• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > Other Toys, Cartoons & Comics

Old 2017-02-04, 10:49 AM   #1001
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

Lego Star Wars 75168 Yoda's Jedi Starfighter - I bought this as I like the how some of the prequel era vehicles look like predecessors to the original trilogy vehicles.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-10, 05:38 AM   #1002
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Two new Marvel Legends figures were waiting for me on my doorstep today!

After hearing what Brend had to say and looking at some pics, I was a bit put off by the recent Venom. It's a big figure, sure, but Venom is supposed to be big. And then I didn't really see any in stores, and it wasn't in stock online anywhere that I shop, so I kind of forgot about him. But when the new, smaller Spidey body came out I figured maybe he wasn't too small after all, and when the wave popped up again on Amazon I grabbed one. Now that I have it in hand, I think it just about works. It could stand to be a hair bigger, but this guy dwarfs the shit out of the new Teen Spidey body and still looks like a beast holding up my older ASM2 Spidey by the neck. I'm sure they'll do a classic Venom BAF one day in the not too distant future, but honestly I think this mold looks fine.

Not a huge fan of the alternate tongue-lashing head, though. I get the effect they were going for, but the green "slime" they painted on it is too bright and solid-looking to look anything like the monstrous slobber that sometimes dribbles out of the guy's mouth.

The other figure was the Enchantress! She's basically a repaint of the Scarlet Witch from a couple years back, but since she doesn't have the big cape that Wanda came with she can just about manage to stand on her stupid high-heels if you've got some patience to fiddle around. The paint job on the figure is superb, the rubber-molded skirt piece gives her a unique silhouette and the new head sculpt is once of the nicest I've ever seen. The cruel half-smirk makes it perfectly clear just what kind of character she is even if you've never seen her in anything.

Of course, I know almost nothing about her history in the Thor comics -- mainly I wanted her so she could face off with the upcoming Disco Dazzler. I have strange priorities, I know.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-11, 10:11 AM   #1003
HeavyArms
Unicron

LEGO Dimensions Team Pack - Adventure Time.

Lego Star Wars 75091 Flash Speeder - I missed this back when it was available on shelves locally a couple of years ago, so i finally pulled the trigger on it.

Old 2017-02-12, 10:49 AM   #1004
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Went to see the Lego Batman Movie last weekend at the IMAX (first time I've been to an IMAX cinema since I was about 8!) and really enjoyed it. Its not Lego Movie good, but is fun and has a high hit rate of gags. And I love the Batman song "someone stop him before he starts singing!"

Anyway, all that product placement has done the trick over the last few days as I've picked up:

Lego Batman Movie 70910 Scarecrow Special Delivery

This is probably the best of the 20 sets. The builds both feel substantial and interact well with each other (although I turned the direction of the barrier around to have the security check point make a bit more sense). Scarecrow looks excellent, wearing his costume under a pizza delivery uniform, and the bike-trailer thing is very cool. The guard comes with an interchangeable head - supposedly to represent him reacting to the fear toxins, but the differences between his two faces are so subtle as to have not been worth the effort. Another Batman figure rounds out the set. I will soon have a mighty army of Batmen (Batmans?).

Lego Batman 70905 The Batmobile

I bought this through Lego.com so got a free polybag of Disco Batman and Tears of A Clown Batman (currently cluttering up ebay by the metric ton with silly prices by greedy opportunists) and its a huge fun set, and definitely justifies its RRP. Its a very involved build, taking around an hour and half, and has quite a heft to it when complete. The styling on this is somewhere between a 1930s Limousine and a Monster Truck. It looks so good. The flip off roof hatch is a bit of a feeble feature, and I'm not mad keen on the stud shooters, but they're nicely integrated, so not much of a problem. The major action feature are the adjustable wheels, which allow to raise and lower the height of the vehicle (to a point where you can run a regular CiTY car underneath it - I have tried this!) which makes for some great play. The minifigure selection is good; in addition to Batman and Robin, you get Man Bat (love his worried face) and the Kabuki Twins, all of whom are excellent and nicely detailed. Batman and Robin can sit side by side in the cockpit, which is great, and I love the overall look and appearance of this - I love the use of the '60s Black and Red across Batman's vehicles and the yellow cockpit gives me warm and fuzzies for the original Blacktron stuff. All in all, an excellent and impressive set

Also popped along to TRU yesterday who had a free Mini-Build which is a small CiTY car done up with some bat wings. Its a compact like the one came with the Lego Movie Double decker couch, itself just a refresh of a vehicle that had appeared in CiTY a few years previous. Its a good thing for a freebie (although my branch was running short on a few of the parts), but a bit of shame that Batman can't actually sit in this thing (his cowl is too tall). Good for Robin though!

I also picked up the Joker's Lowrider, which I got 10 off and a free backpack (which is ace!), so that made that worth the while to pick up ( I wasn't going to bother as it retails for the same as the Batmobile, which seemed a bit much to me). I've yet to build this - thoughts will follow!

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-18, 09:41 AM   #1005
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

SH Figuarts DC Devilman

There's been a few figures based on the 70's anime Devilman but they were all fairly old and showing their age (plus I never went out of my way to track them down), so a modern figure with a nicer sculpt was welcome.

Interestingly, the abdominal piece doesn't appear to be connected to anything and the joint connecting the chest to the pelvis is simply inside of it, rather than having separate pelvis and chest joints.

Annoyingly they didn't include a slot to fit a coin or a fingernail in to remove the backplate on the wing piece like they did on the default one, so removing it is frustratingly difficult.

Soul of Chogokin GX-08 Aphrodite A

First Mazinger girl bot I got! I must've not been paying a lot of attention because this one turned out to be brand new in a sealed box, despite being fairly old now, so I got to apply the label to the stand myself.

I have to admit that I'm not too thrilled about the fact that pretty much everything except for the upper torso, head and hands are die cast, including the joints, because 1) potential paint wear, and 2) the joints will probably become loose faster than if they were plastic and are that much harder to re-tighten.

SH Figuarts Shocker Combatman

So I bought a second one because these guys are supposed to be disposable mooks and there's supposed to be more than one, I take him out of the box, I swap the hands...and immediately snap the other wrist joint. Goddamnit.

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-18, 11:47 PM   #1006
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Lego Batman Movie some numbers Jokers Notorious Lowrider

First off, the Harley Quinn minifigure from this set is OUTSTANDING. Right, that's that out of the way. So, this set goes for the same as the Batmobile (unless like me, you manage to get it at a discount with free things to mitigate the cost. Or you live in the US, where the price is waay more reasonable. "Brexit" is to blame, says Lego...), and I can kind of see why - it packs in the same amount of parts, but they're just a bunch of largely small pieces which makes for a very dense build. The design of this is just awesome, like some old American car done up by that show from off of MTV. Except a bit more sober. The purple and lime green is excellent, as are the gold trim on the wheels and whatnot (love the chicken hood ornament), and I like the zebra print interior. You can shoot two spring loaded missiles (in green) from the boot, which is neat (unless you have the boot closed) and the low-rider suspension thingy thing for doing that bouncing stuff is a well executed feature (and you can get it to stay in a mid-bounce position, despite what some reviews say). The Joker is a very nice figure, reminiscent of his recent live action Suicide Squad appearance, and Batgirl makes for a nice addition. So why am I a bit cool on it? Well, in a line of imaginative vehicles and playsets (er, except for the Batcave, which is just a rehash of sets we've had before), this is a remarkably sober design. Its good, don't get me wrong, but its just not as wigged out as the DC line's Steam Roller or the even older Hammer Truck that Harley Quinn used to ride around in, which is a curious affair. I get what they were going for here, but with so many other imaginative designs in the series (and even compared to other Joker sets), this just looks a little less amazing than it should.

Old 2017-02-25, 06:00 PM   #1007
HeavyArms
Unicron

Lego Nexo Knights 70350 The Three Brothers

Lego Batman Movie 70904 Clayface Splat Attack

Lego Batman Movie 70910 Scarecrow Special Delivery

Bought these during the last fortnight.

Old 2017-02-25, 07:14 PM   #1008
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Doctor Who 3.75" Figures Skovox Blitzer, Cyberman w/weapon arm, The Foretold, 12th Doctor in Caretaker get up w/ backpack

These Wave 4 (it says so on the packets) 3.75" figures have been cluttering up the aisles at Home Bargains for a few months now, and I was looking at them and thinking they look pretty neat. And they are! The Foretold figure is incredibly grisly looking and very nicely detailed. The Cyberman figure is really nice, I love the Iron Man-esque redesign and this is a very good representation of the thing. The Skovox Blitzer looks much better as a toy than the thing did on screen. Its a podgy little shooty robot thing. The 12th Doctor himself is excellent, and whilst likenesses are difficult to pull off at this scale, Character have done a very good job here. The back pack is a fun accessory and the tiny sonic screwdriver is nice. All told, I'm impressed and these are easily as good as Character's 5" scale DW figures.

Old 2017-03-01, 05:59 AM   #1009
Warcry

I ran into the new Guardians of the Galaxy wave of Marvel Legends at the local EB Games today! I'm not much of a GotG fan (not read the comics, and wasn't blown away by the movie even if I enjoyed it), don't want a toy of Thor's skanky-looking sister and can't be bothered with Kid Nova. But Darkhawk? Darkhawk I'll take.

I'm not super familiar with the character and try my best not to buy Legends figures of characters I don't know just because they look awesome...but Darkhawk looks really, really awesome. Really, just an amazing costume design that Hasbro did an amazing job realizing in the plastic. The wings, the buts of silver armour, the amulet and the Cylon helmet all combine to give him a super unique look. The sparkly blue paint is great too. Obviously the wings get in the way of posing him a big, because they're freaking gigantic, but they also add so many posing possibilities that I think it's a net gain.

There's one pretty obvious flaw with the figure, though. The boot swivel on his right leg is pretty seriously misaligned. At first I thought there was an assembly error on my example, that maybe he used two of the same upper shin piece or something like that. But no. He's assembled correctly, but the lower shin just doesn't want to line up with the upper. No matter how you twist it, the lower part of the shin is a millimeter or so too far right and back compared to the top. And judging by the review pics I've seen, this is a common issue. It doesn't bother me too much, but it does put a bit of a damper on what is otherwise one of the nicest Legends figures I've bought to date.

Old 2017-03-04, 11:19 AM   #1010
HeavyArms
Unicron

Lego Batman Movie 70900 The Joker Balloon Escape

Lego Batman Movie 70903 The Riddler Riddle Racer

Old 2017-03-04, 08:59 PM   #1011
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Lego Batman Movie 70908 The Scuttler
Man, i love this thing! Its a scampering bat-robot suit thing! I love how expressive it is, with its waggily ears and tilty head. Its perhaps not as poseable as I'd like - whilst the rear legs have all the joints you want, the front legs (well, arms really, they're mimicking folded up batwings...sort of) only have 'elbow' joint and are a little bit limited by the extending gimmick. The detailing is excellent - I like all the hoses and vents and stuff - although the underside of the main body is a bit plain. Set comes with some cool minifigures too - Dick Grayson in his sparkly jacket, Barbara and Jim Gordon, The Joker, Batman and the absolute stand out- Poison Ivy, who looks stunning and gets to ride around on a plant thingy!

Lego Batman Movie 70907 Killer Croc Tail Gator
Of all the current LBM sets, this is probably the most mental. Its a big old croc driving a beat up pick-up truck that's got some raised suspension. Its utterly ridiculous, but incredibly fun! I like the box of frogs you can lob in the path of a pursuing enemy and the big ol' skull on the bonnet. Props have to go for the sily gearstick and steering column that poke out the back of the cab so Croc can drive this thing! He's partnered up with Zebra Man and Tarantula who are both aces, and Batman gets a cool little jet-ski to chase them on.

Old 2017-03-06, 12:11 PM   #1012
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
There's one pretty obvious flaw with the figure, though.
That Darkhawk sucks?

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-06, 05:19 PM   #1013
Warcry

I don't think I've even read anything with him in it, so I can safely ignore that and just concentrate on how he looks cool.

Even his Wikipedia article makes him sound Iceman-tier ultra boring though, I have to say.

Old 2017-03-06, 06:23 PM   #1014
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Quote:
I don't think I've even read anything with him in it, so I can safely ignore that and just concentrate on how he looks cool.
"Who cares if he sucks, he looks cool" - shit like this is how the 90s happened, dude.

Quote:
Even his Wikipedia article makes him sound Iceman-tier ultra boring though, I have to say.
His best showing was in War of Kings which crucially wasn't actually him for most of it.

Old 2017-03-06, 08:50 PM   #1015
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Darkhawk had lots of shiny covers for his comic in the '90s. I thought he looked silly.

Old 2017-03-06, 09:31 PM   #1016
Warcry

I think he looks pretty ridiculous in drawn form, actually. Not sure how the toy turned out so cool, or why so many fans had been clamouring for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
"Who cares if he sucks, he looks cool" - shit like this is how the 90s happened, dude.
On the one hand, that's a very good point. On the other, you spend money on MP-tier figures of characters like Gears, so you have no room to talk.

Besides, if I skipped out on Legends figures because the characters sucked that would eliminate >90% of the line, considering how awful most of the Marvel lineup apparently is these days!

Old 2017-03-07, 08:48 AM   #1017
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Quote:
On the other, you spend money on MP-tier figures of characters like Gears, so you have no room to talk.
1) And I'll do the same with Huffer
2) At least I know who they are when I'm spending money on them

Old 2017-03-11, 03:38 PM   #1018
HeavyArms
Unicron

Lego Batman Movie 70901 Mr. Freeze Ice Attack.

Old 2017-03-12, 07:23 AM   #1019
Warcry

Finally tracked down a Marvel Legends black suit Spidey! Not much new or surprising here, honestly. I already own a couple different figures on the Pizza Spidey body (Iceman and Speed Demon) and don't quite get the love affair with it. It's got lots of joints but not the best range of motion, and really isn't all that much more poseable than the average Legends body. I would have guessed that maybe it's just that much better than previous Spidey bodies, but my ASM2 Spidey is better in almost every way, so I know that's not it. Maybe it was just a TRUKK NOT MUNKY-style "finally we have a good comic Spidey!", but honestly I can't even tell the difference between the old movie suit and the comic one, so it's a big m'eh for me.

So what we've got here is a body type that I'd say is pretty middle of the road, a 100% repaint with no new parts at that...but it's wearing one of my very favourite comic costumes ever. Spider-Man's symbiote suit is a sharp, distinctive look, but Hasbro always seems to have trouble with white paint on black parts and both of the Spideys I saw in store had a lot of slop. I wound up buying the one that needed a few touchups in spots that had been missed rather than the one that had extra globs of paint, and after I fixed it it looks fine, but I'm glad I didn't order the thing online if this is what the QC is like.

And it captures the look just fine, though I have to say I'm not quite as in love with the design in the plastic as I am in the comics and cartoons I've seen it in. I think it's just because the mold's ridiculous muscle definition really shows up on the black plastic. I mean Spidey's always been drawn with decent muscles, but he's still a lanky kid. This toy looks like an Olympic swimmer with 0% body fat, or an MMA fighter who just cut 20 lbs of water and fat to make weigh-in. Even by superhero figure standards, it's a bit extreme. It doesn't look bad by any means but I don't think this mold suits the character anywhere near as much as the ASM2 or teen Spidey bodies do. I like the figure, but I guess I was hoping to like it more than I do.

Old 2017-03-18, 01:53 PM   #1020
HeavyArms
Unicron

LEGO Dimensions Fun Pack - E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial.