to him that having a spare might be useful. Pepper's sentimentality is what saved him.

Besides which, removing Pepper would have recquired a complete overhaul on the interaction with SHIELD, the resultant cover-up of Stane's death, etc etc.

She also serves the purpose of discovering (for the audience) that Stane was responsible for the assassination attempt. Okay, he pretty much confesses himself, but I think it works better with us seeing the video where they demand more.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 01:58 PM   #58
Detective Barricade
"To Punish and Enslave..."

Middle of Nowhere, Canada
Cool

The name of this thread doesn't begin to describe this movie. Excellent movie! But I thought this was supposed to be a non-spoiler discussion. I'm feeling spoiled rotten!

Got a complaint?

The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
Detective Barricade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 01:11 PM   #59
Chromia
Loving my Doctor Who

Gallifrey

One of my favorite little bits was, the "dummy" robot he used for fire suppression when he was testing the suit.

Cracked me up.

Chromia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 04:21 PM   #60
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfshell View Post
Er, surely the point is that Stark wanted to throw it away because it didn't occur to him that having a spare might be useful. Pepper's sentimentality is what saved him.

Besides which, removing Pepper would have recquired a complete overhaul on the interaction with SHIELD, the resultant cover-up of Stane's death, etc etc.

She also serves the purpose of discovering (for the audience) that Stane was responsible for the assassination attempt. Okay, he pretty much confesses himself, but I think it works better with us seeing the video where they demand more.

I don't know, they could have given most of her plot function to a human Jarvis and we wouldn't have had to put up with the wet romance. I can see why he wasn't in it (giving your millionaire playboy an English butler just shows up that Stan Lee's origin story for the character is "I saw a Batman comic crawling up the wall" and was probably a no goer the same summer as The Dark Night), but the Ultimate version of the character would have made this the greatest film ever.