Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Encore Metroplex

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 10:04 PM   #3822
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

General thoughts about the dudes I just opened:

Deluxe Strafe... he's a decent deluxe class figure. Decent robot mode, dinosaur mode has massive legs that makes him look like a hunched over robot with kibble swapped out. Pretty impressive wingspan and dinosaur heads, though, which is all I asked for. Probably second-favourite AOE toy so far after Scorn, though the competition isn't much. His two tails are made out of rubber plastic and thanks to the packaging they're kind of curled around. He comes with a crossbow and two swords. I have trouble where to put them on display.

WASPINATOR! Like Warcry's review says, the knee articulation and the terribleness of the wing gimmick as opposed to a simple joint kind of rin him... and I also find some problems in getting his feet to transform into his beast mode. How do you even get the robot feet to fit? But despite all this I'm happy enough to have a good Waspinator robot. I suspect the euphoria may or may not die down after a while but WASPINATOR. I've wanted a Waspinator since 2008-ish, so consider this a six-year-old itch scratched.

(I'll keep him 99% in robot mode)

Waspy comes with a pack-in comic with RID... whichever, the Livio issue with Waspinator and Jhiaxus and Monstructor. It's not a bad issue as far as RID goes but one I don't particularly have interest in rereading at the moment.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-13, 12:46 PM   #3823
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Opened the two-packs today. Bumblebee is your average Legends class toy -- a simplified version of a far larger toy that's not terrible. Pretty sure I'll forget he exists, but it's a nice toy of Bumblebee in any case.

Stinger is a redeco of Sideways, because Sideways apparently can be redecoed into any red car robot from the Bay movies that doesn't have a toy.

Slug is a purple repaint of BWN Guiledart, a messy toy which I own... except he's pretty! And looks more proportional in robot mode than the actual AOE Slug, and GuiledartSlug has an entire dinosaur head for a hand and half of an entire dinosaur's hide hanging off his other shoulder.

Strafe is repainted off BW Terrorsaur, a mould I have desired for a long time but have failed to hunt down in his four or five incarnations. He's as brilliant as pictures and reviews make him out to be, despite his robot mode legs sticking out under his head in dinosaur mode. He comes with a gun that can fold! I didn't know that was even a thing!

I'm liking AOE Strafe a lot less. His dinosaur mode and robot mode are both a bit too messy for my liking. And while it isn't a complete disaster like Slug, all Strafe's got working for him is looks -- his articulation is particularly terrible; he's almost static from the waist down. And his hands are just weird all around, with elbows that only bend one way and his hands arranged in a weird, weird way. And comparing it to BW Terrorsaur, a twenty year old toy, well, that's just no excuse now, is it?

Scoop is a simple but awesome little toy, and I want to see him done as Scrapper! Thanks to Warcry's touch-up I'll always feel that he's really really bland in vehicle mode, but as it is I do find him a fun and solid little toy. His Targetmasters are nowhere as articulated as Nightstick is, which is a shame, but then I get two of them so yeah. His shoulders is a bit weird because the parts attached to his torso keeps sliding here and there and it's a bit tricky to get the Targetmasters attached to his hand, but otherwise he's cool.

Skywarp is m'eh, just like I thought FOC Starscream would be, but then I didn't expect much from him. He's a solid toy of the ugly WFC design painted up as Skywarp and that's about it. He comes with a Dark Cybertron issue where he can be seen in the background for a grand total of two panels.

Rattrap is far better than Waspinator IMO in that both modes are great... shame that the transformation is so fiddly. It's not quite as bad as Rhinox's is, but there is a shit-ton of panels competing for space when folding him into rat mode, and his beast-mode neck fur thing is difficult to manipulate since it keeps sliding inside his beast-mode head... if it makes sense. And the robot knees god how do they even fold into the rat. Still, like Rhinox and Waspinator it's a good, articulated Rattrap that looks a lot more like the show model. The rat mode is brilliant, looking like it just stepped out of the BW show (other than the robot hands on its underside but what can you do). It's got a nice tail that seems to have a strong wire in it so you can mode it, he's got great ratty feet... he's got a gun that splits into two guns (sadly in clear plastic) and his wrist opens up to reveal a removable... binoculars? Grenade? Communicator? Whatever the hell it is.

Last edited by Blackjack; 2014-07-13 at 05:05 PM.
Old 2014-07-14, 07:19 AM   #3824
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Drift is a decent toy, he just suffers from having really, really thick feet (like his G1 counterpart). He's got some rather hard ratchet joints, and swords that don't look like they can slash straight through Decepticon heads. He feels a bit too bulky, he's got too much kibble around his feet and back, and transformation into vehicle mode is a bit awkward due to the panels not lining up perfectly. Watch out for the hood, feels like a pretty stress-vulnerable joint there. He's not terrible, just not as good as a lot of the other guys I've opened yesterday.

Hound is a fun big dude. He doesn't have his cygar (boo) but comes with no less than seven guns, four of which can combine with each other and one is a triple-barreled gatling gun. Also a combat knife. And his arms are covered with ammo strips and missiles. Dude's the new Roadbuster. Decent toy, all seven guns store everywhere from the sides of his hips to the side of his chest to a nicely-crafted place in his feet... they all hold on pretty well but detach quickly. The guns can combine into a single super-gun. Love his altmode -- it's asymmetrical and pretty awesome in general.... yeah, I like him a lot.

Last edited by Blackjack; 2014-07-14 at 03:28 PM.
Old 2014-07-14, 03:26 PM   #3825
Notabot
Lutheran

Lowden, IA

You can actually put every one of Hound's weapons together to make one Big Honkin' Gun that's longer than his vehicle mode. Very satisfying!

Notabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 04:52 PM   #3826
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notabot View Post
You can actually put every one of Hound's weapons together to make one Big Honkin' Gun that's longer than his vehicle mode. Very satisfying!
Yeah, Hound is freakin' awesome. He's extremely fun to fiddle around with, his poseability is great, the soft plastic wrist-ammo things actually don't compromise his durability, you can transform him without having to play the 'fit 50 parts into the same space' game, he's got satisfyingly awesome accessories (which can't be said about Drift)...

Hound is awesome. Pretty easily the best toy I have in this haul.

Old 2014-07-15, 02:02 PM   #3827
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

Got another set of the Target version of legion Abominus yesterday.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 02:32 PM   #3828
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post

How many of the little dudes do you own already?

Old 2014-07-15, 03:51 PM   #3829
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
They had loads of those on sale in the Inverness Tesco a few weeks ago. I'll be up that way again next week - do you want me to pick you up any more if they're still there?

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 06:54 PM   #3830
Notabot
Lutheran

Lowden, IA
Wink

Hey Numbat! I'm Clay's enabler, not you!!

Notabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 11:05 PM   #3831
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

I just found and bought The Transformers: Generations Rattrap at a local Meijers. I think this a new shipment in fact the toy is so new the cashier had to call her manager because the barcode read it as a coupon!

They also had Tankor but I didn't get him because:
1) I didn't think my credit card would cover 2 toys.

2) He's nice at first glance but at second glance he's as stupid looking as the Beast Machines versions were. I loved Beast Machines TV show but man all of the toys from that line and with the exception of Fire Convoy/Optimus Prime all of the original molds in Car Robots/Robots In Disguise line as well are 100% crap.

The X-WCW a fun site for fun people.
Cyberstrike nTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-16, 12:55 AM   #3832
Clay

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post

How many of the little dudes do you own already?
A bunch... Maybe 25 sets altogether... Don't judge me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
They had loads of those on sale in the Inverness Tesco a few weeks ago. I'll be up that way again next week - do you want me to pick you up any more if they're still there?
Depends on the sale price. The dollar only makes a half pound at the moment, so they'd need to be really cheap to justify the currency difference. But do let me know!

Quote:
Hey, hey... you can both be my enablers!

Old 2014-07-16, 08:06 AM   #3833
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
It's very unusual for UK stores to stock any Transformers anyone has any interest in buying (including me) so I wouldn't worry.

Quote:
Depends on the sale price. The dollar only makes a half pound at the moment, so they'd need to be really cheap to justify the currency difference. But do let me know!
I think the set is 16.50 GBP in sale which still seemed expensive to me - that's kinda what I would have hoped the standard RRP would have been but no, it cost way more than that before. Let me know if that's of interest at all.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Old 2014-07-16, 02:28 PM   #3834
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Got a few new Transformers in the post:

- Generations Voyager Sky-Byte
- Generations Voyager Roadbuster
- DOTM Jetpower Optimus Prime (Buster Prime with faceplate and 'Buster' Jetfire)

Sadly Generations Voyager Roadbuster had a massive paint defect - his visor was barely half painted and looked dreadful, so I'm returning this to the seller on eBay. So far the seller is being very helpful, so fingers crossed it all goes fine and I get a replacement.

Generations Skye-Byte is truly awesome. He's my favourite RID character, easily the best thing to have come out of the series (although I do love Scourge as well, he's a bit more generic), and one of my favourite Transformers full-stop. He has such an interesting and complex character, which is quite at odds with the rest of the series. I was extremely excited when a Generations figure was announced, although wasn't entirely sure how well it would turn out. Well, the answer is very well indeed. Using the shark head for the chest is very cool, and although the shark colours are not exactly like the cartoon, they fit nicely. There's excellent detailing in shark mode, although he's stuck as a banana. His tail has limited articulation, and his flippers and jaw also move. The transformation is interesting, but not too complex (although pegging him back as a shark is a bit of a challenge with all the panels). Of course, Hasbro have missed out some key stages in the instructions - just to be aware. The head sculpt captures the character perfectly, and even has each tooth picked out in white paint (unusually detailed for Hasbro lately). Just looks amazing! Point of note though - like Whirl, he has some very thin pieces of plastic in his lower legs and right arm. The lower leg pieces actually do lock with other pieces to be more solid in robot mode (although this is not obvious from the way he comes mistransformed, or his instructions). Oh - as a bonus he has an articulated thumb though!

I've not had a chance to do much with Buster Prime and Jetfire yet. Other than admire just how spectacular Buster Prime is. He looks better than any of my Masterpieces! Such a work of art - I doubt we'll see a Movieverse Prime nearly so well done ever again (especially as he is becoming more abstract in robot mode). Jetfire does have a nicer paint job than the ROTF version in robot mode, which shows the huge level of detail and the spectacular Mechalive gears (which I barely noticed on the ROTF one). It looks to me as if the Blackbird has the same paint job pretty much as the ROTF version, so it's really just robot mode differences. At the end of the day, no matter how much nice paint you apply, that's just a terrible mould. I'm not sure if I'll be keeping him, but will at least combine them first (the package art shows Buster Prime combined with ROTF Jetfire, so it'll be interesting to see how different it may look).

Also items on eBay.
Old 2014-07-16, 03:00 PM   #3835
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

ROADBUSTER

I AM SO JEALOUS

Old 2014-07-16, 03:10 PM   #3836
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
ROADBUSTER

I AM SO JEALOUS
Well, yeah, but he's defective and I have to return him unopened... So not quite ideal!

Also items on eBay.
Old 2014-07-16, 07:31 PM   #3837
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Like Buses, three turned up at once today...and my, don't they highlight the manufacturing disparity amongst the current crop of Transformers toys...

FoC Grimlock

A fun toy to play with, good joints nice weapons and a decent sculpt. He lacks heels in robot mode which is a big downer and worst of all, he's so bloody hollow. He's like half an Easter Egg! From the front, he looks great - from the back...its like someone's scopped out his insides. The dino mode is decent, but the big bulky tail isn't to my liking. The plastics feel thin and not up to the pressure the ratchet joints put on them. Its clear where all the money spent on this toy has gone - the fairly pointless electrics stuff into the dino head.

Next up on the sliding scale of quality...

TF: Prime Predacons Rising Darksteel

A nice chunky figure and easily the best of the Predacon toys. He feels great, has a nice sculpt - some actual paint and a fun weapon. The beast mode is alright, its a chicken crossed with a dragon. In common with a lot of Transformers, he has shoulders in robot mode that don't lock into the torso. what gives with this Hasbro? There are so many figures coming out with free-flailing shoulders that goes beyond a design oversight... On the plus side, the plastics feel good. The blanket use of dark blue is a bit dull though.

Generations Whirl
In marked contrast to the others, Whirl has a considered design, good quality plastics (he feels great) some good weapon accessories and a fun transformation and a unique robot mode.

Given how for every good figure, there's others found wanting, are Hasbro overstretching themselves running multiple lines, or are the FoC designs just unloved by Hasbro's production team?

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-17, 01:02 AM   #3838
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
Given how for every good figure, there's others found wanting, are Hasbro overstretching themselves running multiple lines, or are the FoC designs just unloved by Hasbro's production team?
I think it's less to do with multiple lines, and more to do with the quicker retail cycle on toys these days. Back in the 90s, with Beast Wars or Beast Machines, they only made, what, twenty new molds a year? And they were on the shelves basically forever. Nowadays they probably need to make four or five times that many molds each year just to keep the same amount of retail space. Although with the toy markets slowing down, I wonder how long it'll be before we're back to the 80s/90s level of releases for mass-market stuff.

For my part, MP Grimlock arrived in the mail today! I've been pining for him since 2010 when the first one came out and I never even saw it in stores. Well, I've never seen this one in stores either, but thankfully TRU Canada's gotten their act together in terms of online sales since then!

Haven't had much chance to mess with him so far, but I'm very, very impressed so far. His transformation is simpler than most Generations toys, let alone the other MPs I own, but both modes look great and have good articulation. His robot mode gives me flashbacks to the old Marvel comics and his old-timey t-rex mode makes paleontologists quiver with rage, so all is good! He's also amazingly hefty compared to my other MPs, especially Soundwave, who feels hollow by comparison. The weight actually makes him just a bit awkward to transform.

My only other complaint is that there's a few spots of chipped chrome on his sword.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-17, 01:29 AM   #3839
Clay

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
I think the set is 16.50 GBP in sale which still seemed expensive to me - that's kinda what I would have hoped the standard RRP would have been but no, it cost way more than that before. Let me know if that's of interest at all.

Yeah, that's too much... nearly $30, which is what the original retail price was here in the US. I've picked up some sets on ebay in the past week (culminating in #25), and they've all been $15 or so, shipping included. As it stands now, I'm just trying to fill the bucket up while they're cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Haven't had much chance to mess with him so far, but I'm very, very impressed so far.
Yep, MP Grimlock is on the shortlist for best TF ever if you ask me.

Old 2014-07-17, 07:22 PM   #3840
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

AoE Optimus (the voyager one labelled evasion mode) -- mostly because of the truck photo on the back and due to taking a long lunch out of the office.

I've kind of grown to like movie Prime, who's a completely different character despite Cullen. And I actually kind of like the bright primary red. Apart from the lack of an appropriate hole on the back of the truck for the shotgun to peg into (I'm tempted to drill one), bizarre choice to paint some parts rather than simply mould them in the right colour, asymmetric smokestacks, it appearing he didn't have elbows due to the way he way packed, and being about twice as ****ing expensive as could be justified by any company asides from TRU -- it's barely larger than a deluxe in alt mode -- he's actually quite charming.

edit: Silver and gold sharpie plus some strategic smearing really helps.

Last edited by Denyer; 2014-07-17 at 10:11 PM.
Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote