• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2017-01-26, 09:48 PM   #5661
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
The MP-scale bracket is pretty much the only TF line I buy now. It's easier for me to justify when I'm not weighing it up against "or I could buy two hollow Titan Master deluxes" or whatever.
The math's a bit different here...I can usually buy a whole wave of main-line figures for around what an MP or 3P figure would cost. Obviously the value on either side of the equation depends on how good the figures are, though. But with Hasbro spamming 1987-88 characters while Takara and third parties mostly concentrate on making figures that are increasingly accurate to a cartoon that didn't look very good, the mass market stuff is winning right now. A few years ago it was the other way around.

Quote:
Or I can fund it by not buying fourth-tier Marvel Legends figures
This is exactly how I've paid for all the Headmasters I've bought recently. Or maybe I just went nuts with the Marvel figures last year because there were almost no Transformers worth buying between January and November. Same difference, I guess.

Though the fact that the last few waves have barely shown up anywhere doesn't help much either. And it's not like there's a pile of unwanted stuff shelfwarming, the Marvel sections at local stores are just plain empty (except for the two or three Misty Knights per store that will never, ever sell...though I'm kinda tempted now to get one to hang with Disco Dazzler) and Amazon sold out of anything I might want the second it showed up.

Quote:
Robot mode scale is the key. Across alt modes? Never going to happen. The fact that scale regularly got ignored in the cartoon doesn't help. but it comes down to "yeah, close enough" at the end of the day.
I'm at the point now where I don't even care. If it's a good representation of a character I like I'll buy it regardless of size (except for Titan-class stuff, that's just too big for me to even fidn room in my house). I've got so many figures I like in such wildly varying sizes, from G1 stuff to Alternators to Deluxe versions of big characters like Straxus to MPs that no matter what scale a figure is in I can find something it'll look good with. And it's not like I'm going to bin stuff I already own and like just to replace it with something in a "better" scale.

Quote:
So yeah, metric is theoretically the default, but most of us actually USE imperial. Apart from when it comes to temperature. Because the fahrenheit scale is a nonsense system created by lunatics.
Oh right, I forgot about that. Fahrenheit is for madmen. Unless you're using the oven, because no way in hell am I metricizing a 200 year old recipe.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-28, 09:17 AM   #5662
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

TR Gnaw - Grabbed it last Sunday from Big W. Looks like one of the more fun and colorful figures of this theme so far.

AOE Slog - Finally bought this guy off eBay after putting it of for the past year or two.

Thrilling 30 Rhinox - Also bought from eBay, I like that some of the parts have a more rubbery feel, because y'know, Rhinoceros' being an animal and all.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-29, 05:20 PM   #5663
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

I'm underwhelmed with my recent haul.

RiD Bisk should be just what I want from the line: an animal/humanoid hybrid bot mode, whise form allows for a unique transformation. So why don't I like him? That's not rhetorical, I just don't care for him much at all and can't figure out why. I might be the orange, which manages to be simultaneously obnoxious and bland, or the lack of head/neck articulation.

RiD Scatterspike is a redeco of Quillfire, who I already have. I prefer SS's mauve and lavender to QF's tan, brown, and grey. First, I just like SS's colors better. Second, I prefer the alt mode to have a single dominant color.

TR Gnaw is the best of the bunch. The shark eyes are hemispheres of translucent yellow plastic, which give the beast mode a suitable creepy look. The jaw has Titanmaster pegs inside, so a little guy can ride around in Gnaw's head. I especially appreciate this, since I miss the absurdity of Grax riding around in Skullcruncher's mouth. The bot mode is nice, too, witha spot-on head sculpt.

My only issue is the shark face and arms attach to the bot's ankles instead of its back. This gives the bot an almost Throttlebot amount of heel kibble, while leaing an almost prefectly flast back, which doesn't suit the bot's overall chubby look.

TR Kickback is the biggest dissapointment. I still have my G1 Kickback, which is a pretty efficient design. The bot head becomes the insect head; the 2 bot arms split to become the 4 insect forelimbs.

TR Kickback has separate parts for each mode. A nicely sculpted grasshopper head folds like a helmet over the bot head in insect mode. The modes share antennae. although the insect head looks nice, this results in a very tiny bot head, with overly large antennae.

The bot arms fold underneath the insect mode, and are separate from the insect forelegs. However, the upper arms are the same purple as the forelegs, so when you look at the insect from the side, all you see is a mesh of purple parts, with some of them coming points; these are the forelegs. The bot wrists/fists have black kibble covering them, and form a lump that sticks out of the insects back. On non-grasshopper insects, this might look like a thorax or something but here, it just gets in the way.

The insect forelegs fold onto the bot's back, and aren't really in the way, but the wings are attached to the same pieces, so instead of coming from the bot's shoulders like the G1 toy, the wings come from the backpack, and dont really look like they come from the torso.

The advantage of this is modern bot arm articulation: ball jointed shoulders and elbows. The cost is all these parts getting in each others' way, and a total loss of foreleg articulation.

The TR does have better bot legs/insect rear legs than the G1 toy. Half of the insect legs fold into the bot legs, like 30 years ago. But, the legs fold in half, so they store in only the lower part of the bot legs. This allows for articulated bot legs, which have ball joints in the knees as well as the hips.

Opening the yellow panel on the chest reveals a pair of TM pegs, so a little guy can ride the grasshopper around. However, this is more a seat than a cockpit. The yellow panel stays open to form the back rest; the TM does not fit inside Kickback.

Kickback my be the most dissapointing insect themed TF since Prime: Airachnid, and I haven't had a better version of Airachnid sitting on my shelf for 30 years.

Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-30, 09:44 PM   #5664
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Unite Warriors Woman Decepticon Warrrior Combiner Megatronia

Mad Decepticon repurposing of the Victorion Combiner, with sexy neon colours shot through with a healthy dose of BLACK. It was the accompanying Manga for the Unite Warriors that got me hooked on these figures. I've no idea what's going on, but I liked the pictures and the characters seemed fun. As you'd expect, cramming female heads and torso plates on the slightly blocky Combiner Wars moulds isn't hugely convincing, and except for Flowspade (okay then), they all have the deathless stare of haunted Victorian dolls.

The colours are pretty banging though. I do like the unifying palette with the two helicopters Lunaclub (pink) and Moonheart (blue) having black as the secondary colour, whilst Flowspade and Trickdiamond look deadly in black with lavender and yellow secondary colours. Paint apps are nice and crisp, and Mega Empress is nice and silver and red and black.

The combined form has a decent silhouette, thanks to some thoughtful pairing up of deluxes, which puts Victorion to shame. The headsculpt is... tall? I dunno what's up with that. Nicely detailed though, and Megatronia does look like some awesome space princess who's stolen She-Ra's sword. I like the hands and feet, which are a massive improvement on the hand/foot jobbies. Just wish the designers hadn't felt the need to go for some weird high-heeled robot shoes. That's not practical for running and warrioring! The hips seem a lot more sturdy on Megatronia, which is nice.

In short: Yaaay!

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-01, 08:36 PM   #5665
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Titans Return Sky Shadow w/ Ominus

Wow. Just wow. Sky Shadow is hench. He's a big, beefy out of space looking fella, all great gobby planks for legs and great big tenderizers for arms. The black/ grey/ siver/ whatever colour the forearms are supposed to be colour combo is excellent. I love his regal and sneery looking face. He has excellent joints for awesome posing stuffs and oh, man, what a cool, fun transformation he has. Base mode is pretty decent, riffing on Overlord's adventure playground effort ...AND THEN he splits off into a super chunky tank of DEATH and a looming jet of OH MY GOD WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! AND THEN you can clamp the tank to the bottom of the jet for a silly flying tankcraft which is amazing. And then he can drop the tank and squish his enemies and shoot stuff! Ominus (great name) could do with some paint, and he's one of the weaker Titan Masters, as he turns into a face, rather than a head, but I don't care. Absolute belter and another triumph for the already insanely awesome Titans Return line! Thank you Hasbro!

Old 2017-02-04, 10:42 AM   #5666
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

Thrilling 30 Brainstorm - Another of the Thrilling 30 line that as far as I know we never got over here.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-04, 01:22 PM   #5667
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Titans Return Kickback

Hmm. I like him. He's not Bombshell awesome, but he's god nonetheless. His robot mode head is just too small though, which throws his proportions off - especially when coupled with those great gangly arms. The colours and level of detail are excellent though, and top marks for the grasshopper mode, which is superb!

Old 2017-02-06, 07:07 PM   #5668
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Titans Return Twinferno w/Daburu:

I had Doublecross as a kid, so seeing a modern reimagining of him I had to pick him up. Sadly I am underwhelmed. His arms are...meh at best, his guns are loose where they are supposed to peg in, his dragon mode is a slab with beast parts hanging off of it. All that said I still like the look of the robot mode and am glad I bought him, if only for the nostalgia value. Doublecross was a favorite toy of mine growing up. I do appreciate the tiny little buzzsaw blade on his chest as a homage to the original.

Titans Return Triggerhappy w/Blowpipe:

From one end to the other in the same day. After Twinferno I wasn't expecting much from Triggerhappy but I was pleasantly surprised. His transformation is inventive and fun, his jet mode has plenty of swoosh to it, and he looks good in either mode. Plus you can do Shooty McGun-Hands with him if you want. All in all he hits all the marks in what I want from a Transformer.

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-09, 06:56 PM   #5669
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Beast Machines Tank Drone
Already have one of these, but thought Tankor could do with another minion to boss around. Man, figures from the turn of the century are nice. Good quality plastics, chrome, decent paint applications and just really nicely designed figures (well, if you like Beast Machines oddities like what I do).

Super Gobots Leader-1
F**k me. He's really good! Nice and solid, thanks to all the Die-cast and the transformation is simple and fun. Robot mode is better than I was expecting and I love his headsculpt. Top stuff!

Old 2017-02-10, 05:16 AM   #5670
Warcry

Thanks to some sharp eyes on the part of Heinrad, I've got a CW Onslaught. Which also means that (thanks to the Combaticon limb-bots that I ended up buying on clearance) I've got a complete Bruticus.

Onslaught himself is pretty weak. He's basically the same toy as Hot Spot, but with a duller colour scheme, an alt-mode that isn't as much fun and somehow even more obtrusive hollowness. But he's easily the best combiner torso of the ones I own. And the Combaticons make for a solid selection of limbs, meaning that Bruticus turns out a darn sight cooler than Superion (the only other full combiner I collected).

So while Onslaught himself is kinda weak -- though not the worst Combaticon, that prize goes to Brawl -- he lets you make a great Bruticus. And normally I like to prioritize the individual robots over the combined mode. But in this case, with such a cool combined mode, I'll make an exception.

Old 2017-02-10, 04:04 PM   #5671
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
So while Onslaught himself is kinda weak -- though not the worst Combaticon, that prize goes to Brawl -- he lets you make a great Bruticus. And normally I like to prioritize the individual robots over the combined mode. But in this case, with such a cool combined mode, I'll make an exception.
Yeah, that Bruticus is just ace. Definitely my favorite of the three-ish combiners I own.

I caved and bought a TR Bumblebee on the second time I saw him in store. He's a neat little guy, but quite fiddly during transformation. The windshield/top/hatch thing is weird, as I expected the cockpit to open more like Chromedome/Getaway. And while you can put a Titan Master in the seat, the windows are not transparent so you can't see him in there anyways. The two modes are OK for what they are, and it's nice to have a BB more in scale with how he was in G1. To be honest, I really just bought him to A) be able to put him in PM Optimus' trailer, and B) try out the mold before buying Roadburn.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-10, 08:56 PM   #5672
HotShot81
Triple Changer

Canada, Land of Ice and Snow

I went a little cra-cra today.

First time I saw 4/5 of these bots in stock.

TR: Broadside
TR: Bubblebee
TR: Gnaw
TR: Kickback
TR: Chromedome (and for some reason I hear this name I hear it like they say it in the Japanese headmaster cartoon followed by head-on)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Upload.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	471.6 KB
ID:	11467  
HotShot81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-11, 08:19 PM   #5673
Warcry

I found myself a Triggerhappy last night! He's definitely every bit as good as the feedback says. I've always thought the original was a lovely design, both in robot and jet modes, and I'm really impressed with how good a job they did in capturing both. Having his huge jet-mode cannons dangling off of his wrists hurts his poseability a bit, and previous design teams probably would have tried to "fix" that, but I'm glad they didn't. It's a big part of what makes the guy recognizable.

Also, G1 Triggerhappy has some of the most beautiful colours and I'm really happy with how good a job they did matching them, something that doesn't always quite work (see the modern Legends Insecticons for examples of that going wrong).

If I have any complaints it's that I wish they'd based Blowpipe on the toy's head instead of the cartoon's, but that's just because I've had the G1 toy since 2004 or so and I've gotten used to it. The face looks a lot better in person that it does in photographs, anyway.

Old 2017-02-14, 07:45 PM   #5674
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I was idling around town waiting for my train home and stumbled into B&M which currently has some Combiner Wars figures on clearance (and also all of DCs 6" Movie Themed Suicide Squad figures with a BAF that's Killer Croc - I didn't bite as they looks kind of weird, especially Harley Quinn whose eyes are too far apart), and picked up Prowl and Mirage (thought I might get Sky Lynx some random limb mates).

Prowl is pretty awesome, for an afterthought repaint. I had Streetwise before selling the Protectobots on, but I think Prowl does a better job of the mould Streetwise. Maybe its the super crisp black and white paintwork, but he really is much nicer than I was expecting him to be.

Mirage is pretty good too. The curvy-ness of the Drag Strip mould suits him and the better integrated blue combiner port works wonders for the robot mode. Headsculpt is nice, but I'm not sure about the buck-toothed beard thing he's got going on. He's lumbered with a grey repaint of Dead End's rubbish sword thing, which is the only real downside.

Old 2017-02-17, 02:15 PM   #5675
HotShot81
Triple Changer

Canada, Land of Ice and Snow

I went shopping for shoes, and a DVD yesterday. Now we all know the stories about Wal-Mart, and how you can find everything and anything there, except a decent paying job. Ohh, how I kid here.

Well, after finding the DVD I wanted to buy, I visited the Plastic Crack Department, I.E the Toy section. Who should I see they are just stocking? Why Ominus & Skyshadow, and thanks to the great review on him, I took one out of those boxes Hasbro shipped him in and made a bee line for the cash. I mean why should Wal-Mart care if I didn't take him off the shelves.

HotShot81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-18, 03:58 PM   #5676
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

I've been getting a fair amount of Titans Return toys over the past month or two, but been too lazy to post here, mostly because my opinions are the same as everyone else... but this time I've got something different! Something Beast Wars-y. I've got BW Insecticon and BW Inferno as part of my ever-growing zoo of Beast Wars toys.

Insecticon is freaking amazing. I've had him for half a day, and he's easily one of the best toys I own. Generally toys that auto-transform with springs are either super-simple, or are kind of shit because of it, but not Insecticon. He pops from bug to robot very smoothly, his robot mode has enough articulation to make some toys engineered two decades after him feel shame, his paint scheme and his matte bug shell looks wonderful... and that would've been enough. This toy is nearly as old as I am, being a well-articulated toy that looks good as a robot and as a bug would've been good enough. It's not just that, however -- its bug wings can open, and within those bug wings are two parts of a crossbow weapon. I didn't know Insecticon even had a weapon, let alone such a cool-looking one that fits in neatly in his beast mode. I'm not talking shit about the other Beast Wars toys, but in a toyline where everyone uses chunks of their beast mode to fight, Insecticon's weapon looks really unique.

Also he's exactly as tall as the three Legends Class Generations Insecticons that are swarming my table.

Inferno... is a bit of a disappointment. I knew he was a bit of a bad toy even before getting him, though, so at least it's a known quantity. His beast mode has very obvious robot mode kibble, what with his robot legs pretending to be the rearmost insect legs, but his robot mode is... eh. It suffers from the same problem as Titans Return Scourge and Blurr in that it's not necessarily a bad mould, but it's just so damned boring with being cast in two shades of the same colour. And for Inferno it's a bit worse since I have a clear image in my mind how Inferno's supposed to look -- and the CG model has a lot of metallic gray highlights on his limbs and crotch that makes him a lot more interesting than his toy. His gun is also a lot less impressive than what the cartoon leads me to believe.

The thing is, the toy actually has paint -- it's just all on the inner sides of his (admittedly fun) rotating abdomen thing. Which looks cool -- Inferno's abdomen splits apart into these rotor blades, and inside is like this gatling gun looking thing. But it's only visible if Inferno's aiming his split-open butt at you, and from the front his toy looks kinda boring.

He's decently articulated, though the big honking abdomen sticking from his waist means that there's not a lot of poses he can hold without support. And while two of his bug-mode legs end up on his lower arms, the other two just hang awkwardly off the sides of his chest, either screwing up his arms' articulation range, or screwing up the spinning abdomen blade gimmick. No wonder this dude shelfwarmed in spite of being a relatively long-running show character. Still like him, though -- he hangs out next to his mighty queen, burning everything in his path.

So yeah, I've got one of the best toys in Beast Wars and arguably one of the worst... but I still love them. So.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-18, 11:32 PM   #5677
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Y'know, one of the things that did make the BW show toys look a bit pale was that the CG models with their metallic touches made some of the original figures look poor by comparison (Megatron is another). That's not the case when you get to the Transmetals and Fuzors, though, which match up pretty well to their onscreen counterparts (still love TM Tarantulas and Rampage).

Insecticon is awesome. He's my favourite of all those early Basics figures, followed by Terrorsaur.

Old 2017-02-19, 02:18 AM   #5678
Warcry

I've owned Insecticon for like 21 years now and I still love the figure as much as I did the day I first opened it up. In fact I love it so much I bought an MoC one a year or two ago to replace my rather well-loved, beat-up original. He's one of the classics of his era, up there with stuff like the Cyberjets, Laser Prime and the original munky Primal.

(And the best part about most of those toys is that you can still get them for a reasonable price more than two decades on!)

Not surprised that Inferno was a disappointment. I've never owned one but the lack of paint and the almost candy-looking plastic used for some of the parts really make him look poor. He's one of a handful of show characters that I'm really hoping get a Generations or MP update in the near future, right up near the top of the list with Dinobot and Black Arachnia.

Old 2017-02-19, 08:27 AM   #5679
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Dinobot's original toy (whilst not show accurate in anyway - the CG model takes a lot of liberties and has an awful lot of dino parts just...disappear) is actually pretty good and I really like it! The only big flaw in it is that the shoulders don't lock into place. I suppose the big robo-legs are a bit of a miss, but cast in translucent plastic, they don't look too bad in beast mode.

The original Spider-bot mould is pretty awful,though. Not even the CG model makes that look good. Especially for Tarantulas.

Old 2017-02-20, 11:25 AM   #5680
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

A side-effect of reading so many of your excellent reviews has got me very, very curious about the individually-packed Titan Masters. The first two toy shops I went to didn't have any of them, though, other than a lone Clobber, so I decided to go one price point up and look at the Legends class toys. Don't care about the cassettes, Bumblebee looks good but I don't care about him either, but Gnaw? Yeah, I do want him. Watching the 1986 movie last night might've been a factor to me suddenly wanting a Sharkticon toy.

He's a chubby robot that turns into a chubby fat shark-thing... well, vaguely shark-thing? I think Ganon's description in his review of TR Gnaw, "Walking Chubby Piranha-Frog", is as apt as any. His colour scheme is a portent to the glorious Seacons and Spinisters and Quakes that the G1 toyline will release a couple of years after the original Gnaw, with pink and teal randomly mixed in with the mainly-gray paint scheme. It's a bit more hollow than what I'm used to because they had to make him such a fatty-fat, but I like him.

His robot mode is, I think, the weaker one out of the two thanks to how hollow his back feels, but eh, it's a Sharkticon. I'm displaying it in its Sharkticon mode.

Also he can fit Titan Masters in his mouth. Which is a lot cooler than the very boring cockpit or whatever that other Legends-class Titan Masters toys have.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote