• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2009-06-07, 05:08 PM   #1
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Default Lengthy Shane McCarhty Interview

On Youtube no less, but as it's a hour and a half long you may want to do what I did and just download the podcast version to listen to whist going around being incredibly cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC3b5epypnA

In terms of brand new information (being dispassionate here):
In the early outline Kup was the traitor, though this changed very early on in the stories development,
AHM was concieved as following directly on from Devastation, no Revelation or Maximum Dinobots. McCarthy didn't even hear about MD until he was working on issue 9.
Hasbro have a first design for the Drift toy, which, if it happens will be coming out next year,
the point of Drift is to show that even the Autobots can be racist,
The Scourge line was a set up for something he wanted to do post AHM where Scourge would have been like the evil Kup, a guy who's been around forever, and where he'd have tried to take over,
This now isn't happening as Hasbro have different ideas for Scourge,
The other bridge the swan cross was a art mistake- the result of fill in artists having to work quickly,
There is a reason for the cigar but he's not telling.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 05:13 PM   #2
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
AHM was concieved as following directly on from Devastation, no Revelation or Maximum Dinobots.
It shows.

Though of course the fact that Devastation was conceived as a lead-in to Revelation/Expansion (something Furman made no secret of) suggests somebody on the editorial side needs a kicking. Though we already knew that.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 05:31 PM   #3
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Hmmm. Les dispassionately, whilst McCarthy comes over as a good interviewee, a lot of what he says is a bit depressing. Why is it racist of the Autobots to not warm to a guy who up till recently was a homicidal maniac?

Other stuff:

McCarthy would have prefered the issues being a bit later and Guido drawing the whole lot, but IDW wanted to keep it on track. Aparently Guido didn't get very much lead in time on the series, which is why he fell behind.
Hasbro insisted on the original plan being toned down a lot, as well as the blood we know about from issue 1 (which they had no issue with in MD 5 oddly enough) the original idea was basically Independence Day, but they were't allowed to do the mass destruction/death on panel.

Old 2009-06-07, 05:46 PM   #4
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Why is it racist of the Autobots to not warm to a guy who up till recently was a homicidal maniac?
Or, more importantly, if it's such a story point why isn't it addressed beyond a throwaway "we don't need him living up to what he really is" line? Bereft of the Spotlight issue, Drift gets no more notable character interaction than, say, Cliffjumper.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 05:47 PM   #5
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Quote:
The Scourge line was a set up for something he wanted to do post AHM where Scourge would have been like the evil Kup, a guy who's been around forever, and where he'd have tried to take over,This now isn't happening as Hasbro have different ideas for Scourge,
Pardon me for being a touch dumb but do hasbro have that much control and involvement on the comics? That must be fustrating for all concerned.

From what I read into it, most of the faults of the way the plot arcs have worked in the IDW verse can be attributed to the editors. Getting McCarthy to script his book and setting it after devastation and then releasing revelation and MD sounds like a ridiculous mess of a set-up.

And they should have gone with kup as the traitor (maybe having used sunstreaker as a decoy) It could have tied in well with his spotlight (a mentally unhinged traitor)

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 06:08 PM   #6
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime View Post
Pardon me for being a touch dumb but do hasbro have that much control and involvement on the comics? That must be fustrating for all concerned.
The quote in the interview itself is a little vague (possibly intentionally), it could well be someone else has come up with a Scourge stroy for IDW they liked better. Hasbro having to sign off on everything is certainly not unique to this comic though.

Quote:
From what I read into it, most of the faults of the way the plot arcs have worked in the IDW verse can be attributed to the editors. Getting McCarthy to script his book and setting it after devastation and then releasing revelation and MD sounds like a ridiculous mess of a set-up.
Just to be clear though, McCarthy is pretty much totally happy with the comic bar the odd niggle (as well as the changeable artists he thinks the human characters haven't worked to well) and swears blind it's the story he wanted to tell, pacing and all.