• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2014-09-05, 08:36 AM   #3941
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Picked up the Tesco / Target exclusive set of Silver Knight Optimus Prime (DOTM Deluxe Prime random blinged-up uber-chromed redeco) and Grimlock (Generations Voyager FoC Grimlock G1 redeco). Thanks for the info Dalek! Not opened them yet, but really love the Grimlock deco - perfect Classics Grimlock!

But what's with all these versions of 'Silver Knight' Prime? Stores are full of them. Seems every line has one...

A few unreported things:

Finally opened AD-11 Deluxe Dispensor - I was really excited about him. I love the Mountain Dew-bot in the first film. It's just plain hilarious, and the design rocks to boot. The redeco of TFTM Payload was inspired, and he even has a vending machine effectively painted on his back. He's 'Mood Whiplash' rather than 'Mountain Dew' but that's fine - the style is otherwise identical. The new head sculpt is great too, although the detail is lost a bit under green paint. Unfortunately the pop can missile launcher hand that has been added is genuinely an addition, and not part of the figure with nowhere to store (except pegged to the side) in truck mode. Fortunately the knees can be bent backwards to allow a chicken-leg look. Overall, the robot mode is a brilliant likeness, and the alt mode has more play value than a vending machine would. The biggest downside is inherent to the mould - that claw thing! It annoys me so much to have the giant level hanging out his back. I'd much rather he didn't have a chest-claw at all.

Both him and Dino has reminded me how much movie toys have changed over the years. Dispensor is fun, but messy - the designers were clearly trying new things. Dino (ROTF Sideways) has two awesome modes, but the transformation is bordering on the insane (and is in no way the most complex of ROTF moulds), and the robot mode does have an awful lot of kibble that makes him back-heavy (in many ways he's a complicated shell-former). Then you have DOTM which was very hit-and-miss. And finally AoE which has very-much simplified the transformations, which works in some cases and is a disaster in others, although the robot modes are generally more streamlined with less kibble. Size-wise they've definitely decreased in mass, although Dispensor is of a similar height to many AoE figures (Dino towers over AoE and DOTM Deluxes alike).

I also got a load of stickers from Rebrolabels:

- Generations Metroplex: I have the Takara version, and was quite happy with their stickers. However, the Reprolabels set really helps bring out more detail, and provides those all-important windows. Took a while to apply, and involved the use of my invertebrate dissection kit as usual, but was so worth it.

- Wreckers insignias: Probably the most fanboy thing I've ever bought or done, but damn-it, after Generations Roadbuster came with a Wrecker insignia I just wanted to badge up my team of hardcases. Plenty left to add as the team grows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
MMC Black Sixshot: Wow. What a way to turn a fan into a hater. Thanks. I don't know who the f*ck deserves to be shot first, the person who designed this thing or the f*cker who designed the instructions.
Is he really that bad? I have so wanted one in the G1 colours since he was released, and am this close to trying to track one down. I love the character and the toy had this mythic quality as a kid - the ultimate Transformer alongside Fort Max (for different reasons), but both unattainable in the UK (not that I could have afforded either anyway I'd guess!). I am just so reluctant to buy a third party Transformer (I have the Classics Ultra Magnus add-on, and various WSTs which are a very mixed bag, and the Legends G1 Bumblebee which is pretty poor...). I'm so close on Sixshot, Ironfist, Twin-Twist, Top-Spin, IDW Fort Max and Skullcruncher though... The money and fear of not liking the style or potential quality issues (and so massive disappointment!) keeps me from clicking the order button ever though... I suppose if I got a couple and they were good, I may build up the courage to get the third party Menasor but the idea of shelling out that much on what could be a disaster is impossible to go through with.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-05, 12:31 PM   #3942
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Talking

I had a highly original and almost certainly not done by anybody else idea of how to pose mine:

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/...760576/photo/1

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-05, 05:05 PM   #3943
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

I love it. It's an homage to Moon Boy and Devil Dinosaur, right?

Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-06, 07:54 PM   #3944
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
Is he really that bad? I have so wanted one in the G1 colours since he was released, and am this close to trying to track one down. I love the character and the toy had this mythic quality as a kid - the ultimate Transformer alongside Fort Max (for different reasons), but both unattainable in the UK (not that I could have afforded either anyway I'd guess!). I am just so reluctant to buy a third party Transformer (I have the Classics Ultra Magnus add-on, and various WSTs which are a very mixed bag, and the Legends G1 Bumblebee which is pretty poor...). I'm so close on Sixshot, Ironfist, Twin-Twist, Top-Spin, IDW Fort Max and Skullcruncher though... The money and fear of not liking the style or potential quality issues (and so massive disappointment!) keeps me from clicking the order button ever though... I suppose if I got a couple and they were good, I may build up the courage to get the third party Menasor but the idea of shelling out that much on what could be a disaster is impossible to go through with.
Well, to be perfectly fair, on my second go at him he's borderline perfect----just avoid the instructions and watch video reviews.

He's very neat in that he has a LOT of moving and interlocking parts all over, but if you mess up the order while transforming him, you have to untab everything and start over.

And you're just in luck---just today MMC unveiled a third, refined, more G1 version of the mould [new chest wings, helmet head and guns] with some extra paint apps. I am happy with my black one, but had I bought the original colours, I'd be pissed.

Avoid the 3rd party Menasor---way too fiddly, over-engineered and scary to tab together.

Will get some pictures when I'm back home tomorrow, but Sixshot is definitely worth the cash. He's bigger than MP10 and 11, and more articulated than them. Individual fingers!!!

Quite possibly going full on MMC for me.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-06, 09:21 PM   #3945
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Definitely going with MMC for Impactor, and have been impressed with their production values so far.

Quote:
I'm so close on Sixshot, Ironfist, Twin-Twist, Top-Spin, IDW Fort Max and Skullcruncher though...
Can vouch for Gauntlet, Apex/Geminus and Warden. Skullcruncher -- if you mean the Fansproject one, their other headmasters are decent.

Not heard good things about the FP Menasor, although I have got the Wildrider just because I liked him. The alt mode being a real concept car is a particularly nice touch.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-06, 10:19 PM   #3946
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Question

I like my Fansproject Menasor just fine. What regarding it are people complaining about?

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-07, 08:38 AM   #3947
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Most of the complaints seem to be about Diesel's transformation.

Old 2014-09-07, 02:47 PM   #3948
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
just today MMC unveiled a third, refined, more G1 version of the mould [new chest wings, helmet head and guns] with some extra paint apps. I am happy with my black one, but had I bought the original colours, I'd be pissed.
Apparently they're doing it to pre-empt and compete with a KO of the original?

Old 2014-09-07, 06:13 PM   #3949
electro girl
Tall child, holding a beer.

Robot Republic of Yorkshire.

Quote:
Picked up the Tesco / Target exclusive set of Silver Knight Optimus Prime (DOTM Deluxe Prime random blinged-up uber-chromed redeco) and Grimlock (Generations Voyager FoC Grimlock G1 redeco). Thanks for the info Dalek! Not opened them yet, but really love the Grimlock deco - perfect Classics Grimlock!
I picked them up today on your recommendation. I wasn't planning to but I underestimated just how cool they look so I quickly changed my tune about not wanting to own 2 FoC Grimlocks.

However as far as I know my toy buying ban is still in place so they're hiding in the boot of my car but seen as my parents will still be at work when my shift finishes I plan to smuggle them into the house tomorrow.

-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
electro girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-07, 08:32 PM   #3950
Clay

Murray, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Most of the complaints seem to be about Diesel's transformation.
Hmm. The one hinge in the middle is a bit dicey, but with a little care it should never be a problem. But the rest of it? It's just a thorough transformation scheme. It's kind of like the legs for [Brakedown] and [Wildrider], but all over and the figure is bigger.

Anyway, I finally got around to opening the Rattrap and Tankor that I got from BBTS back in May. Tankor is neat, but too brightly colored to match his show model. He's also an incredibly niche product now... are people really clamoring for Beast Machine updates? I mean, I understand the potential in being to create the show cast in scale, but I don't recall Tankor being one of the big offenders. That, and the original Tankor was more or less on the mark design-wise, correct? I don't think I ever had one of the originals to compare it to.

Rattrap is awesome. Plastic feels a little flimsy in the thinner parts of the beast skin, but he's outstanding in design.

Old 2014-09-08, 07:26 AM   #3951
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Well, I've ordered Perfect Effect Warden as my third party jumping in point, as well as the Maketoys add-on for my YOS Omega Supreme. If this goes well I may try and get the third party Menasor, although it would be likely to be my last Transformer for the foreseeable future.

I opened the Tesco / Target Silver Knight Prime and G1 FoC Grimlock set this morning, after a weekend working. I'm very pleased inflatable dalek drew the set to my addition - it came out of the blue, but that G1 deco of Voyager FoC Grimlock is amazing, and blows the original out of the magma! He looks so much better in both modes, and is as close to a perfect Classics Grimlock as we're ever likely to see. It's also a total win with chrome use (Hasbro do seem a bit hit and miss since they rediscovered the 'chrome' button in their manufacturing plant). I absolutely adore this Grimlock!

Silver Knight Prime? Again I ask - what's the deal with all these random white and grey and red redecos of Primes in all AoE lines? You'd think Prime spent major screentime looking like this or that it was pivotal to the plot for Hasbro to try to shift what is an extremely bland colourscheme on their lead character.

Anyway, I am actually quite impressed by the uber-chromed truck mode, altough why Hasbro didn't chrome the very rear (it's just grey plastic) is beyond me. They clearly hit their manufacturing plant into chrome overdrive for this one! It does look like an exclusive, in that the finish is very impressive, although quite random - more like one of these Takara lucky draw versions, than a more-or-less mainstream retail exclusive. So it has the premium feel. At the same time, the extensive chrome parts make him quite stiff to transform, while feeling brittle. And the robot mode deco is a bit bland, using a lot of grey plastic alongside the chrome. The DOTM Deluxe Prime mould remains pretty good and fits fine in AoE Generations (although these are only available in Toys 'R Us and Argos, depending on size class, in the UK). The fact the truck nose just hangs off his back is annoying though - I still don't understand why it doesn't fold down at all. So, yeah, I have mixed feelings about the DOTM Deluxe Prime Silver Knight redeco - it's been finished to a high standard unusual for exclusives or mainline toys, but is totally random.

On the plus side, instead of a stupid MechTech weapon, Prime comes with a sword (and it's silver rather than garish!) - I'll definitely dig out my original DOTM Deluxe Prime and get him riding Takara's Leader Black Knight Grimlock with the sword in hand later.

All-in-all this is a surprisingly high standard exclusive, with what is likely to be the definitive Classics Grimlock (for me at least) and a random Prime finished to a high standard.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Old 2014-09-08, 11:49 AM   #3952
Vin Ghostal
Gave you a concussion

Making his summer residence in Alexandria, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Tankor is neat, but too brightly colored to match his show model. He's also an incredibly niche product now... are people really clamoring for Beast Machine updates?
Hasbro might be trying to include all the subgroups/shows/continuities/whatever in the Generations line at least once. Tankor might just be the Beast Machines representative. I was similarly baffled by Armada Starscream and the Minicon combiner (was anyone calling for either? wouldn't characters like Brawn, a Sharkticon or Broadside more amuse the unwashed masses?), but upon further review, that's a whole series and a whole subgroup checked off the list, sort of like how Sky-Byte can represent RID. Have we seen any toys from Energon or Cybertron? Does Hot Shot count? I cannot think of other lines that have been excluded.

Quote:
Silver Knight Prime? Again I ask - what's the deal with all these random white and grey and red redecos of Primes in all AoE lines? You'd think Prime spent major screentime looking like this or that it was pivotal to the plot for Hasbro to try to shift what is an extremely bland colourscheme on their lead character.
I have asked this question multiple times on multiple boards and have yet to receive a satisfactory answer. If it were "battle damage" or "rusty" Optimus getting thrown into every single sub-line 55 times, I could understand, since that was the justification for the inexplicably not-at-all-damaged-but-still-a-fantastic-toy Evasion Mode Voyager Prime, but no. "Silver Knight" Prime is all shiny and gaudy in every incarnation, and I don't understand why. I can't make heads or tails of it. I especially love the fact that one of the numbered toys in the 30/30 Anniversary line is not only Silver Knight Prime, but SMASH AND CHANGE SILVER KNIGHT PRIME WHAT THE **** PEOPLE YOU MADE ME BUY THIS BECAUSE I WANT TO HAVE ALL 30 BUT WE'LL BOTH REGRET THIS FIVE YEARS FROM NOW AND I'M GOING TO GO HAVE SOME HAAGEN DAZS TO MAKE MYSELF FEEL BETTER EVEN THOUGH IT'S 8 AM BUT I EARNED THIS SO SHUT UP

Last edited by Vin Ghostal; 2014-09-08 at 02:00 PM.
Vin Ghostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-08, 01:08 PM   #3953
electro girl
Tall child, holding a beer.

Robot Republic of Yorkshire.

Opened my Silver Knight Prime and Grimlock after work this morning. Just so much chrome.

Vin is right, gaudy is the defining trait of his colour scheme but for me that just gives the set amazing kitsch and camp value and I love that. "Look at this gaudy crap, I must have it!" is normally something I say of older toys.

-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
electro girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-08, 02:05 PM   #3954
Clay

Murray, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin Ghostal View Post

I have asked this question multiple times on multiple boards and have yet to receive a satisfactory answer. If it were "battle damage" or "rusty" Optimus getting thrown into every single sub-line 55 times, I could understand, since that was the justification for the inexplicably not-at-all-damaged-but-still-a-fantastic-toy Evasion Mode Voyager Prime, but no. "Silver Knight" Prime is all shiny and gaudy in every incarnation, and I don't understand why. I can't make heads or tails of it. I especially love the fact that one of the numbered toys in the 30/30 Anniversary line is not only Silver Knight Prime, but SMASH AND CHANGE SILVER KNIGHT PRIME WHAT THE **** PEOPLE YOU MADE ME BUY THIS BECAUSE I WANT TO HAVE ALL 30 BUT WE'LL BOTH REGRET THIS FIVE YEARS FROM NOW AND I'M GOING TO GO HAVE SOME HAAGEN DAZS TO MAKE MYSELF FEEL BETTER EVEN THOUGH IT'S 8 AM BUT I EARNED THIS SO SHUT UP
Lol.

Can't dig it up as I'm on my phone, but the silver Knight stuff comes from early concept work as a powered up version of prime for the finale. Didn't make it to the movie, but I guess that the toys were already planned.

Old 2014-09-08, 07:41 PM   #3955
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Lol.

Can't dig it up as I'm on my phone, but the silver Knight stuff comes from early concept work as a powered up version of prime for the finale. Didn't make it to the movie, but I guess that the toys were already planned.
Please link it later - I'm really interested in seeing it!

Yeah, gaudy gaudy gaudy, but looks flash and exclusive for it.

That said other Silver Knight Primes I saw from other sublines were just plain grey, which surely doesn't draw the kids in.

Didn't Hasbro make the AoE Dinobots all colourful to improve sales with kids? Yet the actual movie CGI Dinobots are more colourful than most if the versions of a Silver Knight Prime. I just don't get Hasbro.

(Also - where's Generations AoE Deluxe Stinger?!?! Screw Silver Fox Prime, we need more Decepticons and it's not like there's a shortage of them in AoE!)

Also items on eBay.
Old 2014-09-08, 08:41 PM   #3956
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I have two Beast Machines Sonic Attack Jets! Because modern transformers are rubbish and these are AWESOME!!!!

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-08, 10:21 PM   #3957
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
I have two Beast Machines Sonic Attack Jets! Because modern transformers are rubbish and these are AWESOME!!!!
I applaud your taste, good sir!

Do you own any versions of the mold? Because if you like it, you really should check out Universe Skywarp.

Quote:
That said other Silver Knight Primes I saw from other sublines were just plain grey, which surely doesn't draw the kids in.

Didn't Hasbro make the AoE Dinobots all colourful to improve sales with kids? Yet the actual movie CGI Dinobots are more colourful than most if the versions of a Silver Knight Prime. I just don't get Hasbro.
I'd wager it's a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing, rather than some sort of overly-complicated, incomprehensible scheme that only the Hasbro marketing wonks can understand.

Quote:
(Also - where's Generations AoE Deluxe Stinger?!?! Screw Silver Fox Prime, we need more Decepticons and it's not like there's a shortage of them in AoE!)
Speculation is that they couldn't get a license to make the car that Stinger turns into.

Which is just silly, in my opinion. Why are they negotiating toy rights separately instead of it being part of the contract that lets them use the car in the movie?

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-08, 10:29 PM   #3958
Clay

Murray, KY

Quote:
Please link it later - I'm really interested in seeing it!
Here we go: http://joshnizzi.com/tf4.html

They're labelled "Optimus Prime Power Up" and "Optimus Knight". Glad they abandoned the idea... changing the paint is really nothing compared to riding a giant robot t-rex!

Old 2014-09-08, 11:51 PM   #3959
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Thanks Clay! I agree, riding a giant robot T-Rex is much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Speculation is that they couldn't get a license to make the car that Stinger turns into.
That didn't stop them making ROTF Sideways...

Seems a shame to not have a Stinger with a generic supercar more given Deluxe Bumblebee was clearly designed to be reshelled as his Decepticon counterpart.

Also items on eBay.
Old 2014-09-09, 03:55 AM   #3960
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I applaud your taste, good sir!Do you own any versions of the mold? Because if you like it, you really should check out Universe Skywarp.
I've been after a couple of these for ages to go with Jetstorm (I does like the occasional army-builder) so I am really pleased to have landed a pair of the fellows.

I used to own the Skywarp repaint, but I dunno, it just didn't quite work for me. I think its because the mould is too idiosyncratic to be passed off as anyone else. I kind of like the RiD Storm Jet repaint, but the Beast Machines blues are where its at for me

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote