• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > General Discussion

Old 2002-04-09, 11:59 PM   #21
Plasmodium
Groovy

Canada
Wink

Burn Military Police? Now why would I want to do that?

Plasmodium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-04-10, 02:01 AM   #22
The Green Knight
Banned

Private office on top of the TF Archive Bar & Gril

Well, remember folks, Intel has already described their ultimate enemy, and it's name is YOU.

"The actual user of the PC -- someone who can do any thing they want -- is the enemy."

Do you honestly think other corporations think higher of you? You think the RIAA and the companies it represents are happy that you can buy CDs and have the music on hand? (which seems like a fair trade, since they get to keep your cash.) Hell no, they'd rather have it so that you pay, and then only get to hear the music, not actually have a copy of it somewhere, like through a PPV type thing, or a Divx-like system (the bastardized version of DVD, not the video codec of the same name.)

All corporations think like this, it's just most of them are smart enough not to advertise it.

Except for CobraCo Ltd. We love our customers. No, we really do, our enemy is not the consumer; it's Canada!
No, I'm kidding, that's just to rile Blaster up a bit, our real enemies are Clowns. I hate clowns!! They're evil! Rights to the consumer, power to the people, and death to the clowns!!!

The Green Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-04-10, 05:42 AM   #23
Pun-3X
Clinically dead since 1996

Nevada

As Denyer stated, it all falls under the Fair Use Act. They tried this kind of thing with VCRs, where you had to call in to activate your VCR to record something on TV. Certain stations would be able to send a cable signal through your cable to your TV that would blockrecording properties on your VCR (which would have a chip in it to receive this info) This was all never ever done, but it was brought forward nonetheless. They try this crap all the time.

DVD/CD burning falls under the same category. Skywarp, you and I know damn well that "it's meant for burning backup-data" is the starter-line ONLY. While it's true, it's shortsighted and simply playing dumb if you stop there. Ultrasabre's example of the commercial CLEARLY showed the guy recording MUSIC (which is also a form of "data") This is advertised on all sorts of equipment as well--CD Stereo players advertise "CD-R/RW playable!" You don't play educational software on your stereo, I don't think. It's not just to back up important data from your computer, game programs or anything else you can think of--which is also quite useful.

How is this illegal act legal? Again, Fair Use Act. The "cannot duplicate in any way" written on the backs of CDs is put there for this reason--if they WANT TO, they can take legal action. It allows them to if they wish to, but it is not required of them.

However, NO SUCH LAW is written to prevent JVC from making a 3-CD stereo that is CD-R/RW playable. None. No such law prevents a burner from being made. If Burners are illegal, so are VCRs. You're aware that VCRs have "record" abilities on them? You do know that VHS tapes have that same copyright warning on their backs, right? You are also aware how long both have been in existance, correct?

And don't give me this "they're meant to record TV programs only!" stuff. That's an "also," not an "only."

With VCRs we shut up. With DVDs and CDs we're putting up a fuss?

But what it comes down to, the laws here never pass. And they never will. And if they do, people will get around it.

And again with CDs and overcharging. How many times have the courts out here ruled that CDs are overpriced? Do they do anything about it? Nope. That's not to say you should resort to illegal acts, but I've said it before, I'll say it again---Fair Use. Goway.

Last edited by Pun-3X; 2002-04-10 at 05:46 AM.
Pun-3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-04-10, 06:14 AM   #24
Blaster_86

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake

Except for CobraCo Ltd. We love our customers. No, we really do, our enemy is not the consumer; it's Canada!
YOU GO TO HELL! YOU GOTO HELL AND YOU DIE! [/Mr.Garrison]

Old 2002-04-10, 06:33 AM   #25
The Green Knight
Banned

Private office on top of the TF Archive Bar & Gril

Eh? What's this all aboot?

Sorry, I can't resist.

But it's all in good, clean, wholesome fun.

*tosses a Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 watt range and a bottle of Uncle Snake's Olde Tyme Whiskey to Blaster. Then draws his Voltairic Carbine and slugs down some booze.

Come on; let's go wipe out some clowns. They're all evil, like that John Wayne Gacy who murdered 33 people, so it's legal to do.

The Green Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-04-10, 07:16 AM   #26
Shrapnel Clone
Modder Eter

The Netherlands

[trying to get the topic on-topic again]

You know, the guy from the commercial might have made his own music, and burned that to a cd. not illegal at all, but very unlikely

"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper
Shrapnel Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-04-10, 07:26 AM   #27
Grimlock
The name's Lock. Grim Lock. License to be smooth.

Suffragette City, Oooh Wham! Bam! Thank You Maam!

Mp3's are legal for 24 hours, then you must delete them from your computer unless you own the artists cd.

"Among those fans there's at least one guy for whom you're a hero. He saved money to see you! That's what I did. I played for that guy." - Bruce Springsteen (1987)
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-04-10, 02:04 PM   #28
S

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultrasabre
It is ok to burn music, as long as you don't go around selling the copies.
Well, just because advertisers use it as a selling argument doesn't make it right, much less lawful. What it boils down to is that it's easy to copy music or other data you haven't paid for, but it's still stealing.

I bet the world would be a better place if nobody ever paid for anything: all movies would be made with shoestring budgets, ditto for computer games, music, books (okay, books probably wouldn't be affected. There would be just less variety), tv-shows, ... :rolleyes:

- S
S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-04-10, 02:55 PM   #29
Starscreamsghost
Banned

Smile

Here's my real gripe: who the hell gives anyone the right to accuse the record industry of being "greedy"?!? They're greedy because they want to CHARGE you for the product they sell? Those bastards. They should rot.

Honestly, put it in this perspective: I'm an aspiring author. If I manage to get a book published, how do you think I'd feel if some nine-to-fiver transcribes the book onto the internet and gives it away to anyone who wants it? Is it wrong for me to want people to buy my book? Is it GREEDY of the publisher to want people to pay for it? Get real.

Quote:
Originally posted by S
I bet the world would be a better place if nobody ever paid for anything: all movies would be made with shoestring budgets, ditto for computer games, music, books (okay, books probably wouldn't be affected. There would be just less variety), tv-shows, ... :rolleyes:
Ah, that sweet sweet smell of Communism...

Starscreamsghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-04-10, 03:26 PM   #30
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Another point is this "it takes 15 cents to make a CD" bullshit. Yes, making a CD itself costs about this much. But it costs more than that per copy to make an album. Labels have to pay for recording contracts, studio time, even things like designing a decent cover and printing the notes inside costs a fair whack. And in your $20 or whatever, there's the cut for the artist who went to the effort of writing and/or recording this for you. Record companies are companies, they need to turn a profit. So CDs are priced so as to make a profit. If there wasn't profit, there would be no Record companies, and no way of getting music... No one would sign bands, give them advances and studio time to make albums.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-04-10, 03:49 PM   #31
Ultrasabre

Albuquerque NM
Red face For gods sake man...

oops

My grandma Perfelia Gutierrez was Born June 6, 1928 and died March 14, 2002. RIP Grandma.

My simpathy goes out to those who lost loved ones on 9-11-01.

Last edited by Ultrasabre; 2002-04-10 at 03:56 PM.
Ultrasabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-04-10, 04:42 PM   #32
nmathew
Matrix Keeper

Bay Area

Well, this is how I understand free use. I could be wrong, but I recall reading this from a semi-reputable source.

I buy a CD. I have a CD player on my stereo. I can play it on my stereo. I have a tape player in my car, though. I can record it onto a tape, and play it there. CD safely in it's jewel case at home where my roomate isn't going to listen to it. I can also convert it into mp3 (or better yet Vorbis) for use on my computer. You have the right/ability to enjoy that music in a format you can actually use.

Now, I can think of lots of reasons to be able to burn music cd's. I'm in a band, trying to distribute our music. I'm recording music in the public domain. Etc.
________
Half-Baked

Last edited by nmathew; 2011-04-20 at 06:43 AM.
nmathew is offline   Reply With Quote