• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2014-07-24, 11:48 AM   #3861
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
So I have a Shanghai attack Demolishor from Shanghai.
This made me smile.

I've always thought the show-accurate Demolishor decos look weird with a red face in the middle of a mass of white, but as a small toy looks a lot better than it was in the similarly-colored Voyager class exclusive.

As for myself, I got Generations Tailgate, Shrapnel and Tankor, as well as that Optimus Prime/Grimlock two-pack. The one that the Grimlock is a repaint from Cruellock. Cruelgrimlock is a horrid little shitty toy with poor plastic quality. He's also half-spring and generally awkward to handle. Awesome sword, though -- that's going to Drift.

After mucking around with the great Rattrap, Whirl and Scoop, Tankor feels extremely basic. His transformation is probably less complicated than Scoop's little Nebulan buddies, and certainly far less complicated than the secondhand Beast Machines Tankor I have somewhere. It falls short of being a good robot because he's not quite silver enough, and the tank mode feels way too long. It's kind of inexcusable knowing just what Hasbro is capable of doing. It's certainly a far improvement in robot mode terms compared to either 2001 toys, but the tank mode still needs work. Nonetheless he's a really fun little pudgy robot.

Also got Kre-O Long Haul, Shrapnel (who's actually Zaptrap) and Misfire (who has an Autobot insignia for some reason). The sheer difference in redundant pieces I have to keep track on from the wave two Long Haul and the relatively new Shrapnel and Misfire is pretty evident. In either mode Long Haul easily has close to four or five other pieces to keep track of, whereas Misfire and Shrapnel can be displayed in their robot modes with probably just a single additional brick you can easily plug on anywhere. The plastic quality is also pretty stark, since Shrapnel and Misfire don't come out with stress marks.

Last edited by Blackjack; 2014-07-24 at 03:42 PM.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-25, 02:49 PM   #3862
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

My bus was really early this morning, so I had fifteen minutes to kill and spent it wandering around a nearby Walmart. And they had the new Legends! Tailgate looks like sale-fodder at best, but I grabbed a Shrapnel (and it looks like folks agree with me, since there were four or five Tailgates and just the one Insecticon). Haven't had a chance to open it yet, since I'm at work, but at first glance Shrapnel looks cool and Reflector isn't too bad-looking either for an unposeable, tiny brick.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-27, 05:38 PM   #3863
Aero Blade
Keeper of Trivial Knowledge

Somewhere in subspace

Wow, I must say, around my area with the new movie out, it has become damn near impossible to find any real transformers. The market's flooded with non-transforming action figures, the one-step flippers, and lego kits. Despite this, I managed to find a lovely gem going to my Toys R Us, the Platinum Edition Ultra Magnus, completed with gold hammer. And since they were doing a get-a-second half-off, I finally got me Rhinox. Now if only the paperweights get cleared out so I can find the real movie transformers...

Aero Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-27, 06:35 PM   #3864
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Do things you had stashed away for a year+, then came back to your possession, count as "new acquisitions?" If so, I got loads

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-30, 03:23 AM   #3865
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY

Opened up the Takara Lost Age Devastator yesterday (the fancy repaint of the Legends set from 2009) that I've had for about a month now. Paint work is phenomenal, not unlike the "Premium" series from the latter half of the first movie line. But the poor little guys are a bit loose in the joints. Don't know if it's just my set or if that's indicative of mold wear.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-31, 05:33 PM   #3866
electro girl
Tall child, holding a beer.

Robot Republic of Yorkshire.

Today I finally hunted down the AoE 2 packs exclusive to Wal-Mart (Asda over here), y'know the ones with the Beast Wars and Energon toys re-coloured as the new Dinobots. If you're looking they only seem to be at Asda Living Stores not at regular Asdas.

I got all 3 so that's Decepticon Stinger & Dinobot Slug (using one of the old Japanese Beast Wars figures), Optimus Prime & Grimlock (using the Energon Cruellock figure) and Bumblebee & Dinobot Strafe (using Beast Wars Terrorsaur, the one I was looking forward to most).

They were only 8 each plus I really wanted Terrorsaur as a kid so its a great opportunity to pick up some interesting older figures. My biggest gripe was with the single page instructions, fine for all the toys except Slug who had a really trick transformation.

Please refer to attached photo to determine how happy I am with this purchase.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture0003.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	10289  

-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!

Last edited by electro girl; 2014-07-31 at 05:51 PM.
electro girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-31, 06:08 PM   #3867
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

THEY BE AWESOME, MAN! My reaction when I found Strafe was sorta like that.

I really really really (add 50 more reallies) love Terrorstrafe, and he's easily my best purchase in a long, long time. Guileslug was very weak, and my opinion still stands, while Grimcruellock was disappointing but ended up really growing on me.

I really love those batshit insane repaints.

Old 2014-07-31, 06:21 PM   #3868
electro girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post

I really love those batshit insane repaints.
Yeah they really came out of nowhere didn't they?

I read your review and I can't help but agree with you on Slug. I was quite eager to get get him because its an unusual fugure but found him to be such a faff to transform.

Grimlock has no major faults but I absolutely adore the little Optimus he came with, great to play with, he's kinda stolen the show.

Old 2014-07-31, 09:15 PM   #3869
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

For 8, I could be tempted by Slug. Might have a look on my way to work tomorrow

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-31, 09:32 PM   #3870
electro girl

He's certainly not the best of the bunch but for 8 you get a toy that really doesn't fit with the times and that makes him kinda neat.

Old 2014-07-31, 09:43 PM   #3871
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I just like the mould. And I like mouids i like in lots of different colours. Cos I am special. Although from Blackjack's review, Slug isn't quite as lovely as I hoped he might be. I think I need to study him in the flesh. Yes yes yes.

Old 2014-08-01, 10:32 PM   #3872
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

While not strictly a Transformers purchase I found the Death's Head action figure.

He's got a few minor issues but is a solid display piece. His shield can peg onto his back or clip onto his forearm. He can hold his weapons, or you can unpeg his hands and peg the weapons in their place (the handles are molded to fit the socket the same way the hands are).

Thunderwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-02, 12:01 PM   #3873
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

I just bought the Silver Knight Optimus Prime/Fall Of Cybertron Grimlock 2-pack from Target while it was on special yesterday as well as Prime: Beast Hunters Lazerback from Toys 'R' Us.

Destruction is my specialty

Last edited by HeavyArms; 2014-08-02 at 02:14 PM.
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-04, 09:01 AM   #3874
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Doing the shopping this morning at my local Asda and they had an aisle decked out in summer stuff to keep the kids entertained, and there was a bay of TF stuff - including the exclusive AOE Two packs, so I picked up Stinger vs Slug (Not much of a fair fight).

Stinger is a charmless but harmless Legends figure repainted from ROTF Sideways, so has the 'wrong' vehicle alt mode (the horror!). The figure is saved for me by having a pretty fun transformation.

Slug is purple! That's probably the best thing about him, as unfortunately Hasbro have spoilt the figure. As Blackjack mentioned in his review, this is a wonderfully detailed mould and the lack of paint apps really harms the figure. Although I am not too concerned, the peel away section revealling the beast mode's ribs isn't painted which isn't a big deal, but like with the areas around the mouth, looks like it should have been painted. The robot mode isn't too badly harmed by stripping out the paint apps the likes of Guiledart and Triceradon had on this mould. What really harms him is the ugly white paint. Silver would have worked much better.

I am not sure if it is just my version, but here the eye-rolling, tongue moving gimmick on the beast head does not work at all, the tongue looks to be moulded to an additional piece of plastic which stops the whole gimmick (if its still inside there, not that I'll be dismantling this to find out). The missile storage in the beast mode's back no longer works either. For whatever reason, Hasbro have altered the two storage slots so you can no longer slip the missiles inside so you don't lose them, trying to force the missiles in instantly creates stress fractures.

Which brings me neatly to the plastics. Slug is clearly made of the same lower grade plastic common to all Transformers toys since 2011. This means his various joints feel a bit looser than on the previous reuses of this mould, and hes doesn't feel quite as dense and tough either.

