• transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2017-02-20, 11:25 AM   #5681
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

A side-effect of reading so many of your excellent reviews has got me very, very curious about the individually-packed Titan Masters. The first two toy shops I went to didn't have any of them, though, other than a lone Clobber, so I decided to go one price point up and look at the Legends class toys. Don't care about the cassettes, Bumblebee looks good but I don't care about him either, but Gnaw? Yeah, I do want him. Watching the 1986 movie last night might've been a factor to me suddenly wanting a Sharkticon toy.

He's a chubby robot that turns into a chubby fat shark-thing... well, vaguely shark-thing? I think Ganon's description in his review of TR Gnaw, "Walking Chubby Piranha-Frog", is as apt as any. His colour scheme is a portent to the glorious Seacons and Spinisters and Quakes that the G1 toyline will release a couple of years after the original Gnaw, with pink and teal randomly mixed in with the mainly-gray paint scheme. It's a bit more hollow than what I'm used to because they had to make him such a fatty-fat, but I like him.

Also he can fit Titan Masters in his mouth. Which is a lot cooler than the very boring cockpit or whatever that other Legends-class Titan Masters toys have.

Blackjack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-23, 03:04 PM   #5682
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

A little box from HTS showed up last night that contained CW Groove (Legends) and CW Chop Shop. The latter is pretty darn awesome, and none of the pictures I have seen so far really captured the slight metallic flake in the rust-colored plastic. It really gives him a bit of buggy-translucence that I didn't expect. Overall he's super solid, and I think I might actually like him better than Shrapnel!

Groove is... OK. Mostly I bought him as a starter to eventually build a Defensor, figuring I would start on the cheap end and work my way up. The little motorcycle mode is pretty sweet, and he's a nice little figure. I'm bugged a bit by how lanky and long his legs are compared to the rest of his body. I think I like him a little bit more than I should though, so we'll see if that holds up in a few weeks.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-23, 09:44 PM   #5683
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

CW Ironhide and Sunstreaker

Bought to round out some limbs for Sky Reign (Mirage and Ironhide make for good legs for him, Prowl is passable as an arm, as is Sunstreaker, but the yellow doesn't work with the red white and blue everyone else has going on).

Ironhide makes a decent go of the Off Road mould, although his head is a biton the small side. I like his bright red plastic and gun metal paint apps on the hubs and grill. The yellow striping is very clean and crisp too and, as with Prowl and Mirage, I really like him!

Sunstreaker though, ugh. He just looks awful. I can't understand why everyone rags on the Brawl mode so much when this faux-Lambo mould is to my mind the weakest of the CW moulds by a country mile. Whilst the vehicle mode is very striking, the robot mode is just a flabby pile of crap with horrible stick arms. Sunstreaker's tiny bonce draws too much attention to all the flaws of this mould. It makes me sad.

I've also really enjoyed the comics that came with Mirage, Prowl, Ironhide and Sunstreaker, being as they feature actual proper chunks of the Combiner Wars storyline.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-24, 12:12 AM   #5684
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

I found CW Jetfire at a thrift shop for US$3. He's missing his accessories, rudders, and al-mode cockpit. But, his bot mode looks great, especially with TM Brawl and Siren/Loudmouth plugged into his wrists as weapons. I've also got Apeface and Clobber/Grimlock mounted as weapons on his wings, and my other T-rexes mouned to his legs.

For some reason, I really like the way the shoulders articulate out. I guess I'm just used to any shoulder armor moving with the limb, so the jets staying aligned with the torso seems like a nice change. The way the chest transforms into the jet vents is pretty clever.

Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-25, 04:14 PM   #5685
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

I finally bought Generations T30 Sandstorm as he wasn't available over here only getting the movie line at the time, after shopping around for literally the last couple of years, locally, used at about retail price.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-26, 12:41 AM   #5686
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

Titans Return Megatron: I kinda had to talk myself into this one, because barring Sixshot, Magnus Prime(as long as they release him the way they teased him, Super Ginrai in American packaging), and a hoped for Nightbeat, I don't think there's a lot in the line coming up that I really want. In fact, I was planning to wait for the Blitzwing retool to get this mold. Then I saw this mold in the store. And you know, I really like it. He looks really good. I even like the stickers, as baffling as that sounds. They feel kind of cheap, but they work. My only real complaint is lack of color. A little extra trim color(through stickers if not paint) would work great.

That and I think I'm going to take a black marker to Megatron's Titan gun seat thing. It makes his fusion cannon look odd.

EDIT: After taking a Sharpie to it, his fusion cannon now looks far more uniform than half a fusion cannon with a grey chair on the back.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642

Last edited by Heinrad; 2017-03-01 at 02:24 AM.
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-02, 06:22 PM   #5687
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

So I've got my mits on MP Grapple. Much the same deal as Inferno, but with tweaks here and there to accommodate the crane in place of a telescopic ladder.

Having quite a bit of difficulty getting the back to click into place properly, to be honest. I can see where stuff looks like it should line up and tab/click together, but it's just not going without misaligning other parts along the way. As ever the instructions being in a fictional language doesn't really help.

The legs have a lot more sculpted detail than Inferno (ie they actually have sculpted detail) which breaks up the effect a lot more so it looks less lazy.

Good tight joints, nice effect. Still a bit on the chubby side, but that's the character model for you. I think people will have made up their minds about this before they buy it, to be honest. If you want to love it, you probably will... if you didn't like the Inferno toy, I don't see this doing much more than the pictures would have done to win you round.

Hopefully now they'll carry on this size point with Trailbreaker and Hoist.

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-03, 05:28 PM   #5688
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Tarn!

After wrestling with Impactor both times I've tried to transform him, I was expecting a toy that would basically be just a cool robot. To my great relief though he has by far the most straightforward transformation of any 3P toy I've owned, I only had to look at the instructions for the arms! And then it was fairly obvious what you were supposed to do, it just took a bit more pressure than I was expecting so I double checked.

The result is still more a robot than a alt mode toy (made up tanks are nice and all, but not all that sexy), but it's a really nice robot that looks good and imposing and has a nice range of motion with the ludicrous double fusion cannon not messing things up to much.

Considering 3P's have avoided faction symbols up till now I'm amazed they did the mask. The fact it's removable is cool, whose face is beneath it is hilarious though (ah, 3P hubris, making assumptions before story-lines are concluded).

Oh, and be careful if you open up the panels on what are his feet in robot mode, what the instructions don't tell you is there are six little removable missiles in there. Went right in my face.

Yeah, a winner. Now I want an Overlord and Deathsaurus to disapprove of him.

The "No, honestly, this is a totally original character!" comic is rather sweet with this one, though still awful. Turns out Kulture is a guy who likes...culture! He goes to the theatre (or based on the size of the fembots boobs, a strip joint), likes wearing a cape, hanging about with Autobot X (are they doing him as well, or is that totally random?) and disguising himself by painting his face red to perform Jeremy Beadle style pranks.

Zany guy.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-03, 05:37 PM   #5689
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
The fact it's removable is cool, whose face is beneath it is hilarious though (ah, 3P hubris, making assumptions before story-lines are concluded).
You won't be laughing when they do the proper face as an add-on in a future toy you don't want but will end up buying to get the part.

Old 2017-03-04, 09:09 AM   #5690
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

TR Ravage

Still need to get Rumble and Soundwave to complete the group, however Soundwave doesn't appear to be available in stores here so I'm going to have to buy him online along with Rumble possibly as well.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-05, 08:28 PM   #5691
Heinrad
Ironmod

Titans Return Twinferno: I've always liked Doublecross' design, but I never got the toy. He's a really odd 2-headed dragon, but he does look neat. My only complaint is the holes in the sides of the dragon heads for the guns when he's in robot mode. They throw he symmetry off. Robot mode looks pretty good, and his feet have a neat design.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

Old 2017-03-06, 07:25 PM   #5692
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Masterpiece Cheetor is gloriously meh.

As you were.

Hashtag good reviews. Hashtag should have a Youtube channel.

Old 2017-03-07, 06:28 AM   #5693
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
Masterpiece Cheetor is gloriously meh.
Mine is still in the mail, but I hear that the best mode is better than the robot. Curious to see if that holds true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrad View Post
Titans Return Twinferno: I've always liked Doublecross' design, but I never got the toy. He's a really odd 2-headed dragon, but he does look neat. My only complaint is the holes in the sides of the dragon heads for the guns when he's in robot mode. They throw he symmetry off. Robot mode looks pretty good, and his feet have a neat design.
Grabbed this guy, though! I'm pretty sure that Walmart only put out a single case, but the only thing that had been picked over when I got there were the Triggerhappys. I've always really liked the Monsterbots, so grabbing a modern Doublecross was a no brainer.

I really like the blocky mech-dragon mode. In fact, I think it might be my favourite of the TR beasts so far. The three 'Con molds have a lot of personality but aren't the greatest for poseability. This guy has just as much personality (really, it's amazing how much presence all the 1988 beasts had and how good of a job today's designers have done in capturing it) while also being a lot more flexible, and he's really just a ton of fun. He could really use a waist swivel, but there's a Titan Master compartment in his lower torso so it's understandable why he doesn't.

I thought the robot mode was a little clunky. The skirt-flap gets in the way of his legs, the arms are understandably a bit gimped by being dragons, and the lack of a waist swivel is a bit less understandable now. Also, universal 5mm pegs are awesome but I really wish they'd optimized his guns so that he could hold them in his mouths a bit less awkwardly. It kind of works if you leave them combined but it's clearly not natural. The lower legs and feet are really well done, though.

It's not often that I leave a figure in alt-mode the majority of the time, but I think this guy's likely to wind up that way.

And after seeing it in person, I'm even more hopeful than before that this toy eventually gets retooled into Fangry.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-07, 03:02 PM   #5694
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
And after seeing it in person, I'm even more hopeful than before that this toy eventually gets retooled into Fangry.
I was initially going to say 'fat chance' since they already made the Titan Master for the line...

But then I realized they made a Titan Master and Legends class Brawn in the same line, so there's a pretty good shot there that it'll be done.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-07, 04:38 PM   #5695
Warcry

With the molds they've already made, the small Headmasters seem like ideal late wave/box set retool and repaint fodder. They've even got the head tooling for them!

Give Doublecross new arms that combine into a single neck/head and you've got Fangry. A new tail and beast head for Weirdwolf would give you a passable Horri-Bull, and new feet would complete the package if they're feeling generous. Replace Mindwipe's folding bat wing legs with Squeezeplay's pincer feet and give him a new beast head and you're set there too. Chromedome and Hot Rod would make for a passable Nightbeat and Siren without any new tooling required at all (though ideally they'd switch the heads to make them comic-accurate since the toy-accurate ones already came out individually). The only one who doesn't have an easy option is Hosehead, who I guess would have to be made from Kup by default.

At this point I doubt they're in the plans for the main line. Between the latest reveals and the rumours that have been floating around, it sounds like the Targetmasters will be the focus of the last couple TR waves, which I'm hardly going to complain about since I love the Targetmasters. But hopefully a couple of them get made later, either in a box set or as a Takara release.

Old 2017-03-07, 08:27 PM   #5696
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Fanstoys Grimlock/Grinder is here and he is immense. He's like regular Masterpiece Grimlock, but done in a mid-80s WWF everyone-was-on-steroids style.

Transformation is a bit underwhelming. There's a lot of parts that look or feel like they should be clipping or tabbing or slotting into something but don't. There's nothing innovative about the sequence, fairly basic even by Grimlock standards. No muss, no fuss. Gets the job done, little more. Might have to muck about with him a bit more, as the beast mode torso isn't flush on one side...

Beyond that, it's a Fanstoys Dinobot. Massive and covered in shiny. Looks superb with the other four, though I'm going to have to rethink my shelving for the group, as the space I'd left in no way accommodates him in the way I'd expected.

Aaaand I think that's my incoming TFs done for the month. It's either feast or famine innit.

Old 2017-03-10, 02:31 AM   #5697
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

This isn't really a new acquisition, but I finally opened the AoE Hot Shot (Tracks) I got last year. The coat is solid blue, while the lower robot is mostly black, so the cloak effect actually looks better than it does on Crosshairs, who has a mix of green and black for both. At least, it's easier to tell what it is from more than couple inches away.

There's some red detail on the blue forearms that was left unpainted on Crosshairs. I didn't even notice that the forearm detail was asymmetrical in CH.

The only point where the new guy falls short is the head paint. CH has green goggles, which stand out against the black head and silver face. Hotspot has a white head and goggles, witha red face to match G1 Tracks. This just makes the head look unfinished.

While fiddling with him, I noticed that the small pistol handles let you put one in on the top of the hand, like normal, and the other on the bottom of the same hand, making it look like a dual barreled gun gripped in the middle. That leaves the other hand free for the rifle, so he can wield all three of his weapons at once.

Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Last edited by Tantrum; 2017-03-10 at 03:53 AM.
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-12, 01:01 AM   #5698
Heinrad
Ironmod

TR Gnaw: I think I can see why people love this figure. I never thought a Sharkticon would have such sad, soulful eyes. His robot mode is kind of neat, but I put him in shark mode, set him down to do something else, then looked back at him...... He looks so sad.

Old 2017-03-13, 09:26 PM   #5699
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Machine Wars Starscream
Sexy redeco of the Skyquake mould, although the neutered Scope Master gimmick is a shame. Can't say as I miss the piddly hand cannon Skyquake had and the carpet bombing gimmick is still ace fun. The gothy colours of black, grey, teal, trans blue and bone white are killer. The toy's halmark of being a cheap store exclusive is borne out in the cheap packaging design - nothing interesting on the back except the instructions, which miss out label directions for half the sticker sheet. Hooray!

Machine Wars Soundwave
Nice military recolour of Stalker, kind of a shame they didn't go with the blue and red of the box art, but the grey brown and green isn't so bad. Again, the neutered Scope Master gimmick is a shame. I really like this mould and its a good looking toy. Although a cheap repaint, I like that some effort has been made to update Soundwave's bio to include references to his new tank alt mode. Probably the best not-a-tape-deck-on-wheels update Soundwave ever got.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-15, 04:56 AM   #5700
Warcry

Got my Cheetor. Kind of lukewarm to it. The figure absolutely defies my expectations, but not entirely in a good way. From the pics I'd seen, I'd expected a really nice cat mode, but it's actually all kinds of a mess. Panels everywhere, lots of robot mode bits on display, and nothing tabs together the way it should. The leg articulation is so awkward that it's really difficult to get a satisfying pose out of the thing in spite of having a zillion joints and lots of head options.

On the other hand, I didn't expect to be impressed by the robot mode but they did a great job with it. The original Cheetor toy was honestly pretty weak, and the changes that the Mainframe show model made to it (the flattened chest and exaggerated head) didn't make it look any better. But Takara have turned some not especially good source material into a very good action figure. Cheetor's got wonderful articulation and good balance, and he looks really fluid in most poses. Primal's robot mode had some awkwardness with the elbows and knees where the CGI model didn't quite translate into physical reality, but there's none of that on Cheetor. The engineers did a great job making Mainframe's design into a working toy.

Unfortunately, my Cheetor suffers from QC issues -- too-tight joints throughout, tabs that won't tab together and a waist-flap hinge that was already broken before I took him out of the box. Not super impressed on that score. Half of the problems crop up in cheetah mode and most of the rest make themselves evident while transforming him, and that's a big issue because we're talking about an ROTF-tier over-engineered transformation here. And from what I hear these are pretty common issues.

So Cheetor winds up being a one-mode figure that I'm honestly not sure if I'll ever bother transforming again. And I'm having a fair bit of fun playing with him in robot mode. But I expect more than one good mode out of a $60-plus-shipping Masterpiece figure, so this is a bit of a disappointment.