• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2015-12-18, 06:12 PM   #4961
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK

Quick follow-up:
Combined mode is very gorilla kill/crush/destroy, doesn't feel very protectory. Arm-mode First Aid is tres blocky, and those missiles on Blades don't half hinder articulation there.

Not sure if it's the mould or the paint application (or a combination of the two), but Defensor's face looks ****ing terrible up close.

Oh, and the Groove confusion is my fault - initial flippy-up stuff was the kickstand, which wasn't down to start with, causing my Powered-by-Guinness brain to get muddled.

BUT ANYWAY I'M OFF TO UNPACK THE DEVASTATOR THAT JUST TURNED UP. *chucks Protectobots into a corner for eternity*

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-19, 01:42 PM   #4962
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
BUT ANYWAY I'M OFF TO UNPACK THE DEVASTATOR THAT JUST TURNED UP. *chucks Protectobots into a corner for eternity*
Sounds like what I'm going to be doing once I have time. Had two separate orders show up yesterday: one being Devastator and the other containing the Takara Protectobots and an MP Sideswipe. Probably won't have time to crack them open and fiddle around with 'em till X-mas

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-19, 06:12 PM   #4963
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
*unchucks Protectobots from the corner, whacks Devastator over the head with a newspaper*

Yeah, sorry, I know newspapers don't exist anymore, but dramatic license people.

AHEM.

So, er, Devastator then? **** me.

Let's start with the good: he cost less than my car insurance.

It is very very nice to have something that fits size-wise with my MP/3P Decepticon set-up and can stand at the back pretending they were worth the time we spent building them in these caves.

The combined mode is really good. Sturdy, well designed, holds together nicely, though the feet don’t seem to support it brilliantly in anything other than a “legs straight and together” posture. The eyes/visor mechanism is nicely done. It's a good, strong, big Devastator and I'm sure one shot from a low-powered laser will make him fall to pieces, so basically they've accomplished the mission on that front.

And, er. That's the end of the good?

As far as the individual robots go, it’s a massive letdown. And my expectations weren't particularly high in the first place if I'm honest.

My initial thought on taking them out of the packaging was "wow, these are very plastic aren't they". And I know that's sort of stating the obvious, but it's very rare that a toy just yells it to that extent. Felt cheap and blocky.

Obviously this is only available as a set and it’s quite clear that the combined mode was the priority. Unfortunately the engineering necessary to pull it off has massively hamstrung the components on their own merits. Judged solely from a vehicle-to-robot standpoint, they’re really poor. I know it was never going to be Masterpiece level, but for a modern-day Generations (or subline thereof) product these are shocking. I don't understand modern sizepoints, I think these are "voyager" size toys or something? But they’ve basically trucked up with transformations that a Beast Wars basic would feel embarrassed by. The ones after they ditched the spring-loaded gimmick.

Long Haul is ridiculous – he’s basically Devastator’s torso/hips with a dump-truck front and bucket slapped on there. His robot legs are pathetic and I'm not even going to touch on his arms. Mass-wise he looks like he's eaten all the honorary Constructicons that Wikidiots would have you believe are a thing.

Mixmaster is just hilarious, to the degree that I’m not even angry. I mean seriously. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Scrapper and Hook give the impression they’ve been designed as deluxes and then just upscaled so they’re the same size as the others. Hook’s crane really feels like they wanted it to extend and then decided not to bother (on a smaller toy this wouldn't be an issue, but something this size feels like it should have some sort of feature), while Scrapper’s elbows really weren’t worth the effort.

Bonecrusher and Scavenger are the only ones with any degree of complexity in the design, but even then nothing more than you’d expect from an old BW deluxe.

In general they look and feel like oversized knock-offs. It's not a great set at all. The combined mode, which I'm sure most people will be after it for, is pretty much exactly what I wanted from it, but I'm not going to pretend this was worth the money.

Genuinely the worst Unite Warriors set of the four I’ve laid my hands on. Sure, the others have mould reuse, don't always look like the characters they represent and other myriad flaws, but at least they're engineered in proportion to their size and have an element of fun.

Basically, if you’re not already committed to getting this, don’t do it to yourself. Other opinions may be available, but unless you can find it heavily reduced that's my advice to you. Yeah, it’s nice to have some pretty much toon-accurate Constructicons in about the same size reference as the MP stuff, but holy **** man have some self respect.

Old 2015-12-19, 06:35 PM   #4964
electro girl
Tall child, holding a beer.

Robot Republic of Yorkshire.

I got this today!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12366111_1092090037470764_3728727079073947211_o.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	10980  

-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
electro girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-19, 08:27 PM   #4965
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Just got a big Christmas package. Stunticons, Spartan, Rattrap. No idea where to start. More later?

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-19, 09:04 PM   #4966
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro girl View Post
I got this today!
Sweet.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-19, 11:40 PM   #4967
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
Just got a big Christmas package. Stunticons, Spartan, Rattrap. No idea where to start. More later?
If you haven't immediately turned Impactor into his sort-of tank a bit mode 3P Nazis (because there are totally other kinds of 3P enthusiasts) will break into your house and do shit on the living room carpet. True story.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 09:21 AM   #4968
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Unite Warriors Devastator arrived yesterday. (Side note - had a terrible time with the store I ordered from, and the customer service attitude was horrendous - right off the bat on the phone call it was clear I was a great inconvenience to them, not like I've been giving them hundreds of pounds of business or anything... Maybe it's partly the new website's fault, as my bank refused to let my card transaction go through on another order after they upgraded because security details didn't match up. Anyway, I digress. It's a relief he actually arrived at all!)

Quote:
The combined mode is really good. Sturdy, well designed, holds together nicely, though the feet don’t seem to support it brilliantly in anything other than a “legs straight and together” posture. The eyes/visor mechanism is nicely done. It's a good, strong, big Devastator and I'm sure one shot from a low-powered laser will make him fall to pieces, so basically they've accomplished the mission on that front.
I've only had time to put together the combined mode. I mean, with Devastator, that's what you've got to do first, right? It's why anyone buys him.

I was struck by how simple yet fiddly this was (MMC Feral Rex is easier to put together despite being arguably more complex). But he does hold together well once you get everything tabbed in place (I did really struggle to get Scavenger to clip in properly and still align with Long Haul's arm-peg and the chest piece).

I've actually found I can pose him fine in more natural positions than Bredocon 2.0 suggests - granted he doesn't have the flexibility of MMC Feral Rex in this regard, but hey, you wouldn't expect him to at quarter the price! I was quite surprised by how sturdy his feet are - particularly Scrapper given his transformation.

Three other things which came as a surprise (in a positive way):
- He has really good articulation for his size, and as his components are quite light this lends itself to poseability.
- Devastator looks like a consistent robot - not like a series of small robots or vehicles pegged to a torso in any way.
- He's actually bigger than I expected.

So, based on the combined mode, I would say he's worth the money if a nice big Devastator is what you want. He looks great alongside other Classics-style figures, and just passable with MPs. After all, the 3P equivalents cost many times the price.

I've not played with the individual Constructicons yet. Too busy with work and family. But I don't expect a lot from them anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro girl View Post
I got this today!
That is absolutely awesome dude!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 09:42 AM   #4969
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I'll be sticking to my G1 and Universe Constructicons then. Having read the above and watched Thew's review, it looks like a very disappointing lump for £130. And if I wanted just an impressive looking giant robot, I'd get one of those cheap-ass things that walks and does flashing lights from the market.

I second Brendocon's comments on the CW / Unite Warriors Protectobots. So much so, I've moved them on already. Shame as I like the Protectobots and the designs were decent. Thin ass plastics, wheels that fall off and a messy combined form just didn't do it for me.

It'd be nice if so much of Hasbro's Transformers didn't whiff of compromise these days. Sadly, as the action figure market continues to shrink, I think even cheaper construction and more and more basic figures are looking like the way forward.

@electrogirl, thats a cool tat

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 10:10 AM   #4970
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Numbat, out of curiosity, which store was that from? You can PM me the details if you're not up for sharing on a post.

It does read that unlike any other lines, the first figures in this line were arguably the best ones. Is Superion the most stable and poseable of the bunch?

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 10:52 AM   #4971
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
Numbat, out of curiosity, which store was that from? You can PM me the details if you're not up for sharing on a post.
Yeah, not up for sharing on the forum. It's always possible I caught them on a bad day (although even on my bad days I treat my clients well!). And the new website security issue would probably be the fault of their web designer, so it seems unfair to punish them for that. It's just unfortunate both the website payment security issue and the poor customer service came hot on the heels of one another.

I have also had one of my best customer service experiences from this store, earlier in the year, so I'm weighing that against the two negative experiences.

That said, I am very unlikely to use them again, when there are alternative sellers who have never given me anything less than exemplary service.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 12:23 PM   #4972
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
I've only had time to put together the combined mode. I mean, with Devastator, that's what you've got to do first, right? It's why anyone buys him.

Quote:
I've actually found I can pose him fine in more natural positions than Bredocon 2.0 suggests - granted he doesn't have the flexibility of MMC Feral Rex in this regard, but hey, you wouldn't expect him to at quarter the price! I was quite surprised by how sturdy his feet are - particularly Scrapper given his transformation.
Okay, maybe this is me then, because it's the Scrapper foot that was giving me the problem. Wasn't holding the weight well at an angle, so it's possible I didn't have things locked into place properly (lets be honest the instructions probably aren't great even if I could read Japanese). Can't check at the moment as I've broken him down into the component parts due to shelf height limitations. Might have another crack at it during the week.

Quote:
Three other things which came as a surprise (in a positive way):
- He has really good articulation for his size, and as his components are quite light this lends itself to poseability.
- Devastator looks like a consistent robot - not like a series of small robots or vehicles pegged to a torso in any way.
- He's actually bigger than I expected.
Yep, yep and yep. They've absolutely nailed the combined mode for me. Will be interested to hear what you think of the components when you've had a run through them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
I second Brendocon's comments on the CW / Unite Warriors Protectobots. So much so, I've moved them on already. Shame as I like the Protectobots and the designs were decent. Thin ass plastics, wheels that fall off and a messy combined form just didn't do it for me.
The comments where I said I like them?

Yeah, Defensor isn't amazing, but as a set of individual robots I'm fairly sure I came down in favour. Except for Hot Spot's "cartoon accuracy through looking like we forgot to paint it" lower body.

Last edited by Brendocon 2.0; 2015-12-20 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Hot SPOT. Not Hot SHOT. FFS Brend.
Old 2015-12-20, 01:26 PM   #4973
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Unhappy

Quote:
Basically, if you’re not already committed to getting this, don’t do it to yourself. Other opinions may be available, but unless you can find it heavily reduced that's my advice to you. Yeah, it’s nice to have some pretty much toon-accurate Constructicons in about the same size reference as the MP stuff, but holy **** man have some self respect.
I am disappointed that you have talked me out of one. I wanted to believe that it wouldn't be that bad, but... here we are. I could tell from the pictures that the figures were quite simple, and I don't mind simplicity at any size, but I don't care for larger figures feeling cheap.

I suppose I'd be happier getting the itty-bitty legends-sized third party set whenever it pops up, or 1/3 of the Toyworld set. Ah, well.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 01:56 PM   #4974
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Got to admit the state of the individual 'structies is a turn-off for me. Devastator's the main ticket, sure, but among the combiner teams they actually do pretty well both for basic designs and characterisations - guys like Long Haul and Scrapper are guys in their own right for me, rather than just bits of Devastator (whereas the ROTF one didn't bother me because they're just an undetermined number of random movie cannon fodder).

They're not even Lost Lighters.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 02:20 PM   #4975
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

I'd be a lot happier with the state of Scrapper, Hook, Scavenger and Bonecrusher if they were deluxe size. They're not necessarily badly designed, they're just nowhere near what you'd expect for a toy of that scale.

Ball joints, elbows and separate legs aside, Mixmaster is pretty much on a par with the original Scramble limbs in terms of complexity. Flip this part out for the legs, pull arms away from body, pull this back and unfold the head. But with the mixer drum hanging off his arse like he's Waspinator or something.

I'll reiterate that if you know what you're getting yourself into and you can find it really cheap, it's probably not so bad. But as individual toys at this size point, they're nowhere near the level you'd expect.

Okay, the combined mode is one of the main selling points, but the same's true for the Scramble-style guys and they've at least managed to be churned out in a way that they've got something going for them on their own merits. I think there's a damn good reason these guys weren't seen fit for individual sale.

Old 2015-12-20, 02:26 PM   #4976
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Do we think it was Hasbro / Takara / both that pushed for them to be upscaled? Can see how something around newer MP scale would be a selling point, but it's a big negative for sizing to be bigger than other CW combiners personally.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 02:39 PM   #4977
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Do we think it was Hasbro / Takara / both that pushed for them to be upscaled? Can see how something around newer MP scale would be a selling point, but it's a big negative for sizing to be bigger than other CW combiners personally.
I don't know how he stacks up size-wise with Metroplex, but I think making him this size is part of a desire to do a "supreme" (or whatever they're calling it) size point release every year.

I'm fairly sure Takara used photos of one of the individual robots alongside MP Sideswipe as a scale indicator in one of the trade magazines, so they were definitely into hitting that as a marketing point.

I'm really hoping that it's a case of they were designed smaller and then upscaled to hit the bigger size, because otherwise somebody sat down and did all this on purpose.

Old 2015-12-20, 03:06 PM   #4978
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
If you haven't immediately turned Impactor into his sort-of tank a bit mode 3P Nazis (because there are totally other kinds of 3P enthusiasts) will break into your house and do shit on the living room carpet. True story.
Is that a thing? I'm not sure where this joke grew out from.

I was a little bit shocked at how sharp his harpoon is.

In other news I have 4/5ths of a Menasor and he is too tall for any of my shelves. Also because of the expression on his face he looks hilarious when he falls over, which is all the time because he has gammy hips. It's worth the price of admission all by itself.

Rattrap is a nightmare. He looks more like The Thing taking on rat form than anything else.

Quite pleasantly surprised with Windblade too. Didn't like the look of the toy in photographs but there's some fun things going on there. Plus it's nice to have the occasional toy that doesn't have the proportions of Mr. Universe.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 03:21 PM   #4979
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
It's that sort of attitiude that let Hasbro figure they could get away with this nonsense in the first place.

The only thing I cared about was getting good toys of Scrapper, Hook and co., so this set was a big no for me from day one.

Quote:
I'm really hoping that it's a case of they were designed smaller and then upscaled to hit the bigger size, because otherwise somebody sat down and did all this on purpose.
They definitely did it on purpose. Hasbro claimed that the reason why the individual robots suck so much is that if they gave him more joints the combined mode would be too unstable to pass safety laws, or some such nonsense. Though it's just as likely that they just couldn't do a good job on six toys with a budget and parts count meant for a single, huge toy like Metroplex.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 04:03 PM   #4980
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
They definitely did it on purpose. Hasbro claimed that the reason why the individual robots suck so much is that if they gave him more joints the combined mode would be too unstable to pass safety laws, or some such nonsense. Though it's just as likely that they just couldn't do a good job on six toys with a budget and parts count meant for a single, huge toy like Metroplex.
Aye, it's a shame that Devastator had to be undermined by their own internal design restrictions. While I can appreciate that Hasbro are squarely aimed at a wider market than any of the third party outfits, if this was the best that they could do... why bother?

At least the Scramble groups have all been good fun.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote