• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > Other Toys, Cartoons & Comics

Old 2009-03-14, 12:30 AM   #41
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

I agree and I don't... I agree that contractors shouldn't take such a huge chunk of profit from things... However, most of NASA's budget wouldn't exist if there wasn't a NASA, and the money would just be foisted by the government elsewhere, with hardly any of it getting to those who need it. Money is outright wasted by governments worldwide on much less worthy things.

And I do feel the species really, really should get out there and see what's around. I'm not sure whether I believe in life out there (case for: it's arrogant to conclude Earth is unique on such a massive scale; case against:the chain of events that led to life on our planet is mind-boggling, and that's before getting us where we all are today), but it would surely be a good thing if we tried to find out for ourselves rather than indulge disinterest?

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-14, 12:55 AM   #42
Zeeks
is gettin got wif da gloc

Oa

favor to ask: would you guys mind recommending me something new? Maybe an independent, since I haven't read many. As for qualifications, the best thing I can come up with is that I like characters who have inner struggle; i.e. Vader- scourge of the universe ends up saving it; Hal Jordan: once destroyed the universe, got a second chance; characters with good intentions that somehow go a turn for the worse.

Some stories that I really like:

Kingdom Come
The Batman Vs. Predator collection
Rebirth/Sinestro Corps War
Star Wars: Dark Empire
Star Wars: Dark Times
Batman: No Mans Land (all 5 volumes)
Secret Wars
Hulk Vs. Thing: Hard Knocks

Looking for a trade, something readily available at my local comics store or Borders.

Thanks

Zeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-14, 12:56 AM   #43
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
but it would surely be a good thing if we tried to find out for ourselves rather than indulge disinterest?
For sure. While it's nice to hold out hope for a Contact-style race of magical space people, it's important to remember that even a whiff of a microbe, a fossil of a replicator, could revolutionise biological thinking the way physics and geology was revolutionised by the probes and landers of the last century. It's worth mentioning that Mars' sterile soil clued us in to our own ozone layer and Venus' clouds gave us the idea of global warming and put paid to the concept of a planet having a 'natural state' to which it would revert without interference. Robots are all well and good, but there's nothing like having a brain on site to puzzle things out. A small crew, well-equipped, on a year-long stint to the Moon, in our own backyard, would probably be able to cement a lot of theories on planetary formation and give us a much better idea of the history of Earth and the rest of the solar system. I read today that Antarctic ice-cores are being examined for evidence of supernovae explosions, since the radiation zapped off by one of those gets stuck in the ice and remains there for thousands of years. Think of what can be divined from a core of the Moon - a floating record of Earth's forgotten geology from the early days of the solar system.

Anyway, I'd argue that it's neither a right nor a foible for us to explore space, but that it's really our best possible option for trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-14, 01:07 AM   #44
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
As for qualifications, the best thing I can come up with is that I like characters who have inner struggle
'Fell' and 'Planetary,' both mentioned above and both by Warren Ellis, are pretty good fare for internal struggle and such. I'd recommend 'Concrete' by Paul Chadwick too, though that might not be quite big and dramatic enough for your tastes. The internal struggle in that one is a long and slow slide into depression because, hey, getting permanently body-raped by ineffable aliens isn't really much fun, even if you do get to have some adventures.

Also, did Vader actually save the Universe when he threw Skeletor down that elevator shaft? Isn't the transition period after an adrupt end to despotic rule traditionally quite brutal and bloody? If Vader had just waited things out and crushed the Alliance, he probably could have made a decent enough tyrant with Luke at his side.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 04:51 AM   #45
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Ok Brend!
Now I just finished Alias v.4 (Which was a crazy ****ing story, btw) and am wondering if I should bother with Pulse. Is it still as good as Alias?

Bendis still wrote it right?

1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 10:26 AM   #46
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

As I understand it the total amount of money NASA has generated through patents and creating employment far outstrips the amount put into it. Plus the amount of tax payers money spent on it over 50 years compares pretty favourably to the amount spent on, say, the war on terror in less than ten.

I do think there is a need for governments (and it doesn't just have to be America, more international cooperation would be great in unlikely) to put the money into scientific research and exploration for all sorts of reasons. But mainly the long term survival of the species (and indeed, all the other life forms on Earth we might take with us) depends on getting out there. This little blue dot won't endure forever, possibly not very long considering the way we treat her. We're not the best species ever but we're capable of so much and the planet's ecology has such beauty it would be a shame to keep all the eggs in one basket and for that to get snuffed out by war or or a meteorite or whatever.

Plus, if governments don't go into it for research reasons big buissness will for money reasons. Especially as our resources start to run out and the asteroid belt is a potential gold mine. Do we really want out first steps into the wider solar system to be to seek out strange new worlds and to exploit them for all their worth?

As to what we might find in terms of life...I'm sure there has been plenty of planets with life on them over the history of the Universe, including intelligent life. I do however think that, as cliffy says, the process is so long and convoluted that I'd be surprised if there were any life bearing planets currently within easy reach of our system, nor that any that might be would be at about the same stage as us.

I also think that life can probably take forms that are completely, genuinely alien to us to such a extent we'd probably have trouble recognising them as life. Considering the difficulty we have in comunicating with dolphins, or even agreeing if they are capable of comunication, despite them coming from the same stock as us imagine the problems of talking to something of a totally different biology, possibly not even carbon based, with no common frame of reference.

I know about the argument that the humanoid form is likely to be fairly common as the final evolved form of inteligent lifebecause it's perfectly suited to the environment... But I find that to be most bollocks. Our bodies aren't hugely adaptable, there are huge chunks of the planet we can't live on unaided and we're fairly fragile things. It's our brains and our abilities to use tools that give us the edge. give something like a cockroach a human brain and opposable thumbs and there's pretty much the ultimate life form.

And err.... comics. yeah. @ Hound, as you've been enjoying the films you might want to check out Titan's collections of the James Bond newspaper strips, some are deeply silly but there's generally good pulpy fun to behad and some great art.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 10:49 AM   #47
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound View Post
Ok Brend!
Now I just finished Alias v.4 (Which was a crazy ****ing story, btw) and am wondering if I should bother with Pulse. Is it still as good as Alias?

Bendis still wrote it right?
The Purple Man stuff is superb. I'm sorry, what fourth wall now?

The Pulse is alright. Not as good as Alias, but still fairly decent though. But there's only three volumes and they're quite short so should be fairly cheap.

Still Bendis so the stories are solid, though it's a different artist (which was quite jarring for me), though the guy who drew Alias does come back on board towards the end of the run.

Just basically serves to bridge the gap upto her being in New Avengers, I think. But still some enjoyable stuff in there (though mostly in the first trade).

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 05:46 PM   #48
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Have you read the latest issue of New Avengers?

SPOILER! (select to read)
Spidey reveals his identity to the team and Jessica is all, "Peter Parker?! I had the biggest crush on you in high school!!" and Cage is all, "What the #@$%!!!"

Last edited by Hound; 2009-04-22 at 08:01 PM.
Old 2009-04-22, 03:16 PM   #49
bowspearer
Over all the crap- so long.

As far from here as possible

If you feel like going for more of a novel, "Salt" by Gabrielle Lord is a really awesome post apocalyptic scifi/ conspiracy novel. Read it when I was a kid and loved it.

bowspearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 07:47 PM   #50
CounterPunch
One with the Matrix

What?

Quote:
Have you read the latest issue of New Avengers?

Spidey reveals his identity to the team and Jessica is all, "Peter Parker?! I had the biggest crush on you in high school!!" and Cage is all, "What the #@$%!!!"
About that (i have a spoilerish question, hence the tags. s[poilerish about the latest ish of Amazing S-Man)

right so, in the latest issue of Amazing Spider-Man, he reveals his identity to the FF, but before he does (and Reed comes up with a way of protecting the info) he reels off reasons for why he shouldnt tell anyone, and used various members of New Avengers as examples (wolvie brainwashed, spider-woman skrull etc, Luke Cage possessed) of how people who know could be turned against him, so in what context did this happen? Why did he reveal it? Cos it jus sounds silly, one issue he is using them as a reason not to tell people, then he is telling them

CounterPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 07:59 PM   #51
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterPunch View Post
right so, in the latest issue of Amazing Spider-Man, he reveals his identity to the FF, but before he does (and Reed comes up with a way of protecting the info) he reels off reasons for why he shouldnt tell anyone, and used various members of New Avengers as examples (wolvie brainwashed, spider-woman skrull etc, Luke Cage possessed) of how people who know could be turned against him, so in what context did this happen? Why did he reveal it? Cos it jus sounds silly, one issue he is using them as a reason not to tell people, then he is telling them
Basically the team tells him they have to know who he is if he's going to stay on the team and he goes on a bit about how he knew this day would come and all that and then just tells them.

Edit: I should have put that other post in spoiler tags. Oops, sorry to anyone that that messed something up for.

Old 2009-04-23, 01:33 AM   #52
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

So glad they did that massive retcon, cause now we get to watch him reveal his identity to everyone with five dollars and/or a catsuit all over again. Huzzah.

Nothing massively spoileriffic, but just in case...

Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 04:39 AM   #53
Ackula
Charnel House

CA

I know I'm late as hell to this thread, and frankly can't be bothered to back track and see if you are still looking for a TPB to read..but if you are I have a suggestion. Star Wars Legacy. There are like 5 TPB out for it right now, I can't recommend this series enough, even to casual Star Wars fans. I'm no huge Star Wars fanatic, and prior to reading this I didn't have hardly any knowledge of the expanded universe stuff at all, but its really not needed as this storyline is set so far in the future from any previous stuff.

Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 07:59 AM   #54
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Well, right now I'm 4 volumes into Fables and will probably still be reading this series a year from now as it's still an ongoing and has a spinoff that I'll probably want to read. Plus I'll be picking up Pulse too as I'm able.

It's going to be a long time now til I'll need something new to read.

Generally I stay away from those titles though. I've never been that much a Star Wars fan. I do have a friend that has expressed interest in maybe trying a Star Wars comic, I'll have to mention that I heard that that one was really good.

Old 2009-04-23, 04:12 PM   #55
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Well, right now I'm 4 volumes into Fables and will probably still be reading this series a year from now as it's still an ongoing and has a spinoff that I'll probably want to read.
Meh. Jack of Fables is middling at best. There are a few things worth reading early on, but I dropped it after about eight issues.

Of course, Jack was one of my least favorite characters from the main title, so that probably had something to do with it.

Old 2009-04-23, 08:33 PM   #56
bowspearer
Over all the crap- so long.

As far from here as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man Wade View Post
So glad they did that massive retcon, cause now we get to watch him reveal his identity to everyone with five dollars and/or a catsuit all over again. Huzzah.

Nothing massively spoileriffic, but just in case...

I actually haven't read the Marvelverse since Civil War? So how come
noone know's who Spiderman is
?

bowspearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 08:46 PM   #57
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Okay, here goes.

Toward the end of Civil War, Aunt May was shot by an assassin hired by the Kingpin. Aunt May winds up on the verge of death, Peter loses his shit, and dons the black costume to hunt down the person responsible. He follows the trail back to the Kingpin, and proceeds to beat him down in front of the entire prison population. Fight makes for a really good issue, actually.

Later, Aunt May still refuses to either die or wake up, Peter's looking for ways to help her, visits Dr. Strange, talks to Iron Man, no one cares. Mephisto shows up and offers him a deal. No one remembers who is under the mask (they remember Spidey unmasked, but not who it was), Aunt May is fine, Harry Osborn is randomly still alive, etc. Woo-hoo. In return, Peter and MJ were never married.

Basically just Joe Quesada picking and choosing what's still canon.

Gave it every opportunity, but Brand New Day was just out-and-out awful.

Old 2009-04-23, 10:11 PM   #58
CounterPunch
One with the Matrix

What?

Ive got up to date with Spidey since One More Day and I definitely found it depended very much on the writer, for the most part I really enjoyed Slott, and I think there was some Guggenheim stuff I liked, I cant really recall what stuff was specifically Wells, Waid or Gale tho

CounterPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 06:22 PM   #59
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

I've read the first two volumes of Pulse and both I couldn't put down once I started them. They're very short though.

Good stuff and not expensive, yay!

Old 2009-05-07, 08:15 PM   #60
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?t=46502

Grant Morrison has a crack at a 1990s Miracleman, also doing a crossover with the Dandy and the Amazing Three along the way.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote