• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2014-08-06, 09:34 AM   #3881
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

I got a big box of Takara AoE Transformers yesterday. Given that Generations were to be Toys 'R Us and Argos exclusives in the UK combined with the abysmal distribution of previous movie lines here, and the increasingly poor Hasbro paint applications I thought I'd just bulk order a load of figures from Robotkingdom (also before my son was born, so allowed for budgeting...).

It actually worked out as 20 GBP per figure inclusive of postage and customs charges. Or you could say 15 GBP per Deluxe, 25 GBP per Voyager (pretty much store prices here) and 45 GBP for the Leader (way below store price). So anywhichway I actually saved money which was a surprise!

In the box was:

- AD-02 Voyager Evasion Mode Optimus Prime
- AD-05 Deluxe Scorn
- AD-07 Deluxe Slug
- AD-11 Deluxe Dispensor
- AD-14 Deluxe Jolt (blue version of DOTM mould with electrowhips)
- AD-16 Deluxe Dino
- AD-20 Leader Black Knight Grimlock
- AD-21 Voyager Hound
- AD-22 Voyager Galvatron
- AD-24 Deluxe Strafe
- AD-25 Deluxe Slash
- AD-26 Deluxe Lockdown

I've only opened Deluxe Lockdown and Deluxe Slug so far.

Lockdown is something of a disappointment. Being one of only two villains to get a Generations toy from AoE, the expectations were high, and I can only hope Galvatron is better. Lockdown looks good in car mode and has a phenomenal head sculpt which is really brought out by the silver and black paint job, while the blue transparent plastic on top of his head evokes the face mask folded back. He's also easy to transform. And the added paint applications on the Takara version make the robot mode more interesting to look at than even the Hasbro stock photos. That being said, the transformation is basically the same as DOTM Roadbuster, stripped down to the absolute basics. This results in a hulking robot mode with bizarre proportions, which could easily have been rectified with a few additional steps. I can't help but think that in the attempt to simplify Transformers, they went too far with the Generations line, and it has damaged Lockdown terribly. On the plus side, though, the one concession to the robot mode that is not purely essential is that the car parts fold up into a streamlined backpack, unlike Roadbuster who is otherwise far superior thanks to the additional steps to give a better likeness. Articulation is very limited as well. Oh, the gun thing can attach on his hand, shoulder or face. Obviously face is best. And it does look cool, although I found it to be a pain to actually attach here. So, yeah, Lockdown - awesome villain, mediocre toy. But let's face it, most people will get him anyway, otherwise who will your massive army of AoE Autobots and Dinobots fight?

Deluxe Slug was far more satisfying, although this could be because I opened him after Lockdown plus he turns into a Triceratops. I actually found the transformation really fun and interesting (although having missed out on Beast Wars, perhaps this is a standard solution I've just not encountered before?). I love both modes, and am chuffed with the articulation. The deep metallic purple is cool. I'm not honestly sure if there is any difference between this and the Hasbro version (?), so am miffed by the negativity surrounding the figure. Maybe I'll be blown away by Scorn, Strafe and Slash... But Voyager Grimlock is much worse than Deluxe Slug in my opinion.

Anyhoo... Will post a few thoughts as I work my way through the rest.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-06, 03:05 PM   #3882
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Nifty. 'Fraid the Frenzy is more recent than that, but they're very good repros. Ratbat still displays brilliantly alongside MP cassettes... Slugfest and Overbite a bit less so.
Oh, he's the modern bootleg? Couldn't tell. Won't feel so bad about taking him apart to sort out the head that doesn't quite want to stay up in robot mode, then.

(Cosmos and Warpath have breathed a sigh of relief, I'm sure.)

Either way, he looks good alongside my (not exactly vintage themselves) Insecticons and Starscream.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-06, 09:43 PM   #3883
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Opened AD-22 Galvatron and AD-24 Strafe this evening.

I'm very pleased to say I am impressed by Galvatron. The idea is very neat indeed. Megatron has consistently had impossible alt modes except in DOTM. Then Galvatron is given a possible truck mode with an impossible robot mode in AoE. Well the designers have done a top job while also meeting the simplification directive. Sure he does have some back kibble in robot mode but overall that's forgivable for a fun and innovative transformation with two in-proportion modes. Although I'm so glad I got the Takara version after seeing the unpainted Hasbro robot mode!

Strafe is cool too. Some transformation but two great modes. Other than the red Pterodactyl eyes I don't know if there's any difference between the Takara and Hasbro releases. I love the effective simplicity though, but would like some heel flaps to help with balance.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Old 2014-08-06, 11:19 PM   #3884
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Munitioner. Tiny but funky. Hmm, still some tweaking to do with the white balance, but as a non-lightbox setup that's not too bad...

http://i.imgur.com/YdOdYaY.jpg

Last edited by Denyer; 2014-08-06 at 11:31 PM.
Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-07, 05:11 PM   #3885
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Honestly, I don't know why a little red car named Swerve would be any less appealing to kids in 2014 than he was in 1986. He's not an A-lister by any means but I'm sure any kid who wants to build up a big cast of Transformers would enjoy him.
Completely agree. Run this one by Hasbro (or rather the stores doing the ordering/stocking) because Primes and Bees are EVERYWHERE!!!

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-07, 05:31 PM   #3886
Blackjack
Micromaster

Agree with that as well -- speaking as someone who's played with nobodies like Payload and Wreckage and Swindle and Elite-One and Air Raid and Crosshairs as a kid and loved them as equally as the Bumblebees and Jazzes and Brawls, I can vouch for that.

Also, numbat, goddamn, that's a big batch of AOE toys.

DINOOOOOOOO

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-08, 07:12 AM   #3887
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

My mad AoE opening bonanza was interrupted yesterday by the arrival (finally!) of my replacement Generations Voyager Roadbuster. My first one, received several weeks ago, had a massive paint error / defect on his face leaving over half of his visor unpainted, and looking terrible. I was keen to check my replacement for issues, and am pleased to report he appears fine although if you hold him up to sunlight you can see that the green paint on the visor is thicker in some parts than others (although this can't be seen unless using the light piping so blatantly). So I'd urge anyone with the luxury of picking Roadbuster up in stores to take a close look at the visor before buying, and if you order one online best check before opening.

Anyway - was he worth the wait and hassle? Yup! (Although I'd rather not do that again via eBay even if it did all work out in the end.)

He's a bit plain without his stickers, so I'd say well worth applying. Trouble is a lot are just slightly too big for where they're intended... You have a choice of standard Autobot symbol or Wrecker symbol for the chest, but I'm disappointed a smaller version of either symbol (at least Autobot) was not included for the off-centre placement he often had. I'll sort that with Reprolabels.

The transformation is very simple, and it's a shame wrist articulation wasn't added, and that his hands are so visible in 4x4 mode. Other than that I have no complaints. Oh, the transformation isn't a complaint - simple's fine, and it makes him all the more playable with.

Both modes look cool, and the armoury allows a lot of room for customising his look. I'd recommend him.

Also items on eBay.
Old 2014-08-08, 09:33 PM   #3888
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Opened AD-14 Deluxe Jolt this evening. I loved this mould from DOTM but never understood the random grey paint job. I loved the ROTF version's paint job but thought the mould was a little half-hearted. This figure combines the two to great effect and adds electrowhips. On the down side it seems a little loose in the joints and the whips are solid plastic.

That said this is surely the definitive version of Jolt until Disney acquire the rights to Transformers and release a stand alone film about this (minor, underappreciated, but) well loved character.

Also items on eBay.
Old 2014-08-08, 11:47 PM   #3889
Blackjack
Micromaster

Mmm, I am eagerly awaiting a Roadbuster to display next to Whirl! And I'm pretty sure I don't have to fix him like I had to Whirl. The guy working for quality control of Generations Voyager class can **** right off -- if it was any other character other than Whirl I would never bother with a toy I have to take apart and fix before I can play with it.

AOE Jolt is extremely tempting for me to buy, but the one in retail right now is more than double the price of a normal deluxe, so I'll wait until the price goes down. I mean, it's Jolt. Only people in this board care about him.

JOOOOOOOOOLT

MY FAVOURITE MOVIE CHARACTER

JOOOOOOOOOLT

I'm personally impressed they even gave him new whips instead of just painting him blue and calling it a day... ditto for Dino. They could've painted him red and call it a day, but they gave him a new head and new weapons. For such a misguided effort to make Dino out of Sideways, they certainly went out of their way.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-09, 11:59 AM   #3890
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

I received Generations Mini-con Assault Team from Amazon last week and Age Of Extinction Slash from Toy 'R' Us on Tuesday.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-09, 10:36 PM   #3891
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Even though the Skrapnel wave seems to have passed me by around here, I suprisingly snagged a Generations Nemesis Prime & Spinister today. They are pretty neat but I haven't messed with them much yet?

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 01:55 PM   #3892
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

I opened AD-02 Voyager Evasion Mode Optimus Prime yesterday. I must say I am impressed by the transformation design, which harks back to the ROTF glory days. However, it is a bit fiddly (I struggle with the arm transformation - they keep scraping off other bits - is there a trick to this?). And the weird elbow articulation really annoys me in robot mode. I certainly wouldn't say he's the best movie Prime ever (ROTF Leader Class holds this for me), but he's second.

Also, although the Takara version has more paint and plastic colours than the Hasbro one, it still feels dull and unfinished (and the silver paint seems to scrape off easily). That said, it's awesome to have a movie version of Prime which turns into a G1 truck mode.

I look forward to getting hold of the exclusive 'rusty' version. (I plumped for the Takara one, but the Hasbro one looks cool too.)

Also items on eBay.

Last edited by numbat; 2014-08-10 at 02:40 PM.
Old 2014-08-10, 03:03 PM   #3893
HotShot81
Triple Changer

Canada, Land of Ice and Snow

I just got back from the States after picking up a huge container filled with bots, ideally for reselling. I did find one gem though for my collection. G1 Slag!

HotShot81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 03:41 PM   #3894
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Opened AD-05 Deluxe Scorn and AD-25 Deluxe Slash today.

I was expecting great things from Scorn, given all the people raving about him online. I didn't think he really met those expectations. His robot mode torso is very long, with just stumpy legs - and I just want to fold those projecting kneepads away, but they're fixed. The transformation is simple but fun, but does leave a big hole in his right arm, and that head is very conspicuous. Also the tail whip thing could have a wire in to make it bendy and poseable at the very least, or be segmented or something other than the straight rubber thing it is. The more metallic colours on the Takara version are nice though. Don't get me wrong - Scorn's not a bad figure, he's just not amazing.

Deluxe Slash on the otherhand... Well, first up of course he's not in the film. So the designers really could have done what they liked. And apparently what they liked was to create an extremely complicated Dinobot. For no reason. After all, there are many well established and effective ways to turn a Velociraptor into a robot. Why reinvent the wheel for no reason? The result is certainly fiddly the first few times - I did not find Slash to be intuitive. The sleep raptor (albeit bigger than all other AoE Deluxe Dinobots) becomes a bulky robot, with lots of interesting spikes all over, evoking the claws. Sadly, the legs are really skinny and attached to a very thin waist (which could have been tweaked easily). And he lacks wrist articulation, leaving his hands in a weird position. And he has a giant rubber tail hanging down his back, with the short dinosaur arms jutting straight out the back. But again, he is at least interesting... Shame about the horrendous metallic blue and neon yellow colourscheme (although there is a lot of paint application detailing also). And weird weird yellow weapons ('Ha-ha! You shall be no match for my yellow feathers!' says Slash to Lockdown). And the dinosaur mode really needs elbow joints for his arms, and articulated toe claws would have been nice. Also, his legs just kinda splay because of the chest / robot shoulder armour kibble. It's also ironic that what must be the smallest Dinobot has the largest Deluxe alt mode.

Scorn is OK, but I wouldn't recommend Slash unless you really like Dinobots.

Also items on eBay.
Old 2014-08-10, 04:30 PM   #3895
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK

So they remove the name Slag because of its negative connotations in the UK, and then they go and name another robot Slash!?!

I bet in the next film there'll be one called Esteedee, or Minger.

Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-11, 09:20 AM   #3896
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Just a few bits and bobs from AA for me...

Generations Roadbuster - nice clickety clackety figure with some good solid plastics and fun accessories, coupled with a neat transformation. He just lacks the bulk/ mass I feel he should have. The wheels on the forearms are unfortunate, as are the flat feet, but he's what I was expecting and I am happy to own him. Will do the stickers later! (There's about 30!)

Generation 2 Jazz - A grail of mine. Paid over what I would have wanted for him buying him from the Spacebridge, but I had to weigh up that he is becoming a hard toy to find and I've been after one for ten years or more. He is in excellent shape too, with just a bit of sticker wear.

Zap - Cheerful Axelerators figure from the '93 Euro line. He was mint on card, but someone dropped him and the bubble split from the card so the dealer was happy to accept offers, which I was pleased about. He's a great, great little toy. Roughly the same size as a Special Teams limb made out of nice chunky plastics and turns into a cool bright orange muscle car.

Stampy Vs Sling - Sonokong 2 pack. This was something of a find for me and very reasonable too. Two great little Scout Class toys.

Not TF related, but I did also manage to find a Death's Head action figure which made me very happy

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-11, 11:08 AM   #3897
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post
So they remove the name Slag because of its negative connotations in the UK, and then they go and name another robot Slash!?!

I bet in the next film there'll be one called Esteedee, or Minger.
Yeah, I thought that too.

Opened AD-16 Deluxe Dino this morning.

I'm pleased to finally complete my cast of DOTM Autobots, even if he is just a generic sportscar (*whisper*Audi*whisper*) rather than a Ferrari. While the Sideways mould did not work at all for the Legends Class version of Dino, the Deluxe actually works quite nicely. The head sculpt is gorgeous, and the addition of the blades is cool. The paintjob is also very nice, and not so garrish as the Sideways version. I never picked up ROTF Deluxe Sideways, so this is my first experience with the mould as well. Those feet aren't half rubbish, but I love the effort the designers went to hiding two car wheels and using a false one and a buzz-saw on his hands. Not sure you'd see the same effort in AoE figures... Of course, Dino towers over the standard AoE Deluxes.

Anyway, I'm very happy with Dino.

Also items on eBay.
Old 2014-08-12, 05:58 PM   #3898
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

AA Haul!:

Buster and Trench convention exclusive version: Brilliant box. Robot modes look fun on the shelf. Horrible toys in every other way.

G2 Sideswipe: After firmly saying for years I wouldn't double dip on an MP mould I not only do so, but of a character I already have an MP of. But he's brilliant, the way he's been played fully to the hilt (an ammo belt would have been nice though) to make the most G2 comic toy possible and the black really works on the best of the car MP's to date. Well worth owning twice.

Classics Roadbuster: Huge fun, appropiately he doesn't feel like a Transformer with his stickers and his arms that make a clicking noise when you move them, plus he's insanely over armed. I just can't decide if he should go on my new Last Stand of the Wreckers Wreckers shelf as he was in the flashback... I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally want a Whirl now.

Third Party Ironfist: Just so dainty! Sweet little toy that looks exactly right and is perfect to pose looking up in slight awe at classics Springer. It also means I have the full good guy cast of LSOTW as well now! Though Impcator will go in a bin when a decent third party one comes out.

Third party Fortress Maximus: In the Brave Maximus colours, but he's just IDW Maximus really. Obviously during the Remain in Light text story he just changed his paint job to celebrate his new job.

I wasn't sure about this considering the price and the alt modes looked awful, but Denyer told it was worth it. And it was worth it. A lovely chunky toy that perfectly captures the IDW look and the tank looks reasonable when it's fully tooled up. It's actually amazing he can stand and hold that gun without you needing to put him on the stand.

Shame there's no leg guns though.

Animated Blitzwing: Someone who was shifting stuff at the bar had this as their last unloved toy and I took pity for a fiver. You can see why no one else would bite, but I feel a strange sympathy for him.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-12, 06:55 PM   #3899
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

My AA haul:

Legends Trailcutter: The one that came out a few years ago. Very decent effort and nicely chunky robot mode---too bad I had him for like 2 days because he was bought as a present.

Legends/cyberverse Prime Ratchet: Another fun one. Simple, gets the job done. Had him for a day since he was bought as a present as well.

Cyberverse Commander Prime Bulkhead: Neat. Kind of over complicated transformation compared to the other two, but then he's a class over them. Present giveaway as well, so limited time. Like that his and Ratchet's ports mean interchangeable weapons.

Generations Orion Pax: Given by Denyer. Kind of my cup of figure, although surprisingly small. Nicely poseable although a tad scary to unlock [upper torso/shoulders/wheel have very tight tolerances]. A bit scared since I read many of them breaking at the shoulders/wheels, and he's got two oddly placed nubs on his shoulder swing out panels, but handled with care he's very fun.

Binaltech Asterisk Broadblast: Still an ace figure after many years, but he pales in comparison to the Skids' [plural] I used to own. Joints are kind of loose plus he doesn't lock well in either mode.

Binaltech BT20 Argent Meister: In my humble opinion, this release and Alt. Mirage were the highlights of the line. Perfect silver/whiteish finish, excellent contract with the dark paint used throughout, flat silver used for limbs works great. Joints aren't as smooth as my BT08 used to be, but he's ace. Best looking version of the mould.

Kind of iffed that both of these were loose-ish with faulty locking parts out of their MISB package, but they were bought specifically to be office toys.

MMC Talon: While dudes in the US at tfw2005 bitch and moan about BBTS' shipment, I got mine for a bargain price at AA. Nice, stiff joints, great HEFT [seriously, for an all plastic toy, he's great] and the wings with the hawk cap really add to the image. Will get the rest of the team, out of order, at my own pace to compliment him. Tolerances with handheld daggers and the ports all over his body are a tad crazy though...it's as if the daggers' ports are bigger on purpose than all the ports! Decent and thick ratchet joints all around.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-12, 10:08 PM   #3900
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Shame there's no leg guns though.
That's mind boggling, isn't it? The one physical feature of IDW Fort Max that kept getting mentioned, and they manage to leave it out of the figure.

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote