• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2016-01-30, 02:30 PM   #5041
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

RID 2015 Warrior Megatronus - Bought this at K-Mart as soon as I saw it as this wave hasn't been any where as well stocked as the previous waves and Megatronus disappeared the last time I saw him.

There's probably only going to be a couple more that I'm going to get from this theme as I'm not really a fan of the designs of the characters.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-01, 07:13 PM   #5042
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Lucky break today...

MP Ironhide: Far better than pictures make him out to be. Impressive size, although he is a bit hollow overall as parts need to expand and just fold around each other to make him from a small van to a tall robot.

The arms are a perfected version of Prime RID Knockout transformation, in which panels just expand and wrap around a fist block. Legs had some very tight tolerances and you need to flex the plastic to transform some panels. Upper body also has TIGHT tolerances in how the back of the van just decompresses onto the side panels.

Decent articulation altogether, with ratchets for knees and shoulders [but not thighs...why?]. Tons of accessories with a SOC style stand to be placed on [mobile base]. Mine has some trouble holding his shorter handguns.

Overall pleased, will try to get his review shorted this week. Now off to pose him next to Scoria and Soar [ala RID 7-8]!

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-02, 11:37 PM   #5043
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Actively fund-raising for an Ironhide myself... Glad to hear he's not bad from two people with perspective.

Found BW Depth Charge in a charity shop for 4, boxed but missing his silly gun thing and all but one of his golden disc firing things. My God, is he awful. He looks like RiD Megatron ****ed Thunderwing! His back is so badly designed he has to use his tail like a little tripod! And he was an Ultra, which if I'm remembering correctly, means he was one of THE big toys of whatever year he came out! This guy was, like, the ROTF Prime of 1998.

So, yeh, coming to an ebay auction near you.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-03, 04:56 PM   #5044
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Depth Charge's robot mode is a bit ridiculous, isn't it? It feels like he's almost as deep as his is tall. I got the Universe version a couple years ago courtesy of Clay, and I don't think I've transformed it out of manta ray mode since the first week I had it. I do like the beast mode, but it's definitely one of the weaker BW molds I own.

You're right about the size class -- he and Rampage were the big, expensive toys that year and neither one of them is really all that impressive. Though honestly I don't think very many of the big BW toys were. The first Ultra Primal was brilliant, but the Megatron that came out alongside him looks like an rough draft of a design for a toy half it's size. Then Magnaboss and Tripredacus were a mess, Depth Charge and Rampage are super clunky, Optimal Optimus is just awkward and TMII Megs is compromised by having an eight foot long dragon neck for an arm. Tigerhawk is actually okay, though like a lot of TMIIs he suffers from being too busy and detailed for his own good.

In general, I don't think the design philosophy of the BW toys scales up very well. It's the opposite of the movie stuff in that regard, where bigger was generally better for the on-screen designs because the designs needed the extra space to be fully realized.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-09, 09:06 PM   #5045
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Because you can never own enough original comic art, I've just purchased the "Roadbuster rips out a spine" flashback page from the More Than Meets the Eye Scavengers 2 parter.

inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-10, 03:05 AM   #5046
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

UW Defensor: Pulled the money together for this bad boy because I have this odd attachment to Defensor, and the Protectobots as a whole, from when I was a kid. When I saw that the Takara set came with a proper Groove that wouldn't be sold separately I knew I'd have to get the set.

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-11, 02:13 AM   #5047
HotShot81
Triple Changer

Canada, Land of Ice and Snow

I got a new car Monday, and 3 Insecticons (Platinum edition) got into the trunk somehow. Last time I saw them they were high tailing to Waspinator to try and form a new faction.

HotShot81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-11, 02:20 PM   #5048
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

After seeing the colour pictures, and learning that the weapons sled was an accessory and not integral to the van mode, I bought MP-27 Ironhide. Had him for a week now, and I'm really enjoying him. He has a lot more charm in person than a lot of the photos suggest, and the transformation is really clever but not overly complex. He's given me the same wow factor as MP-4 Prime did - maybe even slightly more-so as the G1 toy of course was nothing like the animation model, so it's even more impressive they've done such a good job of it (let's face it, CHUG Ironhide failed...). The legs are very fun - becoming simple bland red like the cartoon - but this could be a negative for some. Nice that the van mode has the subtle inclusion of a moulded face that looks like the toy though. Ironhide was my third favourite Autobot as a kid, so I'm probably a bit biassed.

However biassed I am, I must admit those van panels on his hips annoy me. They hinder articulation, and break his otherwise superb silhouette. I'm sure they could have been tackled better. Ironhide is by no means the best Masterpiece figure, but he is ambitious and does quite well.

Also got MP-21R Bumblebee - I love the mould, and the red G1 toy holds sentimental value for me (I still have it, as well as the yellow one which was my first Transformer). I've not opened him yet though. (I am disappointed he doesn't come with a battle mask face though - given he's a toy homage, this seems quite bizarre! I'll see what the one which came with MP-21 yellow Bumblebee looks like on him.)

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-11, 02:48 PM   #5049
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

G1 Thunderwing!

Impulsiveness and lack of self-control strikes again! I saw a yellowed but complete Thunderwing on a Finnish auction site for only a hundred eurodollars, so what do I do? Buy one from Germany for 160, of course!

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-11, 08:41 PM   #5050
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Never had Sky Lynx as a kid, but the CW one is how I imagined him... really like the dino bird mode, but it does an acceptable winged cat as well, or they can fold up more to give him back-mounted weapons.

http://i.imgur.com/ReiAias.jpg

Last edited by Denyer; 2016-02-11 at 08:53 PM.
Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-11, 10:00 PM   #5051
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

How does he stack up size-wise next to literally anything else? I don't think I've seen a single photo (and as yet any review) that puts him alongside another toy...

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-11, 11:22 PM   #5052
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Any help? Goes with deluxes rather than voyager/masterpiece scale IMO, which fits with the line he's part of.

http://i.imgur.com/buaO8yP.jpg

edit: Or smaller if you think of the character as a transport shuttle. WST FTW.

http://i.imgur.com/GtIF4LL.jpg

Last edited by Denyer; 2016-02-11 at 11:36 PM.
Old 2016-02-12, 07:29 AM   #5053
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Sky Lynx looks ace I like!

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-12, 11:21 AM   #5054
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Any help?
Awh, he so tiny!

I mean yeah, I assumed he'd be small because they've crammed him into voyager-size packaging, but it's still weird to see him so little.

Ta for that. He's not really on my to-get list, but it was getting proper elephant in the room that none of the pictures I was seeing gave any frame of reference.

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-12, 03:53 PM   #5055
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
Sky Lynx looks ace I like!
I'd say it look fundamentally terrible, but that adds to his essential Sky Lynxiness.

Old 2016-02-12, 05:57 PM   #5056
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

To be fair, he probably looks a lot better in the bird mode that he's actually supposed to transform into than he does in the cat fanmode that the designers seemingly never gave much thought to. Though don't get me wrong, it's awesome that he can get into a cat mode at all even if it's a bit rough around the edges.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-12, 07:54 PM   #5057
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post

edit: Or smaller if you think of the character as a transport shuttle. WST FTW.
Ha.

Sigggghhhhhhh. Forgot about Sky Lynx.

bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookblaghbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook
Sades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-12, 08:27 PM   #5058
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
To be fair, he probably looks a lot better in the bird mode that he's actually supposed to transform into than he does in the cat fanmode that the designers seemingly never gave much thought to.
Sort of? And there's another variant on the cat someone's come up with because the wings pivot right around as well...

http://tformers.com/combiner-wars-sk...8271/news.html

It's a great homage and neat that Hasbro is experimenting more in this size class. With the number of moving parts would expect a lot of them to be broken in short order, though.

Old 2016-02-13, 11:37 AM   #5059
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Not strictly an acquisition as it was an unexpected free Brucie Bonus, but look what Lew Stringer included for me in the pack with my Christmas Quiz prizes by way of apology for forgetting to send them out for a few weeks:

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/...833656320?s=09

Old 2016-02-13, 01:36 PM   #5060
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Nice one. Does he do conventions?