The Transformers Archive Skip to main content / Also skip section headers

[The Transformers Archive - an international fan site]
Please feel free to log in or register.

 
  • transformers toys
  • transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-10-21, 07:29 PM   #21
Shield Strike
Powermaster
 
Shield Strike's Avatar
 
Yam Yam Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
One I do think would probably work would be Sunstreaker/Sideswipe as Red Alert - red stripes down the inner leg probably wouldn't do much harm (and to be honest), and the rest of him would translate pretty naturally
That is one i'd like to see. I can see it working well and get even more mileage out of that particular mold.
 
Shield Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 07:53 PM   #22
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster
 
inflatable dalek's Avatar
 
Kidderminster UK
Default

Well, speaking as someone who luvs his Universe Prowl and never had much of a thang for Smokescreen I don't think very much of this either.
 
inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 07:55 PM   #23
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door
 
Cliffjumper's Avatar
 
Smile

Yeh, they're already hit three regular releases for the Prowl mould after all... And someone at Hasbro does seem to quite like the guy (hence the name reuse for the Unicron trilogy, and the two Crap Universe redecos). Only possible stumbling block - I bet they use the red head, which never looks right I'm still Etarnally grateful that the reissue kept the black head. For a Universe Red Alert, they could even maybe get a third configuration out of the legs if they could do something about the screwholes (not sure if just turning the waist around and swapping the thighs would still work for a transformation, not mechanically minded enough to think it through).

The Sideswipe mould is actually incredibly faithful to the original in terms of where the car parts end up - any of the schemes used on the figure (Clampdown, Deepcover, G2) would probably fit it nicely (as with the Starscream mould). TBH, the Datsun mode is one of the few 'original' repaints I can think of that doesn't have schemes that would translate across any half-decent mould - thinking about it, Smokescreen probably has the most complicated deco of all the original G1 cars; most of the rest of them are mainly one colour.

Heh - I've only just realised... Sunstreaker does provide the easiest kitbash in TF history... turn him around, swap the hands, hey presto, Universe Tigertrack! I'd love it if someone had the balls to actually market that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg72 View Post
fine.
That's "fine" as in you admitting most of what you said was mindless bullshit and that you totally failed to understand most of what I said, yes?
 
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 08:23 PM   #24
numbat
Legends Class
 
numbat's Avatar
 
Scotland, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
The original has "traditional smokescreen colours" and "chrome-cannon goodness", and looks miles and miles better. It can transform without bits popping off as well (disclaimer: unless you're a clumsy wanker). There's progress for you, eh?
Erm...

Seriously, though - Cliffy, you're right on the money (as ever).

I'm seriously underwhelmed by the Classiverse Prowl mould. It looks hideous. Smokescreen offers a wonderfully multicoloured version, which looks more interesting, whilst immeasureably worse, than either of his predecesors.

(However I may well end up buying whichever - i.e. Universe or Henkei - looks better for a nostalgia trip. I know, I know... An awful crime, and terribly stupid, and I know I'll regret it. I just loved Smokescreen as a kid, and he was my first Autobot car and all... But, then, this could be so bad I don't bother, which is saying something.)
 
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 08:25 PM   #25
secretcode
щ(゚Д゚щ)
 
secretcode's Avatar
 
Default

Same reason I'm getting Cheetor/Dinobot regardless. Cheetor, Rattrap and Dinobot were my first toys (Merry Birfday!) for Transformers and the beginning of my obsession.

Release a ****ing Rattrap, Hasbro.
 
secretcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 08:28 PM   #26
poyguimogul
Life is.. So unpredictable..
 
The mini-apple.
Red face

If I had a better digi-cam i could take pictures of my Classic Universe
Tigertracks
LOL -to be honest its cheaper buying 4 toys then 1 Neo-G1 tigertracks
(2xside 2xsun) Keeping two normel and switching the others 2's heads
Sideswipe (red,hood chest)
Sunstreaker (yellow,roof chest)
Tigertracks (yellow,hood chest,sideswipe head)

For the last, I looked long and hard at A) the diaclone red sunstreaker and
B) every TF toy ever made... 2jp excl. Mini-cons , red and blue versions of armada Sparkplug. names: Rod + Atlas...so we get..

Roadatlas(red, roof chest, sunstreaker head)
soldier in the autobots team sent to planet Diaclone. An expert map-maker of planets and solar systems. In vehicle mode can travel at a maximum of 220mph, not the fastest autobot, but he can sustain this speed for an entire earth-calender year. His extreme speeds allow him to map courses, and discover alternate routes that may only be available during the changing seasons. Hes a well versed fighter in small arms and close quarter combat. He prefers to be left alone to do his job,and once hes completed his tasks he will make time for his companions.
 

Last edited by poyguimogul; 2008-10-21 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Yeah I know, It should be a T.T. name Like Tigertracks..but you try making one that works,TrackTitan maybe...naw..
poyguimogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 08:56 PM   #27
RID Scourge
Lurking
 
RID Scourge's Avatar
 
In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Heh - I've only just realised... Sunstreaker does provide the easiest kitbash in TF history... turn him around, swap the hands, hey presto, Universe Tigertrack! I'd love it if someone had the balls to actually market that...
Indeed. I know that a few people here and I are doing that as well as Switching the heads with 'Swipe to make a Tiger Tracks and red Sunstreaker.
 
RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 01:01 AM   #28
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause
 
zigzagger's Avatar
 
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Moving the front wings out with the doors is a big mistake, IMO - the car mode looks fragmented, and the robot mode chest looks... incomplete because of it (and the painted transparent plastic? Yuck, especially for the front wings)........

.......IMO, the mould's been designed for Prowl and Bluestreak, and Smokescreen is someone after the event going "If I finish this in 10 minutes, I can take a long lunch" without actually thinking it through. They should work in one of those hilarious injoke numberplates saying something like "W1LL TH15 D0?".
Think this hits the nail right smack on the head - the mould. Or more specifically, the front end of the car mode that ends up being the trio's chests. On the Universe moulds the front fenders, along with the doors, now become the "wings", and I think this is part of the reason why the Smokescreen colour scheme just doesn't translate over quite as well as imagined. As you said with Prowl, it works quite well, because for the most part the front end of the car remains "traditionally" white and black, not losing this pattern during transformations because of the fenders folding back. Similar could be said for Bluesteak, as he loses neither the black or silver from both car and bot mode, the hidden red serving to complement to two colours in bot mode, but still maintaining a pattern. Smokescreen however, a lot of the blue and white in the front end of the car (going by the scheme that it is sort-of attempting to following) disappears because the fenders now fold back, along with the doors, to become the wings. The result, you end up with a bit too much red, in my opinion, and the added black (and yellow....and grey) just doesn't seem to make up for the missing blue or white, rather the pattern becomes inconsistent with what it is trying to achieve.
 

Last edited by zigzagger; 2008-10-22 at 01:17 AM. Reason: adding extra colours!!!!
zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 07:43 AM   #29
Catalyst Dragon
Shimatta!
 
Catalyst Dragon's Avatar
 
Oklahoma
Default

Smokescreen a must.

Iffy on Dinobot...or Cheetor for that matter.
 
Catalyst Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 10:15 AM   #30
Treadshot A1
Or just 'A1' for short...
 
Treadshot A1's Avatar
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Lots of characters have been improved by updates over the years - definitives for me include Universe Sunstreaker, G2 Sideswipe, Classics Skywarp/Bumblebee, RobotMasters 'Mirage' and 'Optimus Prime', Energon 'Wheeljack' and so on. But some characters, either through good design in the first place (Skids, Soundwave) or consistently botched homages (Grimlock, Prowl) still haven't bettered the original figures. Simple, right?
Just IMO, but i think Soundwave has been better than G1. Mainly Music Label Sounwave. Sure, no cassettes, which ais the main problem/point, but i like i simply coz it's more poseable. Can't say i liked energon 'wheeljack' as much, but each to their own... I liked Ani & Cla Grimlock...

On a side note, this is the first time i wasn't on the receiving end of one of Cliffy's posts. Practice does make perfect.

On topic, I think a repaint of Alternity convoy would work better than this smokescreen. Though i'll still buy this one, just for the sake of it.
 
Treadshot A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 11:51 AM   #31
borg72
Less than meets the eye
 
borg72's Avatar
 
Cleveland
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post


That's "fine" as in you admitting most of what you said was mindless bullshit and that you totally failed to understand most of what I said, yes?

no, that's "fine" as in i can't be arsed arguing the toss with somone whose first response to an innocent post - that was all opinion, btw, and not directed at anyone in particular, past a polite mark harmon jibe - was to call me a 'twit'. and then post three rather lengthy posts on how you are right and everyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

i fully understand your posts having managed to stay awake through them, but tbh, the more you witter on about it the more and more it sounds like "but its not geewun!!!"; certainly in attitude (admitedly, you aren't an actually g1 mentalist - you like the alternators deco you mentioned etc (and i'm not even getting into alternators issues, which are a different kettle of fish altogether)

quite why you have such a problem with me heaven forbid actually liking something you don't, i don't know. frankly, i don't care. like i said before... you have your toy, i'll have mine.

why the problem?


 
borg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 01:03 PM   #32
Treadshot A1
Or just 'A1' for short...
 
Treadshot A1's Avatar
 
Default

If i may offer advice, don't argue. It's like arguing against police: You know you're right, but you get nowhere.

I think i may have to see it in person, before deciding on dinobot.
 
Treadshot A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 01:11 PM   #33
Blackjack
Micromaster
 
Blackjack's Avatar
 
Default

Dinobot is iffy. Smokescreen is wierd.

@borg72: Don't argue against the mods... Sarcasm is the currency here...
 
Blackjack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 01:15 PM   #34
Treadshot A1
Or just 'A1' for short...
 
Treadshot A1's Avatar
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
@borg72: Don't argue against the mods... Sarcasm is the currency here...
Mainly Cliffy. And anyone who used to be called Ackula.

Hmm...I think i'm rich here...And this sentence proves that.
 
Treadshot A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 01:42 PM   #35
ganon578
GO BLUE!
 
ganon578's Avatar
 
NoCo
Default

No Dinobot for me. Don't really care for BW stuff, which is why I also pass on Cheetor (which was shown a while back). I will get Smokescreen when he's out though, I like the mold (very fond of my Prowl) and the colors, IMO, are still cool, and I still need a proper Smokescreen (my bashed LOC Movie Jazz isn't cutting it).
 
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 02:09 PM   #36
secretcode
щ(゚Д゚щ)
 
secretcode's Avatar
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadshot A1 View Post
Mainly Cliffy. And anyone who used to be called Ackula.

Hmm...I think i'm rich here...And this sentence proves that.
You say that now, but NO ONE is immune to the Grue. He still haunts me. Oddly enough, you can't remember what it looks like...

Anyway. I thought Hot Shot was part of this wave as well?
 
secretcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 02:43 PM   #37
Ackula
Charnel House
 
Ackula's Avatar
 
CA
Default

Lets stop arguing here please. Treadshot you get to go on vacation for repeatedly poking the staff and goading users into doing the same, I have made many mental notes of all the times you have did so and your free ride is over. And just for the record, putting a smiley that says J/K after every rude and/or abrasive thing you say does not make it ok.

Back on topic people....
 
Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 04:17 PM   #38
Starfield
Dinobot
 
Michigan, USA
Default

I'll stick up for Smokescreen! I think he is the best of the three. Especially in car mode. Black/white, Gray/Silver (with red limbs that kind of stick out) are just kind of plain IMO. I held off getting them hoping they would come out with Smokescreen.
 

Last edited by Starfield; 2008-10-23 at 04:34 PM. Reason: changed a word
Starfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 04:31 PM   #39
RID Scourge
Lurking
 
RID Scourge's Avatar
 
In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!
Default

I actually didn't remember Smokescreen until I started collecting again. Yeah the colors are a bit odd, but that gives me another autobot for my classics' forces. Now we need more deluxe decepticons. Can't wait for Cyclonus, but I think my autobots still outnumber them.
 
RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 05:20 PM   #40
ganon578
GO BLUE!
 
ganon578's Avatar
 
NoCo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RID Scourge View Post
I actually didn't remember Smokescreen until I started collecting again. Yeah the colors are a bit odd, but that gives me another autobot for my classics' forces. Now we need more deluxe decepticons. Can't wait for Cyclonus, but I think my autobots still outnumber them.
For some reason I think it's just way easier for Hasbro to repaint the Autobots into multiple characters rather than the Decepticons (outside of the Seeker mold). It used to be mostly that way too back in G1 era, maybe it's because they're all cars anyways, so it's much easier to swap palettes with them than the 'Cons. Anyways, what I was trying to get at, I second your opinion that my 'Bots outnumber my 'Cons. It just seems like there's more 'Bots out there.
 
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 
 
[the-hub.co.uk]
[transfans.co.uk]
[oneshallstand]
[unicron.com]
[counter-x.net]
[ntfa.net]
[allspark.com]
[transformertoys.co.uk]
[tfu.info]
[botchthecrab.com]
[obscure_tf]
[tfradio.net]
 

[TFArchive button]
Link graphics...

BOOKMARK US
Or in FF, hit Ctrl+D.