Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2008-09-26, 09:59 PM   #21
Brimstone
Unicron

Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
What else would it be? A reissue?
Uh...yeah. This is Hasbro we're talking about here.

Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 01:39 AM   #22
Daltimus Prime
DEATH MAGMA SNAKE WARLORD

The dark corner in your basement/attic/toilet

Um... I believe it is TAKARA that is constantly reselling/reissuing/repainting G1toys

Last edited by Daltimus Prime; 2008-09-27 at 11:10 PM.
Daltimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 03:22 AM   #23
Civ
News-"breaker"-in-Training

Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountyhunter View Post
too bad the Snarl is really g1 Slag. Drat, Hasbro can't they get there own stuff right.
Hasbro is well aware who G1 Slag is as a character. The problem is that the term "slag", if I remember correctly, is a slang name for a protitute in England; therefore, they won't use the name for that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578
don't really care for all the fuss about SS. I have the Classics Starscream, and I'm perfectly fine with him. He doesn't need to be EXACTLY like the G1 cartoon, etc. I guess I just don't bother fretting about it, I just enjoy the TF's they put out.
Exactly. I have the original Classics SS and I'm fine with him. I just never understood how a figure is ruined, for some people, if it's not colored exactly the way he was in the cartoon. See MP-03 Starscream for references on other sites to this topic and epic bitchfests.

Also, I never considered the wing/gun to be a problem. I'm actually glad the wing has that degree of freedom to make SS more poseable. I have other issues with the mold but I don't consider the wing/gun to be one of them.

Civ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 03:47 AM   #24
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civ View Post
Hasbro is well aware who G1 Slag is as a character. The problem is that the term "slag", if I remember correctly, is a slang name for a protitute in England; therefore, they won't use the name for that reason.
That doesn't make it any less weird that they're calling him Snarl now, though. If/when they release a new version of the real Snarl, are they going to call him Sludge? Or are we going to have two different Dinobots named Snarl? [EDIT]Or will they start calling Snarl Striker now, like some of the other stegobots we've gotten?[/EDIT]

Really, wouldn't it have made a lot more sense to just give Slag a new, different name if the old one doesn't make the cut anymore?

Last edited by Warcry; 2008-09-27 at 03:50 AM.
Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 03:52 AM   #25
Civ
News-"breaker"-in-Training

Pennsylvania

Yeah, a new, different name would work better for G1 Slag instead of substituting in a different Dinobot name. "Scrap", maybe since "slag" is also a Cybetronian curse. I'm actually wondering if Hasbro ever does plan on releasing a G1 Snarl redo with him as a robotic stegosaurus.

Civ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 03:57 AM   #26
Blackjack
Micromaster

Hound and Cyclonus both look scary good.

Best of all, they have bonus toys...

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 04:00 AM   #27
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

I kinda wish they'd used Triceradon. Oh well. Hopefully we'll see a Stegobot who's supposed to be Snarl even if they have to call him something else. I'd love to see him in Animated style and as a Robot Hero.

Hmmm . . . after Animated winds down we might see a few Animated-style figures in TFU (seems to be borrowing from quite a few eras of TF so why not?). If they do that I hope they throw together a Stegobot if they don't put one in the Animated series.

I just really like the bulky proportions of Animated Grim and Snarl, and would like to see at least the Stego make an appearance if not the Bronto as well. Imo it's the perfect medium for the dinobots.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 04:39 AM   #28
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Why do people get in such a tizzy when Hasbro call a toy something random for trademark reasons? Once you've bought the thing, you can call it what you damn well like... Hasbro can't be bothered to stop companies bootlegging their stuff, whereas most employed people have greater resources than Takara, I can't see them coming round your house and kicking you in the balls because you're not referring to your figures as Rodimus Major or Shockblast...

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 05:12 AM   #29
Hasbro
WAY COOLER THAN MATTEL

Pawtucket, Rhode Island

TRY IT AND SEE. YOU FEELING LUCKY?

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 05:17 AM   #30
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

This is the first time I can remember that it's really attracted my attention, actually. Usually name changes don't even register with me, but this one just baffles me for some reason. If they can't use the original name, m'eh...rename him and move on. But renaming him as something that will necessitate another renaming somewhere down the road just strikes me as a really silly call to make.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 11:16 AM   #31
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
TRY IT AND SEE. YOU FEELING LUCKY?
http://counter-x.net/tf/toys/shockwave.html

Bring it, bitch.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 01:09 PM   #32
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Well, I know that the change was pretty late with Animated, so they went with a name that they had already protected for Animated Snarl - and then thta just flowed into Robot Heroes. So, I wouldn't be too surprised that an eventual 'Snarl' in either line would become Striker, or Slapper, or something else somewhat themely, but still new for the character.

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 01:54 PM   #33
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

In the UK Slapper has roughly the same meaning as Slag [Which strictly speaking isn't a prostitute, more a very friendly woman who's awfully acomidating to lots of men]. Someone best tell hasbro before they use it again.

Though I have to say, despite being perfectly aware of the double meaning from a relatively early age ("Have you heard what Kerry Patterson did behind the bike shed? Complete Slaaaaaaaaaaag") I never once associated it with the fourth best Dinobot.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 10:19 PM   #34
borg72
Less than meets the eye

Cleveland

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
In the UK Slapper has roughly the same meaning as Slag [Which strictly speaking isn't a prostitute, more a very friendly woman who's awfully acomidating to lots of men]. Someone best tell hasbro before they use it again.

Though I have to say, despite being perfectly aware of the double meaning from a relatively early age ("Have you heard what Kerry Patterson did behind the bike shed? Complete Slaaaaaaaaaaag") I never once associated it with the fourth best Dinobot.
indeed, the 'correct' use of the term 'slag' as an insult is to pronounce it "you slaaaaaaag!" followed by a hard slap to/by a woman with big hoopy earings and a loud jacket stood behind a bar.
(eastenders (tm))

i always took the transformer named slag to be named for the molten metal, and given the fire-breathing abilities of the animated dinos, i fail to see why this is not an acceptable name. oh well.

ooohhhh maybe we can argue the toss just like in the smokescreen thread...

borg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 08:28 AM   #35
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

New pics of Cyclonus:
http://www.tf08.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60

Mirrored:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...yclonus_01.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...yclonus_02.jpg

Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 08:46 AM   #36
borg72
Less than meets the eye

Cleveland

Hope that's a test shot - that white plastic looks shocking.... the mold itself looks good though; and although i was never a fan of targetmasters as such, its nice that there is some 'other' gimmick going on with many of the new universe/25th/classics2.0/can't-we-just-collectively-call-them-'shirley', such as ravage's new look, some of the light-and sound (unless they turn out crappy and/or bricklike), triple changers, etc.

borg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 09:05 AM   #37
Catalyst Dragon
Shimatta!

Oklahoma

I wish they would have put a different cassette with him, new mold or not I don't need two Ravage cassettes, but I do need Hound! He shall be mine!

Really looking forward to Cyclonus and the new Starscreem too.

Catalyst Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 11:31 AM   #38
Sunstreaker2
It's a Gundam!

Trumbauersville, PA

Nightstick reminds me of Mini-Con Over-Run.

Sunstreaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 12:58 PM   #39
Treadshot A1
Or just 'A1' for short...

If Safeguard had a gun mode...

Treadshot A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 01:04 PM   #40
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

Not as shiny and flashy as the touchups, but I still like it.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote