• transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2011-01-18, 09:43 PM   #1841
Sunrunner
Micromaster

Busy few days; my Munitioner and Explorer finally turned up, and also picked up Special Ops Jazz.
The Crossfire kits are both really good, the individual figures being geewun enough to keep me happy, but its when you join them with the other Combats into Bruticus that you see you've got your moneys worth (a good thing considering the prices some of these are going for, I was lucky to find a "cheap" deal...). Lets be honest Bruticus Maximus was/is a pretty pisspoor gestalt IMO, but these 2 upgrades turn him into a feckin awesome bot! Once I get my display cabinet sorted this guy is taking centreplace in my Neo-G1 Decepticon line-up.

But as much as I'm loving Bruticus, its Jazz I cant put down. Its been a long time coming, but definately worth the wait to finally get a Jazz in the Classics/Universe/Generations/RTS lineup. This guy is simply that good. He is up there with Sunstreaker as one of my favourite Neo-G1 bots. I cannot recommend this guy enough, go get him

Sunrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 09:15 AM   #1842
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK
Talking

RTS Windcharger from my local-ish Tesco. Woohoo!

Looks like Tesco will be stocking RTS! Grapple will be mine...

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 06:29 AM   #1843
Ackula
Charnel House

CA

I finally ran across a Generations Blurr today at Wal*Mart while I was there picking up some household items. This has been the first time I've seen one in a retail store, so I grabbed it up.

I have to say, for a repaint/remold, it really outshines the original Drift figure. It is amazing what some paint apps and a new head can do for a toy. The car mode looks a lot less silly without the Japanese characters on the side, and the robot mode looks a ton better with a nice vivid Autobot logo on the chest and duel pistols in holsters.

The whole "tripod" gimmick really fails though in my opinion, there really aren't many opportunities for posing the figure with the gun/tripod realistically, unless you have him behind something waist high with the gun propped up while he is down on one knee.

Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 03:38 AM   #1844
burnitall
Triple Changer

Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackula View Post
I finally ran across a Generations Blurr today at Wal*Mart while I was there picking up some household items. This has been the first time I've seen one in a retail store, so I grabbed it up.

I have to say, for a repaint/remold, it really outshines the original Drift figure. It is amazing what some paint apps and a new head can do for a toy. The car mode looks a lot less silly without the Japanese characters on the side, and the robot mode looks a ton better with a nice vivid Autobot logo on the chest and duel pistols in holsters.

The whole "tripod" gimmick really fails though in my opinion, there really aren't many opportunities for posing the figure with the gun/tripod realistically, unless you have him behind something waist high with the gun propped up while he is down on one knee.
Finally found him at TRU. Have to say, I agree with you on all points. The tripod looks more like a double blaster bayonet... thing, or something. I dunno. There's not too much you can do with that big gun.
Also picked up Thunderwing and HFTD Tomahawk and Terradive. I'll open those last two tomorrow.

burnitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 04:47 PM   #1845
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Wow!

Picking up dinner today in Asda I found a RTS Windcharger! Which I snapped up. And love. He'd be perfect if it weren't for his fiddly legs (maybe I'll get the knack with practice) and price (7.97).

Also picked up RTS Legends Megatron and Trailcutter (not opened yet...). At 3.97 each, Legends seem to have had their price cut again! Woo! Prime and Prowl looked too awful to even consider though.

I am a very happy bunny!

Right - off to clean the cowpoo off my kit.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 07:58 AM   #1846
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

My order of Energon Megatron and Scorponok came in yesterday from the Australian branch of Ebay and they are generally complete with just a few bits missing, and I really like Megatron and how reminiscent he is of G1 Galvatron, and I don't really have a problem mwiththem costing me about $90.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 10:04 AM   #1847
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Opened RTS G1 Megatron and Trailcutter.

Trailcutter is about what you'd expect - not spectacular, but does the job well, and is fun to fiddle with. He follows the same transformation model as Legends Movie Ironhide, but looks much better, with no robot parts sticking out in 4x4 mode.

G1 Megatron on the otherhand is totally awesome! I wish they'd make a Deluxe or Voyager scale figure using the same basic transformation model - it could be the perfect upgrade of the original. It is very very well thought through indeed! And the robot mode is superb, and very poseable!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Old 2011-01-27, 09:26 PM   #1848
Sunrunner
Micromaster

Headed over to my nearest Asda after hearing they had RTS in stock, hoping to pick up a Tracks. No luck with that; they only had Fall(Out)back and Mindset. I did pick up Windcharger though on a whim - he is the first Scout Class figure I have ever got - but the quality of this little guy brokered the deal, he really is a great little figure (Just a shame he is not a Deluxe to fit into scale with my other Autobot cars).
Throwing caution to the wind I also picked up my first Legends class figures as well. I had been toying with the idea of picking up WST Optimus and Megatron to adorn my desk (far less intrusive than the Masterpieces ) But I suprisingly liked the look of the new Legends versions. They are actually pretty cool little figures, just ridiculously overpriced!

Sunrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 05:56 PM   #1849
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Haven't updated this in awhile so.. gods.. where to begin... how about some quick thoughts?

Robot Masters Doubleface
Picked this up as a 'clearance item' on a lark and I have to say that I'm actually impressed. Doubleface is a "Sideways" repaint of G2's Road Pig figure. It's been a long time since I've had a Laser Cycle (the last time was RID's Axer vs. Sideways set) so I've forgotten just how well these toys actually hold up. For this incarnation, Doubleface has been given a purple and yellow paint job to match his Armada appearance, minus the two Minicon headmasters.

Despite the lack of minicons, the figure, is many times improved over the Aramada one. The sculpt represents some of the best of G2 with excellent articulation (lacking the knees due to transformation, and waist for the same reason). It also has a clean LED gimmick which activates his "exhaust laser" , the frighteningly-named "shaftbreaker". Push down on the chest or back and it lights up. Simple but effective with the light-piping.

In short, while well beyond the 'must-get' status, it's a very nice figure and shows how well G2 could have been if Hasbro had put in the effort the entire time instead of the second/third year. The figure holds up well in any incarnation and Doubleface is a nice way to throw Sideways into your classics collection and have it fit, both in terms of the toy, and the Japanese fiction included.

Cybertron Crumplezone
I really can't explain why I got this guy again. Crumplezone's character is a typical 'thug' Decepticon that is long on muscle and short on brain. It's probably that he's part of a two-man pulp noire team that drives him home to me or something, despite me not liking the series that he's from.

Crumplezone is a 'tech dragster' of the monster variety. As such he's a big toy, though probably one size class too big for the amount of detail on him. Vehicle mode is nice and imposing with two big engine/cannons to add the Cyberkey gimmick. It works well enough, and will fill the room with a bizzare noise that is either his weapons coming on line or he's dropping quaters in a Q*Bert machine. I'm not sure which.

In some ways the robot mode evokes the intent of the character, so it works, but it's again fairly simplistic and the ape-like proportions seem to point out the flaws in the toy rather than show off the character concept. This mode really needed more detailing to work, or an improvement in the legs or something. Not really awful, per se, but lacking.

Overall Crumplezone is a little bit of a dissapointment in this size class and probably would have worked a lot better as a deluxe all things considered. Not a must get, but his pairing with Ransack (particularly the GT version) is somehow endearing to me. Most people could probably just give this a miss, though.

BayVerse Fracture
I think I talked about this girl before so I'll sum up. Fracture is a Wal*Mart exclusive redeco of the Classics Mirage figure, designed as an homage to the GoBot character, Crasher. While not exactly a perfect fit, it does work well enough, with the color scheme invoking the character's animation model. The lavender face also turns Mirage surprisingly feminine, making this redeco pretty believable all around. Again, not a 'must get', but she's pretty cheap to come by (insert joke here) since Wal*Mart had a shit-load of her. While technically a movie figure, it fits very well in your Classics verse, for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Jaynz; 2011-01-28 at 07:50 PM.
Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 06:29 PM   #1850
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

KO Henkei Yellow Seeker
This is the KO "Sunstorm that isn't Sunstorm." It was originally intended to be such, based on the Universe coloring of the figure rather than the more popular eHobby pallette. It is a damn-nigh-perfect replica of the Henkei Seeker mold, done in an off-yellow and light-gray scheme. Since the mold itself has been reviewed many times, I'll skip that and talk about this release instead.

The figure is, mostly, indiscernable from the official Takara product, which has both good and bad points. It is an amazing figure for a knock-off, and it reproduces everything, including packaging, very well. On the other hand, the Henkei's mold weaknesses are here too, with the upper arms being poor in tolerances, making the guns and shoulders a bit loose. This fault isn't as bad as Henkei Thundercracker, but it's fairly glaring.

Paint apps are decent but not perfect. The 'red trim line' on my wings was sloppy in a few spots, but not terrible. The Decepticon symbols and other details are pretty much as you would expect from a Takara release - not perfect but far better than most knock-offs would dare even attempt.

I won't say that this guy is a 'must buy' since he's more of an anon-character and a knock-off toy, but it's pretty cool as a 3rd party filler. I do wish that the packaging, et al, would turn this into a pure 'fan product' rather than stick so closely to an apparent bootleg (it's clearly sold as a knock-off, but I know some people will think it's the real thing). It's a decent enough unique article for the price, but there are issues...

RtS Bumblebee
Most of us is already familiar with the Classics version of this mold, which was updated with the 'movie deco' during the BayMovie's first run. This version of Bumblebee has a smidge more black trim paint on him, breaking up the sheer yellow otherwise present. Not much more to say on him, really. If you don't have a classics Bumblebee yet, here's your chance to get one cheap. Otherwise, he's not really different enough to warrant another purchase.

Speedstars Lockdown
I got to be honest, I didn't expect this line to ever see the light of day. The RPMs did not go over well and there was pretty much no enthusiasm for these guys to return (though, my daughter likes them well enough). Yet, today, a whole new facing of Speedstar packs flooded the local Target. Of them, there were only two that drew any interest, so I grabbed them. The first is Lockdown.

Lockdown is a rare new mold for the Speedstars line. This is based mostly on the Animated version and actually looks pretty good. It's definately under-detailed, being primarily black with some metallic green paint on the canopy and hood to evoke the character a bit. There's a little bit of silver-gray on the exhaust details on the sides as well. Not spectacular, but it holds up well amongst most Matchbox cars.

Robot 'mode' is a little weaker, as Speedstars only has the paintapps common to the tail end of the RPM line. Lockdown is done primarily in brass here and doesn't really look like him all that much. None of the details are the same, and the head looks more like a certain freelance bounty-hunter than Lockdown, yes? Kinda cute, but no real reason to get this guy unless you WANT a Lockdown to chase around your little cars...

Speedstars Bluestreak
The second of my Speedstar purchases is Bluestreak, a blue redeco of Sideswipe which homages no one in particular. The blue in car mode is offset with yellow/gold paint lines along the sides and an off-set yellow-gold Autobot symbol on the hood. Way to be in disguise there, Bluestreak. The metallic fleck in the blue paint is actually fairly nice, though.

Amusingly while the card-art shows "Bluestreak" on the figure's label it's still clearly marked with an unpainted "Sideswipe", like Wreckloose before him. The robot is painted nearly entirely in blue with details left in the matte black from the car's underside. The lack of effort here belies why the RPMs didn't do well in the first place...

Old 2011-01-28, 07:45 PM   #1851
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

More quickthoughts:

RtS Laser Optimus Prime
Have you ever wondered what it would be like if BayVerse Leader Optimus Prime and G2 Laser Optimus Prime had a love-child? Wonder no more! In all honestly, that's probably the best way to describe this figure, an amalgamation of features found in the two designs. How well this works for you is going to largely be a matter of personal taste.

Vehicle mode is a long-nose cab based heavily on the G2 figure, with the red nose tapering to black, though the flames and blue body come off the movie incarnation. The vehicle mode is fairly attractive and well-done, complete withe a detailed hitch and double-wheeled tail end. The RtS gimmick is on top of the canopy itself, rub it and reveal which side Optimus Prime is on!

SPOILER! (select to read)
He's an Autobot, idiots.

Seriously, guys, you're masking the ****ing allegiance of Optimus Prime? How stupid do you think your target audience really is, anyway? Ahem... I'll be glad when this gimmick is over, or at least not sold in nearly such a retarded way (more on that in a bit).

Transformation is a little more involved than expected, and certainly moreso than the Laser Rod. The result is to avoid 'cheating' the chest/window arrangement, and it works fairly well. The cab windows are a little tricky since they need to be inset before you can bring up the chest. You'll have to reach in there and fold them out when going back as well.

Robot mode continues the mixed-homage. This is definately a 'new' take on Laser Prime, with 'broken panel' detailings all over the arms and head, just like you would expect on a BayVerse figure, but not to the same degree. The result is a little odd, not quite pulling off either homage, but a decent enough figure that does invoke "Optimus Prime". As a bonus, the trailer hitch becomes the "Sword of Fury" (or will when a certain redeco inevitably comes out) by transforming as well. It works fairly well, but I admit that it makes me miss the Laser Rod's LED light-piping. One little bonus, the cowlings for the front wheels fold over in robot mode to form a back-scabbard for the sword. Nice touch.

One last comment about robot mode. Prime is small for a Deluxe. Most of his warriors in Deluxe size will be a full head over him, making him stand out for the wrong reasons. It's noticable enough that you'll think he's small before you stand him next to Perceptor or Wreck Gar. It just looks off.

In the end this RtS figure is a fairly mixed bag of 'awesome' and 'bwah' moments. It's Laser Prime, but not. It's movie Prime, but not. It's a tiny leader with an awesome sword. It's got an intricate transformation for the chest, and nowhere else. It's got an awesome sword, and no other weapons, like a gun that works with him.

It's really hard to say how this figure should be rated, since he's so insanely mixed in what it's trying to accomplish. He's defniatley not the equivalent of Laser Prime for our age, to be sure, so that comparison would be dissapointing. He's a good toy, but weird... maybe if he was one size class larger, like a voyager, it would be more passable. As it is, he's a little hard to recommend above the two figures he's homaging. Movie Leader Prime is still shipping everywhere... G2 Laser Prime is a lot harder to find, of course, but has all those gimmicks that made him awesome which just aren't present here. And, of course, no trailer.

Long and short of it? He's Prime, he's going to sell. I can't say that he's a must-have by a longshot, though, and there are better Primes out there particularly if you're a BayVerse fan. If you're hard-up for a classics Prime filler, then this probably will work, if you don't mind him eye-level to Megatron's waist.

Reveal the Shield Poster
Remember that I said 'more on the stupidity'? Well, the poster that comes with this assortment is funny for a very wrong reason. The poster has an ad for the two pack of Cyclonus and Rodimus. All well and good but they attempted to super-impose a black 'rub-sign' over their faction symbols to mask their allegience. As idiotic as this is, they also promptly missed the mark, leaving odd black marks about 1/2 of an inch to the right of the visible faction symbols.

Seriously, Hasbro... give it up.

Old 2011-01-28, 08:20 PM   #1852
electro girl
Tall child, holding a beer.

Robot Republic of Yorkshire.

I'm opening RTS Tracks as we speak. Found him at Asda.

-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
electro girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 08:23 PM   #1853
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Okay, I'm going to stop mocking RtS for the next two quickthoughts (while catching up). They're both Autobots. Spoilers be damned.

Rts Perceptor
Some time ago "Orson", handler of things Transformers and leaker to the internets admitted a certain disdain for 'Real Gear' style transformers. In other words, if it was an object like a gun, tape-deck, microscope, or electric pencil sharpener, he didn't want to see it made. Now, while Megatron had long since been a Tank by this point, guys like Reflector, Soundwave, Blaster, and Perceptor didn't see much hope for a new toy. Of course, the simple solution was to make Perceptor not actually be a microscope anymore. Classics made him a redeco of a Cybertron missile-launching thing... and now RtS makes him a research half-track.

Despite the fact that the original figure had a tank 'mid-mode' scheme to it, it's a little hard to accept the half-track as Perceptor. It's a very non-descript red half-track with an unusual lighting arrangement on top. It's a decent enough alt-mode that looks amazingly plain and conventional. No bizzare paint-apps, no street-lines, etc, anywhere to be found. Perhaps oddly, the simple functionality is a bit of a welcome change! The half-track van has only one real flaw which is common to nearly all tracked Transformers.. the tracks are a molded piece of plastic with a little wheel in it. C'est la vie.

Transformation to robot mode is surprisingly involved. The hood becomes a sort of backpack that requires some attention when flipping it around. You'll also need to move the lighting assembly off to the side while transforming, so it doesn't get in the way. The legs are non-intuitive at first, thanks to the folding panels up front, but it works out well enough after one or two goes. The result is... holy crap, it's Perceptor!

Perceptor is an iconic third-season G1 character, but never has seemed to get a break since then. As most of us were probably thinking he would be a repaint that's close enough, Hasbro turned around and gave a near-perfect robot mode homage. When I say 'holy crap', it's because this particular homage outstrips anything else short of the Masterpiece line in terms of G1 homages. It's just that insane, from the color choices to the shape of the robot mode. Dear God, someone over there loved him some Perceptor.

Robot mode is fully articulate aside from the waist and looks nearly spot-on like the original Perceptor, right down to the 'dials' on his arms. The shoulder-gun is decidedly different from a microscope lense, but the color use and placement make this a viable substitute. The chrome detailing on the chest mimicks the microscope tray fairly well (though stylized). The near-turquoise blue, black, and red are nearly spot-on ringers for the G1 incarnation.

It's rare that a Transformer figure has so very few things really wrong with it, and it's hard to really say anything bad about Percy here. The alt-mode may not fit for some tastes and might be a little 'too' mundane for them. There's a little finagling in the backpack part of the transformation. But these issues really seem trivial. This is Perceptor, and an extremely nice figure for 2011. I can't not recommend this one to anyone.

Old 2011-01-28, 08:38 PM   #1854
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Rts Wreck-Gar
Okay, last one for this update, I promise.

If there was a figure that the RtS gimmick might have worked for, it's Wreck Gar. When the original movie was advertised, it was hinted that Weird Al-fan Eric Idle was actually one of the bad guys, with Megatron selling this toy as Prime was selling us Springer. Further, he had red eyes and everyone knew that red eyes on a Transformer meant 'Decepticon' or 'Animation Error'. So the idea of Wreck-Gar with a Decepticon symbol wasn't that far fetched. Of course, he has an Autobot symbol which means that all eight of the Deluxes advertised in the line are Autobots. So much for not mocking the gimmick... sorries...

Anyway, Wreck-Gar gets a pretty good update here. Bike mode is what you would expect, a sleek and heavy chopper with the 'rust' colors of brown, orange, and peach with black and gray/silver details all over. Nothing too amazing in the detail, but it's a nice bike. Oh, this one is meant to be Transformer's scaled, and Wreck-Gar can indeed ride-himself if you get another one (or one of the two remold/redeco Junkions). Other figs have a harder time hanging on, though.

Transformation is not intuitive, unlike the G1 version of the character. Look for the chest on the underside of the bike and start refolding parts around to make the body. You'll get a left-side/right-side transformation going after a second or two which works out pretty well. The handle-bars are a pain, though. They're made of soft-plastic making them hard to move out of the way when you want to form the right leg. This is an unfortunate finicky part of the figure, but not a deal-breaker.

The Robot Mode comes off pretty well, posable everywhere it needs to be and carries a big axe! The lack of symmetry is downplayed a little with color choices and kept primarily to the legs (which has the front cowling on the right, and the seat on the left). Wheels are tucked off to the left, like the old figure. The boxy, angular look of both the G1 character and the Animated version has been replaced by a more 'muscular' bit, which doesn't quite work as Wreck-Gar here. Wreck-Gar's face also looks more at home with DC's Lobo than previous incarnations of the character. It looks good, mind you, but it's hard to see either Eric Idle or Weird Al voicing this guy. Jack Nicholson, maybe...

I can't say that the figure itself has any real flaws aside from the handle-bar issue. It's fully posable, it's oddly menacing, and well-detailed. It just envokes a very different and more dangerous take on Wreck-Gar than anything we've ever seen before. Somehow a "serious" take on the Junks just seems wrong.

Old 2011-01-28, 08:58 PM   #1855
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Classics Ramjet arrived while I was away for work, and was awaiting my return!

He's really cool actually - I really like the deco. I've always been a Skywarp and Thrust fan in terms of Seekers, but I think Ramjet beats Thrust in this 'line'. Skywarp still trumps him. The only trouble is with the missiles. I mean, frankly, they come across as oversized in the other Classics Seekers. Ramjet's bombs are just ridiculous in comparison. Although ostensibly minor, it is an obvious issue in either mode.

Still - he rocks! Worth the wait, search and money? Hell yeah!

Also items on eBay.
Old 2011-01-28, 10:10 PM   #1856
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

Went on a little spending spree. Picked up a G1 Octane (see my triple-changers thread), movieverse Jazz and Jolt (now I've got the whole set of movieverse on-screen autobots*) and Cosmos.
I love Cosmos. He's such a little babe. I think I'm gonna have to write a fanfic about where the hell he got that alt-mode.

*oh no, i forgot the bikes.
And Jetfire!
And wheelie!

Still alive, I'm just bad at keeping up with forums.
You can read my articles and reviews at gintendo.co.uk but I wouldn't bother if I were you.
Summerhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 10:54 PM   #1857
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerhayes View Post
I love Cosmos. He's such a little babe. I think I'm gonna have to write a fanfic about where the hell he got that alt-mode.
A grade-B movie set. Maybe Flash Gordon.

Old 2011-01-28, 11:09 PM   #1858
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFVanguard View Post
If you're hard-up for a classics Prime filler, then this probably will work, if you don't mind him eye-level to Megatron's waist.
How does he long alongside the Classics G2 Megatron? The one from the Ultimate Battle (or whatever it was called) two-pack. If this Prime needs to be in scale with anyone, it'd be him.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 12:28 AM   #1859
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
How does he long alongside the Classics G2 Megatron? The one from the Ultimate Battle (or whatever it was called) two-pack. If this Prime needs to be in scale with anyone, it'd be him.
That's a good question. My old one is boxed up and I haven't picked up the special white/red version yet. It might be fairly close, since the 2-Pack figures are small for deluxes as well.

Old 2011-01-29, 03:19 AM   #1860
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Went on a little trip today and found a Universe Prowl at a Rite-Aide near my house. A pleasant, if expensive, little surprise. He ran my almost $20, but I figure I saved shipping on him at the very least, so it's a deal in my book.

He's a nice figure and I like him a lot. He's just the right height in robot mode to look Jazz in the eye and in shape he pretty neat. The only thing I'd change is that his over the shoulder guns are all white. A little splash of silver would of been nice at the very least.

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote