• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2009-04-19, 05:09 PM   #1
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile Akira DVD question

Okay, I need some slightly weird help here... When I first saw Akira on TV, and then bought it on VHS, it had the Leonardo off TMNT dub. But the DVD I scabbed for free off a magazine a year or so ago has some new dub or other that's probably more accurate to the Japanese source or some bollocks, and it isn't right - too many of the lines are different, and Kaneda no longer sounds like Leonardo off TMNT. I was wondering whether anyone knew if the Leonardo dub got as far as DVD, and if so if they knew which covers were which...

Ta.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 05:23 PM   #2
DrSpengler
Primus

Well, I can tell you this much...

The Streamline dub of Akira (the one featuring Cam Clarke/Leonardo) was not released on DVD in R1 by Pioneer, who did the Jonny Yong Bosch/Adam the Black Power Ranger dub.

To my knowledge, the Streamline dub has only been made available in R2 as part of a multi-disk special edition, the precise title/cover of said special edition I'm afraid I can't help you with (which is what you asked for, so sorry).

But if you look for "Akira R2 2-disk set" that might give you something to go on.

DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 05:27 PM   #3
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

By the look of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_(film)#Home_video

Quote:
In 2002, Manga released a two-disc DVD featuring the new Pioneer English dub followed in 2004 by another two-disc set containing the original Japanese as well as both the Streamline and Pioneer dubs.
You want the 2004 double disc set. Though a scan of Amazon only shows up 2002 and earlier releases...

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 05:41 PM   #4
the_escaflowne_2k
Gestalt

Under a cloud, no atlas though [Manchester].

This be the correct one, my 2002 copy has a different cover (simply black with "Akira" across the front).

"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
the_escaflowne_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 06:28 PM   #5
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

IT EVEN HAS THE 'RIGHT' COVER!

Awesomeness, cheers guys Now to see if there's one cheap on ebay

Old 2009-04-19, 07:48 PM   #6
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_escaflowne_2k View Post
This be the correct one, my 2002 copy has a different cover (simply black with "Akira" across the front).

That's the one shown on Amazon. See, aren't we a wonderfully helpful bunch of people at times?

Is Akira actually any good then?

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 09:13 PM   #7
DrSpengler
Primus

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Is Akira actually any good then?
My weevoo.

It's very pretty to look at. Very pretty.

It somewhat suffers from the usual "too smart for their own good" syndrome that a lot of anime tends to. You know, "Matrix sequels" syndrome.

But compared to a lot of stuff, it really isn't that bad and manages to compress a tremendously lengthy comic series into 2 hours pretty well. Certainly better than a lot of other attempts, like that pretty-but-awful "X: The Movie".

I enjoy it, partially out of nostalgia and partially because it is a pretty good flick.

If the story doesn't grab you, then at the very least, the music and animation quality should keep you entertained for the 2 hours and some change.

DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 09:30 PM   #8
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Yeh, at the risk of being called a dullard I've got to say I prefer the biker gang stuff to the actual later story. There's probably a bit too much going on for the good of the film in the last half hour. That said, it's a must-see just for the style, if nothing else.

Think of it, perhaps, as the Citizen Kane of anime.

Old 2009-04-20, 12:17 AM   #9
CounterPunch
One with the Matrix

What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_escaflowne_2k View Post
If that is the one that comes with two separate boxes then thats what I got, I had a look at the credits but there were no english dub voice actors credited, only the japanese, and Im not familiar enough with TMHT/NT anymore to be able to recognise Leonardos voice straight away

CounterPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 06:25 AM   #10
the_escaflowne_2k
Gestalt

Under a cloud, no atlas though [Manchester].

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterPunch View Post
If that is the one that comes with two separate boxes then thats what I got, I had a look at the credits but there were no english dub voice actors credited, only the japanese, and Im not familiar enough with TMHT/NT anymore to be able to recognise Leonardos voice straight away
Yup that's the one, the 2002 (with new dub) set comes in a fold out case with some artcards and stickers.

"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
the_escaflowne_2k is offline   Reply With Quote