The Transformers Archive Skip to main content / Also skip section headers

[The Transformers Archive - an international fan site]
Please feel free to log in or register.

 
  • transformers toys
  • transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > Other Toys, Cartoons & Comics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2017-04-06, 08:20 PM   #1041
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix
 
Skyquake87's Avatar
 
Default

Lego Speed Champions 75877 Mercedes-AMG GT3

Liked the look of this, so I bought it. Decent parts count and build for your 13. Stickers are a pain in the arse, and I've stuck them on a bit wonky (as usual), but the end result is ace. This being Lego, its quite a bit more boxy and upright than the real thing, but it looks really good. I like the swap out nose, spoiler and hubs. Definitely one of the better sets from this line IMO.
 
Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-07, 04:27 PM   #1042
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
 
Brendocon 2.0's Avatar
 
UK
Red face

It's not as cool as Getter Poseidon BUT OMG MARVEL LEGENDS H.E.R.B.I.E!

Actual legitimate fully branded Fantastic Four merchandise guys.

Oh and it also comes with a Sue Richards figure.

The semi-translucent idea is nice in theory, but I wish they'd done more than most of an arm and a spare hand. Especially as it means you can see the (single joint) elbow peg in the upper arm.

Fairly underwhelming paint job, but there's not really a lot you can do with the FF costume, tbh. Also interesting that the box picture has the solid hand as a closed fist when it's actually a gripping hand. Ho hum.

ACTUAL FANTASTIC FOUR MARVEL LEGENDS GUYS.
 
Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-07, 06:07 PM   #1043
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.
 
Warcry's Avatar
 
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
Actual legitimate fully branded Fantastic Four merchandise guys.
Wait, people still care about the Fantastic Four? Between Fox and Marvel themselves, I thought the franchise had been successfully smothered to death. Which is a shame because they used to be awesome decades ago, before someone decided that them being a role model happy family wasn't cool, edgy or modern enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
I did that with Star Wars Black Series a couple years ago... it all started with "Meh, I'm a 3 3/4" collector, who needs 6"... well, that Battlefront Shock Trooper does look mighty slick." Fast forward two years, and nearly all my 3 3/4" stuff has been sold off and now I have ~12 6" BS figures.
I've managed to stop my Star Wars collecting with just Vader, Jango and a few troopers, but that's partly because they're just not all that good compared to the Marvel stuff. Hasbro's cut back on the articulation (elbows in particular) compared to the first waves and definitely prioritizes look over poseability, so the last few figures I bought just aren't all that much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
Now I just need to hold off the tidal wave of Marvel & DC figures...
I hope you have better luck than I.

But something tells me you'll have 10+ of the things before the year's out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
I can maybe see why they would do it with Colossus, in case you're having him heft things/people around in your collection and need the extra tightness. In a way it neuters him, but not enough to make me dislike him. He's an absolute mountain on my shelf; Wolverine's head comes well under his shoulder, and the K-2SO I just bought (that's a head taller than Vader and Phasma) only comes to Colossus' chin. It's really darn impressive!
I suspect that with big figures like Colossus (or the BAFs) they don't think that the double joint will be able to support the weight of the huge forearms. those little elbow pieces that connect the forearms to the biceps are pretty flimsy-looking, after all, and if it's just a single joint they can make it more robust. Understanding it doesn't mean that I like it, and I'm sure they could engineer around it if they wanted to, but it's nowhere near as egregious as the half-assed single elbows they slap onto all of their female figures.

But enough of that, what colour was that Wolverine you had as a kid?
 
Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-08, 02:42 PM   #1044
HeavyArms
Unicron
 
HeavyArms's Avatar
 
Karingal, Victoria, Australia
Default

Lego Batman Movie 70902 Catwoman Catcycle Chase

Lego Star Wars 75165 Imperial Trooper Battle Pack
 

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-08, 04:04 PM   #1045
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix
 
Tetsuro's Avatar
 
Suomi Finland Perkele
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
ANYWAY, my Soul of Chogokin Getter Poseidon is here and he is officially better than all of you.
Sweet, I still need to pick up that one and Liger to go with my Dragon.

How're the treads on yours?
 
Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-08, 04:35 PM   #1046
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix
 
Skyquake87's Avatar
 
Default

Super Gobots Cy-Kill

Awesome vintage die-cast robo-bike funtimes. Definitely like this over the 3" version - if only because there's less cahnce of parts getting lost. looks a dude in robot and bike mode too! I like
 
Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-09, 01:40 PM   #1047
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
 
Brendocon 2.0's Avatar
 
UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuro View Post
Sweet, I still need to pick up that one and Liger to go with my Dragon.

How're the treads on yours?
Not a clue. They're still in the package as I'm keeping him on regular legs so didn't feel the need to much about with them.
 
Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-10, 02:44 PM   #1048
ganon578
GO BLUE!
 
ganon578's Avatar
 
NoCo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I've managed to stop my Star Wars collecting with just Vader, Jango and a few troopers, but that's partly because they're just not all that good compared to the Marvel stuff. Hasbro's cut back on the articulation (elbows in particular) compared to the first waves and definitely prioritizes look over poseability, so the last few figures I bought just aren't all that much fun.
That's pretty true, and I've only scratched the surface of the Marvel stuff. I've got Rey and Kylo Ren on my shelf, and lightsaber battle poses would work infinitely better with double elbows. You can just barely get them to hold a saber with both hands. In an odd twist, the ANH Luke that I have is double-elbowed. I can only think they did that because he's got a fabric tunic on that hides it all.

At this point, my main goal is to finish up my main-ish cast of ANH (Vader, Kenobi, Leia, Chewie, 3PO & R2) with the 40th anniversary stuff and shut it down... though I did buy a few RO figures, so you never know. I keep hearing the brand new Vader that comes with the fancy display stand is the bee's knees, so I plan to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I hope you have better luck than I.

But something tells me you'll have 10+ of the things before the year's out.
Well, there's a lot of year still left.

Friday night I managed to get a Cable at Walgreens. Really nice figure, with nothing that I can pick out that I'm disappointed with. Nicely in scale with everyone else, great articulation and sculpting, great accessories, trigger finger hands. I initially hadn't planned on him, but I figured he's somewhat an amalgamation of what I was looking for - Cyclops' son (so now I don't really need Cyclops, which is a turd as it is), comes with awesome guns (so now I don't need Punisher), and has a cybernetic arm (so now I don't need Winter Soldier). Three birds with one stone, perhaps?

I also was (stupidly) lucky to catch the brown/yellow Wolverine for $23 on Amazon with Prime shipping (who already went up to $55 mere hours (minutes?) after I placed my order. He'll arrive Tuesday! Woohoo!

And Rogue is looking nicer by the day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I suspect that with big figures like Colossus (or the BAFs) they don't think that the double joint will be able to support the weight of the huge forearms. those little elbow pieces that connect the forearms to the biceps are pretty flimsy-looking, after all, and if it's just a single joint they can make it more robust. Understanding it doesn't mean that I like it, and I'm sure they could engineer around it if they wanted to, but it's nowhere near as egregious as the half-assed single elbows they slap onto all of their female figures.
The elbows and shoulders on Colossus are really tight and well made, so that makes sense. The shoulders actually ratchet when moving them outward, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
But enough of that, what colour was that Wolverine you had as a kid?
You're killin' me Smalls.
 


3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-10, 05:47 PM   #1049
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.
 
Warcry's Avatar
 
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Default

Brend and co.: is Soul of Chogokin always obscenely expensive? I found out the other day they were making a version of the original Megazord but it's like $350 Canadian before shipping and basically the same size as a larger Masterpiece Transformer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
That's pretty true, and I've only scratched the surface of the Marvel stuff. I've got Rey and Kylo Ren on my shelf, and lightsaber battle poses would work infinitely better with double elbows. You can just barely get them to hold a saber with both hands. In an odd twist, the ANH Luke that I have is double-elbowed. I can only think they did that because he's got a fabric tunic on that hides it all.
The fabric outfits really put me off of collecting the human figures.

(Well, the fabric clothes plus the generally poor likenesses, anyway.)

Even on Vader it was kind of questionable, but figures like the new ANH Luke and Leia just look silly to me, and Palpatine is outright hilarious. In general I just don't think that fabric works on six-inch figures for anything other than capes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
At this point, my main goal is to finish up my main-ish cast of ANH (Vader, Kenobi, Leia, Chewie, 3PO & R2) with the 40th anniversary stuff and shut it down... though I did buy a few RO figures, so you never know. I keep hearing the brand new Vader that comes with the fancy display stand is the bee's knees, so I plan to upgrade.
I'd be interested in R2-D2 and C-3P0, assuming the new release of R2 is actually findable. Last time around he was choked out by stores full of Slave Leia and Greedo. Aside from that, I can't see myself dipping back into the Star Wars stuff unless they do a 6-inch Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
Friday night I managed to get a Cable at Walgreens. Really nice figure, with nothing that I can pick out that I'm disappointed with. Nicely in scale with everyone else, great articulation and sculpting, great accessories, trigger finger hands. I initially hadn't planned on him, but I figured he's somewhat an amalgamation of what I was looking for - Cyclops' son (so now I don't really need Cyclops, which is a turd as it is), comes with awesome guns (so now I don't need Punisher), and has a cybernetic arm (so now I don't need Winter Soldier). Three birds with one stone, perhaps?

I also was (stupidly) lucky to catch the brown/yellow Wolverine for $23 on Amazon with Prime shipping (who already went up to $55 mere hours (minutes?) after I placed my order. He'll arrive Tuesday! Woohoo!

And Rogue is looking nicer by the day...
Well, you've got good taste. If I was going to go back in time and only buy only three figures out of last year's X-wave it would definitely be Wolvie, Cable and Rogue. Cable in particular is probably my favourite out of all the Legends figures I own. The sculpt is super-detailed and the "cranky old man" face sculpt is especially nice, and so are the cyborg bits. I'm also really fond of the torso articulation, which is a lot smoother and more natural than what you usually see on a superhero figure. The body armour makes it really easy to hide that nice ball joint, and they didn't cheap out on the waist swivel like the female figures with that arrangement do. Plus like you say, sweet guns. Wolverine looks just like he stepped out of an 80s comic book, and has really good articulation too. And Rogue is really nice-looking, though she still suffers from the same articulation issues that most of Hasbro's female figures do. The leather jacket does wonders though, covering up some of the wonky proportions that female figures suffer from -- she doesn't look like she's got pipe-cleaners for arms!

Deadpool is really good too, but I don't really consider him an X-Men character even though he was in an X-Men wave, and I wouldn't count him as a must-have.

As for the rest...Kitty is neat and well-done. I like that they gave her a less-exaggerated physique and a "plain" face instead of making her look like an anorexic supermodel with giant tits like so many female figures. But if the character has an iconic costume (I would say she doesn't, since she changed them what felt like every six issues back in the day) this isn't it, and her power is impossible to capture in figure form, so I'd have no idea this was even a Kitty Pryde figure if she didn't come with a little Lockheed. Phoenix is pretty but can't ****ing stand. Iceman looks like he's made from soft candy, though he paints up nice if you're into customizing. And Havok is such a forgettable character that I wouldn't be able to recommend him even if he was great, because I constantly forget I even own one and every time I discuss the wave with someone, I need to check my shelf because I can't remember who the eighth figure was.

The Juggernaut BAF was really neat, but also so gigantic that I struggle to find anywhere to display it without seeming cramped.

[EDIT] And the new X-Men wave apparently hit Canada over the weekend, so I'll have to keep my eyes peeled!
 
Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-11, 08:47 AM   #1050
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
 
Brendocon 2.0's Avatar
 
UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Brend and co.: is Soul of Chogokin always obscenely expensive? I found out the other day they were making a version of the original Megazord but it's like $350 Canadian before shipping and basically the same size as a larger Masterpiece Transformer.
Getter Poseidon's my first direct encounter with the range. Cost me 120 (secondary market; no idea what it would have cost when originally released), and while it's about the same size as Masterpiece Prowl, it does far more to justify the price tag than any of the Takara Tomy stuff does. Great selection of accessories, hefty die cast parts, beautiful display stand. I could probably use this guy as a weapon to fend off an intruder if I wanted.

It seems to be one of those ranges where it's expensive, but for what you actually get you can understand why it's expensive. As with the Figuarts Turtles, Bandai look to be operating under the premise that if you're going to pay several hundred dollarpounds for a figure then you should get the best possible product for that money.

I'm not a huge fan of the original Voltron series (wasn't exposed to it at the right age), but if I were then I'd be fighting myself not to fork out the 300 that SoC GoLion is currently available for. But that's on the assumption that each individual lion is the same quality as Getter Poseidon. Which I'd expect they are, tbh.

I'd imagine that the Megazord is so expensive for similar reasons - it's five different SoC quality figures, plus the combination gimmick. I'm not the right person to ask, as I'm not a Power Rangers fan by any stretch, but I'd imagine in terms of materials and engineering and durability, it's probably the best Megazord you'll find.

I'd still recommend waiting for reviews though.
 
Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-11, 04:21 PM   #1051
ganon578
GO BLUE!
 
ganon578's Avatar
 
NoCo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
The fabric outfits really put me off of collecting the human figures.

(Well, the fabric clothes plus the generally poor likenesses, anyway.)

Even on Vader it was kind of questionable, but figures like the new ANH Luke and Leia just look silly to me, and Palpatine is outright hilarious. In general I just don't think that fabric works on six-inch figures for anything other than capes.
I think the ANH Luke has a good face likeness, but you're right about the tunic, it has a tendency to be puffy and takes some adjustments. Kylo Ren's hood has the same effect that Palpatine's does where it just doesn't lay quite right on the head. Luckily in that case, I can just pull Ren's hood down and it looks fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I'd be interested in R2-D2 and C-3P0, assuming the new release of R2 is actually findable. Last time around he was choked out by stores full of Slave Leia and Greedo. Aside from that, I can't see myself dipping back into the Star Wars stuff unless they do a 6-inch Grand Admiral Thrawn.
I've seen the 3PO at Walgreens, and he's really nice. The gold works well and everything is really sharp. Didn't pick him up yet, as the stores around me are stocked well. I plan on getting either that one or the reissue along with R2 if I can find him. That will complete my 6" droids, as I already have BB-8 and just recently got K2. Not into shelling out $20/fig for other random droids like the GameStop exclusive R4(?) that's coming (the red one with a 'bad motivator' on Tatooine in ANH). If they make a 6" Chopper though, I'm in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Well, you've got good taste. If I was going to go back in time and only buy only three figures out of last year's X-wave it would definitely be Wolvie, Cable and Rogue. Cable in particular is probably my favourite out of all the Legends figures I own. The sculpt is super-detailed and the "cranky old man" face sculpt is especially nice, and so are the cyborg bits. I'm also really fond of the torso articulation, which is a lot smoother and more natural than what you usually see on a superhero figure. The body armour makes it really easy to hide that nice ball joint, and they didn't cheap out on the waist swivel like the female figures with that arrangement do. Plus like you say, sweet guns. Wolverine looks just like he stepped out of an 80s comic book, and has really good articulation too. And Rogue is really nice-looking, though she still suffers from the same articulation issues that most of Hasbro's female figures do. The leather jacket does wonders though, covering up some of the wonky proportions that female figures suffer from -- she doesn't look like she's got pipe-cleaners for arms!
Thanks! Messed with Cable some more last night, and he's a great figure. The torso joint on Cable is more common on the Star Wars figures - for some reason their designs seem more catered to that joint, probably because all the superheroes are wearing spandex so it would be quite obvious. It doesn't even look that out of place on Kanan Jarrus.

The only disappointment I see with Rogue is the lack of anything to to with her. She doesn't come with extra hands does she? It would be cool to swap out the fists with something else, nor even a non-gloved hand would be cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Deadpool is really good too, but I don't really consider him an X-Men character even though he was in an X-Men wave, and I wouldn't count him as a must-have.
I think I'll pass on Deadpool, anyways. Nice looking figure, just don't really care for the character. Still haven't seen the movie yet though, going to do that this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
As for the rest...Kitty is neat and well-done. I like that they gave her a less-exaggerated physique and a "plain" face instead of making her look like an anorexic supermodel with giant tits like so many female figures. But if the character has an iconic costume (I would say she doesn't, since she changed them what felt like every six issues back in the day) this isn't it, and her power is impossible to capture in figure form, so I'd have no idea this was even a Kitty Pryde figure if she didn't come with a little Lockheed. Phoenix is pretty but can't ****ing stand. Iceman looks like he's made from soft candy, though he paints up nice if you're into customizing. And Havok is such a forgettable character that I wouldn't be able to recommend him even if he was great, because I constantly forget I even own one and every time I discuss the wave with someone, I need to check my shelf because I can't remember who the eighth figure was.
I think Rogue is the only remaining one out of the group I like. I've seen Kitty, Iceman, Havok, and Phoenix all in the stores and haven't been impressed at all. All four look fairly unimpressive, even though their likenesses might be OK. Not even sure I would bite on any of them at $10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
The Juggernaut BAF was really neat, but also so gigantic that I struggle to find anywhere to display it without seeming cramped.
This is the only reason I considered finishing the set, but I think based on what you mentioned I will stay away. I'm already rapidly running out of shelf space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
[EDIT]And the new X-Men wave apparently hit Canada over the weekend, so I'll have to keep my eyes peeled!
Good luck hunting! (or using Amazon)

Speaking of hunting, I used Brickseek and a DPCI on the 40th Anniversary Darth Vader to find one at my local Target (had to get a worker to dig them out of the back as they weren't on the shelf).

It's a bittersweet purchase. The figure is absolutely fantastic! The helmet sculpting is dead on (much better than the earlier BS figure), the quality is great, the fabric used flows and drapes well over the entire figure. The hands have been redone, so Vader now has a 'Force Choke' hand instead of 'Force Push', and the new design can accommodate a two-handed saber pose. The paint apps are crisp too, and the boots are much shinier. The saber hilt has been redone too, and can be hooked onto his belt; the blade is made of better red plastic to boot. I'm very pleased with this rendition, as it's pretty much a perfect figure (single jointed elbows though ). If you already have a Vader though, this one may not sway you to buy another. The bitter part is the $40 price tag. Vader comes with a really neat display setting for the 'Original 12' figures that will all be done in 6" scale. It will be great for the ANH ones I have, and will probably use with a couple other OT figures (not getting a Tusken Raider nor the Death Star guy). Anyways, I'm really happy with Vader, just not the rest of it... yet.
 


3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-11, 07:50 PM   #1052
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.
 
Warcry's Avatar
 
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
I'd imagine that the Megazord is so expensive for similar reasons - it's five different SoC quality figures, plus the combination gimmick. I'm not the right person to ask, as I'm not a Power Rangers fan by any stretch, but I'd imagine in terms of materials and engineering and durability, it's probably the best Megazord you'll find.
I guess where I'm left scratching my head is that the Megazord is a very pretty design, but it's not exactly a very complicated design. The individual components are all G1-style bricks to one degree or another, even as portrayed on the show (which I'm assuming is what they're trying to replicate). Triceratops, pterodactyl and mastadon basically aren't supposed to have any poseability at all, other than the latter's trunk, so there's not all that much you can do to "premium" them up. And even the tyrannosaurus and the saber-toothed tiger can't go much beyond what you'd see in a standard $20 Transformer without ruining the look. There's lots of possible combined modes and the combined robot looks like it's got solid articulation. I'm sure the finish on all of the individual figures is really nice, but I just can't fathom what they could do with the basic design that could possibly be worth that much money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
I'd still recommend waiting for reviews though.
Fair enough. Who knows, maybe it'll turn out that Bandai came up with something that'll just blow my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
I've seen the 3PO at Walgreens, and he's really nice. The gold works well and everything is really sharp. Didn't pick him up yet, as the stores around me are stocked well. I plan on getting either that one or the reissue along with R2 if I can find him. That will complete my 6" droids, as I already have BB-8 and just recently got K2. Not into shelling out $20/fig for other random droids like the GameStop exclusive R4(?) that's coming (the red one with a 'bad motivator' on Tatooine in ANH). If they make a 6" Chopper though, I'm in.
Yeah, 3PO looks great, but does anyone want just him? Without R2, it seems a bit pointless. Obviously there's a lot of folks that feel the same way, because all of my local EB Games stores are full of the guy.

And actually, speaking of droids, Black Series Episode I battle droids and driodekas would both be really fun. I'd imagine that the engineering required puts them pretty far down Hasbro's to-do list, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
Thanks! Messed with Cable some more last night, and he's a great figure. The torso joint on Cable is more common on the Star Wars figures - for some reason their designs seem more catered to that joint, probably because all the superheroes are wearing spandex so it would be quite obvious. It doesn't even look that out of place on Kanan Jarrus.
You're spot on, I think. Cable's abdominal ball joint looks really out of place on most of the superhero figures that try it. A lot of the Japanese manufacturers use it on characters that are supposed to be wearing skintight suits, and it never quite looks right. The ab crunch that Legends figures use blends into the sculpt a lot better even though it doesn't give the same range of motion as Cable has.

The Star Wars figures I own all integrate the joint very well, but then all of the Star Wars figures I own are armoured so it's not that hard to do. Most of them don't get the same easy range of motion that Cable has though, and most of them are lacking the separate waist swivel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
The only disappointment I see with Rogue is the lack of anything to to with her. She doesn't come with extra hands does she? It would be cool to swap out the fists with something else, nor even a non-gloved hand would be cool.
She does come with an ungloved hand, actually, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the "cuff" piece on her wrist will slide off to complete the look. It'd be nice if they made some villains for her to steal powers from in the next few waves, though. Most of the time I'll have her in flying poses using ghetto-rigged flight stands that I made from coathangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
I think Rogue is the only remaining one out of the group I like. I've seen Kitty, Iceman, Havok, and Phoenix all in the stores and haven't been impressed at all. All four look fairly unimpressive, even though their likenesses might be OK. Not even sure I would bite on any of them at $10.
Yeah, I had high hopes for both Iceman and Phoenix but in person they were really disappointing. The only reason I'd recommend them (or Havok) is if you wanted to complete the BAF, especially since a better Phoenix (albeit in evil colours) is coming out this year. And honestly you could probably get the parts cheaper on eBay than what they'd cost you, even on clearance. And Kitty is nice but completely non-essential even if you really like the character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
This is the only reason I considered finishing the set, but I think based on what you mentioned I will stay away. I'm already rapidly running out of shelf space.
He's approximately the size of a Leader-class Transformer, if that gives a good sense of scale. Probably takes up as much shelf space as three or four regular figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
It's a bittersweet purchase. The figure is absolutely fantastic! The helmet sculpting is dead on (much better than the earlier BS figure), the quality is great, the fabric used flows and drapes well over the entire figure. The hands have been redone, so Vader now has a 'Force Choke' hand instead of 'Force Push', and the new design can accommodate a two-handed saber pose. The paint apps are crisp too, and the boots are much shinier. The saber hilt has been redone too, and can be hooked onto his belt; the blade is made of better red plastic to boot. I'm very pleased with this rendition, as it's pretty much a perfect figure (single jointed elbows though ). If you already have a Vader though, this one may not sway you to buy another. The bitter part is the $40 price tag. Vader comes with a really neat display setting for the 'Original 12' figures that will all be done in 6" scale. It will be great for the ANH ones I have, and will probably use with a couple other OT figures (not getting a Tusken Raider nor the Death Star guy). Anyways, I'm really happy with Vader, just not the rest of it... yet.
That definitely sounds like an improvement, but not enough of an improvement to be worth tracking down when I've already got the previous one. Especially at that price and coming with a display base that I'd never, ever use.
 
Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-11, 11:23 PM   #1053
burnitall
Triple Changer
 
burnitall's Avatar
 
Washington
Default

Picked up a Star Wars Black Series 6" AT-ACT driver. Just a white shoretrooper. Apparently I am a whore for shoretroopers.
 
burnitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 03:06 PM   #1054
ganon578
GO BLUE!
 
ganon578's Avatar
 
NoCo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitall View Post
Picked up a Star Wars Black Series 6" AT-ACT driver. Just a white shoretrooper. Apparently I am a whore for shoretroopers.
That's a good looking figure though! I thought about it as they had quite a stock at Target the other day. But I passed on it in lieu of the 40th Anniversary Vader pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Yeah, 3PO looks great, but does anyone want just him? Without R2, it seems a bit pointless. Obviously there's a lot of folks that feel the same way, because all of my local EB Games stores are full of the guy.
Right on point. I don't want a lone 3PO either, so I'll wait until I have R2. I think the recent novelty was that he was the first (not including the red arm version) 6" BS 3PO available, whereas R2 was already available. Indeed, packing him by his lonesome hasn't made the fandom go crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
And actually, speaking of droids, Black Series Episode I battle droids and driodekas would both be really fun. I'd imagine that the engineering required puts them pretty far down Hasbro's to-do list, though.
Probably not, but the battle droids might not be as tricky as you think. They did wonders with the thin limbs of K2, so that might translate well. I bet army builders would surely go for them. Super battle droids should be easy too. Droidekas, on the other hand take a bit more thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
You're spot on, I think. Cable's abdominal ball joint looks really out of place on most of the superhero figures that try it. A lot of the Japanese manufacturers use it on characters that are supposed to be wearing skintight suits, and it never quite looks right. The ab crunch that Legends figures use blends into the sculpt a lot better even though it doesn't give the same range of motion as Cable has.

The Star Wars figures I own all integrate the joint very well, but then all of the Star Wars figures I own are armoured so it's not that hard to do. Most of them don't get the same easy range of motion that Cable has though, and most of them are lacking the separate waist swivel.
The armoring is a good point. It works fantastically on troopers. I think plastic molded baggy clothes helps as well, like Anakin's Jedi garb. There's a joint there, and it's well hidden. Doesn't have Cable's range of motion though, and like you mentioned, no waist to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
She does come with an ungloved hand, actually, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the "cuff" piece on her wrist will slide off to complete the look. It'd be nice if they made some villains for her to steal powers from in the next few waves, though. Most of the time I'll have her in flying poses using ghetto-rigged flight stands that I made from coathangers.
She does? That's great! I saw some photos on Toyark of the loose figure and saw an ungloved hand, but figured it was something from another figure. Couldn't tell from the photos that it comes in the box. That also explains the lack of cuff on the forearm. That might tip me in the direction of purchase.

On my way to 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
He's approximately the size of a Leader-class Transformer, if that gives a good sense of scale. Probably takes up as much shelf space as three or four regular figures.
It does. I barely have space for TR PM Prime & Soundwave, CW Megs & Starscream, and two Combiners as it is. And I plan on adding Sky Shadow to the mix too. Running out of shelves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
That definitely sounds like an improvement, but not enough of an improvement to be worth tracking down when I've already got the previous one. Especially at that price and coming with a display base that I'd never, ever use.
It really is a nicer figure, but I don't think it's enough to push normal consumers or more casual BS collectors for a second purchase. Vader has been a favorite of mine since I was really young, so it was a no brainer for me. The stand isn't really special, but I think it will spruce up my shelf a bit and help with some organization.
 


3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 08:39 PM   #1055
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.
 
Warcry's Avatar
 
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Default

Vader would probably run about $60 here if he's $40 there, and that's just silly for a standard retail action figure with a useless accessory. But he sounds awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
Probably not, but the battle droids might not be as tricky as you think. They did wonders with the thin limbs of K2, so that might translate well. I bet army builders would surely go for them. Super battle droids should be easy too. Droidekas, on the other hand take a bit more thought.
That's true, and they also did an IG-88 that had some pretty unconventional articulation as well. So the standard battle droids shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The Episode II droids were pretty humanoid in form, so I wouldn't anticipate any trouble engineering those. But they're not nearly as iconic as the Ep. I guys, are they? If they're only just getting around to making Lando, I'm not sure they'd be high on the list. A lot of the less-iconic army-builder generic troopers seem to shelfwarm really badly, at least around here. Flametroopers and at least one other Ep VII variant are still flooding my local stores, and I don't think the Rogue One stuff moved all that great either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
On my way to 10+
Being a bad influence is fun!

Seriously though, I think you'll like Rogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
It does. I barely have space for TR PM Prime & Soundwave, CW Megs & Starscream, and two Combiners as it is. And I plan on adding Sky Shadow to the mix too. Running out of shelves!
I know that feeling all too well!
 
Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-14, 07:48 AM   #1056
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix
 
Skyquake87's Avatar
 
Default

Batman : The Animated Series Catwoman
A bunch of the 6" DC Animated figures have started washing up in B&M shops over here and I lucked out on finding a Catwoman (with whip, Isis the cat and a necklace) for 7.99. So I'm a happy bunny.
 
Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-14, 02:02 PM   #1057
ganon578
GO BLUE!
 
ganon578's Avatar
 
NoCo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Vader would probably run about $60 here if he's $40 there, and that's just silly for a standard retail action figure with a useless accessory. But he sounds awesome.
It's never fun when price points push out the general collectors at mass retail. I still find it very painful to pay the prices for Leader class TFs, as good as they may be. ...That doesn't mean I still don't do it ('cause I have no willpower).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
The Episode II droids were pretty humanoid in form, so I wouldn't anticipate any trouble engineering those. But they're not nearly as iconic as the Ep. I guys, are they? If they're only just getting around to making Lando, I'm not sure they'd be high on the list. A lot of the less-iconic army-builder generic troopers seem to shelfwarm really badly, at least around here. Flametroopers and at least one other Ep VII variant are still flooding my local stores, and I don't think the Rogue One stuff moved all that great either.
Nah, I don't think they'd waste their time... yet. The Ep. I-III stuff doesn't seem to get made as much as OT, and there's still a ton of stuff to do for OT. There isn't even a Dooku yet!

I think Hasbro (and Disney) are more interested in pushing the latest movie/show stuff before dribbling out more classic characters at a snails pace. That's how we ended up with mass amounts of peg warming Jyns and Cassians. Hell, they even made Rebels characters far in advance of more prominent characters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Being a bad influence is fun!
You're doing a fantastic job of it, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Seriously though, I think you'll like Rogue.
I get that feeling too. From what you've told me about the accessories(y?) and overall quality, I think I'm in. Now I just need to convince my wife I need one as well. She'll look pretty nice up there with Colossus, Wolvie, and Cable.

I also stumbled across the DC Icons figures on the web the other day. Nice looking figures! They seem to have all the joints as the Marvel Legends/SW BS figures do, minus the thigh twist. I'm really high on the Aquaman, as I had the old Kenner Super Powers one (with deep sea kick action!)

Seems like they're overpriced though. The MSRP is about $30 USD? Amazon has them in the range of $20-24, though, so I may have to give one a shot. The scale looks just a tiny bit smaller than the ML figures though...
 


3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52

Last edited by ganon578; 2017-04-14 at 02:40 PM.
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 02:52 PM   #1058
ganon578
GO BLUE!
 
ganon578's Avatar
 
NoCo
Default

Warcry, Thrawn just became a reality, so prepare your wallet. It'll start as an exclusive, but it'll probably get released at mass retail without all the stuff:

Thrawn
 


3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 03:48 PM   #1059
burnitall
Triple Changer
 
burnitall's Avatar
 
Washington
Default

Oh, no. I'm going to need that Thrawn. And Tarkin. And better headed Luke. And... the rest.
 
burnitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-17, 02:04 PM   #1060
ganon578
GO BLUE!
 
ganon578's Avatar
 
NoCo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitall View Post
Oh, no. I'm going to need that Thrawn. And Tarkin. And better headed Luke. And... the rest.
Yeah I know, me too... and it's not like I even know much of the character! The figure just looks really good. I like Tarkin too, and he'll look good with the new Vader.

I was never much into the Tie Pilots, but that Battlefront one looks amazing as well...

Oh, and I did manage to pick up DC Icons Aquaman this weekend - I'm really torn on this figure. The price tag I think is part of it (these seem to retail for $25-30 USD) and the scale is the other. It's a 6" inch figure, but a true 6". So while other figures like Marvel Legends, Star Wars Black Series, and even DC Multiverse have a certain 'size' to them, the DC Icons line looks small in comparison. Aquaman stands about as tall as Wolverine from ML. He's really tiny compared to the older DC Universe figures, and looks like a teenager when standing amongst them.

That said, the detail and sculpting is outstanding. The plastic is very high quality, and he comes with a great amount of accessories. He's got two heads: the normal one and one with a transparent cone to look like he's communicating with the sea creatures. He's got his classic trident, and also three sets of hands: fists, trident-holding hands, and open-ish hands (so you can point his fingers to his forehead a bit when the communo-head is attached). Aquaman has a good deal of articulation, but I find that both of the torso joints don't offer much range, which is sad - they're just really tight. I thought I would be bothered by the lack of a thigh swivel, but it's really not much of an issue. His ankles have great range, so the feet can even tilt upward a bit. I wish his head had a bit more up/down range too; if you want him to 'swim' with a flight stand, he can't look up.

Anyways, he's a really solid figure, but there's a little disappointment with him. I'm tempted to get Batman too (or Lex, he looks awesome), but I think you've really got to be all or nothing on these, as they won't fit in with most other 6" figure lines.
 


3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52

Last edited by ganon578; 2017-04-17 at 02:40 PM.
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 
 
[the-hub.co.uk]
[transfans.co.uk]
[oneshallstand]
[unicron.com]
[counter-x.net]
[ntfa.net]
[allspark.com]
[transformertoys.co.uk]
[tfu.info]
[botchthecrab.com]
[obscure_tf]
[tfradio.net]
 

[TFArchive button]
Link graphics...

BOOKMARK US
Or in FF, hit Ctrl+D.