• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2008-09-14, 01:12 AM   #21
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany
Cool

Chill. There were still lots of misconceptions about car names affecting a toy's trademark, what still far-too-similar names could be used and whatnot. In total, it all still looked like a bunch of vague guesswork that needed some clearing up.

The rest of your post about toys originally meant to be Trailbreaker but then changed to someone else is mostly correct, though.

And I'm sure this posts probably contains half a dozen typos I'm not seeing because I'm too tired.

Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-14, 01:18 AM   #22
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
*sigh*

Once again.
Future tip: using smileys really doesn't defuse that sort of opening; if anything it adds to the feeling you're telling a four year old to please stop eating the worms, they made you sick last time, and they'll make you sick again. I admitted it was largely guesswork; explanations can be given without treating people like children.

Last edited by Cliffjumper; 2008-09-14 at 01:21 AM.
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-14, 03:17 AM   #23
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper
Dunno, they could call him Highjump maybe?
All of the recycled Micromaster names in Universe so far have been tacked onto bodies that look nothing like them and with decos that make them look more like someone else entirely. So, logically, they'd call him Tote.

Quote:
For Wheeljack, Energon Downshift, with the green replaced by silver or grey and maybe the deco hammed up a little (literally copying the G1 stripes, add on the racing number) would be a cheap option.
Downshift looks the part -- certainly more than Alternators Wheeljack did -- but he's not a very good toy, if you know what I mean. He's hamstrung by the silly combination gimmick that all the Energon Autobots had and there's really not all that much you can do with him, IMO. He's not bad per se, but I'd like to see what they could pull off with a new design that isn't beholden to a gimmick like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbolt86
Everyone has a right to their own choics, but I don't think people are really suckered into buy a quote "lousy" version of a toy. I got Hasbros version because I can find it cheaper than having to order one online. I think most are buy the things for their kids, or they don't have the money for importing it.

Just because something comes from Japan and has a couple more paint applications and some random chrome splashed onto it doesn't make it objectively "better", especially when the price tag is twice as high as the American counterpart. And if the American toy is "lousy", I don't get how a couple of new paint apps will suddenly make it worth paying twice as much to own.

Furthermore, everyone in the fandom knows that the Universe toys will eventually get a Japanese release with a couple more paint applications and some random chrome splashed onto it. If they buy the US version anyway and then feel later on that they got suckered into it, it's their own fault for going into "ZOMG MUST BUY NOW" mode, no?

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 12:36 PM   #24
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

First color photos of Ratchet.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B001B1T1FW/

Currently due out in February.

Old 2008-11-06, 02:20 PM   #25
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Looks nice. I wonder what kind of weapon/gadget he'll get, since Ironhide has the large sword/gun. Or would it be a weapon? Maybe a medical tool of some sort? Most likely it'll be the same weapon Ironhide has, and they'll just name it something else. And if it's Henkei, it's definitely chrome. Either way, I like the paint apps, he's looking good.

ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 03:57 PM   #26
Rattrap's tail
EVA-Unit 15

In space, helping Gunbuster.

Stange looks like a epaint of Ironhide. Maybe that is wrong but However I think he looks great. I hope he gets a simple gun and some fixing tools like Animated Ratchet as his Weapons.

Rattrap's tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 04:07 PM   #27
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

I can't wait for Hasbro to release it. It's about time my classicsverse autobots had someone to patch 'em up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrap's tail View Post
Stange looks like a epaint of Ironhide.
Yup.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 05:37 PM   #28
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

Ratchet beats the pants off of Ironhide. The white deco really disguises the panel gaps much better. Odd, but true. Also the sky blue used on the quarter glass blends much better with the white than the red of Ironhide.

I actually like Ironhide/Ratchet's robot modes, but the truck mode has all those random gaps and lines... why? I don't think that was the only way to make him look G1-esque. Look at Animated Ratchet, looks pretty close to the Onebox cartoon robot mode yet has none of the cutlines in the vehicle mode.

Both Aimated Ratchet and Universe Ironhide have a large roof panel dangling from thier back, so if that kind of kibble was acceptable why go for such a convoluted mess of a truck mode to reach a simmilar result?

Oh, and reading the spat between Cliffy and Nevermore was a delight.

another tf fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 06:40 PM   #29
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Smile

Verdict.....

I love it, but naturally that's a given. But, all love aside, I hate to say it, there is some odd color arrangements happening here (certainly not as odd as Hasbro's Smokescreen). I'm not really digging the black and in particular the red placement on the legs is a bit random.

Still, it's a nice homage to Ratchet, best we've seen in a while...even if it isn't Marvel Ratchet - well, part of his head is red, so I guess that'll do. I can't help but adore it, regardless of its faults.

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 11:01 PM   #30
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Larger image.
http://www.amiami.com/shop/ProductIn...duct_id/102558

Wonder who will be the first one who gets the license plate joke.

Old 2008-11-11, 11:05 PM   #31
secretcode
щ(゚Д゚щ)

Help U2?

Well they certainly have gone downhill lately...

secretcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 12:33 AM   #32
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

License plate is an homage to that cover with him fused with Megatron and holding the "help us" sign?

Pretty much seals it that what we're seeing are stock photos of the hasbro version

Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 04:20 PM   #33
Starfield
Dinobot

Michigan, USA
Default Helmet colors

How about his helmet colors? White with a red chevron? When has he had that, except for a few IDW coloring mistakes?

He looks OK. I just can't get over how funny the crotch looks.

Starfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 04:34 PM   #34
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

I'm really not mad about this mould at all, to be honest... the whole shape just doesn't capture the character somehow... The best Universe/Classics figures somehow manage to simply look like an upgrade of the originals, even if the configuration isn't strictly carried across. This just looks like any old van Transformer with a head cast. He looks really mishapen and busy, especially around the shoulders. Pass for me, I'm afraid.

Old 2008-11-12, 07:14 PM   #35
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfield View Post
How about his helmet colors? White with a red chevron? When has he had that, except for a few IDW coloring mistakes?
According to secret inside sources, coloring his hemlet red would have given him a red hood as well.

Old 2008-12-04, 12:21 PM   #36
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

First photos of the final version:
http://www.e-hobby.co.jp/cgi-bin/omc...T&code=tf_c_18

Old 2008-12-04, 01:24 PM   #37
borg72
Less than meets the eye

Cleveland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
thats not half as bad as i'd been thinking it would be from the hasbro version...

borg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-04, 02:28 PM   #38
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Wow. I'm actually thoroughly impressed by those photos. Didn't think much of the mold from the Hasbro Ironhide version, but that Henkei Ratchet would almost make it worthwhile. I really like the metallic blue windows. That paint hides the multiple seams quite well. And there's not too much chrome for a change!

ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-04, 02:43 PM   #39
AndyTurnbull
Triple Changer

Dunfermline

That looks splendid, I will get the Henkei one as opposed to the hasbro version.

Andy

AndyTurnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-04, 02:44 PM   #40
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

The mould still looks too generic to me... much prefer something more in line with his Infiltration appearance.