• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2009-02-26, 07:56 PM   #61
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

It was very wrong of you to do that, Cliffjumper, and I was drinking Coke when I read it, so I shall find some way of rewengee on you. Probably something involving snark at some point.

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 09:09 PM   #62
Transformer Kamen
Ego Sum

For those of us looking forward to Arcee and the Soundwave redeco:

From TFCC:

"TF Animated Deluxe Wv 3 09 (Arcee, Soundwave) 2pcs
These items have been split into different waves and are also shipping at later dates per Hasbro(roughly May 2009). Due to this we are currently canceling and we will issue credits on the current pre-orders placed. We will put these items back to the website site as soon as we get new released confirmed information on how these are to be sold. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you."

Full story here

I am somewhat confused by this news, as I haven't heard of or seen any other figures (I assume other Season 3 characters) that would be part of either future waves besides the two canceled Voyagers we already know about (which I'm wondering if they are just delayed as well).

Also, maybe I'm misreading, but it looks like these two are now scheduled to come out in May? But...the Movie..toys...

Also: TFW2005 may have a bit more information about the pulling of Animated from retailers.

Last edited by Transformer Kamen; 2009-02-26 at 09:22 PM.
Transformer Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 10:59 PM   #63
Ackula
Charnel House

CA

Well at least they will be released at some point. I just can't understand the logic in this. The Animated toys seem to sell better than Universe, and there is a TV show as well, so it seems rather dumb from a business standpoint to cancel Animated when a new season is about to start. I just wonder if the Bumblebee and Grimlock ever actually went into production or not? I haven't had any problem finding any Animated stuff lately, they are stocked almost daily at our local Wal*Mart where my wife works overnight. But we have not yet seen any Wreck-Gar, and she checks every morning before the store opens to see if any came in and were stocked.

Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 11:21 PM   #64
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

I don't know. There are so many variables here, it's hard to guess. If they're splitting up waves for Animated to go into the movie time-frame, while cancelling the series and larger toys... it seems weird. It would make more sense if they were cancelling it for the movie line, largely due the sheer amount of figures the movie line is getting.

I would have figured that Universe was getting the axe first, as most of the known figures are now already out (missing only Ratchet, Hot Shot, and potentially Red Alert, along with the Toys R Us exclusives), and two of the figures have been - after delayed - rebranded as movie figures already (Superion and Bruticus). Also, the movie figures and classics figures in vehicle mode, which is how most are packaged, are pretty similar in aesthetic.

And, like most other people, it seems, I was under the impression that Animated was doing well, despite Cartoon Network's seeming desire to bury anything that isn't grade-c-level cheap-ass poop humor.

Old 2009-02-26, 11:49 PM   #65
Rattrap's tail
EVA-Unit 15

In space, helping Gunbuster.

Shouldn't forget about one thing: The Universe line is there because of the 25th birthday of the Transformers, so HASTAK decided to give old characters like Prowl, a new body. Because of this History fact, Hasbro has decided to shovel Animated away (the current line for younger ones I believe) in favor for the more serious and historical Universe to show older fans that it's still the brand they are loving already 25 years. Hiding within those older fans are the completists and those guys let Hasbro make way more money then say three Animated figures because of the birthday of a younger kid. This makes a lot of sense to me to be honest, but maybe am I wrong (I dare to suspect myself of always being wrong).

Rattrap's tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-27, 12:33 AM   #66
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Other than an extra sticker on a box, though, we haven't really seen much to celebrate the 25th anniversary have we? No new DVD releases of the old series (any of them), no new dubs of the Japanese only series. No new trade books of the history. Even 'Classics' isn't really new, since it came out at the 22nd anniversary and is just now being effectively expanded for Universe.

And Universe? Overall I would say that it's been pretty good, but how much stuff is just UT material thrown in? Blades? Treadbolt? Overload? Leo Prime? The CostCo and Sam's Club exclusives? The K*Mart Minicons? I'm happy with the toys for Universe, by and large, but there's an awful lot of the franchise that isn't even been looked at, after all. RID got Bruticus of all things, but not Sideburn, Scourge, or Fire Convoy?

Even the Fan Club is giving the 25th year a big ol' collective 'so what', not even mentioning it for this years BotCon thus far, and doing yet another fan-fiction story along with its exclusive figures rather than doing something anyone really cares about. (Classics Predator and Turbomaster teams would ahve been a good move.. which is of course why it's now munged up with Elite Guard and another wave of 'this is how we threw these toys together' fic.)

So no, personally, I don't think that the 25th anniversary really means anything to Hasbro, except that there's a market for nostalgia when it's combined with memorable characters and moderately cool toys.

Old 2009-02-27, 01:14 AM   #67
Tramp
Unicron

Buffalo, NY

That's not true Vanguard. Hasbro has one especially big thing in the works for the Twentieth Anniversary. It's something that Simon Furman is working closely with them on, and that is The Thirteen, A comic book miniseries revealing the definitive origin story for the mythos, specifically telling the events of the creation of the Transformers race.

Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-27, 01:24 AM   #68
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

A new Furmanesque Transformers origins story... What... again? I suppose that's one way to celebrate the 25th anniversary, by having the same man tell the same story through the same medium the 25th time.

Old 2009-02-27, 01:45 AM   #69
Tramp
Unicron

Buffalo, NY

The full origin story has never been told yet, only pieces of it. The Thirteen is supposed to tell the full story. In this article here: CCI: IDW ROLLS OUT MORE TRANSFORMERS IN 09, Furman first revealed information about the new series:

Quote:
The rest of Furman's upcoming work will center on two of his most beloved ideas within the Transformers comic universe; longtime fan favorite characters the Dinobots get a 5-issue series titled "Transformers: Maximum Dinobots" and drawn by Nick Roche, and 25 years of hints finally come into light when the definitive Transformers origin tale "Transformers: The 13" debuts in 2009.

"This is still evolving as we speak, but the story I'm working on is quite focused on a period way back in the Transformers history," Furman said of the origin. "We're not going to feed everything into an ongoing Transformers storyline. It's going to be very much its own start up story. It's the very beginning. We're winding things back to show how it all started and how the big forces that shaped everything else came to be.

"I've never really had the chance to lay down the definitive story around these guys and what role they played in what came after them. Over the years for various publishers in various publications, I've laid seeds of this group called The 13 and hinted about who some of them might be and how they play into the bigger mythos. I think this is where we're finding answers to all the big questions. We're working very closely with Hasbro in this series so that whatever we do in 'The 13' is very much tied in to the whole Transformers Universe. They want to get all of their irons in the fire ready and in the right order for 2009, which is the 25th anniversary. We're all working hopefully to get a definitive, cohesive Transformers Universe in terms of the back story."
He also answers soem questions regarding the series here: Simon Furmand Q&A

Old 2009-02-27, 03:09 AM   #70
Transformer Kamen
Ego Sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackula View Post
I haven't had any problem finding any Animated stuff lately, they are stocked almost daily at our local Wal*Mart where my wife works overnight. But we have not yet seen any Wreck-Gar, and she checks every morning before the store opens to see if any came in and were stocked.
My local stores have also stocked up on Animated, but only with stuff from the first couple waves. I also haven't seen Wreck-gar (or Universe Inferno), so I went ahead and ordered him from HTS, guaranteeing that I'll see him next I wander through a toy aisle.

Transformer Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-27, 03:13 AM   #71
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrap's tail View Post
Shouldn't forget about one thing: The Universe line is there because of the 25th birthday of the Transformers, so HASTAK decided to give old characters like Prowl, a new body. Because of this History fact, Hasbro has decided to shovel Animated away (the current line for younger ones I believe) in favor for the more serious and historical Universe to show older fans that it's still the brand they are loving already 25 years. Hiding within those older fans are the completists and those guys let Hasbro make way more money then say three Animated figures because of the birthday of a younger kid. This makes a lot of sense to me to be honest, but maybe am I wrong (I dare to suspect myself of always being wrong).
Hasbro's confirmed the fact that sales to/for children make up a larger part of the market than sales to collectors. There are a lot more children than collectors.

You've not only got birthdays to consider but Christmas/Hanuka, Easter, "you've been a good boy", "get well soon", "you did well in school", "if I get it for you will you shut up?" etc as well.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-27, 04:55 AM   #72
Ackula
Charnel House

CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformer Kamen View Post
My local stores have also stocked up on Animated, but only with stuff from the first couple waves. I also haven't seen Wreck-gar (or Universe Inferno), so I went ahead and ordered him from HTS, guaranteeing that I'll see him next I wander through a toy aisle.
I ordered Wreck-Gar from HTS last night as well after searching in every store between here and San Diego yesterday, and not finding but one on all of eBay. I'm sure there will be 10 at Wal*Mart tomorrow

Old 2009-02-27, 05:13 AM   #73
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformer Kamen View Post
I've only seen TFU Inferno once (and I bought him), TFU Overload once (which I didn't).. have yet to see Wreck Gar at all, or TFU RID Bruticus (which I ordered from BBTS) though I've seen a lot of Shockwave and now Black Megatron. I've seen all the new deluxes that are supposed to be out, though.

But, yes, it's pretty much a given that the day after you break down and order a figure, it'll show up at stores around you (like my TFU Stormcloud). Granted, I guess it didn't turn out that way for Bruticus.. hm.. more of a rule than a law?

Old 2009-02-27, 06:37 AM   #74
Notabot
Lutheran

Lowden, IA

Could someone in southeastern South Dakota order Wreck-Gar from HTS so I can pick one up in the stores?
I've seen Inferno a couple times, and a friend had Wreck-Gar in his hands but I passed at the moment. Still haven't seen Samurai Prowl, but I haven't looked in the last week or so either.

Notabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-27, 06:57 AM   #75
Ackula
Charnel House

CA

I've only seen Inferno twice myself, both times next to that awful looking Leo Prime. I just wish I could find the "Last Autobot" Vector Prime repaint....

Old 2009-02-27, 06:59 AM   #76
Tramp
Unicron

Buffalo, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackula View Post
I've only seen Inferno twice myself, both times next to that awful looking Leo Prime. I just wish I could find the "Last Autobot" Vector Prime repaint....
I've yet to find any of them. I could care less about Leo Prime, but I want Inferno, and could use the Vector prime for making The Last Autobot and thus fill out my collection of The Thirteen.

Old 2009-02-27, 07:21 AM   #77
Treadshot A1
Or just 'A1' for short...

Let's see: The fallen, Prima, last autobot,...

Who else was part of the thirteen?

Treadshot A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-27, 10:00 AM   #78
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadshot A1 View Post
Let's see: The fallen, Prima, last autobot,...

Who else was part of the thirteen?
Vector Prime and Sentinel Maximus (depending on which bio you like).

This whole Animated thing is weird.

Over here in the UK, my local Asda have Universe on mega-sale (less than half price), whereas Animated are still full price, going strong...

But I don't imagine the UK makes up a huge portion of the TF profits.

numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-27, 10:44 AM   #79
Treadshot A1
Or just 'A1' for short...

That's still not thirteen. Just five.

Treadshot A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-27, 11:10 AM   #80
Rattrap's tail
EVA-Unit 15

In space, helping Gunbuster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
Vector Prime and Sentinel Maximus (depending on which bio you like).

This whole Animated thing is weird.

Over here in the UK, my local Asda have Universe on mega-sale (less than half price), whereas Animated are still full price, going strong...

But I don't imagine the UK makes up a huge portion of the TF profits.
Here we are seeing the first wave of Classics: The legends. Only Bumblebee(number 50 already!) and Screamo... No Cosmos for me then...

Rattrap's tail is offline   Reply With Quote