Cellar Door

Red face

hay hv you got wotchmen? its gud you should deffo red it

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 08:57 PM   #22
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Ok, so I actually keep a list that I update and it's got every comic I own on it. Except the original TF series. It's huge and anyone who decides to go through this is a very brave individual, but here's the link, my comic list

1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 01:10 PM   #23
CounterPunch
One with the Matrix

What?

You have far too much time on your hands!!

I'm trying to think of what I'm reading atm...

The Boys is fun, and is only on v3 of TPB... As said earlier it's not particularly original, not providing any revolutionary ideas, but it's an Ennis book, and Ennis books where he can let loose are always fun to read.

Fables, I'm reading v1 atm, it hasn't gripped me yet, but I've heard numerous times that if you're not gripped with v2 then you're an idiot lol

All-Star Superman?? v1&2 are out on HC, and v1 is Softcover, with v2 probs not being released for another year or so (much to my dismay)

I've heard DMZ is fantastic, something I'm planning on reading at some point, just gotta find the time.

I also can't recommend The Walking Dead enough, but the problem is that it's now on v9 of TPB's BUT I think Kirkman has set a specific end number for the series and I don't think its THAT far away.

As a slight offshoot (apologies for stealing limelight for a mo Hound) I've been reading Preacher and am just amazed at how good it is, I read 3 volumes in 1 day, which is AMAZING for me, and I've jus bought the first few volumes of Transmet, it better be good! It's been built up by so many people (you guys in particular)

CounterPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 02:36 PM   #24
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterPunch View Post
and I've jus bought the first few volumes of Transmet, it better be good! It's been built up by so many people (you guys in particular)
You'll know by the end of the second volume if you'll like it or not.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 09:58 PM   #25
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfshell View Post
You'll know by the end of the second volume if you'll like it or not.
Oh yeah....

I might actually know a guy that I can borrow All-Star Superman from. I've been reading a lot of Superman from the 1 year later thing up to now and I'm impressed so I thought I might give All-Star a look through too.

Y'know what the problem is? I don't know anyone that reads anything other than mainstream superhero comics. The furthest away from that is Hitman. I have a freind who has the whole series of Hitman but nothing else even remotely like that. So I'm the one lending all my Sandman, Preacher, Transmet, Planetary and stuff to others while I get Superman/Batman and some old issues of Robin. (sigh)

They cancelled all the Batman books so I'm saving some money there that I can spend on TPBs and stuff. There's usually 2 weeks or so a month that are so light I can afford to buy something new.

Old 2009-03-12, 05:10 PM   #26
Neuronutter
Gestalt

Halifax, NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterPunch View Post
Fables, I'm reading v1 atm, it hasn't gripped me yet, but I've heard numerous times that if you're not gripped with v2 then you're an idiot lol
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound View Post
Ok so I got the first 2 Fables TPBs and the first Alias.

Actually Fables will probably keep me reading for a good long time.
I'm sure this has been said but Fables is one of the finest books out there. It's certainly one of the best things I've ever read. I'm on trade 10, I think, so I've still got a few to go, but it's magnificent. In fact almost every Willingham story I've read has been great. I'd recommend Shadowpact for some good magicky fun.

Preacher is fantastic, I think it was recommended to me by someone on this site (Cliffy probably) and I read all the trades in a week and loved it.

I'd also recommend RASL by Jeff Smith of Bone fame. The first trade's out at the mo and is good. Bone, if you don't know it, is very kiddy but absolutely brilliant. I've read the first three trades and just bought the anthology edition and can't wait to rip into it.

Last edited by Neuronutter; 2009-03-12 at 05:27 PM.
Neuronutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 05:14 PM   #27
Neuronutter
Gestalt

Halifax, NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound View Post
Oh yeah....

I might actually know a guy that I can borrow All-Star Superman from. I've been reading a lot of Superman from the 1 year later thing up to now and I'm impressed so I thought I might give All-Star a look through too.

Y'know what the problem is? I don't know anyone that reads anything other than mainstream superhero comics. The furthest away from that is Hitman. I have a freind who has the whole series of Hitman but nothing else even remotely like that. So I'm the one lending all my Sandman, Preacher, Transmet, Planetary and stuff to others while I get Superman/Batman and some old issues of Robin. (sigh)

They cancelled all the Batman books so I'm saving some money there that I can spend on TPBs and stuff. There's usually 2 weeks or so a month that are so light I can afford to buy something new.
Have you joined your local library? Don't know where you live but my library service in Cardiff is great with online access to loads of stuff. I've borrowed a mole hills worth of stuff in the last few years, especially when I was off work sick, and I've been able to read so much that I could never have afforded to buy. So if your looking for stuff you couldn't otherwise get give it a look.

Old 2009-03-12, 05:26 PM   #28
Neuronutter
Gestalt

Halifax, NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Hitman's probably my favourite series now I think about it, that or Planetary (Miracleman has The Golden Age letting down the average, meaning I rarely read it all the way through... Plus reading the Silver Age pisses me off... what the **** was Avril up to?).
Speaking of Planetary when's the last issue out? Wasn't that due an age ago? I'm getting the trades so it'll be even longer till that's out. Dammit why's it taking so long?

As for Miracleman, I think you recommended it before but I started Golden Age and couldn't finish it. Is the rest really good and how do I get hold of it? It doesn't look like it's available on Amazon.

Old 2009-03-12, 05:55 PM   #29
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

You wait for me to remember which disc the scans are on and upload them to Rapidshare. Due to a variety of hugely interesting reasons, the thing's been out of print since the mid-1990s, and due to everyone involved being egotistical power-mad bastards, it seems unlikely this will ever be resolved. Thus the only way of legally buying the series is to put ~200 into the pocket of some second hand retailer - messrs. Moore, Gaiman, Davis, Totleben, Chuck ****ing Austen, Buckingham etc. don't get any more money for that than they do for someone downloading the scans.

The Golden Age is only semi-readable if you've read the three previous books, TBH, let alone as a starting point.

Last edited by Cliffjumper; 2009-03-12 at 06:02 PM.
Old 2009-03-12, 06:23 PM   #30
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Book 1 - A Dream of Flying

Old 2009-03-12, 06:44 PM   #31
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Man, if I wasn't in the middle of reading a heap of new stuff I'd start reading Mracleman again.

Edit: Actually, Cliffy, did you scan those yourself? Are all the images the same size and quality and stuff? I might just have to replace the scans I have...

Old 2009-03-12, 06:59 PM   #32
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Book 2 - The Red King Syndrome

[Issue 8 purposefully omitted due to it just being Cat Yronwoode being a hypocritical twat and Eclipse rinsing money out of subscribers for basically nothing]

EDIT: Nah, scans are courtesy of Denyer, but IIRC the size is that consistent throughout. Good set.

Old 2009-03-12, 07:32 PM   #33
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Book 3 - Olympus

Old 2009-03-12, 09:30 PM   #34
Neuronutter
Gestalt

Halifax, NS

Cheers for that. Much appreciated. Any news on Planetary?

Old 2009-03-12, 09:54 PM   #35
Zeeks
is gettin got wif da gloc

Oa
Talking

for shits and giggles, I thought Son of Batman was rather good, especially the futuristic tale of Damian.

"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Zeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 10:00 PM   #36
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuronutter View Post
Cheers for that. Much appreciated. Any news on Planetary?
I think I heard March last year Cssidey was just starting to draw it. 2012?

Personally I basically consider the series finished. It'd be nice if they could wrap up the last couple of dangling threads, but the main body of work was completed... It's not like it's The Silver Age or something, and Gaiman's taken eight issues to get interesting but made the fatal mistake of working for the ropiest label around at the time...

Old 2009-03-13, 04:29 PM   #37
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Angry

Quote:
Personally I basically consider the series finished.
I don't.

On a lighter note, I remember when I started reading Miracleman. The first few pages I was like "you're having a laugh, right?" Then we skipped forward and suddenly all was awesome in the world.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-13, 05:03 PM   #38
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Holy hell, I read Orbiter today and it is classy stuff. It gave me emotions. My work days are spent amongst a troop of given-in technophobes who meet every mention of anything remotely spacey with, "They could be spending that money on something better," and generally seeing manned space flight as some kind of logical extension of kids in hoodies playing on their cell phones. One of them even maintains that the giant mass of data that orbital space flight has afforded us about climate change (as well as just about every other aspect of geology) is irrelevant as, apparently, moral people don't pollute and it's because of greedy fat cats ignoring the god-given affinity with the ozone layer and global evaporation rates that every real, honest working man is born with that the big ecosystems are collapsing. This is my work environment.

What I'm trying to say is, the end of Orbiter made me weep with joy.

Last edited by Terome; 2009-03-13 at 05:14 PM.
Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-13, 07:18 PM   #39
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Thumbs up

Damn straight. It makes me want to spit blood when people bleat about how much space exploration costs. Do the same people stay in their houses the whole time so as not to spend money? It's our duty as a species to get out there and see what's what, and if it costs a lot, so be it. The only reason NASA's bill is so big is because of petty people who won't pool resources.

Old 2009-03-14, 12:10 AM   #40
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
It's our duty as a species to get out there and see what's what, and if it costs a lot, so be it.
I wouldn't say it's our duty. We're not obligated to explore space just because we exist. Certainly not if the cost of it means less money for those who need it to eat and stuff.

Thing is, I don't understand why it has to cost so much. I get that these materials cost money but they don't have to be expensive. The businesses that provide the technology and materials and stuff don't have to make a huge profit just because the government is footing the bill, it's ridiculous, and the government doesn't have to throw billions of dollars around just because they can.

It's our nature to explore, to discover new things, new ideas. To learn all that we can. We explore space because we really can't help ourselves. If we have the capability to find out new information we're going to. It's what we do.

"We are a very curious race"
-Jack O'Neill Stargate SG1

1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you