• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2015-11-13, 04:57 PM   #4841
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK
Talking

I prefer double entendres, 'spesh in a thread about toys. Have you seen the size of the hammer on my Magnus?

[Edit]I found when looking for the above image that Bottom has been celebrated with a proper bench. Good on Hammersmith & Fulham council.

Last edited by Auntie Slag; 2015-11-13 at 07:40 PM.
Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-13, 05:44 PM   #4842
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post
I prefer double entendres, 'spesh in a thread about toys. Have you seen the size the hammer on my Magnus?

[Edit]I found when looking for the above image that Bottom has been celebrated with a proper bench. Good on Hammersmith & Fulham council.
Nah, it was actually Shockwave who sorted that.

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-14, 12:48 PM   #4843
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
Hey, I still use dedicated MP3 players rather than my smartphone.

When I decided to get out of the kiddy pool and got an Android phone I kept my old iPhone, stripped most of the apps off of it, and use that as an mp3 player. I'll be honest I did it mostly because I listen to a lot of audio books on it and I like the way iTunes handles them (namely I can leave off in the middle of a file, listen to something else, and come back to my spot).

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-14, 03:11 PM   #4844
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

As far as I can see, smartphones are still the kiddy option for anyone that wants at least a week of usage out of a phone or MP3 player without thinking about charging (or at least a month out of a reading device). At least there've been some advances in rapid charging lately even if capacity by volume is still piss poor.

It's a worthy enough gimmick on Soundwave, but I'd actually forgotten about it at the point I clicked buy-it-now. Vaguely on topic, Reprolabels have just arrived so he'll hopefully look smarter in a bit.

Also got the missile kit for Doubledealer, and have ordered a second Blades for the Wreckers-Survivors-Firestormers collective... will probably get a CW Hound when they're out, never been particularly big on the character and if it's going to get customised at all there's little point in going for Gundog. Can't decide if Max BB or Wolfang will work best for Carnivac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderwav
leave off in the middle of a file
Yeah, it is amazing how few MP3 players provide in-file resume as standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
the "I want to hold my ENTIRE music collection on ONE device" target
And despite 256Gb flash drives now being quite common (and SSD being incredibly so) portable devices seem to have given up. Can't say I've been looking over the last few years, though, as a Clip+ with Rockbox basically does everything.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-16, 09:38 PM   #4845
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

RIGHT I HAZ THE TRACKS.

He's... yeah. Not amazing. Let's go with that. The wing mirrors don't clip into place properly, the wings are quite intrusive in car mode, you can see his robot head through the windows, etc etc.

He feels really light and cheap and flimsy. He's not as bad as I expected post-Cliffy, but he's definitely "stick in the back of the display" calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
The backpack just doesn't mount well at all, just being a hollow box hanging off his back like something from Classics or some other percentage line.
It does clip on, sort of. The tab inside the wheel arches clips into the gap in the hinge on the folded-in doors. You've got to force it a bit to get it across the threshold, and it doesn't really sit brilliantly, but it does hold the backpack in place. I can take a pic if needed to show what you should be aiming for.

Of course it then creates the situation where the backpack seems mounted really high behind his head, but we're into damage limitation here.

Quote:
EDIT: Oh, and the detail lines on his face make him look like he's crying like a chibi in a substandard anime.
God yes. Plus the black lines around the Autobot symbol on his chest. And those feet are shit. It's not a massive gap, but there's daylight coming through his ankles, which considering it's currently night time is quite the achievement.

It's a mercy that it's only Tracks. Imagine if this were a character anybody actually gave a shit about.

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-17, 07:44 PM   #4846
HotShot81
Triple Changer

Canada, Land of Ice and Snow

I got my hands on Combiner Wars Legend sized Skywarp!

Now I have all 3 of the seekers at Legend sized. Why do I feel Starscream might regret this.

HotShot81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-18, 03:56 AM   #4847
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

Kre-O Battlechanger Starscream Now I'm only missing Ratchet/Soundwave and the triple changers.

RiD Custom Kreon Bumblebee I saw two and bought them both. It's the new torso design, so not all the parts will interchange freely with my other sets. But, the head with a facemask tampograph should come in handy. One for the original kreon, one for Clench.

Kre-O AoE Lockdown Air Raid This is probably the most redundant Kre-O set I've bought (other than actual duplicates). I already have the custom kreons of AoE Hound and Lockdown, and the dinosaur is pretty similar to the one that came with the Galvatron Factory Battle set.

Lockdown's ship is interesting, in that the wings fold down to form a sort of tower when it lands, so the grabber thing underneath can still be used. The grabber has a magnet which can grab the magnets attached to the kreon backpacks, but it's not really necessary, since it's a grabber with fingers that can hold a kreon.

Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-18, 06:56 AM   #4848
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
It does clip on, sort of. The tab inside the wheel arches clips into the gap in the hinge on the folded-in doors. You've got to force it a bit to get it across the threshold, and it doesn't really sit brilliantly, but it does hold the backpack in place. I can take a pic if needed to show what you should be aiming for.
Ahhh, bad phrasing on my part. Yeh, I got that, it just looks so clumsy and far up I was half-hoping I'd missed something dumb.

Quote:
It's a mercy that it's only Tracks. Imagine if this were a character anybody actually gave a shit about.
This is basically my attitude. Even done perfectly he'd be a line-up filler for me, and while it is annoying and a little bit worrying how many basic design fails there are on him he's probably the guy from the cars I care the least about; rather him than Hound or Inferno or Skids.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-18, 08:45 AM   #4849
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Ahhh, bad phrasing on my part. Yeh, I got that, it just looks so clumsy and far up I was half-hoping I'd missed something dumb.
Ah yeah. Far as I can tell, it's meant to be like that. Which is just depressing.

Know what you mean about missing things. Took me till my third iteration of the mould before I figured out how the Datsun's chest assembly clips into place.

Old 2015-11-18, 01:28 PM   #4850
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

BLUE BLUESTREAK

Everyone's third favourite Datzun looks pretty sharp in the blue, and after all this time of owning Prowl I think I've finally got a handle on the leg. There's a something ironic about this being the guy who comes with the toy missile launchers when Bluestreak's character model is the basis for the ones built into the toy, making the extras a bit redundant feeling.

At some point I'd forgotten about folding the headlights under the hood on Prowl, so it was nice this reminded me (though it makes almost no difference to the height of the head, so presumably it's just to make the robot closer to the animation look?).

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-18, 03:15 PM   #4851
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Headlights? Either you mean the wing mirrors, or I'm reeeeeeally doing transforming my Datsun MPs wrong!

Congrats, btw. Nicest MP I own, I think. In a fight for the title with Soundwave (& minions) and Wheeljack, anyhow.

Wreck and Rule!
Old 2015-11-18, 04:28 PM   #4852
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I loves my my Blue Bluestreak, too. Need to actually write that review soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
There's a something ironic about this being the guy who comes with the toy missile launchers when Bluestreak's character model is the basis for the ones built into the toy, making the extras a bit redundant feeling.
Nah, he's supposed to be a toy homage so it makes perfect sense. They'd absolutely be out of place on the show-accurate version of the character, but I'd have been disappointed if a Diaclone homage hadn't come with them.

Quote:
At some point I'd forgotten about folding the headlights under the hood on Prowl, so it was nice this reminded me (though it makes almost no difference to the height of the head, so presumably it's just to make the robot closer to the animation look?).
Assuming you're talking about the side mirror bits like RnR is guessing, I think they fold out of the way mainly to give the arms a bit more freedom of movement.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-18, 04:39 PM   #4853
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I loves my my Blue Bluestreak, too. Need to actually write that review soon...

Nah, he's supposed to be a toy homage so it makes perfect sense. They'd absolutely be out of place on the show-accurate version of the character, but I'd have been disappointed if a Diaclone homage hadn't come with them.
The colour scheme is a toy homage sure, but the toy's design is still the animation model. He doesn't look like the blue version of the original toy, he looks like the chap from the cartoon in blue, making it having the toy missiles look a bit odd at least.

Quote:
Assuming you're talking about the side mirror bits like RnR is guessing, I think they fold out of the way mainly to give the arms a bit more freedom of movement.
I know what I mean.

Old 2015-11-18, 05:12 PM   #4854
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Quote:
I know what I mean.
That's a relief, because no-one else does!

Wreck and Rule!
Old 2015-11-18, 05:13 PM   #4855
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

Quote:
The colour scheme is a toy homage sure, but the toy's design is still the animation model. He doesn't look like the blue version of the original toy, he looks like the chap from the cartoon in blue, making it having the toy missiles look a bit odd at least.
He's actually not, though! They replaced some of the toon-accurate Bluestreak parts with Prowl's (the head and the crotch) to make him look more like the toy, so they were definitely aiming for the toy over the cartoon in this case. The launchers are just another part of that, since they're another detail that makes him look more like the toy and less like the cartoon character.

It's mostly subtle differences, yes, but I like that they went the extra mile to ensure that all of the five Datsuns they've put out are at least a bit different from each other instead of doing straight repaints.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-18, 08:05 PM   #4856
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Schooled.

Old 2015-11-18, 11:28 PM   #4857
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Plus there isn't a Z in 'Datsun' either [/benjamin massing]

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-19, 12:48 PM   #4858
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

You know who else spells it with a "Z"?

YOUR MUM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
He's actually not, though! They replaced some of the toon-accurate Bluestreak parts with Prowl's (the head and the crotch) to make him look more like the toy, so they were definitely aiming for the toy over the cartoon in this case. The launchers are just another part of that, since they're another detail that makes him look more like the toy and less like the cartoon character.

It's mostly subtle differences, yes, but I like that they went the extra mile to ensure that all of the five Datsuns they've put out are at least a bit different from each other instead of doing straight repaints.
Aw, I hadn't really compared him that closely to my Prowl and am now mildly sad I didn't go for one of the versions with the more distinctive body.

Though if he's basically Prowl's animation model in blue that makes the toy missiles even more incongruous!

Old 2015-11-19, 01:05 PM   #4859
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Quote:
Aw, I hadn't really compared him that closely to my Prowl and am now mildly sad I didn't go for one of the versions with the more distinctive body.
This is what happens when you buy toys for no other reason than them being a homage to something that never existed in the first place.

Old 2015-11-19, 01:08 PM   #4860
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
This is what happens when you buy toys for no other reason than them being a homage to something that never existed in the first place.
To be honest I've never really paid enough attention to Bluestreak to know you could come up with a "More cartoon accurate" head sculpt that wasn't still just exactly the same as Prowl's.