Still, not bad for 8.

Old 2014-08-04, 11:12 AM   #3875
electro girl

I found the tongue and missile storage took a bit of extra persuasion but otherwise functioned.

Old 2014-08-04, 03:13 PM   #3876
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

There's been a HUGE drought of new Transformers in my area, and a WHOLE LOT of pegwarming Power Battle Bumblebees, Crosshairs, etc. as well as the overwhelming stash of single-step and flip changers. Add that to the clog of Generations Legends Bumblebees and Primes = boredom every time I go hunting.

To my surprise, a local Wal-Mart had a lonely Generations Tankor sitting on a peg, with no wavemates of his around, nor any other new figures. Since I haven't made a purchase since AOE Crosshairs, I was due for something new.

I was completely out of collecting when the Beast Era came around, and this thread has sparked my interest in older lines that I never paid any attention to. I figured Tankor might be a good place to start, even if he's updated with today's toy designs. Tankor is squatty and bulky, and looks every bit of the smasher/demolisher part. For being such a chunk, he's incredibly articulate and has a fantastic range of motion. The transformation is rather simple - along the same lines of Gen. Scoop, and the 'Cybertronian tank' mode is kind of dumb. I think he's rather fun though!

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-04, 03:58 PM   #3877
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
Add that to the clog of Generations Legends Bumblebees and Primes = boredom every time I go hunting.
Oh yes. Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron and Starscream are a thrice-damned plague.

Old 2014-08-04, 05:48 PM   #3878
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
Oh yes. Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron and Starscream are a thrice-damned plague.
I understand Hasbro's intent of having figures that would sell well to the kids - I can't imagine your run-of-the-mill 8 year old has much interest in a little red guy named Swerve or a black guy named Skrapnel. But it's made it tough for collectors to actually get their hands on anything new with the pegs and pegs full of these guys. Stores aren't going to stock a bunch of new stuff when there's tons of stock still lying around, especially with the recent blast of AOE that isn't selling.

Ugh. First world problems.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-06, 01:09 AM   #3879
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
I understand Hasbro's intent of having figures that would sell well to the kids - I can't imagine your run-of-the-mill 8 year old has much interest in a little red guy named Swerve or a black guy named Skrapnel.
Honestly, I don't know why a little red car named Swerve would be any less appealing to kids in 2014 than he was in 1986. He's not an A-lister by any means but I'm sure any kid who wants to build up a big cast of Transformers would enjoy him.

Got home from work today to find a package at my door, and -- DAMMIT DENYER NOW I NEED TO REMEMBER WHICH BATTLECHARGER IS WHICH!

Ahem. The package from Denyer contained Fracture, who is awesome. I've always quite liked Classics Mirage's mold, but never thought it was a really good fit for the character since Mirage is supposed to be chunky. But redecoed as a random Gobot who's practically a new character to me? It's awesome. The colours work brilliantly, and honestly if I didn't know the figure had been Mirage first I wouldn't be able to tell. It works perfect as Fracture.

The box also contained a few surprises.

G1 Frenzy is even smaller than I expected, and adorable. He has the silver guns, which I think marks him as from the original '84 batch (as opposed to the '86 version with gold guns that came with Ratbat). If that's correct then he'd be the the oldest TF I own that isn't broken, just edging out Warpath and Cosmos.

Snarler's inner robot has really ugly colours, but his beast mode is definitely better than you'd expect considering his vintage. It's sort of cute, actually, and definitely a step up from something like Landmine.

Runa... *wikis* ...muck is definitely simple, but the gimmick works and I think it'd be a great toy for little kids. I'm not sure how I feel about not being able to transform it without using the pull-back motor, though. I have literally never been able to tell these two apart, and expect to be calling him Runabout approximately 45% of the time.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-06, 07:04 AM   #3880
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Nifty. 'Fraid the Frenzy is more recent than that, but they're very good repros. Ratbat still displays brilliantly alongside MP cassettes... Slugfest and Overbite a bit less so.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote