• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2015-11-19, 01:23 PM   #4861
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

I've not spotted any real difference, but if anybody here's going to have noticed a three degree change in the angle of the cheeks it's Warcry.

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-19, 04:14 PM   #4862
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Talking

It's worse than you think! I don't even own the show-accurate Bluestreak and yet I still somehow know about the differences!

Honestly, even though the remolding is actually pretty obvious if you look at pics of them side-by-side, I hadn't noticed until someone told me to look for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Aw, I hadn't really compared him that closely to my Prowl and am now mildly sad I didn't go for one of the versions with the more distinctive body.
Yay, I've slightly ruined dalek's fun! Mission accomplished!

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-19, 05:21 PM   #4863
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
It's worse than you think! I don't even own the show-accurate Bluestreak and yet I still somehow know about the differences!

Honestly, even though the remolding is actually pretty obvious if you look at pics of them side-by-side, I hadn't noticed until someone told me to look for it.
Well I've just done a comparison of mine, and other than the horns being different sizes, the crests being different and Bluestreak having a chin, they're virtually indistinguishable so whatever.

Old 2015-11-19, 05:35 PM   #4864
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Talking

DOUBLE POST BECAUSE **** YOU THAT'S WHY

I have MMC Spartan IMPACTOR.

All I can say is that he's not very accurate. I've had him quarter of an hour and he hasn't died once.

Old 2015-11-19, 07:16 PM   #4865
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Talking

Oooh wow, wonder if that's what the postman's redelivering Saturday? Best assume it is and get REALLY REALLY REALLY EXCITED!!!!!

The one TF toy I get before everyone else and it's ****ing Tracks.[/1st world problems]

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-19, 08:04 PM   #4866
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I has got Beast Wars II Hellscream!!! He is megar!!!! I love the Cyberbeasts or whatever they are called

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-19, 08:50 PM   #4867
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
I has got Beast Wars II Hellscream!!! He is megar!!!!
No, he's a deluxe.

I feel dirty for making that joke...

Seriously though, nice find. I'd love to get a Hellscream. Or a Universe Overbite, same basic nonono no more size class jokes I'm better than that toy really, just with a Decepticon tampograph or two. I think Takara did a better job of capturing the "cyborg beast" feel with these guys than Kenner did with a lot of the designed as cyborgs from scratch TM2s.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-20, 12:22 AM   #4868
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

So are all you clowns getting your Spartan before me?

Just as long as it's Masterforce pre-orders as a whole than just me.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-20, 09:12 AM   #4869
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:

Well I know of at least one person who ordered it from the same place as me who hasn't even had a despatch email yet (mine came through Sunday).

So I think it's just that they're sending them out in descending order of recipient awesomeness.

You'll get yours in the summer.

Old 2015-11-20, 09:35 AM   #4870
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Which summer?

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-20, 11:51 AM   #4871
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
Well I know of at least one person who ordered it from the same place as me who hasn't even had a despatch email yet (mine came through Sunday).

So I think it's just that they're sending them out in descending order of recipient awesomeness.

You'll get yours in the summer.

At least I can console myself a lot of people on twitter seemed to get theirs in the middle of the week before you.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-20, 11:55 AM   #4872
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Quote:
At least I can console myself a lot of people on twitter seemed to get theirs in the middle of the week before you.
They're obviously either:

1) Foreign and therefore it's just down to geography
or
2) Shill reviewers

Old 2015-11-20, 12:30 PM   #4873
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Got a fun parcel yesterday:

- Takara Legends LG-17 Blackarachnia
- MMC Spartan (not-Impactor - as if I need to tell anyone that!)

Mental time at work the last couple of days, but I had a quick play around with both. More-so Blackarachnia though because she's simple enough to fiddle with, whereas Spartan is a bit bulkier and takes more concentration...

Takara Legends LG17 Blackarachnia: Let's start by saying I have no love, or particular interest, in Beast Wars. I bought Blackarachnia because I love Transformers and spiders, and here we have both coming together in what look(ed) to be a rather superb toy. Plus she's a girl so boosts gender equality. Oh, wait, they're genderless robots you say? Hmm. Doesn't make a lot of sense then... Moving on. The spider mode is pretty cool, with only the robot hands visible (unless you turn her over and her face stares at you from under the abdomen). I like the grappling hook spinnerettes. Articulation of the legs could be better. And the pernickety arachnologist in me says 'spiders have six or eight eyes - not seven!'. Oh - an observation about the spider mode: the figures comes packaged with the robot-mode breast parts with points facing upwards (boobs facing down), like bowls, and this is how the instructions and all stock photography shows it too. That looks very weird to me, and un-spider-like. However, you can rotate them and you end up with what looks like the spider's jaws. I have little doubt this is actually the intention for spider mode, and instructions and stock photos have it wrong. Transformation is very simple, and robot mode looks pretty great. However, there seems to be an annoying gap between the neck and chest even after sliding the chest-piece (spider cephalothorax) upwards. This irks me. Also, it takes a lot of patience to get her to balance due to the weird design of her legs and even less helpful design of her feet. So poseability is limited. So, I'd recommend her to spider-fans, but wouldn't suggest paying inflated prices.

MMC R-13 Spartan: Sure this figure will generate lots of discussion. After all, British Transformers fans in particular have been waiting for it for decades. I really need to play around with it more to firm up my opinion. However, I really like him so far! Transformation is a lot more complex that I expected, but is typically brilliant as with previous MMC releases. Also, as with other MMC releases, the instructions are crap - although possibly among the worst yet (Cynicus probably still takes the cake based on the MMC figures I own). I love all the accessories, but it's a shame they come in sealed bags - if they weren't to be afforded space in the box tray they could at least have resealable baggies like Figma figures. The figure itself is way more detailed and painted far better than I had expected from the stock photos - I was genuinely surprised when I took him out the box. He's also very hefty. Captures Impactor perfectly as far as I'm concerned. I am a very happy four year old and adult Transformers fan all at the same time! The only thing I've not quite worked out yet is how to apply the faction symbols. I'm thinking a Wreckers badge on a shoulder, and Autobot insignia on the chest as it is in IDW but the latter will result in this facing backwards in tank mode. Probably put an Autobot insignia on the tank front panel too.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-20, 07:44 PM   #4874
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Quote:
No, he's a deluxe.

I feel dirty for making that joke...

Seriously though, nice find. I'd love to get a Hellscream. Or a Universe Overbite, same basic nonono no more size class jokes I'm better than that toy really, just with a Decepticon tampograph or two. I think Takara did a better job of capturing the "cyborg beast" feel with these guys than Kenner did with a lot of the designed as cyborgs from scratch TM2s.
The BWII Cyberbeasts are a vice of mine, I think they're so cool looking and as you say, does the whole TM2 thing better than, well a lot of TM2s. I've been biding my time on them as they are kind of pricy on the aftermarket.

I got Max-B MIB a year or so ago and he's great, and easily the cheapest of the four. The robot mode is fantastic but I can see why he gets overlooked / is less popular/ more prevalent on the aftermarket as the beast mode has all the metal bits on his back and a bit of his head so he doesn't look so great. I think I paid 14 for him.

I managed to win an auction for Dirgegun the other day and am waiting nicely for him to turn up. I wasn't expecting to win him, but I guess with an opening bid of 19.99, not many will bite. Free postage though, so a good price, I thought.

Which leaves Hellscream and Thrustor, which are easily the most expensive of the four and scrape triple digits.

Hellscream was up as BIN on ebay for 29.99 loose and complete, and I thought, that's a lot, but its better than paying 100 + for a boxed one, so thought felt comfortable pulling the trigger on that, weighing up as I do, how much I like the toy and the likelihood of me selling it on at some point . This is the second time I've owned this particular mould, as I did have Universe Overbite about 7 years ago but sold him on for money when I had a massive cull of my collection. Didn't regret it though, as I always wanted the 'proper' version with his slightly more paint apps. He's an absolutely belting figure and I love him. He's so packed full of character with his screaming toothy face and stupid big jabby weapons and stuff, plus the base mould is one of the very best of the entire BW era, which is a help. I think for me this what I expect from a mainline toy - some decent articulation, a cool looking character and clever transformation. Its not over the top, but just slick and well thought out. There's decent paint and the plastics are nice and chunky. Beyond RiD, I've found much of the mainline offering lacking in someway because the toys just don't seem as nice. Different times, I guess, but I love how characterful and fun looking all the Beast era toys are, and they just put about 90% of today's mainline stuff in the shade.

Just Thurstor to go now. Might be a while for an affordable version of him... (especially as my wallet has to recover)

Old 2015-11-21, 11:45 AM   #4875
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

Combiner Wars Voyager Protectobot Hot Spot - Bought on discount from Toys'R'Us. I've finally completed one of the teams, now I have to deal with the second wave stuff.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-21, 03:40 PM   #4876
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:

It's the randomness of shipping and unloading, as far as I'm aware. Place reserved on the shelf for Spartan now. Looking to add a CW Hound when those come around, but it's shaping up nicely.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-21, 10:58 PM   #4877
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Just unpacked my MMC Sphinx (Mirage).

Initial impressions are very positive. A few niggles like the forearm covers not clipping in properly and the instructions not being great. Also not keen on the moving wheels, though that's likely just me. But that's all at the moment, which compared to Tracks makes him pretty much perfect.

Nice range of articulation, especially in the head. They've done a good job on the sponsor tweaks too. Good feel to him, feels sturdy but not like a brick. Much prefer him to Invisible.

Hopefully they'll go on to do Jazz in the same range. If Takara re-shell Bumblebee as Cliffjumper and Badcube tackle the other Minibots then it just leaves me waiting on Trailbreaker/Hoist and Skids from the 84-85 cars (assuming imminent items are of the usual standard and Maketoys follow through on Grapple and Inferno).

In short : initial reaction is great.

Old 2015-11-22, 02:49 PM   #4878
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
I think Takara did a better job of capturing the "cyborg beast" feel with these guys than Kenner did with a lot of the designed as cyborgs from scratch TM2s.
Yeah, I hunted all four of them down when I was on my Beast Wars binge about ten years ago. I think that I originally got them because they were remolds of the first year stuff, but I actually ended up liking them more than the originals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
I've been biding my time on them as they are kind of pricy on the aftermarket.
Are they? <goes off to ebay to look at prices>

Oh great good grief! Since when did Beast Wars figures get so expensive? (Granted, I haven't looked at prices for about eight years since I had picked up everything I was after, but still).

Quote:
Just Thurstor to go now. Might be a while for an affordable version of him... (especially as my wallet has to recover)
Here's one for $60. Not sure what that is in GBP. All the rest listed are, as you say, triple digits.

Thrustor was slightly scarcer even when I gathered up a set of the Cyborg Beasts ten years ago. He ran about a third more than what I paid for the other three, even then.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-22, 03:28 PM   #4879
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Oh great good grief! Since when did Beast Wars figures get so expensive? (Granted, I haven't looked at prices for about eight years since I had picked up everything I was after, but still).
It's crazy to think that BW is actually longer ago now than G1 was when I started "collecting as an adult".

Okay, they're less prone to accessory loss or just plain breakage, but demand and availability still has an impact.

Makes me glad I grabbed em all in the early part of the previous decade.

Of course I subsequently sold most of them off again when having a clear-out but them's the breaks innit.

(still have a Dirgegun though. Cyborg Waspinator eff tee doubleyou.)

Old 2015-11-22, 07:01 PM   #4880
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

To put all this in context, its mainly the Japanese Beast Wars stuff (that hasn't had a cheaper Sonkong release) that has held its value or appreciated more on the aftermarket. The main western line isn't particularly pricy - although there are some sellers properly taking the p*ss (who is that German dealer selling boxed stuff for hundreds and hundreds of pounds, even though some of it is no way worth it?)

The Cyborg beasts have always been a dear do, largely through being slightly obscure/ produced in lower numbers (er, possibly) and the sort of figures that people tend to hold onto, rather than sell on. Which is why I've been keeping an eye out for bargains...

Other than those four, the only other figure I know to be silly money for its size is Killer Punch, whom again, doesn't crop up much and when he does you can bet you'll be looking at the best part of 100 for. Other pricy affairs are God Neptune (generally) and that Trypticon re-tool that had all the electrics stripped out (why?).

...if that Thrustor is still hanging around in a month or two, I might have a punt.