• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2016-12-27, 06:14 PM   #5621
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Just before Christmas I was able to get TR Soundwave. He's a giant robot made of boxes and I love him. Haven't had too much time to fiddle with him, but the transformation is pretty quick and easy, and the datapads all fit nicely into his chest. Seems like the newer Titan Masters are a bit on the short side of paint, so Soundblaster is a little bland. Overall I'm really happy with him, and I'm looking forward to a TR Frenzy if they ever put one out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
Titans Return Triggerhappy w/ Blowpipe
Ooh, ooh! Did you flip his guns out to give him gun hands and then peg his other guns into his arms to give mega arm guns? Because it's awesome!

Because for Christmas, my son picked out a TR Triggerhappy for me. I have had zero connection to the previous toy, and this one is pure fun. Great modes on both ends, and super fun to fiddle with.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-29, 03:53 AM   #5622
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Even though I didn't get any Transformers for Christmas I've still managed to have four new ones pop up on my desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
Just before Christmas I was able to get TR Soundwave. He's a giant robot made of boxes and I love him.
Just grabbed a Blaster myself, and I think this description is apt. I don't know if it's an accident of the transformation or they set out to do it on purpose, but I love how well they captured the almost comical boxiness of the original Blaster toy. He looks like he's made of Lego and I love it. Articulation-wise, he's a bit underwhelming. I didn't expect double knees or elbows, with the limbs being so gloriously boxy, but he's got no forearm/wrist swivels, no waist swivel and he can't look up or down thanks to the helmetted-Headmaster gimmick. He does have really good ankle tilts, though, so getting him to stand isn't a problem in any pose he is capable of. And I really like the way the legs just explode to make either boombox or base mode.

I've looked at most of the other Leaders in store and mostly put them back down after laughing at their heads, but Blaster actually makes the helmet gimmick look good. Using the comic head with the "knight" visor helps a lot in that regard. Though his TM partner is hilarious-looking on his own, with his giant face, and Blaster looks silly with any of the Deluxe or Voyager heads I own plugged in, so it's sort of a wash in the end.

Rewind pairs up with him nicely, though I've got no interest in Stripes since he's so ugly. Rumour has it that Ramhorn is coming later (albeit as a Titan Master, not a tablet), so he'll be able to have a nice little team of minions even if they never get to making Eject or Steeljaw (and honestly, with molds already made for Rewind and Sawback it'd be a shame if they didn't repaint them).

Honestly, while I really like Blaster a lot he's also a good example of why I so rarely buy Leader-class toys, because while he's fun he's nowhere near as much fun as the three Deluxes I also got, and the Deluxes combined to cost about $5 less.

Chromedome doesn't really bring anything new to the party. He's engineered almost identically to the CW Dead End and Streetwise that I already own, which is both good (because those are two of my fave CW toys) and bad (because I already know basically what to expect). He's a good toy but I can't help looking at him and Streetwise and noting all the little things that the latter does better (slightly better range of motion, better accessories and a slicker robot silhouette). It cuts both ways, though, and Chromedome definitely has a leg up in a few other areas (a smaller backpack, having actual feet, not having a combiner port for a tummy). Mold-wise it probably equals out, and Chromedome is a very nice figure. But he's also got the blandest colours known to man, transparent wheels for some reason and the IDW head doesn't quite work on a body that turns out to be quite chunky. They tried to give him the V-shaped IDW torso, but he's still got the front end of a car on his back so he winds up having a blocky silhouette anyway. And I know it sounds like I'm really down on him, but honestly, he's great. He just had the bad luck of coming at the same time as three figures that are fresh and new, so he doesn't seem very exciting in comparison.

I'm not sure where I stand on Mindwipe. The bat mode is basically a statue with a weird block plugged into it's butt, and no real opportunity for interaction with any Titan Masters beyond his own. And the way his transformation works, with the wings folding up into his legs...by all rights the robot mode should be awful. But it's actually great! The legs stick together better than they have any right to, he's got great range of motion in his elbows and knees and he's got big feet that hold his weight well. Beast mode won't win any prizes but the robot more than makes up for it, and the end result is a nice toy. And also, based on how it's engineered, a toy that would make for a badass Squeezeplay retool in the future (pretty please, Hasbro?)

Weirdwolfwire is my favourite of the bunch. His beast mode has a metric ton of personality, like Skullcruncher, and great poseability too. His transformation has more wrinkles than I expected (he looks like a Beast Machines Special where you just stand up the animal and call it a robot), but I'm really glad that I didn't get him until a few months after he came out so that people had already figured how to open his cockpit without splitting the hinges. Robot mode has tons of mobility, good balance and awesome accessories. I also love his colours (I somehow never realized he sports the same shades of yellow and green as Sinnertwin, one of my first and favourite G1 toys).

All in all, a damned good haul. As much as I love some of the previous Generations iterations, I think this bunch has cemented Titans Return as my favourite. Even the figures with obvious flaws are ridiculously fun.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-29, 05:15 AM   #5623
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
... people had already figured how to open his cockpit without splitting the hinges.
While mine so far hasn't shown signs of cracking yet, I'm curious. What's the trick?

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-29, 06:14 AM   #5624
Warcry

Apparently, the trick is to open the other side of his chest first and push the cockpit hatch open from the inside. I think the logic is that when you do that you're putting force on the clear red bit, not the yellow part that's prone to breaking. You still need to put a bit of force on the yellow (or at least I think I do) in order to pop the tab out, but this way you're not using it to lever the cockpit open.

Old 2016-12-30, 03:29 PM   #5625
Paul053
The man who painted heaven

North star where bananna froze

Asian Exclusive MP Soundwave! Woohoo!!

Paul053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-31, 11:36 AM   #5626
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
Ooh, ooh! Did you flip his guns out to give him gun hands and then peg his other guns into his arms to give mega arm guns? Because it's awesome!
Yes! And then made the silly shoulder mounted gun thingy that Blowpipe can sit in and pegged it in to his arms and stuck Terry Bull on his shoulders! Whoop!

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-31, 03:03 PM   #5627
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

TR Autobot Stripes - This cat completes the last of Blaster's minions so far, now I need to get Soundwave and he's minions.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-31, 04:14 PM   #5628
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Titans Return Gnaw

He's adorable!

Old 2016-12-31, 08:47 PM   #5629
HotShot81
Triple Changer

Canada, Land of Ice and Snow

Knowing my fellow Canadian collectors, they are going to kill me for the following post . . .

I got TR: Sixshot!!! And Astrotrain came along for the ride as I was trying to find Optimus Prime.

HotShot81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-02, 08:58 PM   #5630
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Platinum Edition Autobot Intel Ops (Perceptor And Blaster Reissue)

Been dithering on this for a while, but A1 toys have some of the Platinum Reissues (Seekers/ Insections/ Triple Changers) heavily reduced, so I pulled the trigger. I like the Slides for Perceptor - still a shame Hasbro didn't retain / reintroduce the x15 magnification of the Diaclone toy (which is still shown on his decals). Blaster is silly. He's so bloody huge and clunky. Worst thing about him is that tiny head! Why is it so small?! His tape chums Eject, Ramhorn And Steeljaw (wot, no Rewind?) are all excellent and probably my favourite things about this set. Have to say, I do like the playset nature of these Platinum Reissues.

Old 2017-01-04, 07:47 PM   #5631
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

To keep plinking with the TR fun, I picked up a few Titan Masters over the last week:

TR Brawn, TR Sawback (Lione), and TR Apeface

I find that Brawn is pretty fun and has a neat little treaded 'Jeep' mode. The other mode where is basically riding a giant gun is a little far-fetched. He pairs nicely with Hardhead though, and the gun mode is one of the best I have so far.

Sawback is pretty neat, and his lion mode is a bit bigger than I expected. Planning on pairing him with Hot Rod, the color palette works well. What I hadn't anticipated was the 'shield' mode's peg needing to attach to a hand from the bottom. Hot Rod's forearm design negates that entirely. It kind of works if you swivel the hand out, but not really. You know what's odd though? Hot Rod's jack design for the Titan Masters to peg in. All the other TR figures I have contain a pretty standard jack. Hot Rod's is different for whatever reason, and the TM's don't peg in very tight.

Apeface is pretty ace, if I want to be poetic about it. Nice jet mode, nice ape mode, and decent gun mode. all around on that one.

I think my goal is to find a suitable TM partner for each TR deluxe I own.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-07, 12:25 PM   #5632
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

Don't ask me how, don't ask me why, but the local Walmart actually got some TR heads in. They're overcharging for them(I've heard they're supposed to be $5, they're charging $9), and at that price, I've got the only one I really wanted anyway:

TR Fangry - I love the little guy! He looks so neat.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-08, 05:40 AM   #5633
Warcry

Got TR Skytread on a lark. The little jet-tank vehicle is nice, and I liked his colours. I thought he would go well with Mindwipe, but it actually turns out his colours match better with Chromedome. In fact he looks better on the body than Stylor does. I'd leave him there permanently if I wasn't planning to display all the '87 Headmasters together.

Like Apeface, they did a great job of making the mini-vehicle match up to the original toy's alt-modes. It's baffling to me how bout half of these are just spot on and others (like Nightbeat or Squeezeplay) seem totally random.

Old 2017-01-08, 12:39 PM   #5634
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

TR Wheelie - I really don't get the distribution philosophy around here. For Combiner Wars, we'd either have virtually nothing or lots of limb pieces and Legends class at the local Walmart, while the not so local TRU had nothing. For Titans Return, the local Walmart has sporadic stocking of Deluxes, shelf warming Voyagers(anybody want Galvatron?), and once in a while leaders. The not so local TRU? Legends class. And Fort Max class. Being on a budget(and not needing another piece of furniture), I got Wheelie. I got to say, I like the little guy. At least in robot mode. His vehicle mode seems a bit wibbly. It looks good, but the arms pop loose easily.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-08, 05:35 PM   #5635
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I think my favourite thing about Wheelie is being able to stick one of the small Titan Masters in him and drive them around

Old 2017-01-09, 08:25 PM   #5636
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I've had a go with some 3P add ons. A friend mentioned someone on Shapeways doing a proper helmet for TR Galvatron. I like my Galvatron toy to play with, but God's balls, that spring up face mask is rubbish! So I was quite up for some add on funtimes in this instance. Person I bought from was doing a selection of fancy hats for Galvatron. I went for the IDW inspired spiky hat. And a clip for the cannon, which means you can angle it out of the way. Overall, I'm pleased with them. Its so nice to have Galvatron looking a bit more like he should. I think I misjudged the colour though, which is a much more vibrant shade of purple and doesn't match with the toy's plastics. I don't mind that for the clip, but it does mean the spiky hat stands out a bit. Its a snug fit on the Titan Master and looks pretty rad all the same, so I'll live. And it does look really, really good!

...And I've just discovered that the plastic is proper Galvatron purple under natural light and Crashbash pink under artificial light. Fancy that.

Last edited by Skyquake87; 2017-01-10 at 08:07 PM.
Old 2017-01-10, 11:19 PM   #5637
HotShot81
Triple Changer

Canada, Land of Ice and Snow

I feel like I am saying I found the third medal of Zelda here when I announce this.

I have TR: Fortress Maximus!
I have TR: Blaster!
I now have TR: Optimus Prime with Apex!

Now I can form . . . Autobot city!

HotShot81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-12, 05:42 PM   #5638
Warcry

Smile

Thanks to Clay, I now have a Brainstorm!

He's an okay toy. Not bad. Not great either. Probably one of the weaker of the main seven Headmasters, along with Highbrow, but still a solid 6 or 7/10 (which is a testament to how good the Deluxes have been so far in this line). The best thing about him is probably his colours. The blue-green is just so gloriously bright. The worst thing about him is how they engineered his shoulders.

Compared to the other Deluxes in this line Brainstorm seems a lot less bulky in robot mode, but that's probably because the entire front of his alt-mode is meant to come off. The feature doesn't work as well for him as it does for Blurr (who it was meant for, as a reference to the G1 toy's shield) simply because Brainstorm's nosecone is so big that it's almost too cumbersome for the figure to use. So it mostly stays folded out of sight on his back, and the robot winds up looking slighter than his linemates because of it.

I wish he was a bit more G1 and less IDW, but I said the opposite about Chromedome and I can't really expect them to cater to my exact preferences at all times. For what it is, it's a nice rendition. The Generations Voyager captures the IDW look better, but then it wasn't engineered to share parts with a boxy guy like Blurr.

The strangest thing about the figure is how much of it is painted. The forearms, crotch, face and shield are all molded in the wrong colour and then painted over, even though other parts are molded in the right colours. Considering how low the paint budget was on the last few lines, this is hilarious. I'm pretty sure Brainstorm here has more paint than the entire Thrilling 30 Deluxe lineup combined. I'm glad they went to the effort to get his colours right, but considering how they molded almost all of Blurr in one colour anyway I'm surprised they didn't design the mold's sprue layout to fit the colours they wanted on Brainstorm. But he winds up looking fine regardless, because they matched the paint very well to the plastic colours.

Also, looking at the tampographs on Brainstorm's shins and shoulder-wings...stuff like this is totally why they switched some of the deco to stickers later in the line, isn't it? Using traditional paint apps to emulate the tiny details that stickers added on the G1 toys must be a lot more expensive than just using actual stickers. The shoulders especially...there's four colours in there overlapped in a tight area with sharp edges. They look great and they're amazingly clean but I'm not surprised at all that they switched.

Overall, I like the figure well enough on it's own but what I'm really excited about is having a complete set of modern basic Headmasters. Brainstorm's quite the looker, but it's with the other six lined up beside him that he really shines.

Old 2017-01-12, 09:09 PM   #5639
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Smile

Courtesy of Mr Denyer... (fanfare)

LG 35 Super Ginrai
The alt mode is so cute, it looks a little bit super-deformed. Trundles along nicely and looks lovely in its predominantly red and grey palette. Best of all are the painted wheel hubs!

Transformation is pretty ingenious, and the overall look and bulk to the robot mode is excellent. The proportions are great and the beef of the super mode is great. I especially like that the trailer bits can be folded up out of the way of his hands, something the Hasbro version seemed to lack. Weapons are good too, built for sitting Titan Masters in and good updates of the originals.

Articulation is generally very good and he can strike some good poses. The ratchets in his legs are super heavy though, and I find moving his knees makes his lower legs collapse a bit - there's not enough tabs to keep these locked together to form a solid base, which is a bit poor on limbs that are going to manipulated a lot. The feet are a bit weird too, they're this sort of scaffold of parts and they look a bit reedy.

The bright colours, sharp detailing and simple, but effective uses of silver paint make him a treat to look at and overall, I think Super Ginrai is pretty awesome. And I'm definitely up for Godbomber when he turns up for power up funtimes.

Old 2017-01-15, 04:27 PM   #5640
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

I bought CW G2 Bruticus at Burlington Coat Factory yesterday for US$39.99, the same price as the G2 box sets at TJ Maxx/Marshall's. This appears to be chain wide, so if you've got a BCF near you, it'd probably be worth checking out.

At the thrift shop next door, I got a complete Thrilling 30 Thundercracker in very good shape.

Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote