• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > Other Toys, Cartoons & Comics

Old 2017-03-19, 03:48 PM   #1021
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Not something I've bought (yet) as I prefer and hacked together an older Babs, but apparently last year the Oracle in the ~15 years old Bird of Prey set got an update via an Arkham Knight two pack:

http://www.actionfigurebarbecue.com/...rl-oracle.html

https://i.imgur.com/zzx3qcM.jpg

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-22, 03:47 AM   #1022
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

Soul of Chogokin GX-12 Venus A.

In one hand, I wish I'd waited a little longer so I could've bought Diana A instead (since that one crops up at an affordable price quite a bit less frequently, and Mandarake suddenly had her in stock the day this one entered the country) - but in the other, this completes the "hero" cast of Great Mazinger since I already had that, Boss Borot, and Robot Junior from Evolution Toys, so at least I've got that going on.

Still, that's two down and two more to go. Regarding the Mazinger lady bots, that is.

Tetsuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-24, 04:25 PM   #1023
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

It's been a while since I bought something that wasn't a Transformer (or an amiibo for that matter). Walmart has been clearing out their 6" Black Series figs since the Rogue One stuff has been clogging the pegs, so I found K-2SO for <$10. Considered him several times over but couldn't convince myself to bite on a $20 figure with no accessories. Glad I waited!!!

K2 is very tall - Vader and Phasma only come to his shoulder - and also very thin. He's still got interesting articulation that's hard to describe... his shoulders are quite standard, but there's swivel joints on the arms and legs everywhere. If you've seen the movie you'll know K2 has hollow elbows, knees, and ankles, which Hasbro addressed with hinge joints held together by clear plastic pins. It's really fantastic to look at and incredibly unique. The neck joint is a double-ball - one between the shoulders and one in the head socket. For a droid he's got a bunch of neat features and articulation I haven't seen yet, considering all the humanoids of the line feature the same basic articulation system (which is pretty much the same as the Marvel Legends figs too).

The paint apps are great too, with silver dings and dents all over, buttons with detail, and great molded definition everywhere. He looks appropriately... used. The whites of the eyes are super bright on the matte black plastic to boot, giving him a ghostly white look. Overall, I'm really pleased he's on my shelf, as he's a marvel of a figure and fun character from the flick.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-25, 11:36 AM   #1024
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

Just a Lego Tartan Batman mini-figure that is included in a Lego Batman Movie activity book.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-31, 03:54 PM   #1025
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Marvel Legends Shocker was waiting in the mailbox last night.

He's kinda awful.

I can understand why Hasbro didn't want to invest in new tooling that they'll never reuse for a Z-list nobody like Shocker, but it's kind of hilarious to see this worthless middle-aged shlub realized in plastic form as a rippling tower of muscle. It's also a shame that the "quilt" portions of his costume aren't sculpted in. But I knew that he was 90% reused tooling going in, and expected that. What I didn't expect was the awful paintjob. Some of the lines on his neck just kinda...stop a millimetre or two before they're supposed to, so they don't meet up with the darker portion of the costume. And at the join lines where the different parts are glued together (like the front and back of his torso), the lines don't match up at all. He's also got a paint smear on one thigh, but that's a freak accident that I'm a lot more willing to look past than the other paint issues, which just smack of sloppiness on the part of whoever designed the deco to begin with. I'm so disappointed that I didn't even bother to check to see if he got the Thunderbolts logo that they added as a running change, or not.

Hopefully the Captain Britain coming on Monday will be better.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-01, 10:19 AM   #1026
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

Lego 41150 Moana's Ocean Voyage.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-03, 02:43 PM   #1027
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Sorry for the long post in advance...

Picked up a couple different figures this weekend, one which earns a nice 'meh' rating and the other a bit higher. We'll start with the 'meh':

Picked up the DC Multiverse Suicide Squad Batman. I've been meaning to get my hands on a Batman to add to my older Green Lantern and Superman (DC Universe figures I believe... the ones before BAF pieces became the thing to do). I found him on clearance for $10 USD, and hooo boy am I glad I didn't pay full price for him. In the figure's defense he comes with a bunch of little accessories - gas mask face, gas grenade, grappling hook pistol, handcuffs, and 3 batarangs. Much nicer than the same repacked figure without any of the fancy do-dads for $16.84 ('Rollback', by the way) that was on the next peg. Anyhoo, the figure looks nice even though the aesthetic between my three figures doesn't match up - it's OK by me since Batman is always the more 'gritty' looking dude of the Justice League. The huge problem is the articulation. For a figure on the same price point as the Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black Series, these figures might as well be statues. How on God's Green Earth do these things still have hips that were designed a decade ago? And having only one joint on the elbows and knees in today's market seems like a crime. I suppose Hasbro's Star Wars figures have spoiled me, what with their double jointed elbows and knees, rocker ankles and wrists, and hips that still look natural with the legs in an action pose. I still like Batman, just not as much as the other figure I picked up...

Marvel Legends Wolverine (Old Man Style). This figure comes with NO accessories of BAF pieces, and manages to be a much nicer figure than Batman. I wanted a Wolverine figure but couldn't get my hands on the traditional maroon/yellow version that's both practically retail non-existent and ridiculously over-priced online. Because of the '90s cartoon, an old Wolverine figure, and a throw pillow I had when I was young, I've always had a small soft spot for Wolvie even though I'm much more of a DC person. The 'old man' figure was easier to find and is really nice. The claws take a little massaging to get uniform, but the detail is great and the grumpy old man look is quite enjoyable. Those and the significantly better articulation make Wolverine a much finer purchase than Batman. Saw a bunch of Punishers at Walgreens too, those looked pretty.

Old 2017-04-03, 03:55 PM   #1028
Warcry

The difference really is stark when you look at them side by side, isn't it? Even the worst Legends figures are leagues ahead of Mattel's DC stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
I found him on clearance for $10 USD, and hooo boy am I glad I didn't pay full price for him. In the figure's defense he comes with a bunch of little accessories - gas mask face, gas grenade, grappling hook pistol, handcuffs, and 3 batarangs. Much nicer than the same repacked figure without any of the fancy do-dads for $16.84 ('Rollback', by the way) that was on the next peg.
The other figure was probably still hanging around from the Batman vs. Superman line, where they packed like six different Batman variants per case. I didn't realize they'd put out another one!

I've got the BvS figure, and while the sculpting is nice it's definitely not worth anywhere near full price. Not when you line it up against what Hasbro is putting out for the same price. If they were $15 USD/$22something CAD? Okay, maybe.

Quote:
How on God's Green Earth do these things still have hips that were designed a decade ago? And having only one joint on the elbows and knees in today's market seems like a crime.
The ridiculous thing is that Mattel started to put double elbows and double knees into some of their their DCUC figures in 2011, and as I understand it they had ankle rockers for a while before that, so it's not like the toy designers don't understand that their engineering is behind the times. Neither feature lasted though, probably cut out so that Mattel could make a few more cents per figure.

Quote:
Marvel Legends Wolverine (Old Man Style). This figure comes with NO accessories of BAF pieces, and manages to be a much nicer figure than Batman.
Considering the story he comes from, it's hilarious that they didn't at least include clawless hands with the guy.

The new body mold looks nice, but I'd like to have it with a younger Wolverine head. Or maybe something based on the comics' Days of Future Past design. Old Man Logan is kinda bland compared to how he usually looks.

Quote:
I wanted a Wolverine figure but couldn't get my hands on the traditional maroon/yellow version that's both practically retail non-existent and ridiculously over-priced online.
It's amazing that Wolverine of all people became the impossible to find figure from the wave. The character always used to be overpacked and turn into a shelfwarmer in the past. Even Deadpool is easy to find for retail price now, but I've never seen Wolverine selling for retail since the original preorders. It's a glorious figure too, and it's a shame people can't get their hands on it.

On the other hand, it's Wolverine we're talking about so I'm sure we'll see the mold redecoed out in different colours every couple years from now until infinity. I'm looking forward to a classic tiger-striped blue/yellow to go with the lovely 80s brown/yellow.

Quote:
Saw a bunch of Punishers at Walgreens too, those looked pretty.
Punisher's okay as long as you don't mind that he can't hold his guns properly because they didn't mold his hands with trigger fingers. Oh, and I just discovered yesterday that the paint on his rifle likes to rub off on his hands.

Old 2017-04-03, 07:02 PM   #1029
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
The difference really is stark when you look at them side by side, isn't it? Even the worst Legends figures are leagues ahead of Mattel's DC stuff.

The other figure was probably still hanging around from the Batman vs. Superman line, where they packed like six different Batman variants per case. I didn't realize they'd put out another one!

I've got the BvS figure, and while the sculpting is nice it's definitely not worth anywhere near full price. Not when you line it up against what Hasbro is putting out for the same price. If they were $15 USD/$22something CAD? Okay, maybe.
It really is. On their own merits, either figure is probably fine. Knowing that something far superior is available at the same cost across the aisle is perplexing. The detail in the face is much different too; Batman doesn't have much to work with anyways, but there isn't much of fine details to be had. The head on Old Wolverine on the other hand, is fantastically molded.

I've seen three of the Batflecks that I can remember - the one I think you have (BvS) that doesn't come with anything, the SS one I have with all the thingies, and a third 'unmasked' Batman that's the same with Affleck's head and a rubbery cowl. For the price I think I've gotten the best of the ones I have seen. The others I can think of are the BvS armored one, the DKR armored one, and the DKR old Bats. I suppose that makes six, eh? Probably missing a variant or seven.

As you said, if these were $15 instead of $20 compared to the Marvel stuff, the hurt wouldn't be as bad.

Quote:
The ridiculous thing is that Mattel started to put double elbows and double knees into some of their their DCUC figures in 2011, and as I understand it they had ankle rockers for a while before that, so it's not like the toy designers don't understand that their engineering is behind the times. Neither feature lasted though, probably cut out so that Mattel could make a few more cents per figure.
That's nuts, but the pennies comment is likely spot on. I swear the SS Harley Quinn figure had Hasbro-ish hips, but I could be wrong. I know the SS Joker next to her for sure had Mattel hips.

Quote:
Considering the story he comes from, it's hilarious that they didn't at least include clawless hands with the guy.

The new body mold looks nice, but I'd like to have it with a younger Wolverine head. Or maybe something based on the comics' Days of Future Past design. Old Man Logan is kinda bland compared to how he usually looks.
Upon further inspection, the claws can be removed. They're thin, so I don't think I would do it often, and their absence leaves holes between the knuckles. Perhaps Hasbro skipped the extra hands since they're removable.

Quote:
It's amazing that Wolverine of all people became the impossible to find figure from the wave. The character always used to be overpacked and turn into a shelfwarmer in the past. Even Deadpool is easy to find for retail price now, but I've never seen Wolverine selling for retail since the original preorders. It's a glorious figure too, and it's a shame people can't get their hands on it.

On the other hand, it's Wolverine we're talking about so I'm sure we'll see the mold redecoed out in different colours every couple years from now until infinity. I'm looking forward to a classic tiger-striped blue/yellow to go with the lovely 80s brown/yellow.
I wonder if stock will catch up at all... but not likely. I've already seen the next wave all over the shelves (OK, maybe not Cyclops) so there's little hope for that.

I hope they repaint to blue/yellow. As much as I like the brown/yellow since I had 3 3/4" figure like that with retractable claws, the blue/yellow hits home a little more because of the cartoon and my pillow. Plus, I'm a Michigan Wolverines fan, so there's a triple-dip there.

Quote:
Punisher's okay as long as you don't mind that he can't hold his guns properly because they didn't mold his hands with trigger fingers. Oh, and I just discovered yesterday that the paint on his rifle likes to rub off on his hands.
Well that's a bummer. It's also quite dumb to mold his hands like that, given he's a gun-toting character. That, and nearly all the Star Wars figures come with trigger-finger hands straight away.

Any thoughts on the classic-style Cap? Saw him at Marshall's on Friday for $7, but passed. Don't know if I like that style... I think it's the tops of the boots and the gloves that does it. His chin is pretty boxy too. I think I prefer the Chris Evans/Civil war look a bit better, but the classic was pretty neat.

Old 2017-04-03, 07:31 PM   #1030
tahukanuva
Human After All

Tennessee, US

For the Punisher, all that stands between you and working trigger fingers is about fifteen seconds and an X-Acto knife. His hands are pliable enough that once the index finger's cut free from the rest of the hand it'll fit into his trigger guards just fine.

tahukanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-03, 08:20 PM   #1031
Warcry

Quote:
I've seen three of the Batflecks that I can remember - the one I think you have (BvS) that doesn't come with anything, the SS one I have with all the thingies, and a third 'unmasked' Batman that's the same with Affleck's head and a rubbery cowl. For the price I think I've gotten the best of the ones I have seen. The others I can think of are the BvS armored one, the DKR armored one, and the DKR old Bats. I suppose that makes six, eh? Probably missing a variant or seven.
They also did armoured and Knightmare versions of Batfleck, though those are at least unique molds and not reuses of the original with extras added in. But still, way too many Batmen on the shelf at once. I mean, Hasbro leans heavily on their A-Listers too, but they at least have confidence in more than one character being able to sell. Most Legends waves will have an Iron Man, Cap, Spidey, Wolverine or <insert star of latest Marvel movie here> but for most of them that means one or two figures a year...enough to keep them available without over-saturating. The only one they really go crazy with is Spidey, and even then it's not like I've ever walked down a toy aisle and seen nothing but three pegs full of Spideys where the Legends are supposed to be.

Quote:
That's nuts, but the pennies comment is likely spot on. I swear the SS Harley Quinn figure had Hasbro-ish hips, but I could be wrong. I know the SS Joker next to her for sure had Mattel hips.
I usually avoid Mattel's female figures on account of them being even more statue-like than their male ones, but I'm pretty sure they've used ball-joint hips on female figures in the past.

Quote:
Upon further inspection, the claws can be removed. They're thin, so I don't think I would do it often, and their absence leaves holes between the knuckles. Perhaps Hasbro skipped the extra hands since they're removable.
I'd have thought that, except that last year's brown-suit Wolverine has the same claws and they still saw fit to include a set of un-snikted fists with him. So I guess all the pouch-belts on Cyclops and Shatterstar ate up the accessory budget for the whole wave.

Quote:
I wonder if stock will catch up at all... but not likely. I've already seen the next wave all over the shelves (OK, maybe not Cyclops) so there's little hope for that.
Probably not, no. With the new wave hitting, what you see is likely all you're going to get. They did a separate production run of Deadpool and shipped him to specialty stores, and it was rumoured that they'd do Wolverine too, but it doesn't seem like that ever happened.

It sounds like Cyclops is going to be the impossible-to-find one out of this year's wave, which is funny because most of the reviews I've seen say that he's a complete piece of garbage.

Quote:
I hope they repaint to blue/yellow. As much as I like the brown/yellow since I had 3 3/4" figure like that with retractable claws, the blue/yellow hits home a little more because of the cartoon and my pillow. Plus, I'm a Michigan Wolverines fan, so there's a triple-dip there.
A couple years ago I probably wouldn't have even bought the brown suit, but after reading through so many of the old comics the last couple years I really have to say that Wolverine's best days came in the brown outfit. I'd love to have a blue/yellow version as well, but the brown's pretty quickly superseded it as my favourite Wolverine outfit.

Quote:
Any thoughts on the classic-style Cap? Saw him at Marshall's on Friday for $7, but passed. Don't know if I like that style... I think it's the tops of the boots and the gloves that does it. His chin is pretty boxy too. I think I prefer the Chris Evans/Civil war look a bit better, but the classic was pretty neat.
Are you talking about the one that comes with the wolf head? I'm not a big fan of the (human) head mold. The boxy chin is a big part of it, but honestly he just looks kinda ugly. Not a super big fan of the classic costume design either.

But then I'm Canadian, and Cap was never really all that popular up here until the movies hit, so I tend to see the Chris Evans look by default when I imagine the character. And in spite of a lot of tries, Hasbro's never managed to make the movie Cap figures look anything like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahukanuva View Post
For the Punisher, all that stands between you and working trigger fingers is about fifteen seconds and an X-Acto knife. His hands are pliable enough that once the index finger's cut free from the rest of the hand it'll fit into his trigger guards just fine.
True enough. Can't say I'm all that keen on slicing up my figures though. At least not for something so delicate. I'm just as likely to lop a finger off entirely.

Old 2017-04-03, 08:50 PM   #1032
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahukanuva View Post
True enough! I did something similar with Generations Arcee's hands, though on the bottom so the handles actually slid all the way down. That plastic is more rigid, so I think Punisher's might be easier. Not that I've bought one yet, but my local Walgreens (1 of 3) has about 20 in stock, so I'm not worried to rush out.

Quote:
They also did armoured and Knightmare versions of Batfleck, though those are at least unique molds and not reuses of the original with extras added in. But still, way too many Batmen on the shelf at once. I mean, Hasbro leans heavily on their A-Listers too, but they at least have confidence in more than one character being able to sell. Most Legends waves will have an Iron Man, Cap, Spidey, Wolverine or <insert star of latest Marvel movie here> but for most of them that means one or two figures a year...enough to keep them available without over-saturating. The only one they really go crazy with is Spidey, and even then it's not like I've ever walked down a toy aisle and seen nothing but three pegs full of Spideys where the Legends are supposed to be.
Yep, that's a bunch of Batmen. Almost like Hasbro with Prime & Bee!

Quote:
Are you talking about the one that comes with the wolf head? I'm not a big fan of the (human) head mold. The boxy chin is a big part of it, but honestly he just looks kinda ugly. Not a super big fan of the classic costume design either.

But then I'm Canadian, and Cap was never really all that popular up here until the movies hit, so I tend to see the Chris Evans look by default when I imagine the character. And in spite of a lot of tries, Hasbro's never managed to make the movie Cap figures look anything like him.
Yep, that's the one. Thought I was digging around minutes ago (I'm a huge noob when it comes to the Marvel Legends) and found a Marvel Now! Captain America that looks pretty suave. Not sure what the availability is though. Kinda like the movie aesthetic, but leaning on a bit of movie-ish design, so I think I'll pass on the 'classic' one anyhow.

Old 2017-04-03, 09:16 PM   #1033
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Not here yet but I have bought a thing that I am VERY EXCITE but it's not what any of you will be expecting, soc if anyone guesses it before it gett here and I pos about it then I will give you A PRIZE.*

It's v deep-continuity narrative pay-off, but I doubt even long-term viewers will see it coming.

*Prize not guaranteed good.

Last edited by Brendocon 2.0; 2017-04-03 at 09:16 PM. Reason: ****, my spelling's terrible today. Sod it, gonna leave it how it is as a symbol of my excite.
Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-04, 04:59 AM   #1034
Warcry

Quote:
Yep, that's the one. Thought I was digging around minutes ago (I'm a huge noob when it comes to the Marvel Legends) and found a Marvel Now! Captain America that looks pretty suave. Not sure what the availability is though. Kinda like the movie aesthetic, but leaning on a bit of movie-ish design, so I think I'll pass on the 'classic' one anyhow.
They've made about 482 different Caps over the course of the line, so finding one you like shouldn't be too difficult. If you're talking about the one I think you are, it seems pretty cool. They do so many Cap variants that I find it hard to get all that excited about any of them, though.

But Captain Britain, who just arrived in the mail, is bloody fantastic! I can't say I'm all that fond of his "classic" look but the modern take that the Abomination-wave figure is based on is really, really nice. He's got the obligatory union jack-inspired chest deco, of course, but the white pants, gloves and really well-sculpted boots keep him from being a Vindicator-style jackass in a flag suit. The buckle-up boots have an old-timey feel while the gloves almost make him look like a bare-knuckle boxer, an impression that the simplistic helmet doesn't do anything to dispel. The figure's got a ton of personality, and mine is executed very well, with sharp paint apps all around.

I don't recall Brian Braddock being this much of a giant in any of the appearances I've read, but the character design lends itself to being a big bruiser of a figure so I don't especially mind.

He's technically last year's product even though the wave is only finally becoming available in my end of Canada now (and only on Amazon, at that...most brick and mortar retailers skipped the wave on account of being flooded with Whirlwind and Cottonmouth), and at first blush I'd say he's one of the top Legends figures of 2016. Now he just needs a new Nightcrawler to hang out with!

Old 2017-04-04, 04:15 PM   #1035
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
They've made about 482 different Caps over the course of the line, so finding one you like shouldn't be too difficult. If you're talking about the one I think you are, it seems pretty cool. They do so many Cap variants that I find it hard to get all that excited about any of them, though.
The one I'm interested in is below - I think it's a good mix of what I am looking for. Being pretty much out of the game since the get-go on these things there's a bunch of catching up to do. It'll probably have to wait for a while though, as I made another purchase (more on that later). Truth is, never even cared for Cap Am much before until I saw the recent-ish movies.

Quote:
But Captain Britain, who just arrived in the mail, is bloody fantastic!
I had to look that one up... that's a great looking figure, even though I don't know the character at all (my comic experience is relegated to mid-late '90s, giant blank space, mid-2000's, mostly DC and Image). He's a beast! The color combo on that figure really pops too.

Speaking of 'giant' figures, I came across Colossus this morning... and couldn't say no. Compared to the Wolverine I just got, he appears to be rather massive but I haven't cracked him open yet. Always wanted the Uncanny X-Men figure from way back (the one that came with the big barbell) to go with the Uncanny Wolverine I had, but never got one. Now I've got a giant, updated one!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51rjlvVrPrL._SY300_.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	11639  

Old 2017-04-04, 08:25 PM   #1036
Warcry

Quote:
The one I'm interested in is below - I think it's a good mix of what I am looking for.
That's the one I thought you meant. It looks like a pretty good figure.

Quote:
Being pretty much out of the game since the get-go on these things there's a bunch of catching up to do. It'll probably have to wait for a while though, as I made another purchase (more on that later).
Catching up can be expensive. Depending on what you're after, anyway. Some of the aftermarket prices can be a bit much, and if you go back to stuff that's more than three or four years old the quality gets a lot spottier. But luckily with guys like Cap, there's always going to be more of them coming out.

Quote:
Truth is, never even cared for Cap Am much before until I saw the recent-ish movies.
I think that's a pretty sentiment. Cap had really fallen down the pecking order of Marvel heroes over the few decades preceding the movies. There was definitely a feeling that the character was outdated, especially outside of the US where we tend to look askance at the brand of American hyper-patriotism that he seemed to represent. But the movies (and Chris Evans in particular) made him cool again.

Quote:
I had to look that one up... that's a great looking figure, even though I don't know the character at all (my comic experience is relegated to mid-late '90s, giant blank space, mid-2000's, mostly DC and Image). He's a beast! The color combo on that figure really pops too.
I only know Captain Britain from a few issues of Excalibur and a couple X-Men crossovers, and like I said I didn't care much for his outfit there at all. I'm really surprised by how much I like the modern look that they used on the figure. Like you say, the colour combo really makes it pop. In person, I especially like the two different shades of blue they used.

Quote:
Speaking of 'giant' figures, I came across Colossus this morning... and couldn't say no. Compared to the Wolverine I just got, he appears to be rather massive but I haven't cracked him open yet. Always wanted the Uncanny X-Men figure from way back (the one that came with the big barbell) to go with the Uncanny Wolverine I had, but never got one. Now I've got a giant, updated one!
Lucky! I don't think I'll buy up the whole 2017 X-wave like I did with the 2016 stuff, but I've definitely got my eyes on a few figures from the set. Colossus and Dazzler for sure, and Sunfire looks really nice too. 90s Cyclops would be a must-have if he hadn't gotten such bad reviews, but now I'm thinking I might be happier with the 70s costume version that's coming in that box set with Dark Phoenix later this year.

Was the Wolverine you had as a kid this one? That was one of my favourite toys growing up, but the elbows eventually gave out.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	b8fcba922745e836d415b1b5a9fae127.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	11640  
Old 2017-04-04, 09:36 PM   #1037
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
Catching up can be expensive. Depending on what you're after, anyway. Some of the aftermarket prices can be a bit much, and if you go back to stuff that's more than three or four years old the quality gets a lot spottier. But luckily with guys like Cap, there's always going to be more of them coming out.
I don't plan on getting too much, and I don't really have the funds to go crazy with the aftermarket. I'm staying in the $20-25 range per figure, at least that's my goal. The other X-Men outside of Wolverine, Colossus, and perhaps Cyclops (which you said is pretty terrible) or Gambit don't interest me. And after that I'd really only be after Cap, Iron Man, and possibly the Winter Soldier, if I get movie Cap. If I stay with those 4-6, I'll be in good shape (and my wife won't kill me).

Quote:
Like you say, the colour combo really makes it pop. In person, I especially like the two different shades of blue they used.
Is one of the shades metallic? It looks to be in the pictures I have seen... it looks really sharp.

Quote:
Lucky! I don't think I'll buy up the whole 2017 X-wave like I did with the 2016 stuff, but I've definitely got my eyes on a few figures from the set. Colossus and Dazzler for sure, and Sunfire looks really nice too. 90s Cyclops would be a must-have if he hadn't gotten such bad reviews, but now I'm thinking I might be happier with the 70s costume version that's coming in that box set with Dark Phoenix later this year.
I saw Dazzler and Sunfire at Walgreens yesterday. Didn't know who they were, and wasn't interested. Can always pick them up if you really want, but you'd have to shuck out whatever it would cost to ship on top of it - probably not worth it.

Got to open Colossus a bit ago. Nice figure, but kinda bummed by his arm articulation. The shoulder joints have a ratchet likeness to them, and the gauntlets are done as such to limit the wrist movement. Elbows are only single jointed too. Otherwise, he's a hulking lug, and he'll look nice on the shelf. Point of contention though... for such a big figure, it's odd that Hasbro adds in a second head and two BAF pieces, whereas Old Wolvie came with absolutely nothing. You would have thought with the smaller figure they had budget to spare. In that case, a second, younger head would have been cool.

Quote:
Was the Wolverine you had as a kid this one? That was one of my favourite toys growing up, but the elbows eventually gave out.
Nope, I had the brown/yellow, non-moving elbows one. At the time, I had no idea why he came with a katana. When I was 11-ish I couldn't figure why he would need a sword when he had claws in his forearms! The removable mask was cool too, but it didn't stay on after a couple years of play.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71pPd+MjdVL._SY355_.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	11641  

Old 2017-04-05, 05:16 AM   #1038
Warcry

Quote:
I don't plan on getting too much, and I don't really have the funds to go crazy with the aftermarket. I'm staying in the $20-25 range per figure, at least that's my goal. The other X-Men outside of Wolverine, Colossus, and perhaps Cyclops (which you said is pretty terrible) or Gambit don't interest me. And after that I'd really only be after Cap, Iron Man, and possibly the Winter Soldier, if I get movie Cap. If I stay with those 4-6, I'll be in good shape (and my wife won't kill me).
You sound like me, a year ago.

"Oh, I've only got a Spider-Man and an Iron Man. I don't really collect this stuff!

Oh, War Machine! With a spot-on Don Cheadle head! That's pretty cool! Oh, and Ghost Rider!

Wait, what, they're doing a whole wave of X-Men?"

And now I have 30 of the things and counting.

Quote:
Is one of the shades metallic? It looks to be in the pictures I have seen... it looks really sharp.
The lighter blue is, yeah. The effect is subtler in person than it is on camera, but it's definitely a nice touch.

Quote:
I saw Dazzler and Sunfire at Walgreens yesterday. Didn't know who they were, and wasn't interested. Can always pick them up if you really want, but you'd have to shuck out whatever it would cost to ship on top of it - probably not worth it.
Thanks for offering, but I learned my lesson from importing last year's X-Men. Legends stuff is almost never hard to find up here. Even stuff that's completely invisible at retail eventually winds up on Amazon.ca, usually discounted below MSRP and with free shipping if I buy more than one at a time. Even last year's Wolverine was available from them (albeit as a preorder) for several weeks. Sometimes it takes a few months for stuff to show up there, but off hand I don't think they've skipped any waves over the last year.

Quote:
Got to open Colossus a bit ago. Nice figure, but kinda bummed by his arm articulation. The shoulder joints have a ratchet likeness to them, and the gauntlets are done as such to limit the wrist movement. Elbows are only single jointed too. Otherwise, he's a hulking lug, and he'll look nice on the shelf.
I saw the single-joint elbows in some other reviews. It's a disappointment but not a surprise. It seems like a lot of the really big figures get saddled with single-jointed elbows, albeit most of those are the build-a-figures. And of course, none of the female figs get double elbows either. Which is a shame. Double elbows really should be mandatory now, even more than double knees.

Quote:
Point of contention though... for such a big figure, it's odd that Hasbro adds in a second head and two BAF pieces, whereas Old Wolvie came with absolutely nothing. You would have thought with the smaller figure they had budget to spare. In that case, a second, younger head would have been cool.
My understanding is that they cost these things out by the wave rather than by the figure. Since Wolverine is packed two per case, doing him without any accessories is probably what let them pack a generous amount of accessories with everyone else in the wave (minus Cyclops, though Hasbro probably accounts for his belts/pouches the same way) at the same time as including a big-ass BAF like Warlock. I still think it's kinda chintzy, but I can understand it.

Quote:
Nope, I had the brown/yellow, non-moving elbows one. At the time, I had no idea why he came with a katana. When I was 11-ish I couldn't figure why he would need a sword when he had claws in his forearms! The removable mask was cool too, but it didn't stay on after a couple years of play.
We've totally had this conversation before, haven't we? I'm getting a flash of deja vu.

Either way, the 90s X-Men line was awesome. I only had a couple figures (that blue Wolverine and a Gambit), but my cousins had a few as well and they were always lots of fun.

Old 2017-04-05, 04:39 PM   #1039
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
You sound like me, a year ago.

"Oh, I've only got a Spider-Man and an Iron Man. I don't really collect this stuff!

Oh, War Machine! With a spot-on Don Cheadle head! That's pretty cool! Oh, and Ghost Rider!

Wait, what, they're doing a whole wave of X-Men?"

And now I have 30 of the things and counting.
That's the slippery slope, eh?

I did that with Star Wars Black Series a couple years ago... it all started with "Meh, I'm a 3 3/4" collector, who needs 6"... well, that Battlefront Shock Trooper does look mighty slick." Fast forward two years, and nearly all my 3 3/4" stuff has been sold off and now I have ~12 6" BS figures.

Now I just need to hold off the tidal wave of Marvel & DC figures...

But I think I'll need a Wonder Woman when the new flick comes out.

Quote:
Thanks for offering, but I learned my lesson from importing last year's X-Men.
I figured as much, but thought I'd put it out there.

Quote:
I saw the single-joint elbows in some other reviews. It's a disappointment but not a surprise. It seems like a lot of the really big figures get saddled with single-jointed elbows, albeit most of those are the build-a-figures. And of course, none of the female figs get double elbows either. Which is a shame. Double elbows really should be mandatory now, even more than double knees.
It really needs to be a requirement.

I can maybe see why they would do it with Colossus, in case you're having him heft things/people around in your collection and need the extra tightness. In a way it neuters him, but not enough to make me dislike him. He's an absolute mountain on my shelf; Wolverine's head comes well under his shoulder, and the K-2SO I just bought (that's a head taller than Vader and Phasma) only comes to Colossus' chin. It's really darn impressive!

Quote:
My understanding is that they cost these things out by the wave rather than by the figure.
That makes a lot of sense. I was at another Walgreens on my commute home (I miscounted earlier, we have 4 in the town I live in) and they had the whole wave. Amongst the two sets they had in stock, there were 3-4 Old Wolvies to 1-2 of everything else.

Quote:
We've totally had this conversation before, haven't we? I'm getting a flash of deja vu.

Either way, the 90s X-Men line was awesome. I only had a couple figures (that blue Wolverine and a Gambit), but my cousins had a few as well and they were always lots of fun.
Come to think of it, I believe we have... or something very similar at least!

Old age must be setting in.

Old 2017-04-06, 05:35 PM   #1040
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
soc gett pos
Typos my arse. At least I don't have to give anyone a prize now.

ANYWAY, my Soul of Chogokin Getter Poseidon is here and he is officially better than all of you.

Can't quite get the waist to peg in securely and I think I've pushed the head in too far, but other than that he is awesome.

I am happy.

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote