Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Toys & Merch

Old 2008-07-09, 03:54 AM   #21
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energon Hot Shot View Post
Did you pull them out? I had the same problem until I realized he had ankles five hours later.
I did the same thing at first, yeah. After I figured that out he's a lot better, but it's still an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwing View Post
Octane (Not Tankor!) - I got to disagree with Warcry, I actually enjoy the figure.
Infidel.

Quote:
His transformation is fairly complex for a deluxe, which is nice.
A fair point. I think there were a lot of good ideas on the table when they designed him, but they didn't turn out as well as they could or should have.

I think they were doomed to fail the moment they decided to give him a rounded jet mode and an incredibly blocky truck mode -- one just doesn't mesh well with the other, and it shows. They could easily have sidestepped that by choosing a more rounded truck (even going with the tanker truck that G1 Octane turned into), but they didn't and he ended up with a fairly bad case of Broadside Syndrome.

If he had a good robot mode I'd have an easier time ignoring all that, but the problems with his arms and his comically huge RiD Magnus legs both bother me.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-09, 05:12 AM   #22
Treadshot A1
Or just 'A1' for short...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective Barricade View Post
I agree with you (except on the "brain problems" part) on that one. Hasbro will very likely have our money whether it's from Animated, or Universe/Classics, or even both! I've yet to find any of the latter, though... But I can tell that from both of these new lines, Hasbro will own my wallet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretcode View Post
I've yet to find any Universe line figures, but when you do, you'll know it, as I'd probably start a rave.
Yay! I'm not alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonray View Post
But yeah, damned hasbro! Im gonna need to start knocking off banks or somethin.
Been there, done that.

Treadshot A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-09, 04:06 PM   #23
Blitzwing
was here way before you.

British Columbia
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
but they didn't and he ended up with a fairly bad case of Broadside Syndrome.

If he had a good robot mode I'd have an easier time ignoring all that, but the problems with his arms and his comically huge RiD Magnus legs both bother me.
Not quite sure what you mean by "Broadside Syndrome".

I think the biggest downside of the figure for me, besides the lack of arm articulation, is that both of his vehicle modes have parts that should be covered, but instead are exposed. If you compare him to Astrotrain, you'll notice that both of Astrotrain's vehicle modes have complete shells and aren't missing pieces that show his inner workings. On the other hand though, Octane's transformations are much more complex than Astrotrain's.

Blitzwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-09, 09:09 PM   #24
secretcode
щ(゚Д゚щ)

Broadside was known for having a horrible robot mode and horrible alt modes, presumably from trying to cram 3 modes into one figure unsuccessfully.

And on the subject of being unsuccessful, no sightings today.

Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
secretcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 01:44 AM   #25
LKW
Gestalt

fray-adjacent
Smile

I got out of work a little early today, so headed down to Target. No luck there (though, FYI, they had all of the Cyber Slammers and Real Gear in the clearance aisle [assuming it’s not just a local decision, in which case, probably not that useful to know], and had a good selection of Animated figures), but I then headed down to Toys R Us. And – success! Sunstreaker, Prowl, and “Tankor”. I thought about getting Prowl, even though I like my “G1” original; and actually strongly considered Tank/tane. I really kind of liked the look of the plane mode (the one he’s packaged in); but, mindful of the mixed reviews, and not really liking the look of the robot mode from the pics, I passed on it, at least for now, and just picked up Sunstreaker. (Well, and a couple TRU exclusive GI Joe five-packs.)

And - :up ! Very cool figure. Seems a little taller than I expected – though for all I know, he’s the same height as the original, since I, too, never had a Sunstreaker figure before. I did have to double-check the photos to make sure I had him transformed properly, but no big. Nice articulation, including a lot of head movement, and I really like the head sculpt. I also dig the mechanism that raises the head up, though his chest doesn’t look quite straight.

Overall, out of my handful of Classics (Starscream, Hot –er, “Rodimus”, Mirage, Ramjet), I think he’s my favorite Autobot, and may be pushing Ramjet for favorite overall. Just a solid, cool figure, and I’m quite looking forward to the continuing line.

Last edited by LKW; 2008-07-11 at 02:27 AM. Reason: No, not FAB
LKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 05:22 AM   #26
Warcry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwing View Post
Not quite sure what you mean by "Broadside Syndrome".
Yeah, there are so many things wrong with Broadside that I suppose I should have clarified that a bit...

By giving Broadside an aircraft carrier mode I think the designers boxed themselves in quite a bit for the other modes. His jet mode was little more than a brick with wings and his robot mode was more or less a brick standing on end with a gun and an axe attached, and frankly I'm not sure how much they could have done back then to make him any better once they decided what he was going to turn into. Octane isn't even remotely as bad, but I think he's got the same basic problem. The two alt-modes just don't mesh, and trying to cram them together is what causes most of his issues.

Quote:
Octane's transformations are much more complex than Astrotrain's.
True. And even then Astrotrain's vehicle modes are far from perfect. His flaws (like the fact that half of the front end of a train is glued to either side of his shuttle mode) are a lot easier to look past (for me anyway), because the parts from one of his modes doesn't look nearly as out of place in the others as Octane's do.

Old 2008-07-10, 07:51 AM   #27
burnitall
Triple Changer

Washington

So, where the hell are you guys getting your TFU's from? I've never seen any at wal mart, and thats about the only place around here. They look pretty good, though.

burnitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 04:08 PM   #28
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

I found mine at TRU. Walmart just got animated last week so they're way behind.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 03:30 AM   #29
Warcry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RID Scourge View Post
Do it! Do it! Do it!
Well, I'm half-way there now. Picked up Sunstreaker today, and I'm impressed. He's not quite up there with my favourites, but he's a good, solid figure on par with Astrotrain or Grimlock. I wish they'd used a different type of plastic for his chest/roof, though, because as it is the shade of yellow doesn't match his body at all. He's still a notch or two up from his Alternator incarnation, though.

I suspect I'll like Sideswipe more, and frankly I'm a bit amazed that they managed to engineer a mold that can adopt two completely different robot modes with so little effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitall View Post
So, where the hell are you guys getting your TFU's from? I've never seen any at wal mart, and thats about the only place around here. They look pretty good, though.
Around here, the only place I've seen them so far is Wal-Mart.

Old 2008-07-12, 04:05 AM   #30
RID Scourge
Lurking

Thumbs up

I've only seen them at TRU.

Yeah. I absolutely love Streaker. He looks cool in Sideswipe mode, too. I'm actually planning on getting doubles of both just do I can make a yellow Sideswipe (inspired by Tiger Tracks so I'll call him that) and a red Sunstreaker (I'll have to come up with a name).

Old 2008-07-12, 05:32 AM   #31
Sunstreaker2
It's a Gundam!

Trumbauersville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RID Scourge View Post
I've only seen them at TRU.

Yeah. I absolutely love Streaker. He looks cool in Sideswipe mode, too. I'm actually planning on getting doubles of both just do I can make a yellow Sideswipe (inspired by Tiger Tracks so I'll call him that) and a red Sunstreaker (I'll have to come up with a name).

How about Spinout? That's the name I use for Red-Streaker...

No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Sunstreaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 06:31 PM   #32
RID Scourge
Lurking

Thumbs up

That could work. I'll have to remember it. Thanks.

Old 2008-07-12, 08:56 PM   #33
Ackula
Charnel House

CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitall View Post
I saw some for the first time today at Wal*Mart. They had Prowl, Sunstreaker, and Octane. They looked pretty good, but I used my spending money to buy Leader Class Megatron and Bulkhead from the Animated line instead. I might go back for Prowl and Sunstreaker next week if they are still some there.

Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 10:34 PM   #34
wolfbolt86
Triple Changer

Just got Octane from my local Toys R Us. Not bad, but I have to unscrew one of the legs just to extend the leg. Looks like he has to be in bot mod for now due to not being able to extend the one part unless I unscrew the leg agin.

wolfbolt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 12:35 AM   #35
SimonMK
Dinobot

Montréal

I bought all fo them and didn't like any of them. :S

Sunstreaker: His transformation is not really fun to do and I never liked the ''automorph'' mechanism for his head and his plastic feel kinda cheap.

Octane/Tankor: Simple transformation but his robot mode's look doesn't interest me (the look and the color scheme) and I don't like how his arms are made or his legs (both too slim). He can't even raise one of his arm with that giant claw weapon.

Prowl: The worst of the three in my opinion. Plastic look really cheap and the paint job was not good. His doors are fragile and easy to pull off by accident. Don't like how we pull out his head. His shoulders has nothing to keep them in place, so it always go toward his back or his front. Same thing for his doors in robot mode, can't stay in place. Legs aren't and always end up falling in his back.

I returned Prowl, gave Tankor to my brother for his birthday. Plan on returning Sunstreaker next week with Voyager Animated Prime. Probably going to buy Nightwatch Prime...

SimonMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 05:04 PM   #36
Energon Hot Shot
Heavily Cyborg

Texas
Exclamation

Huge sighting at the Wal-Mart off I-20 in Grand Prairie, Texas. They had:

Animated Wave 3 Deluxes
Animated Wave 1 Leaders
Animated Wave 1 Activators
Animated Wave 1 Bumper Battlers
Universe Wave 1 Deluxes
Universe Wave 1 Legends
Universe Wave 1 Robot Heroes

They only had one Megatron and two Bulkheads left, and some kid had food on his hands when he pushed the Try-Me button on Megatron.

Steam: Hot Shot
Energon Hot Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 01:20 AM   #37
burnitall
Triple Changer

Washington

Well, if they're in your wal marts, they'll probably hit mine sometime next month or something. Thanks, fellows.

burnitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 02:40 PM   #38
Ackula
Charnel House

CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonMK View Post
Plan on returning Sunstreaker next week with Voyager Animated Prime. Probably going to buy Nightwatch Prime...
Blasphemy.

Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 02:51 PM   #39
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

I've got Sunstreaker, Prowl, and Tankor all so far. I like all three in their own respects; Sunstreaker is just all around awesome (probably my favorite of the three), Prowl is really good too, but I think he's a little top/back heavy (I have problems bending his legs and getting him to not fall backwards without him looking at the ground), and I do like Tankor too, WarCry's got some good points in his review, but I think some of his transformations are slick.

I think it's a great start to a new line, and a good revival of the Classics, and I can't wait for Acid Storm! I really like that mold, and Galvatron is also gaining a lot of my attention.

ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 10:56 PM   #40
secretcode
щ(゚Д゚щ)

Still nothing down here. T_T.

Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
secretcode is offline   Reply With Quote